Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jlmaxjlmax Posts: 4
    Hi - Recently purchsed a used 01 CRV and we need an extra remote or 2. There is a Honda alarm installed. Does anyone know how I can determine what remote will work for us? One website lists a different remote for the EX and SE than for the LX. I've heard mention of an FCC ID number. Do I need to retrieve that from the module or something? Can they programmed easily? Thanks.
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Unfortunately windshield cracks happen. I remember when the first CR-V came out people were reporting windshield cracks left and right. Of course they suspected an inherent problem, but the relatively upright windshield in that and many other SUVs make them more prone to cracks.

As others pointed out, it's not too much $ to replace.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Hi - Recently purchsed a used 01 CRV and we need an extra remote or 2. There is a Honda alarm installed. Does anyone know how I can determine what remote will work for us? One website lists a different remote for the EX and SE than for the LX. I've heard mention of an FCC ID number. Do I need to retrieve that from the module or something? Can they programmed easily? Thanks.

Since you say you need an extra remote, that means you already have one remote on hand. Turn it over and check the FCC code on it, and look for remotes that have the same FCC code.
  • yathrayathra Posts: 3
    My 1999 Honda CR-V EX AWD displayed a check engine light, and I took to the dealer. They told me I need to replace catalytic converter, and it would cost $900 (parts) $200-300 for labor.Since that looked quite high, I was trying to research the prices online, but I could not find any web site which sells OEM parts. Does anyone know any sush site?

Secondly, does this cost of this part looks reasonable? I found many non-OEM parts, but many of them appeared to be not good enough for California Emission Standards ;-)

I found one such non-OEM 'Diversified Environmental Cat. Honda Catalytic Converter' for about $500.

Does anyone have experience with this non-OEM, or any comments on my choices.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hi,
    I had 2 maintenance questions:

1) According to the manual you're supposed to change your oil only when the maintenance minder shows Oil Life as 15% or lower. Its been 8 months and 12,000 miles and my CRV is still only at 50%. I've never owned a car that i haven't changed oil that later. Is this normal? Is there anything wrong if i get it serviced at this point instead of waiting for the maintenance minder to hit 15%?

2) How often are you supposed to get your tires rotated? Is there a maintenance minder for that also? I'm not sure if you're supposed to do it at the normal 6,000 mile intervals.

Thanks.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Your driving must be mostly on freeways.

Honda suggests you rely on the maintenance minder, but to have your oil changed at 1 year if the system hasn't yet recommended one.

New Honda's, apparently, come with break-in oil that Honda preferred you let do its job, that is, don't drain it at 1,000 miles. At 12,000 miles, I'd feel free to do what you want.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    Go with the maintenance minder but be free to change the oil more often if you wish.
    Just remember to reset.
    Rotation is indicated on the minder also but remember it's up to you.
  • Looking at the Bernardi Parts website, they show the catalytic converter as being part #18160-P3F-A20, and with an MSRP of $778.73 (their price is $570.03). The part number is the same, whether it's Auto or Manual, or California/Non-California.

There is probably other pieces they're including in the parts price, like the heat shields, rubber mounts, gaskets, etc., that would normally be replaced, at the same time.

I'd see if you could get a detailed estimate from them, including the part numbers, then go to the Bernardi website, and compare the prices. Some dealerships will come down on the price, if you can show them that you can order the parts elsewhere, for less.
  • toslattoslat Posts: 7
    Am trying to replace the ECU on a 2000 AWD CR-V with Manual Trans.

Problem is I am having difficulties getting a used ECU (37820-PHK-A03) but the Auto trans ECU (37820-PHK-A53) seems to be more readily available .

Question is, can i install the Auto Trans ECU in the car? If yes, are there any workarounds or downsides involved.

Also it seems the A01, A02, A51, A52 are older (1999) revisions of the ECUs. Are these also compatible?

Any pointers as to how I can obtain the manual ECU will also be appreciated.

thanx
  • Have you checked with Woodfin's Used Honda Car Parts in Midlothian, VA? They show it in their online parts catalog for just over $150. I work about two and a half miles from them, and have learned that if they don't have it, they can usually get it... a great group of guys.
  • Hello everyone :) I Had the good fortune of purchasing a 04 CRV in Feb of 07 with 13,863 original miles on it ! So far i enjoy and grow fonder of this vehicle more and more !

I now have 16,033 miles on it and from what the dealer has told me where it was sold new it had all of its services up till 15,000 miles according to their service schedule.

I went to the local Honda dealer and asked what the next service should be ? And was told a 3 year/60,000 mile service should be preformed on it to the tune of $355.24 I found this very odd. Is this the proper procedure ????

On their service menu it was the most expensive service they offer.
    If you were in my position what type of maintence should be preformed at this age and mileage of the vehicle ???

This 'baby' looks and drives like BRAND NEW ! And has Leather seats to boot !!! Dealer had em installed. Plus alloy wheels and a roof rack ! This CRV is very very sweet !!!!!

Also should i ask the dealer about the A.C > compressor issue i have been reading about ??? Or call Honda America to see if they will do anything about the AC compressor issue, it seems like most of the compressors are going out around 50,000 miles or so !
    With the mileage i drive it may take me 3 to 4 years to get there

Thanks for any info :-) :)
    I went to the local Honda dealer and asked what the next service should be ? And was told a 3 year/60,000 mile service should be preformed on it to the tune of $355.24 I found this very odd. Is this the proper procedure ????

A sweet CR-V like yours should have come with the OWNER's MANUAL. In the back there are two service schedules, one for Normal and one for Severe driving. Read what defines Normal and what Defines SEvere driving and then match the years or miles to the years or miles of your vehicle and go by that.

Dealer will always try to sell you stuff that you may not need, because service departments is where the dealership makes most of their money.

Happy Reading!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Also, I believe you can order an owner's manual on helminc.com. And you can also get the mainteance schedule at Honda's owner link website.
  • plim77plim77 Posts: 46
    Blueiedgod-

I read a lot. Almost every post you've made you tell people to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

Besides being rather annoying, I think you missed the point. People write questions on here (I'm sure many of them seem dumb to you) because they want to hear what other owners have experienced- and you can't get that out of a book.

Anyone can read the manual... DUH.

A more helpful reply could have simply been to answer her question... Something along the line of "I don't think the 3/60k service is necessary yet" or "$355 is too much."

If all you're going to do is tell people to read the manual, then at least be more of a smarty pants and tell them what the applicable pages are.

Anyone else agree?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Anyone else agree?

No. Pointing someone in the direction of something that should be read anyway is good advice. Telling them the applicable pages is just a waste of time.
  • My wife and I are considering buying a new ('07 or '08) CRV. They seem to get good reveiws and their owners seem to be generally happy with them. I realize this question has a wide range of possibilies for anwers, but what can I expect for cost/yr for maintenance over say the first 3 years if I average ~10,000 miles/year? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Matt
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You may want to take a look at True Cost to Own ratings at Edmunds while you're waiting for a reply here.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I went to the local Honda Dealer inquiring about the cost of maintence on the 04 CRV that I purchased. They had a menu for the CRV all the way up to 120,000 miles broken down into intervals 5k -10k -20k 30k etc. Maybe your local dealer has something similiar to give you !
    The total cost i.e. on my 04 up to 3 years 30,000 miles would run approx $487.61 not including whatever they may find that is needed above and beyond !!!!

Hope this Helps :) I really do enjoy the 04 CRV LX 2WD that i purchased, the more I drive it the more I "Like it "

And like i was sharing in my first post i found one with only 13,853 or so miles on it !!!! Its still looks and drives "Brand New" (what a find)

Can anyone else tell us what they needed on their CRV other than routine maintence for the 1st 30,000 miles ???
    Blueiedgod-

I read a lot. Almost every post you've made you tell people to READ THE OWNERS MANUAL.

Besides being rather annoying, I think you missed the point. People write questions on here (I'm sure many of them seem dumb to you) because they want to hear what other owners have experienced- and you can't get that out of a book.

Anyone can read the manual... DUH.

A more helpful reply could have simply been to answer her question... Something along the line of "I don't think the 3/60k service is necessary yet" or "$355 is too much."

If all you're going to do is tell people to read the manual, then at least be more of a smarty pants and tell them what the applicable pages are.

Anyone else agree?

Why not make it even easier and just tell them what they need instead of pointing to them the locaiton of information. (sarcasm)

The reason I preach the manual is because 90% of the questions asked on these boards are already answered in the manual. There is a reason why manufacturers spend millions of dollars writing and publishing these manuals.

Yes, I agree that people maybe interested in hearing what others have done BESIDES what the manual recommends. Then, the question should be addressed as such.

The OWNERs MANUAL is not always the gospel one should go by, but, in the least, one should know what the manual states. (Gen 1.5 valve lash adjustment intervals were wrong, Gen 2 and and 2.5 has erroenous DPF service intervals). But, if one knows exactly what is written in the OWNER's MANUAL, the one can easily argue with Honda over who pays for damages due to wrong information in the manual

Real life case 1: If Honda said in the manual not to adjust the valves until 90,000 miles on Gen 1.5, and the valves burned at 70,000 miles, one can argue that Honda is on the hook. but if one is clueles what the manual said, then he/she will end up paying $3000 for the new head.

Real life case 2: Honda published 60,000 mile DPF service on Gen 2 and 2.5. I told co-worker, whose vehicle developed "the groan" at 17,000 miles to go to Honda nad have them service it. He was asked to pay, because the schedule at the dealer listed DPF service at 15,000 miles. I smaked him on the head and pointed out that the OWNER's MANUAL stated 60,000 mile service interval. Had he known tha at the time he was presented with the bill, he would have successfully argued that it should have been done for free, since it is not scheduled service.

Besides, with the question asked here, OP did not state whether the driving conditions involve extremely hot or extremeley cold weather, short or long trips, whether OP uses the vehicle to tow, or haul stuff... So, how can one give any direction to a poster that did not include such essential information? OP knows exactly what conditions his/her vehicle encounters and can easily match those conditions to what the MANUAL recommends.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Posts: 191
    I agree with you since most people who ask silly questions like when should I change my oil or how much air should I put in my tires don't know the difference between a valve or a potato, so referring them to the manual is the best thing.