Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Well, I think that people have every right to be concerned about this problem. A little hysteria is only natural. It's the conspiracy theories and senseless debate (with no facts in sight) that are starting to drive me nutty.

Okay, I've been nutty for years, now. But you get the point.
    "do you have the numbers on how many 2002, 2003, 2004 CR-V's were sold thus far? - U.S. only."

Approximately 375,000 units since November 2001.
  • I was wondering why the Elements and other Honda's dont have this problem also. Someone did mention that the oil filter was redesigned for the 2003 model and thats why the 2002's dont seem affected? not sure

As for Julia, she has every right to voice her opinions on here..I looked on this site before buying my 2004 CRV, and read road tests. If the Road Tests had been honest and talked to the poor seating positions, rattling and pulling to the right, I would have avoided the car..I even drove 3 of them and one belonged to a friend..her car rattled like crazy but she said, it didnt, it was just stuff in the back of the car..well, it still does rattle! and now that I notice it more, it pulls to the right..

The point of this forum is to discuss problems with the CRV..not defend them..someone could be saved a $23,000 headache if the people on this forum , like Julia, continue to be honest..

If the community leader and the honda salesman take offense to the truth about the CRV..please visit a different forum, but dont insult anyone for saying whats REALLY going on with their CRV..

In my opinion, they're nice cars for the money, some people have problems with them, and some dont.. but they are not the GREAT car's publications make them out to be!

CRV Buyer beware!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    I sure didn't mean to if I did.

It's just that things tend to get amplified in these forums.

Our 2003 CRV doesn't pull or rattle. We love the car as do most owners.

I've ridden in, probably a hundred or more CRVS and I haven't heard one comment about pulling to the right or rattles. I'm being totally honest.

But, are they flawless? Of course not!

I can't speak for our commnity leader but I certainly don't take "offense" to any of these comments. I do think there needs to be a balance to reduce what can become a dogpile effect.
    "As for Julia, she has every right to voice her opinions on here."

No one has suggested otherwise. Please do not put words in my mouth.

"The point of this forum is to discuss problems with the CRV..not defend them."

Yes, this is where you should discuss problems. That has never been disputed, either. But it's also nice to have discussions regarding solutions in this forum. Furthermore, it would be nice if the discussions were grounded with some FACT.

So, please pardon me if that bothers anyone here.
  • Hey All,

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally joined today. Just wondering if anyone seems to have an inordinate anount of brake dust on their front rims. My old '89 Accord had the same problem, but my '99 Galant didn't. I'm wondering if this is just a Honda thing...??

Thanks,
    Mackie
  • My '99 CR-V EX does not, and I only wash it once or twice during the summer, and whenever the temps get above freezing in winter.

:)
  • if you want "fact" take a look at a few charred CRV'S!!!
    Mackie - Brake dust is almost always a problem with FWD cars, though some rims are more resistant to letting it stick than others. And softer brake pads will also generate more dust than others.

That said, I've never noticed a big problem with the new CR-Vs. If you find that more dust is sticking than you like, give the wheels a good cleaning and then wax them whenever you wash the car.

Like Racoon, I have not had a problem with my 1999 CR-V EX. But mine is faster than his and the dust may just be blowing off. =)
  • drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    I too had an '89 Accord (loved that car) and after 13 years the wheel covers were stained from the brake dust. Like varmint said, it is a lot better now.
  • Like Racoon, I have not had a problem with my 1999 CR-V EX. But mine is faster than his and the dust may just be blowing off.

Varmint, my friend, I give up. I think you've driven over 30,000 miles more than I have, so that makes your '99 CR-V 'faster' than my '99 CR-V.

But mine looks faster.

:D
    "Varmint, my friend, I give up."

Strong is my kung fu!
  • Brake dust is a result of the type of pads used. I hear ceramic brake pads, while they cost more, don't leave as much dust.
    elissa
  • Strong is my kung fu!

The flexible palm tree bends before the (hot air) of the hurricane.

;)
    Here's an update on the fires. This article includes a few new tidbits.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5926843/
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,692
    Well balanced and without any obvious errors.. pretty amazing, actually.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ljtljt Posts: 2
    I am looking into buying a CR-V EX with AWD and wanted to know how they drive in the snow. Any posted replies are greatly appreciated.
    Yeah, I thought it covered the main points quite well.

1. Fires are still happening.
    2. When Honda got the word out to dealers.
    3. Why Honda hasn't been able to contact retailers (through the usual channels).
    4. The fact that the NHTSA is monitoring Honda's actions.
    5. The fact that no mechanical error has been found (so far).
    6. The fact that independent agencies (CR) have also investigated for defects.
    7. The "he said / she said" debate between the dealers and manufacturer.
    8. And, lastly, the emotional appeal from concerned customers.

So, yeah, the article hit all the major points. Some of it was new to me (like the CR opinion). But it also included enough to give those unfamiliar with the subject a better understanding.

I give it an A minus. =)
    Deep or fresh snow? Pretty good.

Ice and packed snow? Nobody does well on that, but other systems can do better.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I guess you could say some people judge Honda guilty by a process of elimination.

The same techs change the oil on other cars and no problem. The one thing the pattern of fires has in common is the CR-V from certain model years.

So until something specific is found to blame, many people will point to what is unique here, and that is the vehicle.

Also, people will naturally put the burden on the company that accepeted their $22,000, not the $20 paid to the grease monkey. As the article states:

What Honda hasn't been able to explain is why the 2003 and 2004 model CRVs would be especially prone to the problem

I can't accept the "blame the tech" argument because then it would apply evenly to all cars and trucks, not just one. It's the same person with the same skills doing the same job. Something about the CR-V makes the oil change process more difficult and error-prone than normal.

I've made suggestions (even gave links to an oil filter relocator kit and drain plug valves) but honestly they seem to be ignored, so I can sympathize with the frustration some are feeling.

-juice