Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Despite what many say or think, every engine burns oil. "

Well, in 44K miles on my 2003 EX, I never had to add oil between changes. Of course, it could have burned a little, just not anywhere near the fill line.
  • This thread has me thinking... I never seemed to have oil loss on my '02 EX and now have had to add a quart between changes at 35,000 miles. I switched to synthetic 0W-20 oil which seems to be the time it started to need oil between changes. I will try going back to a Honda filter and the recommended 5W-20 and see what happens. Would adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer be recommended?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    This thread has me thinking... I never seemed to have oil loss on my '02 EX and now have had to add a quart between changes at 35,000 miles. I switched to synthetic 0W-20 oil which seems to be the time it started to need oil between changes. I will try going back to a Honda filter and the recommended 5W-20 and see what happens. Would adding Lucas Oil Stabilizer be recommended?

Keep the Synth in there. Lucas stabilizer is probably a snake oil.
  • gjbwjgjbwj Posts: 27
    Thank you first. Just back from dealer, they gave me a code, said "61-2X", which means left seat belt switch. What is it? They need to put the new one. It will take a week for new one to arrive.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    0 weight is inappropriate for where you live, Ohio.
  • Now you've done it.....And just why is 0w20 not appropriate prey tell...
    Would not 5/30 be what they recommend?
  • The way I understand it, the 20 weight is slightly thinner when it warms up than the 30 weight. Maybe Honda wants the oil to flow more freely around the engine for fuel economy? Honda is recommending a 5W-20 for the '02 year. Well, I started it now... Feel free to give your 2 cents worth. :P
  • plinypliny Posts: 2
    I had Honda replace diffential fluid at 33,000 miles on 05 crv because of groaning noise on sharp turns. The noise came back after a long drive in the rain & went away after a long (but dry) drive home.
    I'm getting suspicious of moisture getting into the differential via the breather tube.

Anyone else notice a rain connection with these problems?
    0 weight is inappropriate for where you live, Ohio.

I am in Buffalo, NY and use 0W-20 all year round. If he is in Northern OH, 0W-20 is what the doctor ordered. We get into negatives at night in the winter, and 0W is perfect for the morning start ups.

Besides, switching to 0W from 5W won't hurt the engine.
    I wouldn't think it would hurt the engine, and thanks for setting me straight on the "0" weight oil, Blue. :)

Personally I would switch in the summer to 5 and 30 or so...if doing lots of highway driving, which I do.....
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    The groovy tire posts have been moved to the CR-V tires discussion. Here's the link:

acarperson, "Honda CR-V Tires & Wheels" #36, 1 Nov 2006 3:08 pm
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "The groovy tire posts have been moved to the CR-V tires discussion. Here's the link:"

Groovy, like wow... :shades:
  • Hi, I own a 2005 CRV that I bought last year. My wife had problem parking it once and one outside rear view mirror got scratches and the there is now a crack in the casing as well. I searched www.handaaccessories.com but didn't find that listed in the exterior accessories. How can I replace that? Mirror and all are fine, only the external casing has to be replaced. Color of myc ar is Pewter Pearl.
    I believe they are sold as one unit.
    Hi, I own a 2005 CRV that I bought last year. My wife had problem parking it once and one outside rear view mirror got scratches and the there is now a crack in the casing as well. I searched www.handaaccessories.com but didn't find that listed in the exterior accessories. How can I replace that? Mirror and all are fine, only the external casing has to be replaced. Color of myc ar is Pewter Pearl

That would be something you have to talk to the parts guy on the phone. Even though the website may list the mirror assembly as one, I know they come apart with just half dozen screws. Every single part can be purchased, just depends if the dealer wants to order it. Like the fog light switches are only supposed to be sold with the fog light kits, but many dealers will sell the fog light switches alone.

As a long term solution, you need to teach your wife how to park. Maybe take her to an empty parking lot and have her perform parking maneuver a few times. Then on the streets. We always need to hone our skills as drivers.
  • My 2003 CR-V (51,000 miles) started making a noise up in the engine compartment that sounds like metallic popcorn popping. I just brought it over to a mechanic who used a stethoscope and said it appears to be coming either from the alternator or the water pump. He took off the fan belts and the noise stopped.

He said the alternator would cost "about $500" and the water pump "about $600" installed. He would only charge for the one that was causing the noise. He would wave the $45 diagnostics fee if I went ahead with the repair.

Does this seem plausible and are those prices in line with what they should cost to replace?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Steve
  • I sympathize with you. I had a similar experience with my wife's car. It is a real lesson in compassion. Only thing really hurt is pride. A good place to look for parts is www.slhondaparts.com. I found the mirror components in a strange place. Select your vehicle options using the drill down menus and then go to the "interior/bumper" group. The mirror parts will be listed as well as a diagram. The mirror comes in the various colors and runs around $190 for the complete assembly. :blush:
  • You didn't mention what sub-model of CRV, color you have, or which side of the vehicle, but if you go to BernardiParts.com, and search under the Parts heading, you should be able to find the part numbers. The side mirrors are listed under the "Interior/Bumper" system, under component "Mirror." It looks like you have to buy the whole unit, as opposed to simply the exterior casing.
  • gjbwjgjbwj Posts: 27
    Just bought CR-v EX 4WD, really can not stand its audio quality, want to install the Honda OEM subwoofer. Has anyone done it, how about its quality, how much it will improve the audio quality. If not too much, will not bother to do it. Thanks in advance.