Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander vs GMC Envoy

Comments

• diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    LOL, you can crack at the reliability and electrical failures of the Chevy SUVs, but you can't deny the fact that they are indeed very structurally sound.

Heatwave- not to dig up the hatchet, but I think you're missing jblaze's point completely.

He is not arguing about the actual resale values of neither the Toyota or the Chevy. His point was that 9 years ago, there were no direct SUV competitor to the Suburban from any Japanese automaker. And in fact, there still isn't. The Sequoia is more of a competitor for the Tahoe and Expeditions. Only the Ford's land yacht, the Excursion, can actually be compared to the Suburban.

But getting back on point- 9 years ago, there were no competitors for the big Chevy, hence the high resale value for a used one. So Toyota's resale value isn't really a myth, it's just overrated. Their cars' resale values are generally high, but not so high as to make every other car seem like they're worth $0 (save for a Hyundai Excel).

Now just for the sake of argument, I went to Kelley Blue Book and priced out a similarly equipped 1994 Chevy S-Blazer with a similarly equipped 1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5.

The Chevy had a retail of $7,385 and the Toyota had a retail of $10,450.

Unfortunately, KBB didn't give the original MSRP of both vehicles, so I went to AutoPricesPlus.com.

The base MSRPs of the Chevy and Toyota were $24,686 and $22,258, repectively.
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Well I don't know if they were found in a Suburban, but they did pull out 2 surviving firefighters.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Well, the way I heard it, two rescue workers fell into a hole at the scene and got banged up. Other rescuers assumed they were in the initial wave of firefighters caught on Tuesday. I have no idea how the report got embellished with a SUV.

Usual disclaimers - lots of unconfirmed reports out there. The rumor mill is worse than the CR-V articles that floated around all year.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• peter78peter78 Posts: 284
    Steve, thanks for setting me straight on the 5 fire fighters. It is amazing that the rumor had a specific vehicle mentioned. Sorry about the mix up. You are right about the 2 fire fighters that were saved, at least there was some good news.
  • diploid: thanks for the additional info and the comparisons between the S-Blazer and the 4Runner. We have gotten abit far afield from my original point which was a simple response to the view expressed in an earlier post that all domestic suvs have a worse resale value than Toyotas. I was simply showing one example from personal experience that contradicted the earlier "absolute" statement made in favor of Toyotas over GM.

Absolutes are always dangerous and my example of the Sub was simply a response to the "assertion" that all Toyotas are better in resale. I acknowledge that the Sub may be special however that should be to GM's credit for meeting an unmet market need. Other companies could have done so (in fact Jeep had the F/S Grand Wagoneer for years that competed with the Suburban), but elected to leave it to the 65 year experience that Chevy has with the Suburban.
  • Here in NYC, the Chevy Surburbans are the only SUVs used by the fire departments. The police are getting all the new 2002 Explorers.
  • Since I started this topic I have test driven, researched, and welcomed your input.
    We have made a decision, but are not buying for a couple of months and will likely order.
    GMC Envoy was surprisingly nice. Good feel, powerful, accessories, etc.. The HL wins out in my opinion however. Seems to be a more refined, quality vehicle overall. The only thing I need to make happen is a reasonable price for the HL.
  • brad_22brad_22 Posts: 154
    I think you'll be happy with the Highlander. Check out the Highlander thread to hear what others have said about pricing, options, etc.
  • mrtwomrtwo Posts: 4
    I just went to the GMC dealer today. Almost bought the envoy but got stuck on my trade in value and didn't buy it (good thing).

I was all set on buying the HL but reading the msg around here I went to the GMC to give the envoy a chance. The option on the envoy are superb. however the build quality and the interior as well as the outside trim was not up to par. Wonderfull truck though. Then we went back (wife and me) to the toyota dealer to refresh our memory and it was a no brainer.

The HL was of just so much higher quality when it come to fit and finish it was a no brainer.

Yes the envoy is a better SUV. Handle nice and have wonderfull options. But the interior just feel so cheap and exterior molding that was fading sitting on the dealer lot. It just felt 'clunky' with the rear seat look really crappy and with a bit metal peice sticking out in the middle of the seat it's downright bad. As compared to the HL that felt so luxurious compared to it. The 2002 center console is so nice. The Envoy has more HP but is heavier and can tow more. Almost double the HL. But I dotn' require that much towing (might need to haul my Mr2 spyder to race track but it's only 2194 pounds) nor do I off road that much since i live in CA. So I guess it's the HL for me.

As a side note the dealer we went to (Garden Grove, CA) Toyota had a 2001 model with a 3,000 dollars market add up (additional profit if you prefer) but the 2002 didn't have such a markup, DUH !!!! I really don't know what the hell they are thinking.

Anyway, that was my experience from comparing the two.
  • kath00kath00 Posts: 3
    Thanks for starting this excellent thread. I was wondering if I was the only one who is making the decision between these 2 cars.

I test drove both yesterday and found that the Envoy looked more luxurious than the HL (unlike the previous post) and there were no metals sticking out, rust, etc. I thought it was way more powerful of an engine. It swayed a bit more than the HL, which is the only downside to the vehicle that I found. That and the tiny cupholders, definitely not big enough to hold my supersize drink cups. (The center console on the HL is an extra option? I've never heard of something that silly.) Anyway, I just got a great quote on-line for an Envoy for invoice with 0% financing so after much back and forth, I think we will get it this weekend.
  • Toyota recalls Highlanders for brake work
    DETROIT, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling more than 41,000 Highlander sport utility vehicles because of a potential problem with their brakes.

The problem, announced by federal regulators in a monthly list of automotive recalls, stems from potential leakage of air into the Highlander's braking system, which can lead to increased stopping distances and heightened risks of a crash.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said 41,169 of the SUVs from the 2001 model year were included in the recall.

Separately, NHTSA said Saab Cars USA Inc., a unit of General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news), was recalling 12,036 of its 1998 model year 900 vehicles because their passenger side air bags may deploy without a crash.

The agency attributed the potential for inadvertent deployment to a buildup of static electricity in the compartments that house the air bags.
    Hmm...This seems to be old news. I took my HL in for the brake recall months ago. Turns out mine was okay anyway.

If you want to see some REAL recall news, trying entering "GMC Envoy Recalls" in your search engine. ; )
  • lbthedoglbthedog Posts: 198
    Looks like Toyota has the lead, on recalls that is. A total of 6,000 Envoys, TrailBlazer and Bravadas were recalled and 41,000 Highlanders have been recalled. But lets not bring up the subject of "sludge". Seems to make Toyota owners act a bit strange. But if 3 out of 4 wheels fell off a Toyota, the owners would rave about the "quality" of that fourth wheel.
    IBthedog-
    Really? Did you scroll through all of them or just the first one you saw? Here's what I found:
    -----------------------------------------
    2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and Oldsmobile Bravada Recalled
    Detroit, MI (SafetyAlerts) - The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting certain 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and Oldsmobile Bravada vehicles. The affected vehicles were manufactured between July and October 1999.

30,476 automobiles are affected by this recall.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    GM to recall 6,000 sport utility vehicles

APRIL 5, 2001 — General Motors plans to recall 6,000 sport utility vehicles because of a safety concern over a suspension part and will temporarily idle the plant that produces the vehicles. GM spokesman Mike Morrissey said Thursday that GM is asking customers who bought a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer, 2002 GMC Envoy or 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada to stop driving the vehicles immediately.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:CONSOLE (8/82)
    Year: 2002
    Make: GMC
    Model: ENVOY
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 8197
    Manufactured From: OCT 2000 To: MAR 2001
    Year of Recall: '01
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: Certain sport utility vehicles fail to comply with requirements of FMVSS No. 201, "Occupant Protection in Interior Impacts." These vehicles have a console cover/armrest lid latch that could release at less than the 10g vertical load requirement of the standard.

In the event of a crash, the console cover could open and the cover or items stored under it could injure an occupant.
    --------------------------------------
    GMC Envoy: [3,116 vehicles] Daytime Running Lights have candela value greater than 2,600, were located less than 100 mm from turn signals and hazard lamps, and are not deactivated when turn signal or hazard lamps are activated.
    --------------------------------------

etc.....That's a wide variety of problems for such a new vehicle.
  • robz3robz3 Posts: 28
    Please reread the first recall you posted. In the first line it says 2002 TB,Envoy, Bravada. But then on the fourth line it says it's for vehicles manufactured between July and October of 1999. This doesn't add up. Was GM making production cars two years before sale? I don't think so. Over 30,000 made?
    Wow, you're right. A loose console lid could prove to be deadly. And those daytime running lights being dim could really be a hazard. Who would think that the company that started putting DRLs on voluntarily could put so many lives at risk by not making them bright enough. It really must be a safety enhancement to have a brake system recalled. But the guy before me was right, how'd they recall vehicles from two years before they were built? Does GM have a "Wayback" machine? But still this doesn't add up to 41k. Got some more?
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    41K.....I think not. Check your source. This recall is old news. Maybe Toyota has made 41k Highlanders total, but the recall was issued long before they made 41k. Take it from someone who understands Japanese manufacturing methods and worked in the auto industry, that problem was fixed as soon as they found it and before they made another vehicle. I don't recall any reports of Highlander owners not being able to brake. I do recall stories of a Envoy/Bravada/TBlazer owner whose vehicle would not shift out of reverse. Compare something else between the two vehicles, because there is no competition when comparing quality. Good luck driving home....BACKWARDS.
    >>Toyota recalls Highlanders for brake work
    DETROIT, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling more than 41,000 Highlander sport utility vehicles because of a potential problem with their brakes.

The problem, announced by federal regulators in a monthly list of automotive recalls, stems from potential leakage of air into the Highlander's braking system, which can lead to increased stopping distances and heightened risks of a crash.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said 41,169 of the SUVs from the 2001 model year were included in the recall.<<

My source is "Reuters", your source is "Hearsay", what's your wager now?
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    You'd probably believe there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn too. With respect to Reuters they are a financial information news co. They happen to be reporting a story that is months old. Check out the Highlander board if you don't believe me. This should tell you how much they know about what's going on in the auto industry. I'm speaking from personal experience about an industry I've worked in. If you would like to speak with the gentlemen in Ann Arbor, Michigan who couldn't get his SUV out of reverse I'll get his email for you. Hearsay that. The bottom line is that the Highlander is far more likely to be a better built, higher quality vehicle than the GM triplets.
This discussion has been closed.