Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CRV problems

Comments

• sluglineslugline Posts: 391
    What happened in 1999 was that Honda boosted the compression ratio of the engine from 8.8:1 to 9.6:1 and revised the intake to breathe easier. You could probably duplicate some of that gain by putting an aftermarket intake on your CR-V.
  • clycly Posts: 1
    As you suggested, the ignition switch of my CRV '97 was faulty. You were absolutely right. Thanks again.
  • Will be picking up a blue cr-v next week. really like the body color hard spare cover we see on the 1st gen crv. for some reason, 2002 ONLY comes in BLACK. is there anywhere to pick up after market hard spare cover to match the car?
    THANKS.
  • Hi. I just picked and a new 2002 Honda CRV. When the car is in drive and I come to a full stop there is this noise that you can hear through the automatic shifter. Just 1 loud tick. If I was to drive in D2 and for about 50feet and come to a stop the noise is not there. Only in D3 and D4. Also when shifting in and out of park when the engine is warm or cold the trany makes a single cluncking noise. Otherwise it drives and rides great. Has anyone experienced this yet?
  • I test drove the Cr-V today and was very favorablly impressed -- seems like a great value and a tremendously versatile vehicle. I'm wondering if anyone else had a problem with the cramped foot (or more precisely "toe") room for the front passenger. There seems to be some kind of soft plastic shield at the extreme bottom of the dash that my toes kept bumping in to. Now I am a size 12 shoe but it was also a detriment noticed by my wife (size 7 shoe). Was this unique to the CR-V I drove, or have others experienced this cramped towe syndrome as well?
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    I've had my CRV EX for a month and am wondering what was wrong with the one you test drove. I have a size 11 shoe and my wife is a 7.We both have ample room for our shoes and have not experienced that type of a problem. The seats may have been in the foward position which offers less movement but even then I don't think you should have any problems which you describe. Why don"t you go back and test drive another one? Say hello to your brother sirlancealot!
  • Picked up my dark green 2002 CRV EX 1/3/02. I drove it 90 miles for work yesterday and car seems like an excellent value. I paid sticker price for the first time in my life and still feel like I got a deal. I waited 2 weeks for the dark green, now the wait is over 2 months on most colors. Car drives like my wife's 01 Outback which is just what I was hoping for.
  • Well I'm glad you haven't encountered the cramped toe space. I'll take your advice and sit on the passenger side of another CR-V to check if my toes hit the same impediment under the dash. I have plenty of time as the CR-V will replace a 2000 Accord with a lease end date of April 15th.
  • rictomrictom Posts: 76
    I got these prices from my local Honda dealer in Oregon (no sales tax). I've done some research regarding invoice prices and from reading here, a few ideas of what people who have bought a 2002 crv paid. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who are/have been looking at the 2002 crv's what you think of these prices. Thanks

2002 Honda CR-V LX 4X4 AT with Side Airbags:
    Suggested List - $ 21,789.00
    MSRP - $ 20,440.00
    Internet Price - $ 20,348.60

2002 Honda CR-V EX 4X4 AT:
    Suggested List - $ 24,089.00
    MSRP - $ 22,740.00
    Internet Price - $ 22,239.52
    I have a CRV EX that I picked up Dec 13, I was lucky to pay 22,000 750.00 below MSRP.Here in New Jersey When I picked up the car different dealers were getting 1000 above MSRP or list which is 22,750. Some added a package with all the options to build the price up to 24,570 or over 25000.I hear from some of the Honda Dealers at the present time these prices are still in affect and they can"t promise delivery or colors. So I can only say your quote for 22239.52 is pretty good I don't know what the LX goes for because I only was interested in the EX. Its a nice car, I like it!
    Thanks for the input. We haven't been able to drive one yet as the dealer says most of what they get in are spoken for....sounds like the Odyssey line :-)
    Can you tell me if you had driven a 2001 or older CRV and if so, if the 2002 CRV had more zip? It's supposed to, at least in theory. Did you happen to drive a Subaru Forester?
    Thanks
  • isellhondas -

Just for the utter trivia of it, my '86 Subaru GL had a feature called Hillholder. I believe it was standard on manual Subarus of the era.

With the car facing uphill, the manual in gear, and your foot on the brake(and with the parking brake released of course)...you could take your foot off of the brake and the car would not roll back at all until the clutch was released.

Not that I ever needed it, but still pretty cool I think. They might sell more MTs in the USA if this was widely available. Or would that cut into profits?

John
    Yes! I have, my daughter has a 2000 CRV SE. I drove it a few times when I visited her. Its a sweet car, shifts smooth has ample power and she loves it. My 2002 EX is much quicker, and does seem to have more power.It is very reponsive in traffic I can change lanes fast and climb hilly roads without any exertion on the gas pedal. I only have 900 miles on it so I am still not playing Barney Oldfield. {He was a racecar driver many years ago so I am dating myself.} In any case, good luck with the car you finally pick.
    No! I have not driven any Forester's sorry.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,762
    Yeah, I knew that.

Subarus ans Studebakers had hill holders.

Now, that's OLD trivia!
    Inkie: thanks for the info on the 2002 crv ex.
    Another question: I've decided that I want the abs, which means I must get an EX. Not only do I not necessarily care for everything that comes on the EX, but of course I don't want to pay that much for it. I could get pretty much everything I want on a 2002 Forester L, but I think my wife will want the Honda. I guess I can try to get a deal I can live with, and if not, it'll be the Forester. I'm realizing I'm upset with Honda for not making ABS standard. Do others feel the same way?
  • barnonebarnone Posts: 118
    i wanted the ABS in the CR-V which made me end
    up in an EX. if only there were an LX w/ABS, i
    would have taken it, then add whatever options
    i wanted.
    barnone: Exactly! That's what I did when we bought our Odyssey. Got the LX with 1-2 options.
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    What options are available for the LX that someone would add? I can think of side airbags and auto tranny. As far as I know anything else would be an accessory. And even at that, the keyless entry and alloy wheels are what meets that description. This isn't Toyota we're talking about...Honda has very few options in their trim lines.
    i guess what i meant was accessories, like:
    cd player/changer which is better if you buy
    aftermarket.alloy wheels... you get to choose your design.of course: lower monthly payments... :)
  • I am thinking of getting this used 2001 CRV SE. The owner wants $21K. He only has 11K miles on it. I drove it today, the CRV's are loud on the
    freeway! Anyway, I might just own it by this Friday. Super clean. He also bought the 7 year extended warranty that he told me is transferable. :o)

My wife and I like the 2002, but we know that we would only be able to afford the EX. We would like the SE, but 1) it's not here in Northern Cali
    yet, 2) it will be far to expensive.

I stopped by a dealer after seeing the private seller. They have a brand new 01 CRV SE, same color and everything. They are selling it for $23,240 (destination charges included). This is not including the tax, lic, registration. The dealer was telling me that they would wheel and deal on this to get it off their lot. He also mentioned that they still might have special financing on the 01's (1.9-3.9%). Whatever. The way I see it, I'm gonna get the best deal of my life for $21K.

I have to admit that the new motor and new looks of the 2002 are nice, but at the same time that "new generation" engine is just that, NEW. I don't know what the reliability of it will be, but based on Honda's rep, it will probably be outstanding. I think I can save our family a lot of money and settle for the 2.0 liter...
    Invoice price for a 2001 SE is $21,273 (listed here in edmunds) --> destination charges included.
    MSRP is $23,240 --> the price your dealer sells you?

funny...

If you want that 2001 crv se--and as barnone has said the invoice is 21,273, if you're comforatble with 21k, offer the dealer that. What have you got to lose? He says he wants to move it, so see if he's serious. If he's had it on his lot most of 2001, he needs to get rid of it.
    If it was me I might offer him 20k or 20,5, and worst case, might end up at 21k.
    And if possible do it through email, more convenient for you than having 5-6 phone calls where he keeps you on the phone and tries to get you to raise your price.
    Good luck
  • 2 questions in one. I have a '99 CRV. It began making a ZZZZ sound (like zippping a zipper real fast)when the steering wheel rolled back from a 90 degree turn. This started with the cold weather and I associated it with this. I took it to the dealer and after consulting with their "tech" people they called and said they would put in a new rack and pinion (don't know spelling on this), which would take the better part of the day. I took my car in at 8:15a.m. and they called at 11:00 a.m. to say it was ready. Can it be done this quick? They told me the times for labor "vary". Also, does anyone know any more about this sound than the dealer has told me? The car has 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for any insight.
  • Hi,
    My 2000 CRV has 34,000 miles on it. I bought it new from Carorder.com and the first "problem" seems to be the arm or whatever it is that keeps the tailgate from swinging open too fast or too far. Its spring is sprung, or whatever
    I guess my questions are
    1) How do I replace it? (I added many of the accessories myself)
    2)Does the new car warranty cover this?
    3) Will my local Honda dealer honor the warranty...since the car was purchased out of state?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Anybody having trouble with a 2002 CRV EX with automatic transmission? I have had my CRV for a month and I live in a cold climate. First time I drive the car in the morning when it shifts to second gear the tranny feels like it slips into neutral for a second and then catches itself and jerks back into gear.

Only does it first thing in the morning, and only on cold mornings. Been back to the dealership multiple times they can not find anything wrong.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Is there a shock looking thing attached to the tailgate? I know my friend's 01 Rodeo has one on the side hinged door. If that's what you are referring to, its an easy fix. Should just be 2 bolts holding it on, although one end may be hidden behind door trim. At any rate, as long as you get it in before 36k, Honda has to replace it under warranty. And yes, any Honda dealer should gladly take care of your problem no matter where you bought it.
  • I have taken my new CRV back to the dealer twice because the airbag light turns on and stays on, thus disabling the system.

The dealer can't pinpoint what is causing this to happen. It happens after the engine fails to cold start. After another attempt, the engine will start, but the airbag (SRS) light stays on. Anybody else having this problem???

Also, I saw that somebody had a question about a hearing single "click" after braking to a complete stop. I hear it too, but it is not a loud click.

Thanks.
  • They are relatively easy to replace and if the dealer won't cover it(they should under your warranty) you would probably find a replacement at Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. for $10-$15. I have replaced several on American autos but my Nissan Stanza wagon lasted for 13 years and 185,000 miles without replacing either one on the back.
  • I'll check it out with my local Honda Dealer
  • imacatimacat Posts: 1
    I've had my CRV for 11 days now, and twice just in the middle of taking a corner at slow speed the engine has cut completely off. The engine being so quiet, you don't know it has cut off until you find you can barely move the steering wheel!! It happened the first time on the day after I bought it and again yesterday, (9 days later). It's going back to the dealer on Thursday the 21st. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how was it resolved?? I'm afraid that I'm going to get rear-ended if this keeps happening! Thanks for any help...Jude
This discussion has been closed.