Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Escalade Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rkzjrrkzjr Posts: 4
    I have an '04 Escalade which is 3 months old and has over 9,000 miles and counting. I'm happy with the overall performance of the vehicle and the creature features inside. I am however not happy with the clunking of the transmission between 1st and 2nd gears, and the hard downshifts. I'm headed back to my dealership for some relief. I guess I was spoiled by the seamless shifts of the 300HP DTS sedans I drove in the past.
    I'm experiencing an intermittant problem with my AWD transmission in City traffic... After sitting at an extended red light, the light turns green and I step on the accelerator to proceed, but the vehicle acts like somebody slipped it into neutral...Step on the accelerator a second time and the trans takes a hard hit on 1st gear and moves forward. The fluiids are at the factory recommended levels. There are no warning lights or messages to flag the cause of the problem and it cannot be duplicated by dealership personnel. It will happen when the transmission is cold, warmed up or hot without warning.
  • I just got my 2004 EXT AWD 9 days ago and noticed it a couple of times already, but I feel it minor and a characteristic of an automatic transmission with alot of torque.
  • Hi David I also experienced the same problem with my truck.I took it to the dealer and they fixed the problem. It had to do with re programing the computer. They said that they received a memo from GM stating how to correct the problem. Now I have a problem when the truck is coasting and I step on the gas, it clunk.
  • I have a engine knocking noise. I don't know if it is coming from the transmission. One of the cadillac mechanics said that it is a low end knock, which may be a bearing. Another mechanic said it maybe the flex plate that is cracked. Suggestions on what it may be. My car has 102k miles, and of coarse this noise started after the warranty expired at 70k.
  • HAVE THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM? THEY HAVE A NEW PROGRAM FOR THOSE TYPES OF TRANSMISSIONS. RORDAJ@AOL.COM
  • I just purchased a 00 Escalade and found it to "slam" from 1st to 2nd gear upon slow acceleration! I have seen several TSB's regarding this problem. How is it fixed?

Thanks!
  • I bought a used Cadillac Escalade. It has been in the shop 4 times for the same thing ... everything dies on it. We thought it was the battery ... so we bought a new one. It has happened 3 times since and is currently in the shop again. Dealer says he thinks that this was a year that this model was recalled for a battery draw down problem. Does anyone know anything about this or has had that problem? If so ... what did you do to fix it?
    My 2004 AWD Escalade is now six months old, has just over 18,000 miles and has a new set of electronic issues related to the memory package in the vehicle.

Intermittantly on start up, the mirrors and driver seat reset to factory presets, not those programmed by the driver. What's even more bizarre is that driver's rear door window acts like you've activated the express down feature (not a factory installed feature on Escalades)According to dealership personnel, the memory chip located under the driver's seat, has a programming error which GM Engineers are working to correct. Until a solution is found, you just have to live with it and laugh!
  • epmomepmom Posts: 7
    I'm looking to purchase a new truck in the near future. Does anyone own 05? would like to know if the transmission clunking has been fixed before I buy
  • hi every one

when the car is still cold and slowley driving i hear like kick sound when the transmmission change from 1st gear to the 2nd , when the car temp come over the kick not come again ... is any one have idea about this .... thanks
    Temporary Fix to #43 below

According to Cadillac, GM engineers are looking for a programming patch to correct the problem. I'll probably be on my next Caddy by then, however, we have found a temporary fix to the gremlin power window... place your foot firmly on the brake, release the parking brake and start the vehicle. There's some electronic link between the active parking brake and the memory issue... problem solved, if only temporarily.

If you have a Denali with the same issues, the same fix will probably work for you too!
  • I have an 03 Escalade with the same hard shift sound from 2nd to 1st. The dealership tried to reprogram then came back and said that GM claims that its within their design specs. That is the usual catch-all response. GM knows that the hard shift will not take its toll on the transmition until after the warranty period is up so its not their problem.

If someone can prove that it is a defective design, the issue can be forced. Aside from that, manufacturers will continue to use that same excuse.
  • Hi there, I love my ride, but every now and then when I go to start it it turns over but wont start. It only did it 5 times since Ive had it ( 5 months) Iam dumb founded as to why it does that. I have to wait from 5min -- 10min's then it starts right up like nothing was wrong. WEIRD!!! And One more--When I drive it, like on the highway it feels like Iam hydroplaining all the time. Scares the poop out of me, to where I wont pass semi's. Please HELP.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Impressive...... Something has to be wrong with your tires. could they be overinflated? Have you checked the tire pressure in them lately? Should have about 35psi in them if they are standard size.....
  • acomsacoms Posts: 1
    My 99 Escalade is having the same problem. But before I had the problem of it cutting off, my alarm kept going off on it's own, my doors wouldn't lock when driving but all I got was a ding, ding, ding, and my dome lights wouldn't go off unless I used the override switch. Don't know what the problem is, but I have been doing research on it. The best I've found is that Cadillac has a program bug, which they are trying to get a patch for. Will try to find out more.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S. Have also noticed that some people with 00 are having the same problems.
  • bobierbobier Posts: 1
    I've had my EXT for two weeks now. What a bargain this truck is. Far more ammenities than any other car or truck in this price range. I have a question about the DVD for the nav system though. Who makes the system and where can I buy DVDs for other countries?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A tv reporter is hoping to talk with someone who wants to purchase a Cadillac. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info by May 31, 2005.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • neptune36neptune36 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 EXT, never off road never used a trailer with it. $11,000 miles and has been in shop three times for front end thumping noise while turning. Seems to get worse the hotter the weather. Had the dealer last time re torque, lube etc, and out of the partking lot it thumped on the first turn. They said something about a problem with the body mounts to frame, and GM has set up a case # for me, but Dealer said this is all they can do. I don't know if it will get worse if I drive off road (Afterall it is a 4WD) or even worse pull a trailer. If the body is loose on the frame will stabiltiy be a problem? I will call the 800# and see what the case # can do for me. I am not thrilled with my first Caddy. Anyone else still having this problem?
  • corlt1corlt1 Posts: 29
    I have a 92 Vette that has the 4L60 (which is the same basic transmission used in the Escalade) transmission that had the same klunk between 1st and second gear. Due to a problem with the original tranny, the GM had the dealership install a new tranny back in 1996. Although the new tranny shifted as smooth as my Eldorado, their is still an ocasional klunk in the 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 shift. This is an inherent problem with the 4L60, 4L60E and 4L65 transmissions. The new 2007 Escalade has a new transmission with 6 speeds called the 6L80E and hopefully the klunk will be eliminated.
  • What could be wrong with my trasmission. I have a 2002 6.0 L, AWD Cadillac Escalade. I put my truck into reverse and pressed the gas. I heard the wheels squeal and then a loud Clank, as if something broke. Now my truck will not go into reverse. I mean that it will not move backwards in reverse. It still drives (D) forward but nothing in reverse. What could possibly have broken. Will I need a total new trasmission or some repairs to this one. I know a new transmission will be upwards of $1300-1400 dollars..right?? Any suggestions??
  • I drove my 2003 Escalade home one night. The next day I tryed to start it and it would not engage the starter. I charged the battery but that was not the problem. Everything seems to work when I put the key in but when I turn to start it does nothing. It seems that it is not sending juice to the starter. Any sugguestions? Is there a fuse I should look at? Help. Jeff
  • jjyoojjyoo Posts: 1
    Hi! Just started reading the messages on this forum regarding Escalades because of the many problems I've been having with mine. I've got an '05 Escalade with the same clunking noise from 1st to 2nd & then back from 2nd to 1st gears. I took it to the dealership & got the same catch-all response, "it's normal noise that is characteristic in escalades." My driver side mirror is extremely blurry when the night time glare reducing feature is working. They said they replaced the mirror twice but I still have the same problem. Their temporary fix was to place a piece of black electrica tape over the sensor so that the feature would not be activated by the headlights behind me. Now that's Cadillac quality!!

I've got 8500 miles on my Escalade and have taken it in for service 9 times! It always takes 3 trips for them to address a problem. And with the exception of a power steering noise, they would keep my vehicle on the average of 7 days or more only to tell me that the problem is normal and that they don't have a fix for it.

Now I've got a high pitch whining/whistling noise that is noticable at around 700 rpm. The service manager and techs were able to reproduce the sound and they all said, "hmmmm. that's odd!" Then after keeping my car for a total of 18 days or so, they tell me that the noise is "normal and characteristic of Escalades". When I asked him to pull out the Escalade they had in their show room to show me that it's normal, they played a song and dance and wouldn't do it.

I've had 4 Chevys in my life and loved them. I cannot beleive that this luxury manufacturer is so incredibly horrible to their customers. I'm currently trying to have the dealership do a straight swap of my Escalade with a new one or just hire a lemon law attorney. Don't know yet.

I think we should just launch a class action lawsuit against Cadillac.

Good luck with yours.

janet
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Man you gotta love their logic--it took them over two weeks to finally tell you that "it's normal"? If something is "normal and characteristic", then that kinda implies that they've experienced that situation before...in which case, why would it take them that long to realize that the issue at hand is "normal"?

Typical GM service department BS explanation...not so much that they tell you that something is "normal", but that it takes them so long to make that determination. :mad:
  • dapper1dapper1 Posts: 1
    i also have the same problem only it happens to me almost once a month my doors lock and my windows go down but the vehicle will not start we had on star run a test they found nothing wrong it has been to the garage several times and the battery has been replaced. our stablelizer bar light comes on sometimes. this is driving us crazy
  • I was driving my 2003 ext and let off the gas because a car pulled in front of me. When I pushed back on the gas, the truck kicked into the passing gear. I stopped at a store and then realized the truck was not shifting into third. I watched the transmission temp. and it never got near hot. Then when I was close to my house, it felt like I was in neutral and the vehicle started slowing down. I pulled over and now all gears are like I am in neutral. No reverse, low, drive...anything. There have been no prior problems. I check the fluid and it is full. Does not spell burned. Anyone have any ideas??
  • gap2006gap2006 Posts: 20
    Apparently transmission clunks in low gear are pretty common in Escalades. I was just on another site where they mentioned a service bulletin that all Caddy Service Centers should have discussing it. Some of the posts said they could adjust the software if they know what they are doing. Another post said the transmission sometimes does not downshift all the way into 1st at a red light and the clunk is it downshifting when you step on the gas. He said he brakes completely then lets the car roll forward a little and it solved his problem.

I have been getting some of the same in a new '07 plus the transmission feels like it vibrates a little so I may be taking it back in for a dealer check myself.
  • auto007auto007 Posts: 5
    I brought my new Escalade into the shop for the following:

1) Driver's side mirror vibrates. They said they tightened it. However, I can still see it vibrate (mirror). I've read somewhere that a fix exists and I assume my dealer has no clue. Is this a service bulletin? If so, can someone lead me to it so I can lead my dealer?

2) I was constantly getting flashed by other cars thinking my brights were on. My dealer adjusted the lights and now the light focual point is way off. The right side beam is much longer then the left side and it is very distracting. Looks like 1/2 an arc of beam. What are the guidelines and process for them to adjust correctly?

3) Anyone get vibration in wheel at high speeds, what causes this? Supposely they just did an alignment.

P.S. Anyone know where I can get a bug net to fit the front? What about cost effective headseat video monitors for 2nd row?

Thanks
  • gap2006gap2006 Posts: 20
    I read a few posts on the mirror issue. I read that the fix is a piece of foam installed somewhere and it's a known issue. You could try a search on the forum or maybe try reaching the regional manager for Cadillac if all else fails.

I have not noticed vibration with my 22's. What size wheel do you have. And what speed are we talking about? 60 or 100? I'll try it and see what happens.

You might try ebay for the bug net and videos. I picked up a new Escalade cargo mat on there plus a nice set of Escalade mud flaps.

Good luck. It's a great SUV. I'm sure you will be able to work the bugs out.
  • matlincamatlinca Posts: 5
    hello, i work on cadillac's,, i have worked on 15 o7 escalades includeing my own with this problem. my own escalede has this problem but is 5 times worse because i have 28" rims on mine. the problem is simple = the rims. The 22 inch rims make the ride of the escalede bumpy the bumps are absorebed by the frame and the shocks so you cannot feel them. when the frame vibrates it moves back and forth causeing the mirrors to vibrate evan to the extent so you cannot see out of your mirrors. this is commen on cars or trucks or suv's with rims over 20" but not this baddd :mad: i actually had one guy come in because his drivers side mirror fell off, exposeing the wires. cadillac respods with " we have reviewd the vehicle several times and found no such problem , all mirror's work and function properly and are secured properly" truely i think that is a buch of bs. i ahve complained many times but they refuse to respond to my problem. if i come up with a way to stop this or get a good response i will let you all kno. thanks

matt