Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is GM Going To Offer A Serious Diesel?

13»

Comments

• bigfur1bigfur1 Posts: 34
    Alright, according to the press release from GM the new deisel is going to be a 6.6L V8 direct injection turbo.
    To verify go to http://www.auto.com/industry/qgm9.htm
    found this in the archived topics #339
  • DoccersDoccers Posts: 16
    Reguarding Dodge Transmissions:

Guess who Chrysler just merged with.

Guess who's transmissions are most likely going to wind up in dodge trucks in place of the Chryco ones.

Are Daimler-Benz heavy truck transmissions suddenly weak, too? :)
  • If you look at the new silverado it doesn't look like a truck that a diesel should be in. It looks like a gasoline truck. The dodge looks like a diesel truck. The ford looks like nothing
  • Ford looks like nothing huh. They've got the most powerful diesel out there, and in my opinion, they are way better looking than either Dodge or the GM trucks.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    That most powerful diesel that ford has got is about to be de throned for good. Soon as dodge gets that new allsion 6spd tranny in there cummins (by this spring), you may say hello ISB.
  • I'm sure Ford will have an answer to that. Ford's got a great transmission in the 4R-100, and I'm sure they will do something to make it even stronger to handle an even more powerful engine. How do you know for good?
    Actully fords navistar is prettly much max out for power. They would have to find another diesel that could compete with the cummins. Thats what gm did, they had to go to izuzu for them to compete in the diesel category. But even that won't be enough to be the cummins allison combo, matched to dodges looks.

Source for allsion tranny, www.car-truck.com
  • stanfordstanford Posts: 606
    Where do you get that information from? May I recommend checking out the Navistar Webpage about the 7.3l diesel? You can say that you like the Cummins better than the Powerstroke, but you don't have to make thing up about it.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    dodgeram,

stanford is right - the Navistar 7.3 (aka the T444E) is just as detuned for Ford as the Cummins is for Dodge. They are both medium duty engines. The GM 6.2/6.5 on the other hqnd, is maxed out, as it was designed for light duty trucks. The related GM 8.2 V8 was a medium duty, but it suffered from poor sales and hasn't been offered in years.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Actully the information came from this site a while back ago, I can't rember which topic, but it was argued then, and someone said that the navistar was maxed out for power, and the also stated that you can over haul it only a couple times, vs the three times for the cummins. Not my words, just stating someone elses opinion. If they are wrong, then sorry for false info.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    The overhauling statement may be correct. Cummins builds their engines with the intent to go a million miles with an overhaul every 300K miles or so. Navistar doesn't compete with Cummins in the class 8 market, so they don't have engines like the N14 (aka the old NTC Big Cam series), ISX, or Signature 600 to gain features and expertise from.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    Navistar basically cannot be rebuilt, once its crashed, its junked out for good. I have yet to see anyone keep one and make one go up to the 300K mark. the most i have seen on any Navistar is about 220,000 on an earlier model engine, and it was on its last breath--but, i will say the owner drove that thing hammer down every where he went, i can honestly say no one could be harder on an engine than this guy.

my point is, I haven't seen anyone keep a diesel that long. Company i used to work for ran several powerstrokes in work trucks and traded them in when they hit 100,000 because everytime he kept one longer, it costed him more to fix it than it did to trade in for a new one.
  • This place is great. Seems like all you truckin men respect each other's likes and dislikes. I took a chance and bought a new Cummins 24v 99 because I liked my friend's 1994 12v. I hope I get as good service out of mine as he has out of his. We use the Gm diesels at work, hard to start sometimes, Have another friend who opted for the Ford Powerstroke, really likes it, but says fuel mileage can't touch the Cummins. Good Luck and Happiness to all Earsonly
13»
This discussion has been closed.