Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cwood1cwood1 Posts: 4
    :confuse: Ok so now the Honda Dealer is telling me I have burnt valves (more than one, apparently) and need to have the head replaced. Can anyone tell me what causes burnt valves and does that really mean that the head needs to be replaced? Does this sound reasonable? I'm not very car savvy, but that seems extreme to me. Is this all because of using non-Honda spark plugs? :confuse:
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    " Is this all because of using non-Honda spark plugs? "

Definately not. I don't know the symptoms of burnt valves, but maybe someone else who knows here can chime in.
  • tracyptracyp Posts: 1
    I just bought my CRV 4WD EX AT yesterday. I was looking at it last night and it looks like the black cloth interior is faded in the back seat where the back of your knees would touch and under the front seat headrests. It looks like maybe it was faded from the sun but I don't think much sun would make it to that part of the back seat. Also, the fade is so even all the way across it couldn't have been from the sun. Has anyone else seen this? What should I do about it?
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Are you sure it is faded or is the nap (I think that is the term) crushed or similar to give it that look? Other than that I am stumped. Have not heard of interiors fading before the vehicle is bought.
  • mrd21mrd21 Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Honda CRV AWD with 66,000 miles. Bought it from Cental Chrysler in Norwood, MA for $10,000.00 out the door. It has stalled once during normal driving conditions and it has had problems hard starting. It also had dirty rear diff. oil which explained the vibration during hard turns. We are the 3rd Registered owners, it was firest bought in Nashuwa, NH. Brought it back to Cental Chrysler for the stalling and hard start problem. Service manager said he ran a diagnostic on it but nothing came up. The attempted to duplicate hard start but technicians said it started everytime??? The did change the rear differential oil and that took care of vibrations during hard turns. Is the TIGHT cylinder problem written anywhere? I would like to make Chrysler aware of this so they will fix it. I'm being mobilized soon and I don't want to worry about my wife being stranded with the kids somewhere. IED's are enough to worry about in the desert! Thanks, Ron :(
  • heidi4heidi4 Posts: 12
    It just sounds like your car is telling you something. Maybe you have a lemon? I love the CR-V, but if my car had all those problems in the span of a couple months I'd want to bring it back
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Ok so now the Honda Dealer is telling me I have burnt valves (more than one, apparently) and need to have the head replaced. Can anyone tell me what causes burnt valves and does that really mean that the head needs to be replaced? Does this sound reasonable? I'm not very car savvy, but that seems extreme to me. Is this all because of using non-Honda spark plugs?

You have burnt valves because the car wa snot maintnaned properly. The valves on the B-series engines need to be adjusted every 30,000 miles, as they tighten with use. But, you are in luck, Honda made a mistake in the owner's manual by recommending valve adjustments at 90,000 miles instead of 30,000.

So, now that you have a diagnosis from your Honda dealer, you need to get on the phone and call Honda corporate (the number is in your OWNER's MANUAL). Honda has covered fully or partially depending on the mileage.

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. Just for the fact that the mechanic did not know this, you should not go to him anymore. You want someone who knows their stuff to work on your car, not an incompetent "parts replacer"
    Ron, There is a Honda Technical Service Bulletin #03-033 dated Nov 5, 2004 dealing with the problem. I'm having a similar problem with the TIGHT cylinder issue on my 2001 CR-V and am actually having the head replaced right now. Fortunately I had purchased an extended service warranty which will cover most of the $3400 cost, so I am not planning to sue Honda, but some people have. Check message 3290 and 4225 on this forum to see if either description applies to your situation. Good Luck.
    Was it really just a mistake in the owner's manual? I know from this forum that 30K is when they should be adjusted, but this is the first I've heard that it was simply a mistake in the owner's manual.

I wonder when Honda realized this and just simply didn't notify the owners.
    Was it really just a mistake in the owner's manual? I know from this forum that 30K is when they should be adjusted, but this is the first I've heard that it was simply a mistake in the owner's manual.

I wonder when Honda realized this and just simply didn't notify the owners.

Well, it is not a simple mistake. This is what happens when MBA's without engineering degrees are allowed to make decisions.

Most likeley scenario is that Honda wanted to promote the CR-V as low maintnenance cost vehicle and they took a chance by publishing the 90,000 mile spec. But, Honda knows that they lied and are willing to fix it.
    The maintenance schedule in my 2001 CR-V Owners manual indicates that the valve clearances do not even need to be inspected until 105K miles and "adjust only if noisy" (see pg 202 and 204).

My valves were not noisy and my mileage is only 67K, and yet I am now having to have the head replaced because the valves were burned, seated too far into the cylinder head, had little or no compression in 2 cylinders and misfiring in 3 cylinders.

The Honda dealer is trying to tell me that this problem was caused by my using an independent service mechanic who put non-Honda spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap in it.
    They also told me that the valve clearance should have been adjusted at 30K and 60K. Apparently Honda knows this
    but no one else does because it is not in the book.

I bought the car only 7 months ago from another car dealer(non-Honda). I had the 60K service done at the shop where I bought it, because I had an extended service warranty from them. It began acting up shortly after that tune up, so I brought it back several times, but when they couldn't find the problem, they sent me over to the Honda dealer.

Fortunately, my service warranty is going to cover it, but it seems to me that Honda is not owning up to the problem. They are blaming the other mechanics for not doing it right, but ignoring the fact that the owners manual does not even say it needs doing.
    Your Honda dealer sounds like a jerk. Have you tried calling Honda regional?
  • edgoreedgore Posts: 1
    I was shocked today that my 2 week old CRV LX Automatic with around 700 miles stopped working.

I was on a gravel road pulling onto a paved road that was raised about 5 inches higher than the gravel road. As the front wheels reached the pavement as I slowly moved forward there was hesitation and the VSR kicked in an spun the back tires to push me up and onto the pavement. When I got on the pavement and started to accelerate, it started bucking when trying to switch into a higher gear (I'm not sure if it was 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th). I pulled over and saw the VSR light was on, the alert light (!) and the check engine light. I called the dealer who asked me to drive it to the service department, but I informed him that it wouldn't run without bucking and almost stalling. I told him I thought it would be safer to have it towed and he agreed.

Does anyone know what might have caused this? Let's just say I am very, very upset that my brand new car is defective like this. I purchased a new car so I wouldn't have to worry about being left stranded and that's what this honda did.

I will be in contact with the dealer tomorrow to see what they have uncovered regarding the defect but want to know if anyone else has heard of such occurances, and if anyone has any advice on how to handle this from a consumer perspective.
    Fortunately, my service warranty is going to cover it, but it seems to me that Honda is not owning up to the problem. They are blaming the other mechanics for not doing it right, but ignoring the fact that the owners manual does not even say it needs doing.

You are confusing the LOCAL DEALER with HONDA CORPORATE. It is not in local dealer's interest to have Honda Corporate to pay for it because Honda only pays them $40/hour in labor and only pays wholesale for the parts, while if they have you pay for it, they charge you $80/hour in labor and you pay retail (2x wholesale) for the parts.

Honda Corporate has owned up to the problem with most people who have contacted them. But, since you have extended warranty the warranty will pick up the tab.

As far as the dealer telling you that the spark plugs caused it, ask him if he is willing to testify in court.
    Check the oil.
  • Can someone please tell me if the CRV is rough on tires? I have just over 24000 miles on my '04 CRV and my tires are already getting worn out. I have kept the air pressure checked, rotated 3 times, balanced 3 times and had at least two alignments done since purchasing my car new. I am at a complete loss as to why the tires are wearing like this. Please help! Thanks
  • I have the same problem and am at a loss as to why, at 24400 miles, I am needing a new set of tires! I also rotated, balanced, aligned, etc., several times since purchasing my '04 CR-V new 23 months ago. I am supposed to take my car in this coming weekend for an oil change and I intend to get them to check this out also. Other than this, I have enjoyed this car very much!
  • I have a 2003 Honda CRV that needs the security code reset. I don't have a manual and I live 60 miles from the nearest dealer. On the radio it says CODE and have numbers that need to be entered if I only knew how. Can someone out there Help help help Me?

Thanks....Ray
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    Is it a LX or an EX? If it's an EX the audio is the same on mine, so I'll start typing. If it's a LX, please let us know, then someone with a LX Manual would be so kind to help you. Now let me run to the car.
    P.S. If you'd like, shoot me an e-mail (see profile) with a fax # and I'll be happy to fax it over.
  • sky23213sky23213 Posts: 296
    OK, it doesn't matter the model, its pretty much the same.
    "If your vehicle's battery is disconnected or the radio fuse is removed, the audio system will disable itself. If this happens, you will see CODE in the frequency display the next time you turn on the system. Use the preset buttons* to enter the the five digit code. .... When entered correctly, the radio will start playing.
    If u make a mistake entering the code, do not start over; complete the five digit sequence, then enter the correct code. You have ten tries to enter the correct code. If u are unsuccessful in 10 attempts, u must leave the system on for 1 hour before trying again."

* LX - those are the three buttons, marked 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 in the middle of the face plate.
    EX/SE - the six buttons 1 through 6 at the bottom of the face.

Good luck, and let us know if this helped.