Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Sebring Problems and Solutions

191011121315»

Comments

• See my previous message (#677). I didn't mention it there, but I also had symptoms similar to what you're describing, though it was when first starting the car and pulling it out of its parking spot. For me, it was the fuel pump. If keeping your tank full alleviates the symptoms, it could easily be a pump problem. If you keep the tank full and ignore it too long, you'll end up needing a tow like I did. :(
  • rosariorosario Posts: 1
    My Sebring has a 2.4 liter engine and I need to change the air filte. Is that hard to do? Can you offer instructions?
  • Hey, I have the exact same problem. I replaced the plugs, wires and the fuel filter and its still not fixed. I'm trying the EGR valve today. I'll let you know what happens. If you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • well hello to all again. I have a update on my car and its not good news. Starting with first bill: $868.00 for a major, major tune up. Door handle on driver side broke also. I went and detailed it yesterday and when i was washing it at the car wash ii must have knock something lose cause my exhaust is really loud now... lol Over all car gets better gas mileage and has more pick up.. Still get warm when im at idol but goes back down after a bit. If you guys have any questions on 1997 chrysler sebrings LX please email me at anytime :D
  • kai9kai9 Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help! My 99 Chrysler Sebring will not start. It has 120,000 miles on it. It would not restart one evening after I pumped gas. The AAA guy jumped it, and I was on my way. The next morning it started, and I went and purchased a new battery at Sears. I made one stop on the way home, and it started again just fine. The next morning, it struggled to start, but I did get it started twice. However, I was concerned about taking the car out on the freeway, so I decided to bus to work. The car would not start again.

Yesterday, I had two friends try to help. They bought an alternator, and fully charged the battery before putting the alternator in. They could not get the engine to turn over or start at all. They then abandoned putting in the alternator.

Any ideas on what to look for next? I am trying to put as little money as I can into the car because of the miles, and due to the fact that I am a poor medical intern. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kai9
    Benicia, California

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :sick:
  • Kai9 you probably have a electrical device on the car that is draining you battery all the time. check all fuses and make sure that all lights internal and external are off. :) :shades:
  • I bought a 2004 in April, since the day I drove it off the lot it has been in & out of the shop. They have drove it more then I have. When I do get it back its on a Friday and by Sunday it is dying and heading back to the shop. It has been to two different shops and no one can figure out what is wrong with it. They will have it for weeks at a time. My car will be doing fine and then if i have to stop my RPMs will go crazy n it will die. If I am lucky n payin attention I can throw it in neutral n rev it up so it wont die. It doesnt matter how much gas I have in it I can have a full tank n it will still die. It has now been getting worse n doin it when I slow down n doin it more often n when it dies it will not start for long periods of time. Today it was dead from 830 a.m. till about 430 p.m. I am so frustrated I am about to lose my mind. I love my car n want it fixed but no one knows what to do to fix it. If anyone has any ideas about what could be wrong PLEASE help!!!!!
  • rg2002: Have the dealership check on chrysler's website if there are any computer updates that describe a fix to your issues. When I was driving for a long period of time and I slowed down to an intersection the car would ilde badly and sometimes kill. Then it also would surge up when I was pulling into a a parking spot. No dealership could figure it out and even suggested that I spend $200 to have my fuel system cleaned out. It took me looking at websites like this to find that there is a computer update that the dealer can upload to your car. Thing is those lazy asses would rather just say we can't figure it out instead of taking a few minutes to read thru the updates. Have them look thru the updates for you car. I have an 04 limited and there are a lot of updates...only thing is that your car MIGHT need one, it might not, thats why they don't look there first.
  • I would suggest changing your O2 sensors changed first. Also, try seeing if you need a fuel pump. Good Luck.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, folks,
    I've noticed a lot of transmission questions/issues in this topic so I've created a separate one here:

Chrysler Sebring: Transmission Questions

You may notice that some posts from this topic have been moved there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks I will mention that. Supposedly the one mechanic is online all the time "talking" to other mechanics trying to figure out the problem. Thought they had figured out the problem yesterday when they called and said something about a circuit (?) staying open...but they never called me back today so I'm guessing that wasn't the problem either. They have already changed O2 censor and fuel pump and tons of other things. My car is just a piece of junk and am getting a lawyer on it on Monday. Haha Thanks
  • My mom is going through the same thing with her 2004 Sebring. The dealership says they cannot find anything wrong, however we know when it shuts off while driving there is something wrong.
  • The shop called me today. Just wondering if anyone thinks this will help or sounds like it might be the problem...They think the whole wiring harness (?) needs replaced. Said its an expensive job and are waiting for dealership (who I have a full warranty with) to give them the ok to do it. Haha they better do it, and it better fix the problem or otherwise they have wasted alot of money for nothing because an attorney will be getting involved! haha
  • In the time frame of a week and a half, I have had to have my '00 Chrysler Sebring JXi convertible towed to service three times for miscellaneous repairs and have still had the continual stalling out of the engine, almost everything has been replaced, so far in the past year and a half we have spent almost 1,800.00 in repairs on this car and it is still not functioning properly, I am convinced that it is a lemon on wheels despite what the lemon law says about a car having to be (2002 or newer) I think this law should change!!! :lemon: Anyone out there who begs to differ???
  • Try the wiring harness hehe Thats what my shop swears is wrong with my car..would tell you if that works but now am sitting n waiting w/o a car to drive to see if dealership is gonna pay for my car to be fixed! haha They said its an expensive job and are trying not to lose there a$$ with my car haha But anyways try that maybe it'll help your car too.
  • I rented a 06 Sebring Limited sedan(6k miles) to drive round trip from Florida to Memphis. When I first got in the car I was impressed with the nice interior, but when I started driving it, my mind changed. The V6 engine was not smooth. It made a constant buzzing sound. Transmission was also noisy and shifted erratically. It made whining and grinding noises. This was a almost new car, I think Chrysler needs to do better.
  • CRANK SENSOR ABOVE THE TRANSMISSION GOES BAD ON THESE CARS WILL ACT LIEK IT DIES OUT IT MAY START AGAIN TOO ITS GOING BAD CHANG IT 65 DOLLER SENSOR AT AUTOP ZONE 65 LABOR PUT IT IN SUMWARE NOT BAD AT ALL IF U EVER GET HESTAIONS DOA TRAINY TUNE UP ALSO 70 BUCKS OK NEW GADSCETS AND FILTER IN THER ALL U NEED U BUDDIE AND EVERONE ELSE TO WHO DIES IT CAME RIGHT UP ON THE SCANNER WHEN THE GUYS DID IT FOR FREE FOR EM THX NICK CRANK SENSOR CHANG E IT
  • CRANK SENSOR ABOVE THE TRANSMISSION GOES BAD ON THESE CARS WILL ACT LIEK IT DIES OUT IT MAY START AGAIN TOO ITS GOING BAD CHANG IT 65 DOLLER SENSOR AT AUTOP ZONE 65 LABOR PUT IT IN SUMWARE NOT BAD AT ALL IF U EVER GET HESTAIONS DOA TRAINY TUNE UP ALSO 70 BUCKS OK NEW GADSCETS AND FILTER IN THER ALL U NEED U BUDDIE AND EVERONE ELSE TO WHO DIES IT CAME RIGHT UP ON THE SCANNER WHEN THE GUYS DID IT FOR FREE FOR EM THX NICK CRANK SENSOR CHANG E IT
  • Is anyone having trouble with their oil pressure light coming on? They said they can't tell me nothing cause it won't stay on, but it comes on every time i push the brake pedal. Sometimes it dies. Can you tell me what's problem before it escalate?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,356
    Sounds like the car is getting ready to stall---very low engine idle when you brake. Anyway, check the oil level but maybe you need to tell them you have a stalling problem, not an oil light problem.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    You may have noticed that we're moving toward smaller, more focused discussions. Please go to the top level of the Sebring board and look for an existing topic or create a new one if you don't see something suitable. Here's the link: Chrysler Sebring.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.