Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is GM Going To Offer A Serious Diesel?

Comments

• KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    oops, sorry - I know you hate that... :)

I agree with you in that it is overall numbers which include all models of a truck. But remember this - the GM half tons are the only trucks that offer a diesel. So while Ford and Dodge only offer theirs on HD 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, the GM 6.5 is available across the board in all their trucks.

Without talking stats and percentages, you still have to wonder why GM can't sell more oil-buners than Dodge, unless their engine IS that inferior.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• tmd01tmd01 Posts: 23
    The company I work for was died-in-the-wool GM truck users. They even invested in the GM diesels. But after having their trucks in the shop more than on the jobsite, they went to Ford. Why Ford over Dodge? Availability of one year old trucks with diesels. They are looking at the new F-4/550 so they can get crew cabs. They bought a 3/4 ton Suburban full blown everything with 4x4 and 454 cu engine and it's (they tell me) a pile of junk, but they are stuck with it. It wanders all over the road and vibrates and GM can't fix it. We are all waiting to see what GM does with the Diesel.
  • grand1grand1 Posts: 2
    Kcram what do you think moves the chassis down the road.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    grand,

You missed my point. Ford has put everything from 140-inch 4 cylinders to 429-inch V8s under the hoods of Mustangs - all of them will move the load that a Mustang is capable of carrying. But if you need to carry more than 4 people and a lot of cargo, even a 429 Mustang won't get it done, because there's no room or weight capacity. You need a larger stronger vehicle to do it. As Chevy showed a few years back, a 454 can get under the hood of a half ton, but are you going to pull a fully loaded horse trailer with a 454SS? The GMC Syclone had a nearly 300hp turbo V6 under the hood, but it only had a payload of 500 pounds. Are you going to throw a pallet full of cinder blocks back there? It's the chassis that holds the weight - almost any engine can move it, albeit some slower than others.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• cdean

that is not the diesel going into the trucks. One bad incident does not mean the whole line is junk. you had a lemon sorry for that, let each choose what they want in there truck.

The diesel is the one you see in the large isuzu delivery trucks or (tow trucks around here). I know nothing about it. Other than people in the diesel industry who use them for what they are meant for (not because they sound good) say it is a great engine that runs circles around others.

Yes the 6.5 sucks. To me it is just another option other than gas. GM has not been trying to compete in the diesel engine class, because they have had nothing to compete with.

Like before alot of the Dodge,Ford guys seem to be ripping GM apart before the product is even on the market. Saw it on the Silverado post now its happening here. What till the product is out, and you see what it actually does.

I question CAT putting a diesel in Dodge. Why would they back out of a deal with GM because the numbers are to low for them to build a whole new plant. Then all of a sudden sell it to dodge. Yes dodge may sell more diesel now but not enough to build a whole new plant. Sounds like rumor to me. Plus I see alot of posts of dodge owners having transmission problems. How could it all of a sudden handle a CAT engine. Besides CAT does huge diesel applications, and that is about it. My two cents on the CAT thing.
  • grand1grand1 Posts: 2
    Listen up Kcram. Not every engine can carry a lot of weight. You obviously have no idea what you are talking. It is my opinion that you are making this up as you go. The chasis does carry the weight BUT it is the motor which moves it down the road. I am just trying to tell you that the 6.5 is not the weak engine you are making it out to be.
  • I see the emotipons are high--but if one of you could help me--I am looking at a 95 GMC 1500 witht he 6.5 turbo in it.

I really dont know jack about the motor but wish someone could help me decide if thsi is a "bad risk" diesel.
    What has specifically been the shortcomings of it
    What kind of fuel efficiency can I expect?
    Should I just avoid the engine??

Please shoot straight with me
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    buy the cummins, last three times longer, you can only overhaul the 6.5 once, the cummins 3 times, that's probably gonna last you your whole lifee!
  • xl_1228xl_1228 Posts: 29
    Rocky12,
    I can't tell you anything about the 6.5's fuel mileage, but I can tell you it has some big shortcomings. The 6.5 isn't even comparable to the Dodge or Ford in the power department. Another big problem with the 6.5s is the injector pump. They are notorious for going out and I've heard many stories of GM trucks with the 6.5 diesel being in the shop more than they are on the road. Definitely go with something else, I would be willing to trust either a Ford Powerstroke or a Dodge Cummins.
  • FETZFETZ Posts: 51
    The GM 6.5 diesel is not a "weak" motor by any means. The main problem with it is the reliability of the injector pump, and the big bucks it costs to fix that.

If it weren't for that problem, it would be a fine choice.

Yes, I know about the numbers. Ford is at the top of the heap, with 500 ft/lbs of torque. Next is Dodge at 440 ft/lbs, then Chevy at 430 ft/lbs. But that's still plenty of power.

As for this business about Dodge putting a CAT under the hood... they better work on beefing up their trannys! They haven't been standing up very well to the torque the Cummins is putting out. How do they expect it to handle more? Maybe they'll put an industrial strength Allison tranny in it to handle all that power. Who knows?
  • RichRich Posts: 128
    rocky12,
    If you're buying a 6.5 for a daily driver and almost always empty, the 6.5 may work out for you. If you're buying a work truck, maybe not.

If you're buying a used truck, do you KNOW how it was used previously? Has it always received DIESEL maintenance? Has the engine always been run with a fuel lubricity enhancer to lubricate the injection pump? What about cavitation damage in the cooling system? Are there WRITTEN maintenance records? There should be no real problem if the truck has been maintained properly. Is the dealer willing to give you a 2 year, 24K warranty on the engine? If the truck has been taken care of, the warranty is a safe bet for the dealer.

Now let me stir up some emotionalism!

I've always found that the cheapest vehicle to purchase is a new one. About the time the vehicle starts costing money to maintain, I get rid of it. (On the last two F-250s this was in the 120 to 130 K-Mile range.) The question that you have to answer for yourself is, when does this expensive maintenance life start on the vehicle you're considering. Finally, there usually isn't that much difference in the payments between new and used. Used are usually a higher interest rate for a shorter term.

Good luck with your decision,
    Rich
  • rocky12

they are right when they say it has problems with the injecter pump. you never know when it will go out.

It seems that some trucks replace them anually. An there are other trucks or suv's that have not had one problem.

WEIRD, My GUESS since they didn't keep it they have had problems. ONLY A GUESS. Safer to skip it
  • tnt2tnt2 Posts: 115
    I had a 6.5 chevy k3500 that I traded on a '99 F350. The 7.3 is much stronger than the stock 6.5 Chevy hands down. If you are a Chevy man and want a diesel motor, contact Turbo Technologies in Tacoma, WA. They sold me an intercooler kit for mine that made it run away from any diesel or stock gas motor, empty that is. Put weight on it and it held its own up to about 10,000#. Add a steep grade and it fell off, not to mention the eventual high exhaust temp. For me there are currently only 2 choices on diesel pickups, Ford & Chevy, that is until Dodge comes out with a real 4 door.
  • stanfordstanford Posts: 606
    Of course, Gale Banks can make the new Cummins and Powerstroke monsters even better ... without the extra temperature gain. Well worth checking out iff you tow large houses. Not much point otherwise IMO, but... very impressive numbers :-)
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    26Andrew1
    little confused on your post, just got back from vacation. I heard the Isuzu "delivery truck" straight 6 engine, wasn't going in the new Chevys. i was told it was a v8.
  • glenn2glenn2 Posts: 39
    when is GM going to build a serious truck???
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    nOT FOR A LONG LONG,LONG TIME! AND THEN MABYE!
  • jrs2jrs2 Posts: 1
    I hear in the year 2000 chevrolet will introduce the 8.1 liter yes, I said 8.1, 780 ft-lb torque ISUZZU diesel engine. That ought to crush most any automatic transmission.
  • tnt2tnt2 Posts: 115
    I don't think it will make the 2000 model year. I'm not even sure of the size or numbers. The thing I do know is that GM & Isuzu are building a diesel engine plant in Dayton, OH and it won't be operational for at least 2 yrs. I heard possibly 2003.
  • cdean

your right I was talking out my butt. Surprised anyone heard me.

What it is not is the diesel that was in isuzu troopers an there small trucks
This discussion has been closed.