Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra GSR Customizing and Modifying

Comments

• only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    I don't like the looks of the M Coupe but you never know if the price is right :-)
    Another reason I 'm considering a used S2000 is that it has been an SCCA class winner for the last 2-3yrs (A Stock). This is a huge achievement for Honda because the S2000s go up against dozens of Porsche Boxters in the same class every year at the SCCA National Championships. Some of these Boxter drivers were ex-National champs themselves before the S2K came out or National caliber drivers. The idea of owning a $20-25K used Honda that can beat $50K Boxters really appeals to me :-)
  • xiuxuxiuxu Posts: 6
    Hi,all,
    I just bought an acura integra LS,1998.
    the milage is 105,000, but the timing
    belt hasn't yet been replaced.
    The inspector of a car repair told me
    that it's really expensive to repair
    the cylinder if the timing belt isn't
    replaced,and the price of replacing
    the timing belt is about $450. I don't
    know whether I should replace it right
    now or I can drive a little more.
    Do you have any advice?
    thanks a lot.
    xiuxu
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    What's peace of mind worth to you? To wit: I sold my '89 Prelude to a guy at 93K miles, having never changed the timing belt, of which I informed the new owner.

Three weeks later, he called to inform me that the belt had broken, causing the valves to impact and bend to the tune of $2100.

Having owned more than a few Honda/Acura cars since this episode, I've been fairly religious about swapping the belt every 90K, and have had no problems.

I'd get it done sooner rather than later.
  • deryckfmderyckfm Posts: 29
    Weather has started to improve in Chicago. Got a chance to spend more time on the GS-R again to unhibernate it. Last couple of outings required a 3rd passenger in the backseat (happens sometimes). Was wondering if an '03 Accord Coupe, 6mt, 6cyl, 3.0 should be considered as a viable option for swapping the GS-R with. Having heated seats and navigation sys would be nice but are not that important enough to do a trade.

I am aware that these are 2 different cars, but just wanted to see what other's had to say about giving up a 2000 GS-R (8k miles) for a 2003 Accord EX Coupe. Thanks in advance.
  • xiuxuxiuxu Posts: 6
    Thanks to himiler.
    it seems that I'd better replace the timing
    belt right now.It sounds terrible.
    xiuxu
  • vegoenvegoen Posts: 82
    Hey, guys which integra trim is best value for performance? LS GS GS-R or Type R?

Any advice on buying a used integra?
    the GSR. Type-Rs are not that easy to find and you 'll pay a few thousand $$ more than GSR for one. LS/GS are not that much less than GSRs and you get 30hp less. A used Type-R will range from $14-21K depending on the year. Most Type-Rs sell for $16-19K depending on mileage. For $11-14K you can find good deals on GSRs with relatively low miles so I would say the GSR is the best value for performance, but if you plan on racing the car (autocross, roadracing/track) the Type-R is the car to get because it's just a very different car than (a non-modified) a GSR. If you don't know what the differences are (besides 25hp) between the two let me know.
  • vegoenvegoen Posts: 82
    Hey thanks man, yea i know the difference specs wise, and I love v-tech engines. Although I dont like that integras have low torque they are fun to revv

Lots of consumer reports state that integras are unreliable and have lots of problems, my sister owns an LS and shes been having lots of problems with it.

So what car do you think I should go for? gs-r or related coupe type?
  • garadosgarados Posts: 321
    alright, let's take it easy. Nobody is a troll and himiler isn't 12 years old. He's given lots of useful info, so he knows some stuff.

Anyway, I've just gotten my skunk2 camberkit in, and it's a beauty. I can't wait to get my camber back, or close to, 0 degrees. I've had my kumho 712's on for about 1000 miles and I've already taken off about a quarter inch of tread on the inside 2 inches of the tread. Before raceday, though, I'll set the camber to -2 degrees or so. Is that a good idea? or should I just leave it alone?

vegoen, I agree with harry. The gsr is the best for the money. It has good performance, a wealth of aftermarket support, and it's a lot cheaper and more available than a type r. Also, the gsr and type r have vtec, not vtech. vtech is a phone manufacuter and vtec, well, you know what vtec is.

About the reliability of integras, there really isn't much of a problem with them. The only things that went bad on my car were my tanny and clutch, and that was my fault. I downshifted VERY poorly and destroyed the clutch, and in turn, destroyed the main shaft bearing. I replaced both, and the car is running very well. Oh, the water pump and timing belt should be replaced between 60-90000 miles. The integras don't have a tendency to break as long as you do the routine maintainence and don't do anything stupid like I did.
    The Integra's reliability (any flavor) is definitely above average. Himiler has put over 200k mi. on each of his Integras (thus his nickname) and the last Integra with much more than 200k mi. is still driven by his sister.
    Another friend of mine that has been racing his '00 GSR for over 2yrs, has had no problems wiht his. He has 150k hard driven miles on the car! He 's a nut and will drive hundreds of miles just to autocross race and goes around to all the clubs in 3-4 states. He 's even gone down to South & North Carolina from his home state New Jersey, so that's how he piles the miles on.

I believe my good "forum" friend Himiler was implying that you could be very young (compared to us) and inexperienced with cars, since you mispelled VTEC and called the Integra "unreliable" which is not. Those are usually signs of a teenager looking to buy his first car, who may not be of age to drive yet. We 've seen a few here on the board which doesn't mean anything, and I don't think Himiler meant anything by it. It just that I would probably address a 15yr old different than I would an 18+ yr old..
    Anyway, I think your question has been answered by both me & Garados (how 've you been buddy?), as far as which Integra offers the most performance for the least $$.
    And finally we are all car enthousiasts here and most of us have modifications done to our cars and belong to race clubs or Motorsports clubs.
    yes, since you have a camber kit you should set it to about 2.5 deg. camber. Do you have the kit installed all around? I have 2 deg. of camber already just because my car is lowered 1.75-2".

Just make sure you when you get the wheel alignment that you set the toe to 0 or very close to it, otherwise you 'll go through those tires very quickly. It's toe that kills your tires, not camber.
    I thought you were going for the Falken Azenis.. Oh well. If you decide to get really competitive, after your Kumho 712s are gone, get a set of Azenis. You 'll shave 3/4-1sec from your times! I know many drivers that have upgraded from the 712 to the Falkens and they say there's no comparison - immediate noticeable results.
    Talking about tread gone.. I 've only done 2 events with my V700s (R compound) and they look like they 've been through hell and back, because both events I did with this BMW club that designs relatively fast courses with many long sweepers (we often hit 60+mph), but the lot surface is so rough and chews up tires fast! Well plus I had to really push the tires to come in 1st both times too :-) Those 330s and Z3s are getting awefully close to me :) but for some reason I 'm blowing all the Type-Rs away so far this season. Probably because I lowered the car a little more and I 'm trying a different approach with the Konis.
    Was wondering if anyone has heard a weird sound coming from a GS-R's fuel pump after it gets used and parked? Weird sound almost sounds like pressing the horn while the battery is dying out (not as loud but in a fading out manner - hence the battery is dying out example). I traced it to a part (fuel pump?) underneath the car a little bit in front of the rear driver's side wheel. It is also covered up by a black plastic protector panel. Sound happens every 5 minutes or so. A slight vibration can also be felt while it is making a sound. Thanks in adavnce for your replies.
    as far as I know the fuel pump is located towards the front of the car and not the back. Usually a sound that comes from close to or in front of the rear wheels, is the exhaust slightly rattling or vibrating due to it being loose somewhere. Of course this could be something entirely different. Your GSR is only a '00 model so I would think it's under warranty unless you have more than 50k mi. Can you take it to the dealer and then let us all know what it was?
    I've been good. How've you been? I haven't posted much on this board, just because you or casey would answer the questions so thoroughly before I could =P

I have the kit installed on the fronts only. The rear camber is adjustable by replacing a bolt and adding/removing washers. Oh, it could just be me, but since the fronts have very little camber or toe, the car handles better than before... I don't know what the deal is, but I can take turns faster and it's easier to keep the car stable during the turn. I don't know what the deal is.

About your events, 60+ mph? with a rough surface? what a bad combination x_X especially for r-compounds. Did you get your yellows re-valved? or is your approach different to their stiffness setting?

The wheels that I have now are 16's and the azenis (215/45/16) cost a lot for them, so I don't know if I'll be upgrading in the near future. I think I'll try the yokohama avs es300 next, because of the reviews they are getting on h-t. Hmm, thinking about that now, maybe I should just get a set of 14" steelies, alloys, or something and get the azenis for those and use my 16's as daily drivers.

About 14" wheels, I've come across a set of them off a miata and they fit over the caliper, but I tried them on, and the center bore isn't big enough to fit over that lip on the hub. The lip is around the axle nut and inside the lug studs. Would it be safe to bore the inside hole of teh tire out just enough so that they'll fit? Or should I just take a dremel and grind that lip down?

Oh man, you won't believe what happened to the local scca. We had events once a month either in my home town, or the city just north of here. In the other city, we used the state police training center, but now, there is a new rule adopted by the police. "The Santa Fe Academy has adopted a new policy which closes the track for everyone other than police use. Our clubs are investigating alternative sites" So, we have to go find a new place to set up courses, but until then, there is noplace to run except the local track (no events for a while) and the mountain, but that's not very safe. The last event was last Sunday, and the next event is on June 29 >=O
    Garados, thought that I might've been around your neck of the woods since I was under the impression you were from somewhere in Arizona, Was just in Phoenix last week, but it turns out that you may be from New Mexico.

Only1, yes, I thought that fuel pumps would be in the front myself, but after verbally describing the location of the part, my local dealer had said that fuel pumps are indeed within the area I described. I also am familiar with exhaust noises, but aren't close to what I'm hearing now. It is so weird. I first have to replicate the noise again before taking it in. Yesterday I started the car for about 5 minutes (idling) and no sound came out when I turned it off. I may have to drive it (so I will actually step on the gas pedal) and see if the noise shows up again when it gets parked. If I can successfully make the sound come out a few times, then I know that I can make it happen at the dealership. Dealer did say that they hardly have seen GS-R pumps failing so they too are in the dark. Yes, it is still under warranty since it only has 8k miles. And yes I will keep you guys updated - least I can do for you all.
    That really stinks about losing your site!! I know what it feels like because we recently lost one (non-SCCA) that was close to my house and those guys haven't been able to find another one since last summer! I 'm lucky I have 9-10 clubs I can race with in a 60mi. radius, because this is the tri-state area around NY City where 15-20 million people live so there are plenty of clubs and the NJ & NY (Southern) SCCA clubs are not even that far from each other. See if the Porsche Club (PCA) or BMWCCA is in your area. They usualy do at least 3-4 auto-x events/yr. Anyone could show up at those clubs but there 's only 1 class for non-Porsches and non-Bimmers which sucks, but at least you getting seat time, improving your skills and having fun.

As far as the Miata wheels go, you should know that I 'm purely a bolt-on guy. I don't like it when I have to "bore-down", grind, bend anything, etc. So if it were me I 'd look for wheels that would fit without any problems. I 'm probably going to get some 13x8" steelies that stick out of the fenders for the SCCA clubs which I race in DSP. Other non-SCCA clubs don't like wheels or tires that extend beyond the fender and puts those cars in a RACE class! So for those I use my Kosei K1 15x7".
    I haven't got the Konis revalved yet because there 's going to be more layoffs in my company in a month or so we 're told, so I 'm holding off on mods again. I was ready to spend a couple of grand $$ on an LSD, flywheel & Koni revalve, but I 'm not spending another dime now until I know my job situation. If the job market were good, I wouldn't mind, but there are no jobs in this area at all. The IT/Technology sector has been hit pretty hard and there are thousands of people layed off every month, in the NY/NJ/CT area.
    If I get good news next month, then I 'll mod the car again.

Hey didn't you say you had 2.0 deg. camber in a previous post? But now you said you have "very little camber"? Meaning very little negative camber? Did you recently get a wheel alignment and adjusted it back to factory settings (~0-1.5deg)? For auto-x, you should have 2-3" negative camber since you have the camber kit.
    If your car is lower you inherintly get more negative camber, and the more you lower it, the more negative camber you 'll get, which improves handling.
    What SCCA class are you in? I believe the camber kit will throw you out of STS and Street Prepared and put you in Street Modified (SM)!!
    Did I tell you I went up against the STS National Champ with an '89 Civic Si and lost by over 1 sec. Actually he was in a lower class at the BMW club I race at sometimes. He was on Falkens but it was 40-48 deg. the whole day and I couldn't get good traction with my R tires. That Civic and its driver (actually 2 drivers, Chris is the National Champ) were awesome! I should be matching him or beating him when the weather warms up and my R tires start sticking.
    Here's the link for the results.
    http://www.themclub.net/tmc_040603ax.htm

I 'm in E class, he came in 1st in F and he would 've gotten FTD if it weren't for the Open wheel Carts! That Civic weighs only 2100lbs. 400/450lb coilovers with off the shelf Konis. It handled amazingly well and at the hands of a National Champ it looked pretty good!

BTW, check out my brother who is in the same class as me with his Type-R :-)
    At least 1-2 other Type-Rs volunteered to move up to class D because they didn't want to go up against me :-) Check their times in class D.. heheh, I 'm going to call my self the Type-R killer :-)
    Yes, I did get an alignment which put the fronts into spec, but the backs still have some negative camber.

I'm in STS-N right now, so I'm not worried about teh class. In november, when my novice status is gone, I'll probably be moved up to a harder class... oh well. The point is to have fun ^_^

Today, I'm going to race my friend (an scca instructor) at the track. We decided to rent it for an hour and just have fun. I can't wait ^_^
    What tha? Talking about trolls.
    is right. Definite troll alert!!
    not again. What is the deal with all these trolls and outwar?
This discussion has been closed.