Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    edited August 2010
    Some guy around here wrote a guide about that. No personal experience with the gel toothpaste treatment though. :P

Healing Hazy Headlamps
  • tomk17tomk17 Posts: 135
    Use the 3M Headlight Restoration kit sold at Walmart for about $18. Don't even mess around with the others. Comes with a wheel that attaches to your cordless or corded drill.
  • madams1madams1 Posts: 101
    Looks like it is necessary to disconnect the air intake pipe before replacing the air filter(pipe going into the filter housing). I looked at the instructions on line and the guy had the top of his filter housing box all the way over when replacing the air filter. He did not mention taking this pipe off, but it looks like the pipe would break if it was not disconnected. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2003 model.

Thanks for the input!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Looks like it is necessary to disconnect the air intake pipe before replacing the air filter(pipe going into the filter housing). I looked at the instructions on line and the guy had the top of his filter housing box all the way over when replacing the air filter. He did not mention taking this pipe off, but it looks like the pipe would break if it was not disconnected. Can anyone confirm this? I have a 2003 model.

Thanks for the input!

There are 2 connections to the top of the filter housing. Big air intake hose, and a small tube. Both need to be removed to be able to move the top of the air box out of the way.
  • Hi, everyone:

I am really disappointed on my 2010 CRV, which was made in Japan but has been in shop multiple times. The car has several assembly issues: right strut rattling, lossen driver seat and annoying noise (intermitent) on sharp right turn. I brought the car to the dealer many times, the rattling noise and the losen driver seat were fixed, but no answer for the right turn noise.. I almost lost hope of fixing this issue and am considering trade it in for a different brand. Does anyone on this board has any clue? Many thanks.
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Remember the number of times you dropped off the CRV at the dealer, and if the same issue was not resolved after a set number of visits the dealer should declare it a lemon and give you a refund. Goggle Lemon Law/go on Honda website/access your state's website and read up on this law. Make sure you have proof of work order each time you visited the dealer and for what exactly. You need to have a conversation with the dealership manager, and if he/she jerks you around go up to Honda.
  • I used to have this noise, but the dealer took care of it. They have to clean off the grease from - don't know what's it's called - but the rods where the tires are attached to the frame. Then they regreased everything. My dealer says that it's a common problem, but easily fixed. Have your dealer call Tamaroff Honda in Southfield, Michigan, on Telegraph Road.
  • catlady5catlady5 Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    I'm leasing my 2007 CR-V, with 12,000 miles allowed per year. Then we plan on purchasing the car. My husband puts a lot of miles on a car and drives it until it dies. Does anyone know how many miles I could expect on this car?
  • Most modern cars will go 175K and last ten+ years. Of course, this presumes no bad accidents and good maintenance. Naturally, there will be repairs for items that wear out---what we call "expendables"---like tires, brakes, belts, hoses, wipers, struts, battery, etc.
  • Thank you so much for the info. This noise really drives me nuts. I almost lost hope of resolving it and my dealer already tried all their best to help me. I will take the message to my dealer and hope that they can resolve the issue for me.
  • I have been having that issue with my '02. Unfortunately the dealer dismisses the issue as brake dust. Noise comes from the rear when making sharp right turns - sounds like an old phongraph player scratch. I think there has been a service bulletin for possible rear differential noise needing a fluid change. :confuse:
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't quite sound like your problem, but here it is anyway. Keep in mind that a TSB is on your dime on a 2002 model:

August 12, 2009

Applies To:
    2002-06 CR-V - ALL with 4WD
    2007 CR-V - From VIN 5J6RE4...7L000001 thru 5J6RE4...7L019269
    *2007 CR-V - From VIN JHLRE4...7C000001 thru JHLRE4...7C068888*
    Moan or Groan From the Rear Differential

(Supersedes 07-024, dated May 5, 2009, to revise the information marked by the black bars and asterisks)

*REVISION SUMMARY

In Applies To, the 2007 Japan-produced model VIN range was changed.*

BACKGROUND

A moaning or groaning comes from the rear differential when making a sharp or tight turn at low speeds.

PROBABLE CAUSE

Contamination in the rear differential fluid.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the rear differential fluid, and burnish the rear differential clutches.
  • The noise of my 2010 CRV is from front right side. Dealer replaced both the right front strut and the sway bar linkage, but did not help. They also replaced the rear differential fluid twicebut the noise is till there. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and let them re-grease the tire rod etc as suggested catlady5. Thank you so much.
  • Just a wild guess - possible bearing plate on top of the strut? Hope all goes well for you.
  • Hi, I am looking for some help on purchasing new tires. I have a 2008 CRV EX and have been told I need new tires at 29500 miles. I have been told that I can get a Kumho tire for $448 plus tax (7%) or Yokohama Avid Touring S tires out the door for $563.42....Should I play more for the Yokohama? Any other ideas on tires that are not too pricey? Thanks so much!
  • barryzbarryz Posts: 43
    I don't have any ideas on what tire, just make sure you do not buy from an online tire store, by the time you pay shipping and then pay someone for mounting, its a big expense. Do not buy the tires at the honda dealer, they will overcharge you. I have always done well buying tires at BJ's or Costco, if you have one in your area. They have tire pricing on their websites for the vehicle you enter, so if one of those has a store near you, check it out. Keep your eyes on their website for sales, they often have like $100 off 4 on a particular brand, my last purchase at bj's saved me about $75 off the cheapest price on that tire anywhere else, and included lifetime rotation and balancing and road hazard repair/replace. That savings was counting the money i spent to join the club, so i saved 75 plus had a years membership.
    I'm leasing my 2007 CR-V, with 12,000 miles allowed per year. Then we plan on purchasing the car. My husband puts a lot of miles on a car and drives it until it dies. Does anyone know how many miles I could expect on this car?

I had an '85 Civic that had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it in 1995...

If you put work into maintaining the vehicle and repairing it in a timely fashion it will run forever.

Vehicle life is dependant on how much money the owner wants to put into the vehicle. At some point people make a concious decision to not to invest in their ride and "drive it into the ground"
    Hi, I am looking for some help on purchasing new tires. I have a 2008 CRV EX and have been told I need new tires at 29500 miles. I have been told that I can get a Kumho tire for $448 plus tax (7%) or Yokohama Avid Touring S tires out the door for $563.42....Should I play more for the Yokohama? Any other ideas on tires that are not too pricey? Thanks so much!

If you can wait until Black Friday, discounttire.com will have a sale. I have bought my Yokohama Avid Touring S there for $50 a tire, shipped!!! $200 for a set of good tires shipped is a great deal!!!

Get them mounted at Walmart or Costco for $10 a tire.
  • Stay away from the Cooper CS-A. I had them on mine for a week and had the shop take them back off. The handling was very unresponsive and highway noise was unacceptably loud. I ended up putting the Michelin Harmony on and have been pleased so far. Rather expensive around $120 per tire but pretty quiet with good traction.
  • jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Here's another vote for the Michelin Harmony. I've had them on my '06 CR-V for 3 weeks & am highly satisfied with ride, handling & noise (or lack thereof) characteristics.

As previously noted, they're not cheap, but I'm not one to cut corners on tires.