Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-007D

Date: May 01, 2009

Subject: Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface)

Models:
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
    2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
    2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2003-2006 Chevrolet Express
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
    1999-2006 GMC Sierra
    2001-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
    2003-2006 GMC Savana
    2007 GMC Sierra Classic
    2003-2006 HUMMER H2
    Supercede:This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 Silverado/Sierra Classic models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-05-25-007C (Section 05 - Brakes).
    Condition

Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction

Measure AC voltage and clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
    2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor connectors at the frame and harness.
    3. Place a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) across the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector.
    4. Rotate the wheel clockwise approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. If the reading is less than 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel speed sensor. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
    5. Plug the wheel speed sensor bore in order to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.
    6. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, scotch brite, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion.
    7. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor.
    8. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (in Canada, P/N 89022218).
    9. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (in Canada, P/N 993037).
    10. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
    11. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.
  • bfanbfan Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 ext and experience this activation upon acceleration under 18kph. I shut down the traction control or take foot off accelerator then re accelerate after noise and vibration stops. I've had 1 speed control sensor replaced but dealership can't find fault codes. Do all dealerships have access to this bulletin 03-05-25-007D? I've paid too much so far to take it in for another no fault found diagnosis.
  • Yes they all have access to TSB information.
  • Bfan,

If Customer Assistance can be of any service to you as you seek to have your vehicle concern resolved, please contact us via email with your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your vehicle’s VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I am having this same issue with my 05 Escalade, no warm air from the rear vents, but fully functional controls and normal function in the front system.

What is the auxillary control module, where is it and how do I recalibrate the system?

Thanks
  • I have to deactivate traction control every time I start the truck otherwise it activates every time I accelerate from a complete stop. Any answers?
  • I also had a problem with the brakes on my 2002 Escalade. The front speed sensors get corroded by the salt that is put on the roads to melt the snow. They need to be taken out and cleaned or replaced with new ones. There is a recall, but for some reason the '02 Escalade is not on it, so you will have to pay for it yourself. I tried to argue the point with my local Cadillac dealer, but to no avail! You can print out the recall notice from the internet and it will explain it in more detail. Although, the grinding is not a symtom of this problem, so this might be something else. Grinding usually happens when your pads or shoes are worn down and you're metal to metal with the drums or rotors. Hope this helps!
  • I have followed the posts and threads on the undercarriage rust issue with GM. I own 2 Cadillac escalades. I purchased Escalade brand new in 2007 and another purchased in 2008 which I traded my 2002(also bought brand new) in for the brand new 2008. Within a year the brake rotor rusted completely and peeled and warranty replaced. Again, within a year another set of rotors or rotors and brakes rusted out, now on third set of rotors were replaced, again under warranty as dealer said GM has had rotor issues. Each time escalade was taken to the dealer for all work. Now, for a year we have had a nightmare with undercarriage rust. Entire frame is rusted, ignition coils rusted out and were replaced, both manifolds and heat shields rusted so bad the bolts busted when they tried to replace them. The lines have rusted out, all replaced under warranty but now with 29,000 miles on this escalade the warranty ran out in November. I am fighting with GM, and due to go to court in January. Has anyone gone thru the court process and can weigh in what the result was? With only 29000 miles the vehicle is unsafe to drive. An expert looked at it and said it is the worst case of rusted undercarriage he has ever seen. I know this is a metallurgical issue with the 2008 frames as my 2002 and 2007 with 73000 miles has no rust. The 2008 frame, undercarriage, hinges, even the brackets under the hood are rusted and bubbling. I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra that has been in and out of strip jobs, off road in mine pits, sits next to the escalade in the driveway each night and not a bit of rush anywhere and it has 196000 miles. I am contacting the NHTSA and filing a complaint and holding my breath for what the outcome will be in court as the GM experts will testify that there are no rust history with GM undercarriages. The Sierra 1500 posts are living proof that there is a metallurgical problem and GM should step in and do a recall. I have photos that tell the whole truth. Wife doesn’t even drive it when the roads are bad, wont go on ice and minimal salt came in contact and it was always thoroughly washed. There must be an issue with the 2008 escalade frames and undercarriage. any thoughts? Heard GM offers no warranty on undercariage rust, Is That True?
  • I know this was a while ago that you posted this but by chance did you find anything out about your situation? Just yesterday my 2002 will go forward but not into reverse. I had someone say that it was the band for reverse within the tranny..wondering if you had any solutions given to you?
  • My 2002 will go forward but all of sudden with no issues will not go into reverse? Has anyone had this happen and if so did you find a solution?
  • Definetly get it checked out before you purchase a model. When it comes to the 2002 cadillac escalade seriously don't waist your time to many issues...possibly not at first when you buy it..but eventually you will be better off NOT buying a cadillac escalade!
  • I need help, we just got this 03 escalade (with suposely 109.000 miles on it), 2 and half hours away from home, got on the road.. about a hour and half in the road... check control center light came on , the low oil pressure came on shortly after,........ we got off the high way, trying to find a gas station.... the car had smoking coming out of the distribuitor and died, we turn on again and a lot of smoke came out of the distribuitor. We got to the gas station, my husband put 2 quarts of motor oil in it, we think that the previous owner just didnt change the oil or maintain the car at all... it appeared that no oil was in it, we made another hour on the high way, the warnings on the dash ware there still. Getting off of the high way, at the stop light... the smoke came on again off the distribuitor, the car died again, we turn on ... same thing happend all over again, well , we made it home. Now we are worried about what could be wrong with it, we dont want to go around spending money and have this to keep happening. I was thinking about having it fully tuned up (by our mechanic that comes to our house)... then taking it to a shop to be put on a computer.
    I would love to hear your advice on this. Thank you in advance.

(sorry any miss spelling, I am from Brasil)
  • hi, i want to add that the dam [non-permissible content removed] guy... put a small battery in there, it needs a bigger one. thanks
  • I need help, we just got this 03 escalade (with suposely 109.000 miles on it), 2 and half hours away from home, got on the road.. about a hour and half in the road... check control center light came on , the low oil pressure came on shortly after,........ we got off the high way, trying to find a gas station.... the car had smoking coming out of the distribuitor and died, we turn on again and a lot of smoke came out of the distribuitor. We got to the gas station, my husband put 2 quarts of motor oil in it, we think that the previous owner just didnt change the oil or maintain the car at all... it appeared that no oil was in it, we made another hour on the high way, the warnings on the dash ware there still. Getting off of the high way, at the stop light... the smoke came on again off the distribuitor, the car died again, we turn on ... same thing happend all over again, well , we made it home. Now we are worried about what could be wrong with it, we dont want to go around spending money and have this to keep happening. I was thinking about having it fully tuned up (by our mechanic that comes to our house)... then taking it to a shop to be put on a computer.
    I would love to hear your advice on this. Thank you in advance.
  • isaac9isaac9 Posts: 2
    I know that this may have been a while, but I was wondering what happened in your chase, cause I'm having a similar issue where I'm hitting the gas, and the car does not move, and I tried all shifts. I also have a 2006 Escalade. Love that car, but I'm not feeling too good about it right now. Someone said it is the Tranny, someone else said it may be the Gear Shift Linkage. So not sure what to do. Can you please tell me how yours turned out?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning isaac9,
    I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're having with your Escalade. Are you planning on getting this looked into? We're happy to look into this further with you if you like.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • isaac9isaac9 Posts: 2
    Yes, I did have it looked at by one Transmission shop, and they said it was the transmission, but I do not trust mechanics, so I do want a second opinion. How can you assist me without me having to sell my soul?...lol
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    isaac9,

The following is our process:
    We would set up a Service Request through our department (would need your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership). If the transmissions shop you visited was not one of our dealerships, we would have you set up a diagnostic appointment with your preferred dealer (would involve a diagnostic fee) for them to look into the vehicle and determine the source of the transmission concern you're having. From that point, we would look at what it would take to repair the vehicle and we would consider any available options. I can't promise up front what the end result of the case will be, but our priority is to resolve any concern that you're experiencing and have you leave satisfied with your vehicle.

If this sounds like something you are interested in pursuing, please send the request information to socialmedia@gm.com and we will go from there.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dms1815dms1815 Posts: 2
    I realize your message in nearly 3 years old but what did you ever find out about the service stability system issue? I too have the rub, rub feel and my service stability light randomly comes on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • dms1815dms1815 Posts: 2
    I realize your post is a few years old. Hopefully you've gotten rid of your Escalade. I'm sure ready to get rid of mine! I'm having the same problems with the brakes locking up and the growling/grinding noise. What did you find out about those issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.