Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello, the rear license plate light in my 2008 Honda CR-V is out, replaced bulb but still out. I wanted to check the fuses but the manual does not identify which fuse controls this light, would anyone know,

Thank You
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    A piece of trim or bezel not seated correctly? Could make a noise just as you described...same with blowing vertically at blade of grass held tight between your hands..same sorta sound..
    The wind gets in under it..
  • I just got a new CRV and i was comparing the leather seat with my brother oddyseey and his leather is smooth and looks nice, whereas, the leather on the crv is softer and the stitiching is bad. The poor stitching caused wrinkles all over the seat. I haven't had the cahnce to go check another car, but can you guys tell me if your leather seat has the same problem?
    The leather is stitched together and causes wrinkles, very bad wringkling.
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    I have own 1988 and 2000 Honda Accords. The 2000 Accord had leather seats which were of great quality. However, I am disappointed in my 2012 CRV leather seats. You are absolutely correct, the stitching is poor and the seats have a wrinkly appearance. I have applied a high quality leather conditioner twice with the hopes of improving the appearance of the leather and it has not helped. So, I have concluded that the quality of leather in my 2012 CRV is not good and I am concerned how it will look a year from now.
    I often wonder if the posters with their questions ever come back to see answers to their questions.. :(

Been a few since this one too..
    I don't think it is just Honda forums, but am wondering if they aren't a bit worse though..
    So much info and knowledge can be shared through other's experiences, but not if it isn't actually shared.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    Sometimes the trick is just to answer the question, knowing that ten or more luckers will find it via a net search. A few of those will take the time to log in and say thank you. Either way, you're likely helping way more owners than you ever considered.

And thank you. :shades:

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yes, that's true, Steve. And of course you are welcome..I guess it's just me, but if I ask a question like that and get an answer I can really take to the bank, I'd jump thru hoops if necessary to log in to actually thank that poster.

But what you say is quite true, probably many other eyes saw it and took it to the bank. Similar thing on a Prius forum I noticed lately. Guy posted some great info for owners. Not a single person thanked him. So I did..months later mind you..and I'm not even a Prius owner, but thought it was good info to know. Hopefully he finds out someone cared enough to thank him.

Ya know...I wonder if this would be a cheap/good/effective way for the site to cover this aspect by enabling a 'like' feature? I noticed another poster posted that as a suggestion on the New Forums thread started a short while ago.
    edited March 2013
    Thumbs up are good but I'm holding out for a context sensitive real time grammar checker myself - the older I get the more irritating typos I make.

Although, I suppose someone showing up and getting help via a net search could be called a "lucker". :D

Part of it is that people want an answer and they move on to the next search hit to see if the answers they are getting make sense. Or maybe they hope there's an easier/faster or cheaper solution they can try first. And then they forget where they got help. Who knows. Just human nature to jump through hoops to gripe but not take the time to acknowledge help.

Honda owners are especially nice about that stuff though. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Although, I suppose someone showing up and getting help via a net search could be called a "lucker"

haha, I knew what you meant.. and hey..no doubt about it..searching and then finding answers are definitely luck(i)er if they find 'em.. :shades:
  • mafinchmafinch Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I have noisy lifters most of the time hot or cold engine - what is the cost to have them readjusted? Also, periodically, i get a high pitch squeal that comes from the front right as I accelerate and then a few seconds later its gone. Thought it was breaks but after replaced still happens

Last item - can someone describe what I would feel (if there is any difference) for a 2WD vehicle that has misaligned front end or possibly bad tie rods/rocker arms. Steering wheel shakes and vibrates after going 45mph to about 65 then seems to be less pronounced at 70mph or higher
  • therivertheriver Posts: 68
    I have a new '12 that is ready for its first maintainance per the reminder. Mileage is about 6K, mostly city. The first indicator is O/C and rotate tires. I have no problem with the O/C but is it really necessary to rotate tires every 6K (which is probably about average mileage between O/c going forward. Seems like I could rotate every other O/c
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for your help. Since I took your advice have not heard it once. (note that this is not the same car, I posted above, I have an 04 with 140K and a new '12.

thanks
  • mcdermottmcdermott Posts: 29
    TheRiver: Rotating tires @ 6K is highly recommended to both extend the life of the tires and to keep your ride smooth and pleasant. Moreover, it is even better if tires are Balanced & Rotated every 6K. Your Dealer/Stealer will charge big bucks to Balance. Thus, when you replace your current tires, buy your next set from Costco, Walmart, or some other "bigbox" outfit, that will include Balance/Rotation every 6K for the life of the tires - in the price of the tires. Good luck.
  • snukesnuke Posts: 81
    I, too, have a 2012 with nearly 6,000 miles. I got my oil change at 3,000 even though the maintenance reminder had not indicted so. I use an independent Honda car repairman whom I have used for nearly 20-yrs. and he suggested I stay with the old oil change schedule (critical driving conditions here). But, I don't plan to rotate my tires for almost another $1,000 miles.
    thanks. I actually think I have a coupon for a real cheap balance that the dealer sent me. The first O/c is half price ,too. So if the price isn't too much I'll do the balance, too.

thanks.
  • rrshinnrrshinn Posts: 16
    I have a 2005 CRV that most of the warning lights come on, on the dash and stay on. they sometimes flicker intermittantly. Usually this happens when starting the vehicle. They may go off after a period of time. Sometimes just the battery light may stay on. Battery is 2 years old. Any ideas? Thanks.
    edited April 2013
    You didn't indicate if any of these lights (eg. the battery light staying on) have any effect on the, otherwise, normal operation of the vehicle? Does your battery go dead after a drive? Have you hooked a meter to the battery when the light stays on? I would have a meter hooked to it ahead of time so that you can first see if in fact that the battery IS getting a charge when the light is on. If it is chg'ing, then you will see about 14.5 volt give or take right after start up. If you see 10.9 or so, it definitely is not chg'ing.

The idea here is to try to isolate one key clue at a time. The fact that the battery light stays on, when all the others go out, helps it become a more predominant clue over all the other potential scenarios..

The more info u can provide the better, but start with questions exactly as asked above.

edit- if u do not have a digital multimeter then does the car start and drive and restart after doing shopping chores around town often..does it restart the car easily? - or if you have a multimeter but don't know how to use, then post and I'll repost..
  • cannell3cannell3 Posts: 39
    Well, if they are self-adjusting, why am I hearing a lot of valve clatter in my daughter's 2007 Cr-v? I had scheduled it to have the valves adjusted this Saturday. Please advise me. Thanks. :confuse:
  • rrshinnrrshinn Posts: 16
    There is no change of operation when the lights appear. One fact is at idle there are no warning lights. As you rev the engine and increase rpms first light to appear is the battery warning then SRS and as they continue to rev up ABS, etc.
    Given this info so far, it would be good to know if the electronic voltage regulator is cutting out when it should. I am skeptical (unfortunately) this type of issue can be trouble-shot over the internet. It seems to maybe be a connection somewhere, maybe ground? that is suspect by through higher charging current, (the higher engine rpms) becomes more instrumental in the equation.

I much prefer a gauge over a light. As an example in this case, a battery light will come on if there is an over charge OR undercharge condition.
  • ysautoysauto Posts: 29
    Hi, I was at the dealer for an oil change on a Honda CRV 2008 and was told that the power steering rack had sweat on it. The car has 30K on it in mint shape. Reading a lot of reviews don't trust these guys. The dealer stated that I need to replace the rack fro $1250.00.
    I asked if there was a lot of fluid loss, was told no.
    Any opinions are highly appreciated.

David
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,021
    I would *carefully* snug up the hydraulic lines going to the rack, wash the rack off at the car wash, and keep an eye on it.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ysautoysauto Posts: 29
    Thanks, I wish do the wash and keep an eye on the fluids, I didn't see anything dripping in the garage.
    2012 Honda CR-V: 20,000-Mile B1 Service Complete

Edmunds paid $139.07 with tax after a discount for a B1 service on the long term tester.

I think it was 85 - 90 dollars for the A1 (although I had a coupon for a half priced oil change so I did not pay that). However, the B1 appears to be nothing more than an O/C, rotate and check a bunch of stuff they check anyway, so when I go for the B1 I am going to insist they just do the A1.

I do have a question. Why is the oil change so much on this car? My dealer says a "regular oil change" for other years is 29.95 (which I pay on my 2004 CRV, but the 2012 use 0W 30 oil which they charge 59.95 for.

Is the oil that more expensive? I thought I heard them say it was synthetic, but the owners manual seems to imply that synthetic is an option, which to me means there is 0W30 that is not synthetic - Why so much for an O/C?
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 170
    I have a 2010 CRV. It requires 0W-20 oil, which is only available in synthetic. I suspect your 2012 uses the same oil. Go price 5 quarts of the stuff, an oil filter, and a replacement drain bolt gasket. $59.95 isn't a bad deal.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
    thanks oldbearcat. I guess when a person only buys a car once every 11 years things change!

I changed the oil last time as soon as the light went on. I realized afterwards I probably had another 1000 miles or so before it went to 5%. Given the price, I think Ill squeeze it as close as possible.

thanks
  • oldbearcatoldbearcat Posts: 170
    I don't even use the dealer here. I do my own oil changes on the Honda - its pretty easy to do.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • waynewalwaynewal Posts: 4
    Am looking to purchase a used CRV soon. Probably from carmax as they have a limited warranty. Am open to year and can afford up to a 2011. I hear certain years are 'avoid' years.
    Am looking at the 4wd version. Any input would be appreciated.
  • soco4soco4 Posts: 9
    The CVR resale values are so high that it's best to buy new. You'll get a "free" warranty, and neither sometimes-improper use and/or maintenance, nor the wear of several tens of thousands of miles. Don't pay for all wheel drive unless you would have substantial use for it.

I am quite happy with my 2005 CRV LX. No repair to date (admittedly, miles are quite low); even the battery was still good after 8 years (I proactively replaced it earlier this spring).