Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Vitara Maintenance and Repair

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
What problems have you experienced with your Grand Vitara? Please share any solutions!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• It happens every once in a while, especially on the long trip. However, it always stops at the dealership so they refuse to fix it. Believe it is because of the differacial components.
  • I purchased a Touring model 01,at the end of July.After about 1 week I heard a noise coming from the back end, so I thought. I took it to the dealership for repair,the problem was actually coming from the front. It was a loose clamp that was rubbing. I've heard nothing since.
  • Well, just for starters, my '99 Grand Vitara XLS has been in for several noises, there seems to be a continueing rattle, this i have been told by the first dealer that it was my heat sheild and it would need to be cleaned every once in awhile, to just keep bringing it back (ha), the second dealer stated it was my exhaust and has replaced the exhaust, needless to say i still have the rattle. This SECOND NOISE it is in for now I was told was a common problem with the 99 and 2000 Grand Vitara's is the Timing Chain Tensionure.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    the 1999 Grand Vitara made the 2002 comsumer reports buyers guide as "used cars to avoid by make and year" it said that this car has Below-average reliability... and you should avoid buying this year and model.. i dont know if they fixed ALL the problems for 2000 or not. but out of the whole entire suzuki line of cars and years, that one was the only one that made consumer reports "avoid" list...
  • I rear ended a mini van with my 2000 Suzuki Vitara going 30 miles per hour (Yep It was my fault - I know) The Vitara had over $5,000.00 worth of damage (Drive train damage, transmission was shot, the frame was bent) It is now 3 months and I still don't have my Vitara back. I have made three car payments and I have no Vitara to drive. The transmission took over a month to get from Suzuki. They said they were shipping it from Japan and it was stuck in customs. Anyway, my point is I don't think this truck holds up in a crash. What if I had been going 50 or 60 miles per hour, Would I be dead? Would this truck crumble? A lot of damage for a small rear end collision. I would not buy another truck from Suzuki just because of this. I want a truck that can hold up in a crash and I can get parts for in America. By the way my air bag did not work and I hit my mouth on the steering wheel and cut my lip. The air bag probably did not deploy because I was not going fast enough. I must say before all of this I loved the Vitara. Has anyone else had these problems that I have mentioned?
  • ccskwccskw Posts: 1
    A year ago I saw a post about someone who bought a cd changer the same as the dealers for about $189? it plugged right into the harness. Do you remember the site?
  • sbunchsbunch Posts: 3
    My 99 GV (bought in April 00)had a 4wd popping sound coming from what seemed like the front differential right from the beginning. (There was no place to test the 4wd in Denver, the asphalt jungle. So I just took it home trusting that it was ok. Wrong choice!)
    I took it back for a warranty repair (some of you may remember the story about the defective "clip") and they changed out the whole front differential. So far, so good until August 02, when it started making that awful popping noise again, only now it only does it when climbing STEEP terrain or backing down the same. So...back to the dealer I went. They gave me some story about the differential fluid being low and old (with only 38000 on it?). Low, maybe I could believe. They did a full 4wd service (new fluid in both differentials and the transfer case) and said they test drove it and it only Popped once. So.... off I go to the San Juan Mtns and it STILL does it! Now, nobody wants to talk to me and they say it will cost $1500 for a new differential or $1200 for a new transfer case, whereever the problem really is. As far as I am concerned, the 4wd has never worked reliably or properly since I got it and I feel like I have a lemon. (Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the transfer case lever pops from 4high to 2wd on it's own frequently.) I have registered a formal complaint with the NHSTA since the dealers and Suzuki Corp have been uncooperative. If I can't get this resolved through them I am going after the Colorado Lemon Law. I bought this vehicle SPECIFICALLY for moderate duty off-roading and since that is SPECIFICALLY the function it is unable to perform, I will not be stuck with it.
    Unlike many of the other complaints I have read about in the forum, my Suzi is PERFECT except for the above problem.
    I don't mean to sound like a whiner; I really love my Suzi and want to keep it but I don't know what else to do and it seems unfair that the warranty repair never really took hold and now I am responsible for such an expensive repair on such a relatively new vehicle. It is now out of warranty.
    Any comments? Suggestions? Similar stories?
  • stank29stank29 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Grand Vitara with 52K miles.
    Just recently I notice a hole the size of a quarter through the cloth upholstery on the drivers side back rest just above the seat. Upon closer inspection there appears to be a sharp metal bracket that after a period of time getting in and out of the car causes the bracket to wear through the cloth.
    Since the car is out of warranty I'm sure I'll
    be stuck with the repair.
    Just wondering If any one else has experienced
    this problem?
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    BTW>>>>>>>>>>>they are made by General Seating in Franfort Indiana.....also suppliers to FUJI/Isuzu factory in Lafayette
  • peter_dykpeter_dyk Posts: 1
    When I purchased the vehicle there seemed to be a problem with manually controlling the lights. It was new and I thought it must be working properly. I read the manual, and it didn't seem to agree with how the lighting system actually worked. Basically, you have no manual control of
    the lights. I even went to the dealer, and they told me everything was working fine.

A couple months later, I had a problem with the lights staying on after the vehicle was turned off and the keys removed. There was no buzzer sounding when the door opened.

Next problem was sometime in November when the headlights stayed on, no matter what I did. I had to disconnect the battery cable at night so the
    battery would not die. Next day I took it to the dealer, with the problem still occurring, and they indicated that the day/night sensor was
    malfunctioning and replaced it.

Between November and December I had a problem with the left turn signal. It worked intermittently. I called the dealer, and Danny (service manager) indicated that they could not fix it if I did not bring the vehicle to them
    with it not working. By the end of December, it was not working at all anymore. I brought it in between Christmas and New Years. They replaced the
    switch on the steering column. The next day I drove to Niagara Falls, and still had a problem with the turn signal when making a turn, but now the cruise control did not work!

Due to the policy of the dealer's shop, that they have no vehicle loaners, I found it difficult to bring the vehicle in to the shop during January or
    February. In the meantime the left had turn signal problem was back. At the end of March I was trying to book an appointment to bring the vehicle in to the dealer. I finally made an appointment! When I brought the vehicle in,
    the left turn signal was failing intermently (50%), the manual head light control did not work. Danny advised again that he could not fix the intermittent turn signal problem. So, I pressed him on the manual lighting control, and the cruise control.

Danny finally made a call to Suzuki Canada to ask what the problem might be. This was April 23, 2002. Danny was advised to replace the wiring harness (order number 014489073, reference V69935). He indicated it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get the part. It is now May 17, 2001. I went to see Danny last night. He indicated he had no idea where the part was, whether it had even
    been shipped, and it has to come from Japan!

Now I emailed Suzuki.

Anyone ever have a problem like this? Any advise on how to get these guys to fix the problem?
  • Hello,Several years ago my cousin had a Geo Tracker [Suzuki]. She blew the engine at about 40,000 miles. I called a friend in the bone yard about a good used engine. "1900 bucks". When I asked how come so much, he said the demand was driving up the price. I guess alot of these engines are going bad, at least they were. Does anybody know if the reliability has improved since then? I was thinking of getting one, but don't want to invest in a ute that has engine problems. Any help is welcome. Thanks.....Leo
  • zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    I was checking under the hood of our 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2.0L and noticed something wrong with the A/C condenser (small "radiator" in front of the engine radiator). Looking thru the blades of the electric fan mounted in front of the condenser, I noticed much of the condenser fin area has been bent over and in some places completely blocking any air passage thru the condenser. The fan blades are not touching the condenser and there is not apparent damage anywhere else on the condenser or front end. The engine seems to stay in the same heat range as always and the A/C cools as always. A casual look may not reveal this. Look at your condenser, does it have the same "damage"? I noticed the fins on the condenser are VERY fragile and just touching them with light pressure is enough to bend them. My guess is the fins may bend if you travel at highway speeds in heavy rain(?) There is no damage or marks on the plastic front/grille and the electric fan blades appear to be OK. I decided to look at this area after I noticed when I turned on the A/C while the car is parked and a window is rolled down, what seemed to be a high air movement noise when the A/C is switched on. I noticed this some time ago, can't place when the noise may have first started.
    but not too many. COuld it be the bugs getting thru the grill?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm......interesting nonetheless.
    It seems the most "damage" is near the outer ends of the fan blade circumference..towards the center of the fan, nearer the fan motor itself, there are fewer bent fins. Beyond the fan area itself there are no bent fins. It appears that the force of the fan as it turns and moves air thru the condenser radiator and whatever is moved thru (air, bugs, dust, etc) contribute to the bent fins. Once again, after cleaning the car and closely viewing the front end (grille), there is absolutely no damage, marks, etc. As an example, if it was gravel, sand or whatever, I would expect to see some pitting or marking of the plastic grille and/or paint damage. I should add we baby this vehicle, never been off road, always on paving, never treating it rough. Gets Mobil 1 5W30 every 3k miles, now has 16k on it. I suggest this problem is commonplace and most vehicles inspected would find similar results.
    Ihave a buddy with a 2 door traker, built by Zuki like ours. He has the 1.6L engine and let me tell you he picked this hamster up with 38K and now has over 140K on the clock. He has run Mobil 1 since the day he bought it. For kicks he had a compression test done and all 4 cyclinders show nearly perfect compression. He did get the valve cover gasket replaced and the top end was spotless.
    I ran this stuff in a Dak I used to own and I got 1.5 more MPG and dropped the engine temp a bit.

Next oil change the hamster gets a full dose of Mobil1.

Bear in mind, most condenser fins are pretty delicate and it doesn't take much to bend them at all. What I don't like is the design which makes in nearly impossible to run a comb thru there to straighten them out.
    As for reliability, I think these hamsters are tough little mothers! I watched the aforementioned buddy put his thru hell and back and it still keeps a going!
    Just do the maintenance, drive them like a 4 banger and watch the jackrabbit starts and you should be fine.
    my concern is what is the negative impact of the bent fins? Assuming this an inherent problem, if I straightened the fins or replaced the condenser, they would bend again. Looks like I could pop off the grille, remove the fan motor, then comb the fins. But if there is no real need to straighten them, I will forget it. I worry about hot spots in the condenser or even the engine radiator. What do you think? I hope others that read these messages take a look at their condenser and report their findings.

Regards
  • bmuelle1bmuelle1 Posts: 15
    I have a 1999 Tracker with a 2.0 engine thats just turned 52,000 miles on it and is a bit over three years old. I just spent almost $1000.00 on it to replace my condenser and fan and blades. The condenser fan blades had eaten into the condenser in a perfect circle. The vehicle has NEVER been in an accident nor have we EVER heard the grinding of the fan into the condenser. Has Chevrolet or Suzuki ever had a recall on this defect? This really burns me up and I do plan to call Chevrolet and complain for whatever good it will do. Bernie
    I am still trying to figure out how the fins on the condenser behind the electric fan blades get bent/damaged. The damage on my 2000 Vitara looks like something impacted the fin area behind most of the fin area. Where the center of the fan motor is, there is no damage. Outside the fan area, the rest of the condenser looks new. I have to look closer but it does not look like the fan blades have touched the fins. Could be at highway speeds with the A/C on, the plastic fan blades flex, then hit the condenser? In any case, I hope others read these messages, then look closely at their condenser. I have a feeling this is a problem with any Tracker or Vitara built with the current A/C design. Those who don't have or use their A/C much may not see this type of problem. I believe in the past, I have looked at my condenser but saw no damage. We baby this vehicle, never used off road, change oil every 3k, Mobil 1 5-30w, front end clean. I would expect if something (gravel, dirt, whatever)damaged the condenser, I would see some damage to the plastic grille....it still looks new!