Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    edited August 2010
    Hard to say with computers. For the next time, remember that you can edit your post for 30 minutes after posting.
  • cyniccynic Posts: 57
    We have Michelin latitudes on our 2008 CRV and they are really good, I can't comment about the longevity yet, we had them for about a year and 15k, but the traction is great in winter (we live in Minnesota).
  • nayaknayak Posts: 15
    Ok - just went ahead and picked the Bridgestone Alenza for replacement at Costco. Unfortunately - while the Costco tech was working on one of the replacement tires, the valve shaft portion of the TPMS sensor fractured and completely separated. It was not in stock so it could not be replaced, but will be ordered and will have to go in again to Costco to get it installed. I hope Costco will not ask me to pay for it, and am not sure how much they cost. Will know that tomorrow when the costco tech calls back.
  • nayaknayak Posts: 15
    Steve, I did try editing a couple of times, copy/pasted line by line, and it still did not help. I think it may be because I have to use IE 6 (which is old) for compatibility issues with other software on my m/c.
  • I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on my '02. Even though Tirerack cited noise issues, I haven't had any problems. So far have about 800 miles on them and handling is great. Don't know about winter traction yet but expect to be good as well. Unfortunately most of the tires I have had wear out at about 30K, even with alignments and rotations.
  • The driver-side rear door lock on my 2005 CR-V will not consistently lock/unlock using the remote key fob. Sometimes it does work. This leads me to think the inside mechanism may need to be lubricated. Has anyone else had this problem. If so, how did you repair it? It seems that taking the rear door inside panel loose and lubricating the mechanism should not be too difficult, but I have never done it before. I'm afraid to even ask for a quote from the local Dealer, and any advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jack
  • berriberri Posts: 4,004
    I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on my '02

You'll be quite pleased with their winter traction and their tread life. We've got 4 years and 45K on ours and they are still great tires.
    The driver-side rear door lock on my 2005 CR-V will not consistently lock/unlock

Been there, its the actuator.
  • Thanks for your response. Have you replaced an actuator and, if so, please advise the total cost?
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    My son and his wife have a '07 CRV with 27.500 highway miles on the odometer. Today, while the vehicle was being serviced, dealer said that at next service appt. tires will need replacement. Is this common for the model brand????
    I used a private mechanic that specializes in Honda and it was around $175. I expect a dealer more around $250. IIRC the part is a tad shy of $150.
    If you've got OEM Bridgestone, probably.
  • I replaced the driver door lock actuator today on my '04 CR-V. Total cost from autozone was $83 and change shipped to my door. This job took me about 3 hours and wasn't easy. Lot's of sites that show how to do it but none of them were descriptive in how to get the old actuator removed and the new installed. I was successful however and now the doors all lock/unlock as advertised with the remote. Was worth the hassle though considering the labor I saved.
  • Thanks for your informative response. I finally called the local Honda Dealer and inquired. They also suspect it is most likely a bad actuator. Unfortunately, they estimate something North of $300.00 to install a replacement actuator. Well, I immediately decided I could learn to live happily with what I have, and I will.
  • therivertheriver Posts: 67
    edited August 2010
    I know we could a whole thread (?) on tires, but I was looking at CR and they mentioned Hankook H727. Seems like they get excellent reviews on line, but honestly have never heard of the company. I currently have Yoko AVID and am tired of them - noise is too much (and they are worn anyway).

I live in Boston area so definitely need something with some winter grip.

I have also checked on some of the other tires mentioned, but the Hankook seems to have decent all around traction.

The car is an 04 with about 105K
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    I recomment Nokian WR..

Great winter traction.. Dry road performance is as good or better than most all-seasons...

Downsides: Pricy.. thin dealer network (though maybe better in the NorthEast)..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• jesmedjesmed Posts: 1
    I live in Boston area too and last year got a new set of Dunlop SP60's which I'm very happy with. Although they are listed as "All Season" tires, they have a blocky tread that gives great snow traction. They ate through last year's big snows as well as dedicated "snow tires", but you can leave them on year round. Blocky tread design may make them somewhat noisier than treads with smooth ribs, but I'm willing to make that trade for great winter traction. Best resource for comparing tires is Tire Rack's "Survey" tab. They'll show you actual customer survey results for each tire category. Dunlop SP60 got best snow traction rating in the "Passenger All Season" category, and ranked 5th overall out of 26 tires in the category. Also, very reasonably priced.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    They've got Continentals
  • therivertheriver Posts: 67
    thanks for all the help on tires, still reviewing, On another matter, my headlight lenses are all foggy, scratched etc. just from normal wear and tear. Has anyone ever done some sort of cleaning or treatment to make them clear (or less unclear) again?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,898
    I think Meguiars has a plastic polish, especially for that purpose... It's a common problem on late '90s BMWs...

No experience with it, though..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs