Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Any questions for a Dodge Truck salesman??

Comments

• Options
    chevy4chevy4 Member Posts: 1
    yea - who in his right mind would buy any kind of Chrysler product let alone sell one?
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Chevy4....you are a loser
  • Options
    richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 98 Ram15004x4 Club Cab 360V8 Auto Tranny 3.55 gears 265/75 tires:

I have 8000 miles on it and it is a great truck. I plan to buy a 14 foot boat (less than 1000 lbs). I do haul loads on occassion and I 4 wheel offroad at times. I have a few questions to you fellow Rammers:

1. Is it ok to tow without the HD service group and tow package? Up to what weight is safe?

2. Is the rear bumber really good to tow 5000lbs? I currently have no hitch.

3. Do I need to install an aux tranny cooler? If so How hard is it to install. How much from Mopar? Do I need to install the specified "engine cooling" the option in the HD service group?

4. In the HD service goup it says they use an engine cooler, Is that a larger radiator or a motor oil cooler. I know there is already a tranny oil cooler.

5. In my Ram I see that there are 2 rubber hoses (labeled Automatic Transmission) going in to front radiator. Is this some type of Auto Trans oil cooling? I do not have the HD servie group. What is this?

6. Is the trans temp light(overheat) in the dash option included in the HD service group or is it only for the Snow Plow prep group?

7. Are the 3.55 gears ok for towing. Most of my driving is highway towing or hauling nothing?

I was planning to install an aftermarket tranny cooler that mounts in front of the radiator or in front of the ac condenser. It cost about $60. Am I crazy to install this for towing such a light load? I figure an extra tranny cooler can only make the tranny last longer, even if I do not tow, am I right?

Any comments would be helpful.

Thank You
    Rich
  • Options
    goforitgoforit Member Posts: 6
    Looking for reliable information about Dodge trucks.What better place to ask the question than in a Dodge forum.You guys and girls that have dodges are you happy with them? Presently own 95 150 looking to upgrade but still keep hearing about quality problems on dodges.Drove a 99 quad cab 4x4 with the cummins motor.Loved the truck but a little hesitant about spending 35Gs for something that wont hold together.
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Rich: I wouldn't worry about towing 1000# with that truck. The bumper mount hitch will work just fine. Extra coolers are always nice, but wouldn't be required for that load.

Goforit: Check out the full thread by clicking 'see all responses' and let us know if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Goforit:

Also check out the Dodge Ram topic.
  • Options
    Stanford: Thanks for the input. I think I am going to install the extra tranny cooler. it seems easy to install and only costs $60

Goforit: I love my 98 Ram1500 4x4 Club Cab.The 5.9 360 V8 Is a great performer. I also hear good things about the deisel. I would definitley reccommend any Dodge Ram. My buddy bought a 99 Silverado (great truck) but spent about 8,000 more . He says my Ram looks much more like a 4x4 and he drove it and liked the torquey 360 V8.

Ladyblue: How is your Ram treating you?

Rich
  • Options
    Rich:

Thanks for asking. I love it! So far only two minor problems - the doors are creaking and my mileage hasn't been too good. At just under 700 miles on the truck, I'm averaging 11 mpg. I figure the gas mileage may improve as the truck breaks in, and I'm still trying to decide if I can just live with the creaky doors, or if I should have it looked at.
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    goforit, Go for it. I havn't seen any more reliablity problems with the Dodge than I see on the Ford and Chevy topics. I love my 98 Dodge Quad Cab Cummins. I have had no problems so far. (16,000 miles)
  • Options
    trex99trex99 Member Posts: 61
    WOW!!!
    I've been absent for a while and I see many many great questions on Ram trucks.....Lets see.....
    To Durbien...you can get a Sport package on Dakota in all colors except Metallic Red and Driftwood.....also the HD service group includes, Trans cooler for auto's, Larger radiator,higher amp battery, higher output alternator, and skid plate for the transfer case on 4x4's.....tilt and cruise arent standard with the SLT package but are optional...however every SLT Ive ever seen had them both...thats part of bein loaded isnt it???.....The TUT package or tire and handling group includes rear stabilizer for both 4x2 and 4x4.....Sport+ package is the 5.2 v-8 and yes the price is for the whole package.....
    And for everyone else...if you have a Ram with an automatic trans the trans temp light is there....and it will light up if you are towing without a cooler and are overdoing it....the HD service group is very inexpensive and covers all ends of the towing scene.....not just for the trans cooler but also the electrical system...ie: battery and alternator too....very wise choice.....we order all trucks with the HD group at our store....

To:Goforit.....Two questions?? would you rather buy a diesel that IS a TRUE diesel?? or would you rather buy one that is STILL a converted gas engine????
    I'll say again...the cummins is rated at 300,000 to 350,000 miles before its first overhaul.....and can be rebuilt 3 times before being resleeved....the PowerJoke is rated at 130,000 to 180,000 and ya might as well throw it away afterwards because the EPA says folks are only gettin another 40,000 miles after that rebuild.....

To: Ladyblue......Absolutely...!!!! Go get that squeaky door fixed....And also I've heard the same complaint about the mileage on Rams before but I have heard as the engine nears 1500 miles or so it improves greatly....I hope your enjoyin that truck!!!!!

And for those of you wondering about the 6 speed Tranny's theyre still TBD (to be determined) in the ordering system....but you know Dodge will get it right before they try to beat everybody to the market....and that Allison 6 speed automatic should be bullet proof!!!!!

Thanks again for the questions :-) T REX
  • Options
    Oh I almost forgot....somebody throw chevy4 a quarter so he can catch the clue bus when it rolls by............HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Where might I go on the net to find photos/drawings of the next generation Ram? I will be buying another vehicle in 2000 sometime.
  • Options
    I have always wondered why many people who don't need some of the other benefits of diesels choose them over a big v-8 or v-10 gas engine. They cite the increased longevity, which is true, but for the extra cost of the diesel, you could invest the money and buy a new or rebuilt V-8 gas engine in 8 years, after it's worn out. You'd then have a NEW gas engine, instead of a 125,000 mile diesel. You also would benefit from the MUCH quieter engine, the easier availability of fuel(try pulling into a crowded gas station with that trailer you bought the diesel for and having to wait for the single diesel pump available, while cars are honking at you and your huge rig to get out of the way!) and better driveablity when unloaded. I suspect many diesels are sold for "macho" purposes. I have to chuckle every time I get behind one in a fast food drive thru. The drivers have to turn the engine off to be heard over the speaker. Finally, there is a very limited market when selling a used diesel truck. Buyers are out there , but you just have to hunt them down.
  • Options
    Yes, the dealer DOES make more if he sells you a Cummin's engine that sells for say, $2,000 more than a gas engine.(I don't know the exact figures)
    He gets a 3% holdback, so that'd be $60 right there. Not a lot, but when you look at thousands of units per year, I guess it all adds up.

I still think diesels are oversold. Towing your trailer daily for work is one thing....towing a boat to the lake 10 times a year doesn't require a diesel. You could pay someone to tow it there for you for the extra cost of a diesel! And as for gas mileage, if you're buying a $30,000 truck and towing a $30,000 boat or house trailer, the $200 or so you save in fuel each year probably isn't where you need to be trimming the budget if you're hard up. You might be better off to buy a $22,000 truck, and keep the boat at a dock and stay in motel rooms. : )
  • Options
    You can already get a $1,000 rebate on '99 dakotas, and I know of dealers who will sell them for a few hundred over invoice, so it looks like a '99 would be a better deal, unless you keep it for a lonnnnng time. Your "new" '98 is worth what a "used" '98 is, plus about 9 cents a mile from the "average" of 15,000 miles for a 1 year old model. (about $1350) Most people buy used vehicles by year and mileage, even though they should look more at condition.
  • Options
    mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    brucec35, If you don't like diesels don't buy one. That new replacement engine your buying at 125,000 miles will be a rebuild...A new one will cost you $5000 or more...
  • Options
    Hello Trex,

Thanks for answering my question about the HD service group. I have a 98 1500 CC SLT 4x4 with the 5.9l v8 automatic. I do not have the HD service group. I have 3 more ?s.

1. Does the 5.9 litre have the larger radiator for maximum engine cooling standard? Or is the same size as the 5.2 V8?

2. I plan to install an aftermarket aux tranny cooler in front of the radiator. Where does the tranny cooler get installed from the factory?

3. After I install the tranny cooler do you think I should upgrade the radiator? Or Should I install a motor oil cooler? I plan to tow a small boat (less than 1000lbs) and 1 or 2 times a year a 3000lb camper.

4. Even though I do not have the HD servie group is it true that I do have a tranny overheat dash light?

I wish I got the HD service group, but it was only included on trucks listed over 30K at my dealer. I got my Ram for 22,900 before trade. (27K MSRP)
    Thanks in advance, you are a great help.

Rich
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    i agree with you Bruce35. my calculator says that buying a diesel just to drive around everyday doesn't come out, short term or long term. but if money isn't an issue, then enjoy.
  • Options
    sawdoctorsawdoctor Member Posts: 2
    T Rexx
    I'm looking into getting a Dakota RT. I was wondering if the 2000 RT will still have the 5.9l or will change, and will it still be available in extended cab or will it go to 4 doors as well as the regular Dakota line?

Also, while the RT's 250 hp and 335 lb/ft torque is impressive, do you think Dodge will bump up the performance due to the intro of the F150 Lightning (360 hp & 440 torque, I believe)? (I know the F150 is not in the same class, but they are close and both are performance trucks.) I'd like to be able to smoke them in an RT rather than have to see "SVT" in front of me.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    Yes, and I can buy numerous rebuilds for the price of the diesel engine upgrade, invested in a mutual fund account.

I do have to admit you'll be the one laughing when your odometer hits 400,000 miles on your 25 year old truck though. That's when it might finally break even to buy the diesel.

Of course every other part on the truck will have been replaced by then. But hey, nothing says "I want to be seen as macho even though I'm really a dentist" like a diesel.

Here's some fun numbers. For the $4000!!!! premium for the diesel over the 5.9 v-8 ( $3500 over the v-10 even), on the 2500 Ram, let's see what you could buy.
    ( I think that with the diesel, you get a few extras that might be important for some heavy users. So if you want, subtract them from the numbers. )

You could invest that $4000 at say, 10%, for the next 7 years ( the time till the gas engine dies, at say 105,000 miles, though some make it to 150,000 and more), and you'd have $8,000 to buy rebuilt engines with. That's good for about 4-5 engines right there. Keep the gas engined truck for 10 years, (15,000 miles a year) with one rebuild, and you could still have $ 8,000 in your account. After about 4 years, you have a self-funding engine account.

So nooooo, I don't think I will buy a diesel. I tow a trailer every day at work, and the 5.9 is fine. They have their place for select heavy duty users, but are ridiculously over sold. Towing the boat to the lake once a week is NOT heavy duty use.

I do have a friend who got a diesel club cab long bed 4x4 though. He's an office guy and I think he once hauled a sofa with it, once. Very macho, indeed!
  • Options
    I have a question for the dodge salesman.

Would it tick a salesman off to know that a dealer has a 8 day wait for a customer to get a vehicle in for warranty work? Excuse me, this is just to "LOOK AT" the problem not fix it. That might take another 3-4 days.

Let's see, that should only run me about $400 in rental car charges till they do the $100 repair on my vehicle, so that it will run w/o self-destructing.

Dodge makes good looking, innovative vehicles. Just think how rich you salesmen could get if Dodge would get their act together and make reliable vehicles, and then back them up with good service and a good attitude towards customers. I shudder to think what will happen to you guys the next time a recession rolls around.

To be fair, I guess the local dealership owner can't afford to hire people to fix the cars. He only owns the highest volume Dodge dealer in America. Poor guy. I guess owning half the county takes up all his time.

I shouldn't complain. The other dealer I went to told me it'd be a 2 week wait, and refused to even take an appointment to fix the thing. I just realized something..... If dodge dealers gave out loaner cars on warranty repairs, they wouldn't have any vehicles left on the lot to sell.

Btw, this problem was caused by an improper repair the first time. Which was actually a fix of a previous botched repair. I'd used this dealer instead of another because the other one botched a repair there too. Boy it sure must be hard to measure transmission fluid properly and install gaskets..

Off to Pep boys to get the part and fix the thing myself.........
  • Options
    boggleboggle Member Posts: 4
    Why do all the dealers not want to move on the advertising cost , most charging at least $350. , but agree to sell me the truck at $100. over the so called invoice price?
  • Options
    nevvic1nevvic1 Member Posts: 3
    I intend to buy a v-10 with a 3.55 axle. I've heard that the limited slip differential has some problems with this ratio. Any input on this would be appreciated.
  • Options
    fleetmaster1fleetmaster1 Member Posts: 18
    how will i go about finding out how many solar yellow 1500 4x4 q/c were made. or do you know?
  • Options
    57chev57chev Member Posts: 1
    Is there a brochure that lists cargo capacity to the 2500 and 3500 with various options (engine, wheelbase, etc.)?
  • Options
    hahnhahn Member Posts: 4
    Trex:

I have had a nightmare of a time trying to locate a 99 Dakota SLT, FIVE-SPEED, in black. Unlike most folks, I don't care for them "loaded."
    I can do without power lock and keyless entry and such, but I like the SLT for the chrome, and I dislike the color of the logos on the "sport."

A dealer in Austin told me there was not a black SLT five speed in the state of Texas. (!) If I know the truck I want, is there a way I can "order" it like some folks talk about?
  • Options
    jharringjharring Member Posts: 6
    I have recently purchased a Dakota pickup. It came with an AM/FM cassette with CD changer controls. Who makes Dodges' audio components? The CD changer Dodge offers is $400 plus installation. I know there are cheaper after market changers. My main concern is compatibility with what I have.
  • Options
    axleaxle Member Posts: 9
    jharring

I just got my 99 Ram and I ordered it with the CD controlling radio also, I found the following location which sells the Mopar changer much cheaper than the dealer will, I had mine the next day. It plugs right in to the factory controller with one cable. Tell em I sent ya !

http://www.radiosandmore.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/shophome.html?E+scstore

By the way their price was about the same as I could come up with on a third party unit and the adapter.
  • Options
    axle:

Thanks for the lead. Where did you put the CD changer in your truck? I have the AM/FM cassette, CD player and graphic equalizer in my Ram. I'm assuming this the right setup to install the changer with.

I'm not very good at electrical stuff...okay, I'm TERRIBLE with electrical stuff. How hard is this thing to install? How big is it? I've never seen one in a truck, and I'm trying to picture where I'd put it and how it hooks up.
  • Options
    meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    Overlong URL's....

have the effect of "stretching" the Edmunds pages. Some text editors will paste text into the box and wrap automatically. Some will "stretch" the URL, and consequently the box. From now on I will be "hiding" posts with overlong URL's in an attempt to keep things readable.

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, and Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Ladyblue, Most people install the CD changer under the passenger seat. For an installer there is lots of room there.
  • Options
    durbiendurbien Member Posts: 10
    For those who ordered the security alarm option (code AJB) on their trucks:

Is this alarm the same as the "EVS Security System" listed in the Mopar Accessories catalog? Specifically, does it come with all the features listed there - starter interrupt, valet, panic button, dashboard warning light, etc.?

I ordered a Dakota SLT+ with keyless, PDL, PW and the AJB alarm. Am I getting the features listed in the catalog as EVS?
  • Options
    ladyblue

I mounted mine under the passenger seat on a small board mounted to the seat frame. The electrical is simple, plug the long cable into the radio and the other end to the short cable coming out of the CD changer, no other wiring needed. I also have the AM/FM tape with EQ and CD controls. Also I ran the cable to the drivers side where the carpet is slit for the power seat and ran it along the inside part of the factory wire trough and up under the dash to the radio, a few wire ties and you are done, make sure to keep away from moving items like the park brake, etc.
  • Options
    axle:

Thank you. I was also wondering where to run the wires, and you answered that. Only thing is, I don't have the power seats, but I'm sure I can find a way to get under the carpet.

Another questions: is it awkward getting at the changer when it's under the seat? Sorry to sound so dumb, but I'm guessing you have to figure out exactly what you want to listen to BEFORE you drive off, and would have to pull over somewhere to switch CDs.
  • Options
    ladyblue

That is the disadvantage of mounting it under the seat, I REALLY would not recomend trying to change the cartridge while going 80 I mean 75 on the interstate, 6 disks per cartridge is a lot of tunes, but not ALL of Springsteens !!
  • Options
    axle:

Aw, c'mon. What else would a Jersey girl listen to? You're right, though, 6 CDs should be enough for even long trips. I could listen to that 5-disk Moody Blues collection and still have room for Piano Man.

Sounds like the hardest part may just be coming up with the extra cash for a new toy. Now, If I Had A Million Dollars....
  • Options
    UPDATE: Just wanted to share my last hilarious experience at a Dodge dealership. Well, the CD player failed AGAIN, and was covered under warranty. Sooooo, we took it in, for that and a problem with the rear brakes not engaging. Here's what my crack Dodge dealer did:

1. Fixed the CD player. Correctly.
    2. Ignored my request to inspect the rear brake adjusters. Just totally did not perform the service we brought the truck in for. Amazing.
    3. Instead, they decided the front brake rotors
    needed turning. They claimed they were warped.
    If they were actually warped(they weren't, they didn't pulse at all) they probably should have been replaced, not just turned.
    4. They then asked my wife via phone if we wanted the pads replaced while they were at it, even though they had "10,000 miles left" on them. They failed to mention to her that they usually get about 20,000 miles a set to begin with, and so, really didn't need replacing. She agreed, and they installed the pads. Whatever, it's only $100 extra of MY money.
    5. On the way home, noticed the truck wasn't braking right.
    6. returned the truck, and ........they put the pads on wrong! They weren't functioning at all! After a test-drive, one of their mechanics came back terrified! LOL Only our already semi-defective rear brakes were stopping the vehicle!
    7. They then refused to admit they'd done the job wrong, claiming "it must be those 'defective pads'
    The service writer was then reminded about the rear brake problem, looked stricken, then composed himself and claimed they'd looked at them and there was no problem. (btw, no rear brake inspection was charged for, nor mentioned on the receipt)
    8. Rear brakes still do not function, but I'm afraid to take it to a dealer to get fixed.

This is the 3rd Dodge dealer I've tried, so it's not like these guys are an isolated problem dealership. Well, off to buy a non-dodge product. See ya.
  • Options
    sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Bruce35

Sorry to read about all your troubles at the different Dodge dealerships. I know you are angry, but you shouldn't condemn the factory. For every vehicle built there are service department stories that will make you cringe. And they happen with Ford and Chevy as well as Dodge. The problem isn't so much the factory, it's the idiots that pose as mechanics. Hope you get your Ram fixed.
  • Options
    slvideoslvideo Member Posts: 8
    So, whats new for the 2000 SLT 3500 Diesels. Why not a true 4 door crew cab truck for Dodge? Sell me on the Dodge, because I'm about to order a new Ford!
  • Options
    jharringjharring Member Posts: 6
    Axel, Thanks for the Changer info. I'll be ordering one post hast. installation should not be a problem. I just have to figure where to mount it in the Dakota.
  • Options
    ddanielddaniel Member Posts: 2
    I posted this in another topic before I saw this one. Anyway, where/how can I recalibrate the speedometer on my 98 24valve pickup? I've got 255/85R16 tires on it. They work great in deep snow and mud but the speedo is 10% slow.
  • Options
    pomocojohn1pomocojohn1 Member Posts: 2
    I will be ordering a truck here soon. It will be a 2500 reg. cab 4x4 8.0L. I want to know all of the changes for 2000. I'm a Chry/Plym salesman and we have the Y2K info. If it is going to change to something I don't like, I need to buy soon. Also check out the next page of the town hall truck area, there is a topic called 2000 Dodge Ram- You might want to go in there.

John McCauley
  • Options
    ggosselinggosselin Member Posts: 22
    Why are the A-727 transmissions a P.O.S. on most Dodge/Chrysler vehicles?

Just Curious.
  • Options
    bubbbubb Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at buying a '99 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x45 w/ the 5.9 and automatic transmission. I've been reading postings about problems with Ram relieability. Consumers Reports shows problems with 94 thru 97 Rams, but an improvement in 98. Can anyone out there tell me about there experiences with there Ram's. Are they as reliable as Chevy or Ford, or more problems? Any comments would be very appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    mkymousemkymouse Member Posts: 4
    i was wondering what effect would I cut the converter off my 96 dodge truck ? I am wanting to run straight dual exhaust from my manifolds back and was wondering what kinda problems I might encure ? I.E. bad gas milage , truck wont run correctly .things such as this have I heard and was wondering if there is someone out there whom has cut off their converter and what "side effects " have they had with it ? any information will be helpful !! thanks alot
  • Options
    discopuckdiscopuck Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if Dodge has any plans to make a 4-door crew cab 4x4 w/ diesel?
  • Options
    Hi all!!!!
    I've been away too long and haven't been answering any questions,let's see I'll try to get a couple while I'm here, somebody asked about the advertising charges that "the dealer insisted on charging them for", there are 2 advertising costs, 1 is by zone, and the other is by region, and they are included in the invoice price of every Chrysler car and truck on the market, therefore if the dealer charges you $300 over invoice you WILL be paying for these items, that is something the factory charges the dealer for and everyone pays it, there is no way around it.....let's see, solar yellow sport quad cabs, I think the main reason for the rarity of these trucks is the fact that the factory had a restriction on ALL sport trucks this year and there weren't many of any color, from what I understand its because of the supply problem with the new front fascia and bumper........Crew cab trucks????? The rumor I hear is that the quad cabs are "SUPPOSED" to grow approx 5 more inches for the 2000 model year, don't hold me to that cuz you know how rumors are.........as for all of you having service issues I dont know what to tell you, the person who was complaining about having to wait 8 days to get their vehicle in, are you serious???? you really dont expect that just because YOUR vehicle has a problem you can just drive in and they'll take you in front of everyone else do you???? How often can you call a DR. and just get in right now???? well its about the same for the service dept's, they have a lot of angry people coming in wanting theyre cars and trucks fixed right now, well.... they can't accomodate everyone right here and now, be patient they will take care of you......
    I've been gone too long to try and answer everybodys questions but I'll be here more often and welcome ALL your questions...........T REX
  • Options
    pal5pal5 Member Posts: 2
    Why don't the manufacturers publish mileage figures on trucks over 8,000 gvwr and how can I get figures on the Cummins Diesel ?
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    the EPA establishes the light duty/medium duty emissions cut-off as 8500/8501 pounds GVWR. Because the heavier trucks are permitted a different level of emissions, they don't undergo the same testing the EPA performss on light duty vehicles. That light-duty emissions test creates the EPA fuel economy rating as a byproduct.
  • Options
    telgenh2telgenh2 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the prices (invoice/MSRP) for the 2000 Dakota club cabs will be out? I want to order one, but I would like to know what it costs before I do that?
This discussion has been closed.