Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mandi827mandi827 Member Posts: 2
    To all crv owners...I haved read your posts probably can help you since I have already been there....my crv 1997 3k miles repo no warrenty...30k miles..NEW TRANNY..NEXT....noise when turning....finally fixed...REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID...don't let them fool you by saying cv joints or alignment...blah blah blah...fixed those....its not...NEXT..Noise when braking...if brake pads okay...BRAKE DUST...but it comes back right away until you have them cleaned again and again and again....still no final solution....check engine light comes on...its your gas cap...open it and retighten....should go away after awhile...NOW BIGGEST PROBLEM...my car idles like crap...sounds like it is about to stall out...becomes worse when I turn on the AC.....engine light came on....$600 for a new ignition module....fixed..paid...drove away...same prob...light back on.....sooooo...they just have to reset my computer..okay ....no prob for 2 months.....then same thing all over without check engine light...need to clean fuel injecters...$240...didnt help.....then fuel filters..then flush fuel...no help.....$1000 bucks and 1 yr later my car sounds worse...I lost all power on freeway the other day...(car didnt stall though)hit gas peddle..nothing.....It idles awful really bad mostly when I have AC turned on.....ANYONE HAVE A CLUE.....I have now been told oxygen sensor, fuel pump, cat.converter...it varys from shop to shop....please help
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Just curious but what kind of repair facilities are you taking your CRV to? Personally if it is a Honda dealer, I would hold them accountable and talk to the service manager. It sounds as if they are guessing and when you go into a repair facility and you tell them to correct a problem, they have a responsibility to fix it....and if they don't, then I think they have a financial responsibility to reimburse you for the failed repair.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    The obvious is to make sure the gas cap is tightened as Hondas are noted for being peculiar with that. If that's not it, take your CRV in to a local auto parts store such as Autozone or Advance Discount and ask if they can "run the
    codes" for your check engine light. They'll do it for free and print out a few things that affect the particular code. If you're handy with tools or know someone who is, you can save yourself a bundle. They did this for my 98 Mustang and it was an O2 sensor, saved me about $300 from going to the dealer.
  • evanjevanj Member Posts: 1
    Check your gas cap and make sure it is on tight and that the cap and the tube it attaches to is clean so a good seal is made a loose fitting gas cap will cause a check engine light to come. You might have to buy a new gas cap as it may be defective but it is cheaper then going to the dealer for a estimate of repairs!! evanj
  • fiveelevenfiveeleven Member Posts: 2
    I have just experienced the same problem on my 2005 CR-V with automatic transmission. Turned the key to the start position and . . . nothing, doesn't even try to start. :( After several more tries it just suddenly starts like nothing was ever wrong. This has happened three different times, including the morning I was taking it to the dealer, however once I got it there they were unable to replicate the problem. :blush: They too suggested the key on the keyring theory, but I haven't been able to test it because the car has started every time since then with the usual keys on the ring. I'd like to find a definitive answer as I was planning to take the car on a trip next month, but now am hesitant for fear of having problems again. :confuse:
  • gecko63gecko63 Member Posts: 2
    I think we may have discovered a widespread problem. I also have a 2006 CRV and had the same issue right off the lot. Initially the "tailgate open" light would flicker on when I made turns or hit bumps. I took it back to the dealer and they "fixed" it. A few weeks later the problem is back and worse than ever. Now it seems to stay on solidly except when I apply the brakes. I have an appointment to take the vehicle in to the service department on Monday. Hopefully Honda has put out a bulletin on how to remedy this problem by now.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm not quite sure what you're expecting.

You've got a dozen different mechanics who've had the opportunity to actually see, touch, and listen to the vehicle, yet they can't figure it out. I'm thinking that a bunch of car enthusiasts (not mechanics) with only a text description aren't going to do a whole lot better.

We can list common issues we've read about in the past (has anyone checked the valve spacing?), but nothing can replace hands-on experience with the vehicle.
  • lmahler2lmahler2 Member Posts: 5
    Thanx for your response. I have already reported this problem to American Honda customer service. I am already going on my 3rd fix. Basically, as I see it, the rear door cannot push the switch responsible for this problem, far enough back. One would think a minor adjustment would fix the problem however it does not appear to be this simple or we would not have to keep going back for another fix. Keep in touch and good luck.
  • fussycrvownerfussycrvowner Member Posts: 179
    Do you by any chance have a "mobil speed pass" on your keyring? I have seen posts that they interfere with the ignition interlock built into the key itself. Another possibility is that the key may need to be reprogrammed. Depending on the model and security system, there is a chip built into the key that when recognized will allow the car to start. If the code programmed into the key doesn't match what's in the ignition switch the car won't go. If that is the case, take all your keys to the dealer so that they can all be reprogrammed.
  • brianmcgannbrianmcgann Member Posts: 8
    My wife and I own a 2002 Honda CRV which we purchased about a year and a half ago and have had no problems with. Last night, while stuck in stop and go traffic, I noticed the drive button ("D") on the dashboard blinking. According to the manual, this indicated a "possible transmission problem". This was the first time this had happened. We drove home about 90 minutes, eventually getting out of the stop and go traffic and on to the Turnpike, where we drove at the usual speeds and didn't notice any problems. The blinking continued the entire way home, however, and even when I put the car in park as a test the drive light continued to blink. We got home without a problem, and today started the car and saw no blinking. The car has seemed perfectly normal and the blinking has not returned. Has anyone else experienced this and can we assume this was a one time "fluke" or malfunction, or should we bring it in to be looked at (I should point out that we don't really have a mechanic we trust as we are new to the area).

Thank you.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    A code was stored when the "D" light was blinking. AutoZone reads them for free. Of course a Honda dealer will read it...for a fee. The problem could have been something as simple as a sensor that malfunctioned and then fixed itself or it could be something more serious related to the transmission.
  • iharthoorniharthoorn Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 and thought the same thing. Turned out to be the rear dif. Fixed under warranty. Maybe worth looking into?
  • nimaleenimalee Member Posts: 1
    April 2005 new crv 2.0 auto, done only 2845 miles and after parking up on friday, tuesday morning would only crank over and not fire up as if no gas.
    Breakdown recovery tried for 2 hours to get it started, confirmed plug sparking ok but no fuel/gas getting to engine. Also confirmed no power getting to the petrol pump. Problem seemed to be electrical but not sure of cause. Car taken on low-loader back to honda dealer who is unable to discover source of problem.
    Since 561594 crv's have been recalled on june 14 2006, would have thought honda would be well aware of how to resolve problem.
    Since this can lead to a serious accident if the ignition fails on an automatic when driving on a motorway and the risk of being hit from behind all honda dealers should be taking action to eliminate this defect(latent) to avoid honda being sued due to prior knowledge of the fault.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Interesting. What specifically was the recall for? I don't know that we had the same recall here in the states. Since we have the 2.4L engine, it's possible we may have different starter components.
  • sbnsbn Member Posts: 9
    When the sunvisors in my 2005 CRV LX are down, they won't stay up against the windshield. Instead, they bounce back down partway & block more of the view than I'd like for them to.

When they're folded away, there's no problem in getting them to stay in place next to the roof.

Would it help to tighten - or loosen - something the visors? Is there some other way to make the visors stay put to block the glare without blocking the view?

Thanks very much,
    -sbn
    Good afternoon,
    Just curious to find out how you made out at the dealer regarding your bothersome "Tailgate" light problem. Mine also has gotten so bad that it remains on most of the time so I plan on bringing it in for repair this Tuesday.
    Thanx
    Have the people with the tailgate light problem checked the rear door stop? It is adjustable by turning clockwise or counter clockwise. It may be that the door is not latching properly.
    Thank you for your imput. The problem is the latch located on the inside left of the back. It moves back and forth with a spring action. When the door closes the latch should go forward enough to lock the door properly and arm the alarm system. When the door closes, it is not pushing this latch far enough in therefore the dashboard light comes on and the doors cannot close automatically with alarm because the sensors think the door is not closed. I am going back to Honda tommorrow for a 3rd fix. Do you think the rear door stop adjustment might help.? Thanx
  • gecko63gecko63 Member Posts: 2
    The Service Manager said that he was aware of the issue and that Honda had issued a service bulletin addressing the problem. According to him, the fix is to adjust both the switch and the door hinges. They did that and so far the light has stayed off (it has been a week).
  • brianmcgannbrianmcgann Member Posts: 8
    I went to Autozone today and they read the code from the blinking "D" light. Said it is a transmission switch sensor problem (code PO845). They didn't give any other info as to how serious, cost, etc. Can anyone provide information on how serious a problem this is, what the repair cost should be approximately, etc. Thanks.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    P0812 Open in Transmission Range Switch ATP RVS Switch Circuit
    P0842 Short in 2nd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Clutch, or 2nd Clutch Transmission
    Fluid Pressure Switch (Clutch) Stuck ON
    P0843 Open in 2nd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 2nd Clutch Transmission
    Fluid Pressure Switch Stuck OFF
    P0845 Problem in 3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Circuit
    P0847 Short in 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 3rd Clutch Transmission
    Fluid Pressure Switch Stuck ON
    P0848 Open in 3rd Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 3rd Clutch Transmission
    P0872 Short in 4th Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 4th Clutch Transmission
    Fluid Pressure Switch Stuck ON
    P0873 Open in 4th Clutch Transmission Fluid Pressure Switch Circuit, or 4th Clutch Transmission
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are Honda CRV owners who have had air conditioning issues. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, August 18, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • supercalifragsupercalifrag Member Posts: 9
    I was wondering if any of the SE model owners out there had suggestions on a good leather protectant to use on the seating to protect it from cracking. I recall the last time I had leather seating (on a cheap car that will remain nameless) and it was a matter of about a year before I noticed cracking. The seating on the CR-V SE has "factory-placed" holes throughout the leather which I would assume helps prevent some of the cracking.

Also, does anyone recommend a good cleaner for this leather seating? I noticed a blue-ish band going across the bottom of the driver's seatback and thought this might have been a transfer from my pants or perhaps a belt. I've tried all the safe stuff and I'm to the point where I want to take cleanser, acetone, "Goo Gone" or "Goof Off" to the leather but fear the damage. Any suggestions?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a couple of discussions to browse while waiting for responses in here:

Accord Leather Questions

Cleaning Leather/Cloth Interiors
    Wanted to send you a private message but I guess they have eliminated that option. Had some advice related to your code.
  • itsmycrvdudeitsmycrvdude Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if any one has had excellent to decent service from either dealer Walnut Creek or Concord, CA. Selling dealer in Pittsburg no help at all. Also would like to find a good independent mechanic.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I was wondering if any of the SE model owners out there had suggestions on a good leather protectant to use on the seating to protect it from cracking. I recall the last time I had leather seating (on a cheap car that will remain nameless) and it was a matter of about a year before I noticed cracking. The seating on the CR-V SE has "factory-placed" holes throughout the leather which I would assume helps prevent some of the cracking.

Also, does anyone recommend a good cleaner for this leather seating? I noticed a blue-ish band going across the bottom of the driver's seatback and thought this might have been a transfer from my pants or perhaps a belt. I've tried all the safe stuff and I'm to the point where I want to take cleanser, acetone, "Goo Gone" or "Goof Off" to the leather but fear the damage. Any suggestions?

I guess your OWNER's MANUAL did not say anything about taking care of the seats. Strangly enough, my manual does say how to clean the leather seats and protect the dashbaord, and I don't even have leather seats. They must have given you the EX manual. Oh, wait, all the manuals for CR-V are the same.

Sarcasm aside, Honda makes and sells Vinyl and leather protectant. I use that on the dashboard and other plastics. It has very low gloss finish and makes the car look like the day it came home from the dealership. I use Armor All cleaner wipes to clean the surfaces before applying the Honda protectant.
  • supercalifragsupercalifrag Member Posts: 9
    Yes, I did read the manual, but it didn't solve my "stain" problem. :cry: But the Moderator Steve referenced me to another board where I have seen Lexol mentioned a lot so I will be making a stop at the auto supply soon. But thanks for your follow-up! :)

Steve
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have some Lexol myself for my leather Subaru seats; Boise is a big horse town and it's easy to find around here at the mill and feed stores. Same company makes Vinylx which is similar to Armor All and 303 Protectant.
  • guidedbyvoicesguidedbyvoices Member Posts: 17
    So I busted out the rear window on my 2002 CRV LX. Widnow clean out, no dmaage to the door. Due to the lihgt attached, and the way the arms attach to it, is it going to be an expensive fix, or can itake it to any glass place and do it for an amount near my $250 deductible?
    I've got a '99 CRV with 124K miles and noticed antifeeze leaking from around the cap area on the radiator. I've religiously changed the antifeeze several times over the years, so I'm hoping it's just a worn gasket on the radiator cap.

In the event it is the radiator, has anyone changed it out in that gen. of the CRV? I'm wondering how difficult of a job it is.
    I've got a '99 CRV with 124K miles and noticed antifeeze leaking from around the cap area on the radiator. I've religiously changed the antifeeze several times over the years, so I'm hoping it's just a worn gasket on the radiator cap.

In the event it is the radiator, has anyone changed it out in that gen. of the CRV? I'm wondering how difficult of a job it is.

Just out of curiosity, what brand of Anti-freeze have you been using?

Radiator replacement is fairly straightforward on Hondas. Remove the upper brace and the hoses. The radiator just sits there in the rubber bushings. OEM rad from the dealer should be under $200. Or you can get knock offs as long as they are significantly cheaper.

Radiator removal procedure

Disclaimer: the above link is for reference only.
    So I busted out the rear window on my 2002 CRV LX. Widnow clean out, no dmaage to the door. Due to the lihgt attached, and the way the arms attach to it, is it going to be an expensive fix, or can itake it to any glass place and do it for an amount near my $250 deductible?

Shop around. I have had front windshiled replaced for less than $250. Rear glass should be even cheaper.
  • db2db2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2004 CRV and have noticed a horrible sound when I have my air conditioning on and Idling, or even in Reverse - sounds like the vehicle is 30 years old - I can't really describe the sound - is this an indicator of the compressor issues I've been reading about, or just typical with a small engine (had never heard it before)....Also, anyone have any suggestions for a good set of replacement tires for Minnesota driving?
    " Just out of curiosity, what brand of Anti-freeze have you been using? "

Only Honda's brand, bought it at the dealer. Thx for the link for radiator replacement.
  • texasscubatexasscuba Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what might cause the D on the instrument panel to flash randomly? There's nothing in the owners manual and the dealership didn't have any ready answers.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    I believe it means there is an issue with the transmission. There should be a code stored in the computer. You can get your dealership to read it for you or if you have an Advance Auto parts store near you, they'll read it for free.
    nothing in the owners manual...

Are you sure??? I've personally seen it in there.

...and the dealership didn't have any ready answers.

Find a different dealer. It's basic.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    There's a thread for CR-V tires that pretty much covers it. Comes down to Bridgestone Triplethread or Michelin Hydroedge. I myself am a Michelin fan (have Michelin wiper blades too), have had them on my Galant since 2003, think about 60K on them so far, never ever had any trouble, 6/32 left on them so far. Bought them from Sears (Ridgedale Mall in Mtka). I'll decide after the winter... which, I guess is not far - today saw the first ad for Snowblowers in the paper :surprise: .
  • jpcanaverajpcanavera Member Posts: 33
    Sounds much like mine did before it bit the dust. I described the sound much like a bunch of parts rattling around in a can.

In essance my dealership told me that my compressor internally disintagrated.

Jack
  • judylinkjudylink Member Posts: 33
    I have only 2800 miles on the car. It lurched and shook with some nice grinding sounds after driving about 1 hour on day. The dealership replaced the entire differential claiming that the fluid leaked out. I don't know if I should be concerned with future problems. They said no, due to the fact they replaced the whole differential. PS If you break down on the NJ Turnpike it'll cost a lot for towing. $300 for 15 minutes! "Pay to Play"
  • mlogsdon17mlogsdon17 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 CR-V with 45k miles. I have a really bad vibration in the front end when I make really sharp turns or when i pull sharp right or left out of a parking space.

I replaced my tires which were terribly cupped but the problem remains with the new tires.

Anyone ever have this problem? What was the solution?

Thanks
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Usually when the tires are cupped it's an indication of a suspension issue. I'd have someone check the front suspension and your alignment. I'd guess something is either worn out or off.
    Looking for some ideas here. A couple weeks ago I smelled anti-freeze when I got out of the CRV. Opened the hood and saw blue splashes around the radiator cap, sounds easy, replace the cap. I went to the dealer, bought a gallon of anti-freeze, and ordered the cap, went home and topped off the radiator and filled the resevoir half full. I was down maybe a pint.

The cap came in a few days ago, so I replaced it, wiped everything down real good, and topped off the resevoir, the radiator was still full up to the top.

But I still smell anti-freeze and there a few small blue splashes around the cap. I let it idle in my driveway for half an hour last night but couldn't see any leak and the smell is quite noticeable.

Thoughts?
    Pinholes in the filler neck or near the cap??
  • sealchowsealchow Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 CR-V and at 60,000 miles the a/c went out. Has anyone experienced this? I'm looking at almost $1,000 just in compressor, condenser & belt and that's not including the labor. Of course when I called the dealership when it happened they let me know that the warranty on a/c only ran thru 50,000 miles. Very discouraging.
  • sealchowsealchow Member Posts: 2
    I have same exact issue. It's not consistent at first but then becomes an issue each time trying to start. After 2-3 times it starts up. I have '02 CRV and years ago I had this SAME ISSUE with my CRX...dealership could never 'figure it out' & it never did this when I had it in their shop....
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    What was Honda's final solution to the oil drip on the hot engine manifold which caused CRV's going down the highway to look like a space shuttle at lift off. I know that they changed oil filters and put out alerts to mechanics to ensure that residual pieces of the old oil filter gasket did not remain to prevent a full seal of the new filter. Did they change the location of the oil filter or take other redesign actions beginning with the 2006 MY? Were there any similar problems with the 2006? This problem seemed to be the most serious safety issue with the CRV over the last several years when I began to look at this vehicle for possible future purchase. Thanks. Ralph
    Thx for the suggestion, but I don't see any anti-freeze leaking, but it obviously is since I can see the blue splash marks. My guess is the radiator is leaking in the front and then it's being blown up as I drive.
  • dragonfly47dragonfly47 Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2002 CR-V and at 60,000 miles the a/c went out. Has anyone experienced this?

There's a whole 'nother thread on A/C Compressor issues. Hopefully , it'll save you some money by reading.