Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Cabrio

cabrioglxcabrioglx Posts: 4
edited January 7 in Volkswagen
Hello,

I'm starting a new discussion group because the old one seems to have disappeared. Anyhow, i wanted to thank the person who suggested checking the groundwire (why wasn't this already grounded?) for the CD changer. That did the trick. My next question is where do you mount the changer? I don't see an obvious spot. Anyone have pics?
Also, I heard on the news lately (California), that the police will start cracking down on drivers without a front license plate. But, when i got the car, it only came with one license plate. And there is no predefined area on the front bumper of the car for the plate. Are we suppose to drill holes ourselves? Or will the dealer take care of this for free? And there were no extra screws included with the black plastic mounting plate. Pics would be appreciated.
I really hate to ruin the look of the car by mounting a plate, but i would rather not be ticketted for it either.

TIA

Comments

• rampinojrampinoj Posts: 5
    Tia,
    In my home state of Massachusetts, we have had the 2 plate requirement for some time now. The police will invoke the law at their discretion. I never took it seriously until I got stopped in my old Maxima and was informed that I needed to display both plates. It really killed me to destroy the clean appearance of the front end, but in the end I complied. The Maxima had the mounting threads just below the plastic skin of the bumper. All I had to do is punch through and bolt on the plate.

The Cabrio front plate installation is not as neat. There does not seem to be any secure mounting hardware on, or under the bumper. The dealer who installed my front plate used self-tapping screws and made a real mess of it by drilling several holes before he finally got it right. Luckily the extra holes are now hidden by the plate. I think as far as Volkswagen. is concerned, we're on our own when it comes to front plate mounting.

Thanks for starting a new discussion group. Hopefully the folks from the old "attn VW Cabrio" group will find us.

Joe
  • dotanukidotanuki Posts: 3
    Tia,

I'm glad to hear that the groundwire worked for you. Happy I could help.

As far as mounting the changer, I mounted my wife's on the shelf where the first aid kit is supposed to go (driver side of trunk). I'm not sure if it was supposed to come with one, but her car is a GLS, and there wasn't a first aid kit. The Panasonic changer I bought had mounting brackets, but they wouldn't sit level on the uneven floor. I looked into VW brackets, but the dealers around us in PA wanted $80 and up for a couple of pieces of sheet metal. Plus, I really don't like the fact that when VW mounts it for you, it sits in usable space on the floor. I ended up using industrial strength velcro to mount the changer. It holds perfectly, and can be removed with a scraper and some Goo Gone, although you can really see the velcro when you look in the trunk. Also, if I need to get behind that panel, I can simply move the changer and put it back when I'm done. You can get the velcro at Home Depot for less than $10.

The only drawback, especially since you've already mounted the groundwire, is that you will have to relocate the cable and adapter for the changer. It's not that difficult since it is held down by a couple of retaining clips, but you have to remount the groundwire, and secure the cable to the floor of the trunk. I used black Duct Tape to hold the cable in place. It's the easiest way to keep the cable from shifting. The adapter will either hang from the shelf, or you can secure it to the side of the shelf using duct tape or velcro.

Whew...sorry for the long post...

Anyway, if you or anyone else would like, I can take a couple of pictures of the setup and post a link to them on the board.

Let me know.

Tony
  • cabrioglxcabrioglx Posts: 4
    Joe,

Thanks for confirming what i thought about the license plate. Looks like i have more work ahead of me once i get my CD changer working properly. Still not sure why i wasn't given the 2nd plate when i got the car, if this is the law...
  • cabrioglxcabrioglx Posts: 4
    Tony,

The shelf for the first-aid kit was my first preferred location to mount the changer (btw my car did not come with a first-aid kit either).
    But, I didn't think the groundwire and adapter could reach all the way to the drivers side shelf.
    Currently, i have my changer installed in the little rear right passenger side in the little nook. Everything is working and the changer does not intrude on trunk space at all, but CD's skip more than it should(very annoying). I'm positive this is because i mounted the changer on its side, rather than one of the suggested positions. To get and idea what i mean; the changer has a top, bottom, front(where you insert discs), back, left side, right side. Positioning it on its left or right side, is the only way i could mount it without intruding on trunk space.
    But, i'll take another look and see if my cables will reach to the first-aid kit shelf instead.
    I definitely would appreciate pics. And i don't mind long informative posts at all =)

TIA
  • Hi Everyone! This is my first post, I have a 2001 V.W. Cabrio, GLS with the stock stereo without a CD changer. I would like to purchase a new CD changer but am wondering what brand works for the Cabrio? Alpine, Panasonic? Also, I've been told I need an adapter to connect the changer with the deck. Circuit City wants to charge $119, just for the adapter. Is this an accurate price? Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
  • lkuntzlkuntz Posts: 6
    Hi guys,

Glad I was able to reconnect with the group!

About the CD changer, my friend installed a Sony CD changer for me and all he needed was an antennae adapter and a wiring harness ($25 for both parts at Circuit City). This may be because I installed the whole stereo, so the deck and changer are both Sony. I've heard from previous posts in our other discussion group that the VW changer is quite expensive & it seems like people have problems with their radios going into safe mode if a non VW brand changer is used with the VW deck.

I have a Sony detachable face CD player sitting in a closet I would be willing to sell, but no changer. Contact me off the board if you're interested: laurie_kuntz@hotmail.com

About the front license plate, does the dealer have to drill the holes or can you just drill holes through the front yourself? I think I trust myself enough to do that . . . :) I just want to know if I could cause any serious problems by accidentally drilling into wires, etc. hidden behind the front bumper.

Thanks!

Laurie

97 green/black/tan

http://www.geocities.com/laurie_kuntz/windscreen.html

• halogenhalogen Posts: 20
    Greetings,
    Here is your opportunity to buy a guaranteed
    like-new, VW. original equipment, CD changer,magazine,cable,and mounting bracket
    for only $250 (postage paid).It is the exact
    model that is advertised in the VW catalog.
    (hardware also included)
    You won't be dissapointed !!!!

Cheryl
  • krisc23krisc23 Posts: 7
    I was wondering is anyone noticed wear on the leather seats...mine is wearing on the side of the drivers seat, and I can not figure out why. This is my first car with leather...so maybe I am not used to this. It has 7500 mile on it - 2001 GLX.

Everything else is going well it seems, knock on wood of course. Had a lot of the problems you all said - with the check engine light, etc. My passenger seat still rattles. The dealer ordered a part last month, and am waiting to hear from them.

I do love the car. It doesn't get the gas mileage I thought it would. I have the 5 speed. I also noticed it really hesitates when the A/C is on, but I guess this is common with cars. But you can't beat popping the top on a great day like today!

Another tip I have, I live near NYC, so I have driven through several times on our dirty Manahttan roads up here without my boot on. This caused my headliner to look disgusting. A local detail shop where I get my car washed has a hot steam cleaning system. They did my headliner, and it got off all of the dirt. I had tried before with a regular steam vac and it didn't touch it. I thought it was there for life. It looks brand new. If anyone else is having this issue you should look into this steam cleaning. It is not something like the big green cleaning machine, it just used extremely hot steam to remove dirt. It uses no chemicals. if anyone lives in tri-state area - it is at the Orange Car Wash in Orange, CT.

My lesson though was to use my boot, since I have the beige interior!!!!

Best,
    Kristen
  • perosaperosa Posts: 3
    Hello, I'm hoping somebody can tell me how to install the cargo net that came neatly rolled up in a baggie when I picked up my car. I seem to recall that this was discussed in the "old" boards, but I didn't have my Cabrio then!
    Thanks!
    Kim
    01/red/black/black
  • krisc23krisc23 Posts: 7
    My door handles are starting to peel as well. Can anyone tell me if you have had this problem, and what was the dealer resolve? Will they replace them? Mine is a 2001...had it since Feb this year, 7000 miles.
  • sgerlachsgerlach Posts: 17
    My 2000 cabrio had peeling door handles also. Dealer replaced it without any trouble. They seemed aware of the problem and had the part in stock. If you have any problem with the dealer, call the 800 number for VW (in your huge owner's manual) and one of their "advocates" will intercede with the dealer. They then open a file (give you a number) on your vehicle to track problems.

And even though I had the dealer install the cd changer, my radio goes into a safe mode on a semi-regulat basis. Dealer has replaced ignition, battery, and radio (on separate occasions). I'm on my third ignition switch and the car only has 19,000 miles on it. Each time the dealer assures me the problem has been solved. Then it happens again...they don't seem to have an answer. But I will take it in again before my warranty is up.
  • I have a 98 Cabrio with a tan vinyl top with 52,000 miles on it. The car is 2 1/2 years and 28,000 miles out of warranty. For the past 9 months I have noticed that the outer vinyl layer of the top has become sticky. If I washed it the stickiness would be back in 2-3 days. 4 weeks ago I noticed that the fabric was pulling away from the back window leaving holes for water to come in. Obviously it's time for a new top. I called VW customer support and they had me have a dealer service dept. evaluate the problem. The Heritage VW service manager (Owings Mills, Md) indicated it was premature wear due to no fault of the customer. VW customer support within 2 hours called to offer to cover the materials cost for a new top replacement. All I have to pay for is the installation cost ($450 rather than $1550). They are even upgrading the top to a fabric one.

I am very pleased with VW's willingness to provide this level of customer support even though the vehicle is long out of warranty. I never expected them to do anything. The dealer service dept has also been great in handling this. Kudos to VW for supporting us Cabrio owners!
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    This weekend I looked at a base model 5 speed cabrio, and a fully loaded GLX model. Sometimes I think that base (Even manual windows) is the way to go with a convertible. but then the leather in the GLX was quite nice. of course, they drove the same.

does the electric top and heated seats and power windows in the GLX give anyone cause for concern? it seems like the base model has less possible issues....but it also does not have the luxury. opinions here? is the base model a safer bet or no?

also - what are the "real world" MPG's for the Cabrio 5 speed? anyone have the automatic? is it slower than molasses? any generally cheap mods for the cabrio, performance wise?

thanks!
  • Hi all!

Just left a post in on the other Cabrio board but more of the old board seems to be posting here. So let me say HI!

Glad to find some of you again. Too bad our old board is MIA. I was on it from the very begining.

I've been in car he.. since we last chatted. I finally filed under the Califonia Lemon law again. First time they promised to fix my car and gave me a car payment.

This time, I want a new car. I figured since my car has 15K on it, let them give me a new one. That's another year out of this car. The headache has been unbelieveable, but i love this car, so I'll give it another shot. The latest issue is the seatbelt which has needed to be replaced 4 times. Does anyone else have seat belt issues?

I'll let you guys know what happens.

Kristin, my leather seats have worn a little also. It's the VW seats, look at other people's leather seats. I think it's that beige not the black. You might want to take it in. ]

Cheers,

Beth
  • Hello,

Beth, I've had problems with my rear seat belts not retracting. It's not a problem with the retraction mechanism, but somehow there's too much friction between the retractors in the back and where the belt comes out of the top of the seat. I never did figure out a fix for that since there's nothing obviously wrong. I haven't worried about it too much since I hardly ever have rear passengers. If anybody has any suggestions, though, it would be appreciated!

Justin, on our old board, I remember a few people saying their heated seats weren't real warm, so make sure you test them out to make sure they get as hot as you want them before you buy the GLX. Also, in my opinion, the power top is pretty useless since you still have to put the boot on, etc. It's not fully automatic and I'm sure it would be expensive to fix if something went wrong, so for me the manual top is just fine. It's very easy to put up/take down anyway. The power windows would be the only feature I could see being really advantageous. The heated seats are a nice luxury if they work well. In the case of the Cabrio, it might be a good idea to purchase an extended warranty b/c of lots of little things that crop up. One last answer to your question, my '97 Cabrio Highline 5 speed gets about 28-30 mpg (mostly freeway miles).

Laurie

http://www.geocities.com/laurie_kuntz/windscreen.html

• Justin, since the heated seats have come up, their best decribed as seat warmers. On a chilly day they keep you warm, but they do not have the intense heat that my father's lexis has. they are nice though.

Guys, had anybody actually had to go through with a lemon law case. It seems that VW is being difficult.

Cheers,

Beth
  • i have a 98 GLS w/ 49K miles, thus out of warranty. The car is in good shape and I've had it serviced regularly at my place of purchase.

A while back the convertible broke - my service manager tells me that the conv. pump as well as the pistons are gone and have to be replaced. I've complained to VW Service which refuse to cover more than 50% of the material cost and then comes about $400-500 for labor - my out of pocket expense lands at close to $900.

Is this reasonable? I'm very disappointed that such a major part would break after such short period of time.

/wiking
    washington, dc
  • i see that VW now has a 4 year 50k warranty!
  • i see that VW now has a 4 year 50k warranty!
  • I've heard that VW was going to the 4 year 50,000 mile warranty with the 2002 models. However, I also heard that the 10 year powertrain warranty was not included. Perhaps, the assumption is that most VW owners won't have their vehicles for more than 4 years??

I bought a 2000 VW cabrio....and I'm looking forward to purchasing an extended warranty that allows me to go back to my old mechanic. His service, knowledge and experience is better than the vw mechanics at my local dealership. According to an article we saw in a local newspapers, VW knows it lacks experienced mechanics and has plans to create a school for mechanics. I actually dread taking the car into the vw dealership....often one problem seems to lead to another. Lately, everytime I take the car in, I'm told that they have checked the problem and the car meets factory specifications. I guess with factory specifications, the car radio will go to safe mode, brakes will develop a squeal, oil filter might leak, etc. My vw dealership's service department is extremely busy....without an appointment, you may not get service. When I call up for an appointment, it may be 4-5 days later. I don't know if they are selling that many cars, the cars have a lot of mechanic problems, or the mechanics can't fix them and the cars keep coming back for service on the same problem (that happened a number of times with me). I have seen the dealership turn away a vw customer with an extended vw warranty - and told the owner she would have to make an appointment.
    Because I have a power top and after ten visits to the dealership in 23 months with problems, I definitely need an extended warranty....but not a vw warranty. It's too bad....I still love driving the car (when I don't have a problem). But I have been towed more with this car or required AAA to get me started in two years then I did with my Toyota 4Runner for 16 years.