Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Good description. It's all on warranty. And as kyfdx states, it may not be a tranny problem. They should be able to see what's going on, even without your description.
  • mafernamaferna Posts: 83
    Thanks, the flat-bed just took my V to the dealer,
    I hope there's nothing to worry about; it's brand new!
  • eichiefeichief Posts: 2
    Our doors will automatically lock for no reason. For example, my wife will remotely unlock all doors, open the left backseat passenger door to place my kid in his safety seat and then close that same door. When she then goes to open the driver's door it is locked. This has happened numerous times. I can hear the door locks click anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes after unlocking the doors remotely. It's horribly annoying and could be quite dangerous. What if when my wife tosses her purse on the front passenger seat while she is putting my kid in his saftey seat and then gets locked out? My kid would be strapped into his seat and locked inside the car. Any answers or comments?
  • eichiefeichief Posts: 2
    Our doors will automatically lock for no reason. For example, my wife will remotely unlock all doors, open the left backseat passenger door to place my kid in his safety seat and then close that same door. When she then goes to open the driver's door it is locked. This has happened numerous times. I can hear the door locks click anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes after unlocking the doors remotely. It's horribly annoying and could be quite dangerous. What if when my wife tosses her purse on the front passenger seat while she is putting my kid in his saftey seat and then gets locked out? My kid would be strapped into his seat and locked inside the car. Any answers or comments?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,957
    Well.. not being there...

If you open the car with the remote, but don't open a door within a certain period of time, the car will re-lock itself.. This is to keep you from unlocking the car as you walk away.. by inadvertently pushing a button while putting your keys in your pocket or purse..

That doesn't sound like what is happening with your car... But, food for thought..

WAG #2: Is the remote in her purse when she throws it in the front seat? Maybe the remote is wearing out, and the button is activating from small pressures or shocks?

I recommend never closing all of the doors without having the keys on your person.. Maybe it comes from being a route driver at one time, but I always pat the front of my pocket before closing the door on my car.. I know your wife probably wears clothes without pockets, etc... But, she should really never close the car doors with your child inside, unless the keys are outside the car.. You are correct in stating that it is potentially dangerous..

I realize none of this solves your problem, but maybe she should leave her purse on the roof, while she buckles your child up.. No, wait... that is a bad idea, also... ;)

If it happens often, you should be able to demonstrate it for the service department.. It shouldn't be difficult to fix. But, I still would stop closing the door, while both by keys and child are inside, even after the repair.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• theracoontheracoon Posts: 666
    As kyfdx mentions, if you use the remote to unlock the doors and then don't actually open a door, they will relock themselves. Perhaps the problem is with a sticking switch on the "left backseat passenger door" so that the open door isn't being sensed correctly? It's easy to check.

Unlock the doors and open the driver's door. Does the overhead light go on? Change the switch on the light so that the light comes on only when the door is open. It has three settings: always off, on when doors are open, always on. Close all the doors (so the light is off).

Open the "left backseat passenger door". Does the light go on? If it doesn't, check the switch on the door frame to see if it's popping out. It may just be gummed up and poking at it will fix the problem, or possibly might be broken and have to be replaced.

Good luck.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797

Did you get an aftermarket alarm installed?
    It is quite possible that the car doe snot sense the door being open. Or the remote button is accidentally pushed. The way the remote power locks are designed in a Honda, they will not work if any of the doors, trunk or hatch are open.
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    Yes varmit! I wanted to move the rest so it does not tilt downward by either changing its position or moving the entire rest. It only bothers me on long drives. I looked at your recommendation and it would probably work but for 107.00 I will use my retrofit which seems to work, its non-permanent and I can remove it when not needed. Have another question maybe you have the answer. Many times when I shiift the overdrive button in the top of the gearshift it kicks off. I made a plastic cap for the top and it works but I would like something more aesthic. Do you know of anyone that sells a gearshift knobcover that will fit the CRV? All the places I went to, don't have the size. Thanx for your info.
    Yes varmit! I wanted to move the rest so it does not tilt downward by either changing its position or moving the entire rest. It only bothers me on long drives. I looked at your recommendation and it would probably work but for 107.00 I will use my retrofit which seems to work, its non-permanent and I can remove it when not needed. Have another question maybe you have the answer. Many times when I shiift the overdrive button in the top of the gearshift it kicks off. I made a plastic cap for the top and it works but I would like something more aesthic. Do you know of anyone that sells a gearshift knobcover that will fit the CRV? All the places I went to, don't have the size. Thanx for your info.

Varmint drives a manual Gen 1 :-) I drive a manual Gen 2.

The over ride light should be off when the over ride is engaged, when you dis engage override the light comes on. Whenever you turn off the car and restart it will default to overide on (no light). Same for VSC.

OWNER'S MANUAL is your friend :-)
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,027
    Uhh..host-biddy here, and I know it's a typo, but I'd appreciate it if the next person replying to this subject makes sure it's "gearshift" in the title. :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• tomk17tomk17 Posts: 135
    Anyone ever have the need to replace the mirror lens on a 04 CRV? My wife had a mis-hap (I'll spare the details) whereby the mirror glass poped out and broke. Looks like a new piece could be snapped in. The mirror glass has a black plastic backing plate that snaps to a round disc type thing on the mirror motor assembly. The dealer is ordering me what looks like the glass and backing plate from a parts breakdown but he's skeptical that I might need more of the assembly. We'll see Thursday but just thought I would solicit info on similar experiences.
  • naominaomi Posts: 1
    I searched previous messages & read about a clicking noise when braking or changing from reverse to drive, but I just wanted to make sure the noise I hear is similar to what other people are hearing. I just bought a 2005 EX AT & I frequently hear a click when I come to a full stop. It almost sounds like a clock switching to the next number or something so i wasn't sure if it was a standard mechanical noise as the car comes to a stop or if it's related to using the brakes. From the other messages, it seems normal & isn't something to take it to the dealership for? Thanks for the help!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    My wife's Acura TL has this feature. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it can be disabled. Check your owner's manual. As Ole Blue Eyes suggested, the manual is your friend. ;)
    Not sure I understand the reason for your question. Are you saying that the plastic cap pops off?

I'm not aware of an aftermarket gearshift that fits the automatic trannies. I know there are a few for the manuals (but that's no help here).
    There's brake clunk. And then there's the solenoid click.

Brake Clunk is described here. I kinda doubt it's the issue the you are concerned with.

The solenoid click is normal. It's a little electrical widget in the steering column that locks out the reverse gear when the car is rolling. It does make an audible click. It's driven some folks crazy while others have never heard it.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    Not sure about the 04, but on my '99 it's a "snap".......Just snap it in.....piece of cake.
  • I've been reading a bunch of the pulls to the right posts but am not seeing any mention of what the tire pressures were/are for these cars. Any notes on that?

Thanks!
  • gk20gk20 Posts: 7
    Look at your Quick Start Guide, at "Dash View & Highlights" page, Honda indicated this clicking sound is normal.
    Varmit, apparantly its clear to me but no one else. Let me try again, nothing wrong with auto gearshift lever except hondas engineers should have recessed the overdrive button deeper in the top of the handle. When I or my wife sometimes shift the lever the O/D kicks off because we inadvertanly press the button and you can't see the light very well on the panal in bright sunlight so you are driving with the O/d off.. Sooo I designed a cap to cover the top. The cap is made of white pvc and looks crappy. Since you are knowledgeable on what aftermarket parts are out there I thought I would query you on a gearshift knob or cover that would fit the handle.I am sure I am not the only one that has this problem and I was hoping you knew of someone that was making this aftermarket item.

And before anyone asks how I would use the O/D if I needed it. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the topof the cover and a pen or pencil or dowel can be used to depress the O/D button. Thanks Anyway :)
    Varmit, apparantly its clear to me but no one else. Let me try again, nothing wrong with auto gearshift lever except hondas engineers should have recessed the overdrive button deeper in the top of the handle. When I or my wife sometimes shift the lever the O/D kicks off because we inadvertanly press the button and you can't see the light very well on the panal in bright sunlight so you are driving with the O/d off.. Sooo I designed a cap to cover the top. The cap is made of white pvc and looks crappy. Since you are knowledgeable on what aftermarket parts are out there I thought I would query you on a gearshift knob or cover that would fit the handle.I am sure I am not the only one that has this problem and I was hoping you knew of someone that was making this aftermarket item.

And before anyone asks how I would use the O/D if I needed it. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the topof the cover and a pen or pencil or dowel can be used to depress the O/D button. Thanks Anyway

Not to be a smart [non-permissible content removed], but the incessant engine noise would tell you that you are in a low gear. CR-V does not have a quiet engine, it makes its presence known well.

You may want to try disconnecting the switch at the base of the shifter, and putting a "flicker" switch somewhere in the dash to re-activate O/D button, when needed.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,785
    Wow...you sure went to a lot of trouble over this!

I can't remember ever accidently pushing the OD button on mine.

:confuse:
    Gotcha now! Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I'm still not aware of any aftermarket solution.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,816
    "And before anyone asks how I would use the O/D if I needed it. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the topof the cover and a pen or pencil or dowel can be used to depress the O/D button."

Don't you have to take your eyes off the road for a considerable time to insert a pen or pencil?

Personally, I like the switch where it is, and use it occaisionally when I want to kick up the power.
  • scotty3scotty3 Posts: 1
    I am switching from using a Saturn to a 2005 CR-V to tow behind my motorhome. Are there any additional steps to tow a CR-V such as disconnecting fuses, etc?
    The steps are in the owner's manual. They will differ depending on which transmission you chose. I don't have a 2005 model or I'd look them up for you. Perhaps someone with a 2nd gen vehicle can post them for you.
    Isell, there is always a first and second time for everything.

Stevdebi in about three months with this retrofit. I used the switch once and really you don't have to take your eyes off of the road.
  • myu1myu1 Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 05 CR-V 2WD LX. i noticed that when i turned on the windshield wiper, i feel the vibration and click going with the same rhythm as the speed of the wiper. i can also feel this slightly when my foot is on the gas paddle. the Honda service told me that it's a common problem. is this true? thanks. myu
  • I need to refill the coolant reservoir on my 04 CRV. The manual highly recommends using the Honda manufactured all season type 2 coolant 50/50. Has anyone used a different brand? Is it ok for the engine to go with a different brand as long as it is 50/50? I bought the Prestone 50/50 which says its good on all makes, models, and color. I would hate to do damage to my car. any suggestions?
    Myu1 - Yes, the vibration is normal. Well, it's not a defect anyway. I've read somewhere that the wiper motors are mounted on the firewall rather than a structural crossmember, so the vibration carries into the passenger compartment. Not sure if that's true.

Aznskittles - You don't need to buy Honda fluids (except for the rear diff).
  • Thanks. Just a follow-up question to that, so would it be ok to just add it in and mix with the original coolant or do i have to drain-flush-refill? (if anyone has yahoo msgr and knows more car care info pls im me (aznflavaskittles))