Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Cabrio

Comments

• I have a 97 Cabrio, and occasionally when I start the car the Tachometer and Speedometer wont work. If you turn the car off and let it sit for a while most of the time it will start working again. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a way to fix it?
  • HI, yes, i had the same a few years after i got my 2001 Cabrio. The dealer had to replace the control panel! I have had no probs with the controls since, but in changing it, they have to start your mileage over (or mine did) and then they put a notice on the inside of the car door that the mileage was changed at at what mile point. It does make it look fishy when trying to sell it.
  • Hi, this is my first time posting. i just bought a 99 carbrio GLS with 96,000 miles and it didnt come with an owners manual. I was wondering how you put down the back seats and if i can install a keyless entry system. also the automatic roof is broken so i have to do it my self... any thing else you can tell me about the 99 cabrio gls i would love to know
    thanks
    clo
  • I decided to buy this car 3 weeks ago and glad that I bought warranty ( 5 yr/100000 miles). The power door locks stopped working and VW dealer fixed it for $ 540.00 ( $340.00 vacuum + $200.00 labor ). Thanks to this forum, I learned here how expensive to maintain this car so that made me decide to buy extended warranty.

;)
  • I just recently bought a 98 VW Cabrio. My daughter has had hers for 5 years and loves it. She has over 175k miles on it and it is still going strong. I love the convertable top. I traded a 98 Jeep Wrangler Sport for it straight across - the dealer got the better end of that trade. But I get 27mpg around town (last fillup) so immediately I am saving money. (Main purpose for the trade).
    It rained heavily night before last - knock on wood no leaks. But this morning after 22 deg temps I opened the drivers side door (it did open) got in and started the car to warm it. When I tried to get out the inside door handles pulled like they were still locked (no resistance) and they would not open the doors. Rolled the window down and tried the outside handle - no go. Climbed out the window and back in when I had to go to work. When I got to work the doors opened fine. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thanks,
    Kelly
  • I have a message "2 safe" on the radio and I can not input my
    code. What do I do to reset my radio?
  • I think you push and hold the seek button and then use the arrows to set your 4 digit code.
  • WRONG CODE NUMBER

If you've accidentally entered wrong code number "SAFE" will appear on the disply. Initially it'll flash, then stay on. You can repeat the procedure again ONE TIME. The number of attempts will appear in the disply.

If the wrong code number is entered again, the unit will be displayed for about 1 hour. LEAVE THE UNIT ON AND THE KEY IN THE IGNITION SWITCH FOR THIS HOUR. After the hour has elapsed, the number of attempts will stop being displyed and you can cancel the electronic lock once again. Remember, the cycle is ......

- 2 attempts
    - one hour locked.

(from 2001 Volkswagen Sound System)

booklet 3.4
  • My girlfriend has a 99 cabrio. I took it to the carwash the other day and somehow one of the black inserts thats on the lower part of the front bumper/valence is missing from the passenger side. I've looked for a replacement on many websites but don't know what the part is called so it's difficult and frustrating. Does anyone know what the part is called and where I can find one?
  • I have a 99 cabrio with a stuck or frozen brake. Last nights temp was around 15 deg. and the parking brake won't fully release. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks for you help.
  • I haven't had this particular problem on my Cabrio or my daughter's Cabrio......but the emergency brake is usually a cable linkage that gets pulled tight when you lift the handle inside the car....Ys off towards the back and pulls two mechanisms on either rear wheel that tightens up the brake shoes inside the rear drums. WD40 works wonders in two ways. If it did freeze up, that means there is water back there in the line WD40 disperses water. Second WD40 is a lubricant.....spray the two mechanisms on the rear wheels (these should be under the car in back of the tires and also spray as much of the exposed cable as you can, even up to the handle linkage.
    Kelly
  • I recently just got a 1996 cabrio off ebay. It didn't come with an owner manual. Is there somewhere I can download one from? I haven't been able to find one at all. The only manuals i found were like 40 dollars, is it worth the money to buy? Or are they somewhere else cheaper? Thanks!

- Larissa :confuse:
  • Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours? Mine is doing the same thing, 2002 cabrio GLX....thx
  • fookyufookyu Posts: 1
    Im havin the same exact problem with my 01 cabrio, so did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours
  • I have had my Cabrio for three years and have begun to experience problems when adding fuel. The gas station pump shuts off at about half full and then I have to manually add the rest of the gas. This has happened at a number of gas stations. Does anyone know why this is happening?
  • I have the same thing, and the CD changer plays/broadcasts on radio station 89.7.
  • Are Cabrios really not worth the money? Do they really have lots of problems? How can one tell if it's a "good" engine? Even after my VW dealer telling me the dealership won't touch them because they're trouble ... I want one, go figure! Can anyone give me some guidance? Is a Jetta a better investment? Thanks!
  • I paid 6500.00 on mine last November 2007. I added a full coverage warranty for 1200.00 (used once for 550.00 on power windows). So far it's been great, very reliable specially on the cold days. It doesn't matter what car do you buy, if it is a used car you don't know what's gonna fail so i highly advise you to get extended warranty ( full coverage ) to cover yourself from expensive repair.
  • sarakisaraki Posts: 6
    Why would you want a car that many people say has tons of problems, including the dealer! Are you a glutton for punishment? My 01 Cabrio was nothing but trouble since day one! I finally unloaded it in December! Get yourself a Toyota or similar. I just bought a Scion and I love it! It was a sunroof, so I dont miss the convertible much. Go to consumer reports and do your homework.
  • craffieldcraffield Posts: 13
    I have owned both. Had a 89 Jetta got it second-hand. Drove the car 237,000 miles with minimal problems. Biggest problem was the floor board rot. My daughter has a 98 cabrio as I do now. Traded my Jeep Wrangler for it - straight trade. Did it because it was costing me 50 bucks to put half a tank of gas in it. Now 25.00 does the cabrio and I get 30 mpg. My daughter has had hers longer. She has but on 189,000 miles and the car still runs good. The biggest problem with hers was the check engine light. A local repair shop kept telling me it was the gas cap. Finally took it to a VW dealer and they found that a pump was the problem. Mine has 90,000 on it and runs good. Knock on wood, no problems yet.
    It is a great convertable. Just unlatch and put the top down. The jeep top was a nightmare.