Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Vitara Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• reamsreams Posts: 2
    My transmission was repaired twice when brand new and was replaced with a rebuilt one around 13,000 miles. I have had problems with the rebuilt unit since.
    2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara
  • tomw4tomw4 Posts: 2
    HI
    I have a Vitera (Escudo)2L V6 with 55miles and there was a rattle noise coming from the top I remove the rocker cover and the timing chain is loose and I looks like the engine was striped before, found on the web this could be the tensioner any ideas welcomed
    tomw4 :sick:
  • yesyesyesyesyesyes Posts: 5
    Hey all - I've got a 2001 Vitara with a factory CD - radio - clock. The manuel came with an extra part concerning the "new" clock-radio. But it has been lost. I've pushed and held every button in every combination I can think of.

It has a column on the left with an eject button then the pwr/vol knob and then the rcl/tune knob. The main portion has four rows. #1 is the CD entry/exit space.
    #2 is the am/fm button, then the cd button, then the lcd screen.
    #3 has three button/switches 1-2 is prv/nxt, 3-4 is rev/fwd and 4-5 is rdm/apt.
    Final row #4 is a button/switch, seek left or right, then and audio button, then a up or down button switch.

Anyone know how to set this clock? Thank You.
    ~David
  • tomw4tomw4 Posts: 2
    Hi
    I had the well documented timing chain problem and I have found out
    1.My Japanese import 1996 v6 2l escudo same engine as 2.5 vitara 2.5 x7
    2. change oil regularly with 5w30 to avoid problem
    3..Tension no 1 is the week link
    I now have a tuning problem since changing the chain the electronic tuning had to be adjusted a lot I should not of had to go near this as the Engine was perfect before changing the timing chain any ideas
    Tomw4
  • Press the "DISP" button on the right side of the unit.
    Under the "track/tune" there are two buttons, one pointing right, the other left.
    Hiolding DISP, press the left button to change the hour, the right button to change the minute.
    Thanks HowardKY but I don't have a DISP button that I can find.
  • If the baldes are very delicate it would be no surprise that they might be bent from highway air flow etc....My 2000 GV 4x4 is having an issue with the condenser not turning; which the mechanic told me Suzuki posted a bulletin on the AC unit. I guess they are not making the AC units the same becasue of probs with the intake hoses and clamps. They are now using a two hose system? I haven't found the bulletin yet to read up on it but at this point I am hestitant to bring it to the dealership. I took it in last year for probs with the AC and they said that it needed a recharge ($120) then afte that still not working, they said it was a blown fuse....
    Now this year - the hoses/clamps are bad because of poor design.
    So it going to be approx. $1000 to be cool...In CT, I do a lot a driving for my job and sometime have to take it on dirt roads....Summers get pretty hot here.
    So I guess I will have to replace it. Anyone else with similar AC probs?

By the way - for tires - I recommend Falkin ZE-512.....
  • hi fritzz,

I too have a Vitara with similar oil leaks, the Vitara i have is a 92' 1600cc, i have dropped the entire front axle to replace the sump gasket (which is the liquid type) thinking that was the issue... but the oil leak slowly came back... so i took it to a shop where they took out the engine and changed all the seals. It has now been back to the mechanic three times, and he is stumped. All i basically wanted to know was if you have had any luck since this post. I will endevour to search the web for people who have had similar issues and i will inform you on any progress,

cheers
  • fayebellfayebell Posts: 2
    I have an '01 Grand Vitara and when I start it smoke billows out of the exhaust pipe. I took it to a Vitara dealer. They said the seals needed changing and it was a big job removing the top of the motor. I took it to an independent repairman, he told me the same thing. He replaced the seals cheaper than the dealer and it is still smoking. I took it back and he replaced the guides. It is still smoking. Does anyone have a clue as to how this problem can be fixed????
  • fayebellfayebell Posts: 2
    did you ever get your clock set?
    Fayebell
  • sookiesookie Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Vitara Limited Edition and it's a special car, so special we can't locate the spark plugs to change them? Anyone find theirs? Somebody please help me???!!!
    I had to get some work done - So I asked the dealer to set it. I still don't know how tho. Thanks...
  • robbo2robbo2 Posts: 1
    can anyone out there show me the light and tell me how on earth the top comes down on this thing!!bought witout a handbook(duh!) and im too dumb to figure it out!!i can lift the front quarter and the rear window comes out brave n handy,but the middle,important section is thrownig me for 5!!!help!!oh n wheres the bonnet release catch!!
    :blush:
  • harold3harold3 Posts: 6
    Anyone experiencing hot starting problems or cut out when hot. Go to Tracker forum and check message#1090
  • sambatsambat Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Grand Vitara V6 which has done 44,000 miles and is a bit of a "rock and roller" on the road. I am not sure if this is normal as I have had the vehicle a few months.
    I would be interested to know if anyone has done any suspension mods to their GV in order to make it more stable and handle better on road.
    (UK)
  • Has anyone had problems with the diesel combustion system needing to be replaced at the first and second service of 7,000km and 15,000km (5,000 and 10,000 miles)

I appear to be having the liquid in this sytem contaminated by a blue/green liquid which in turn corrodes the insides of the system.
  • pnurplecpnurplec Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 grand vitara that I bought new. The transmission and the AC unit had to be replaced around 30,000 miles. I had to fight with Suzuki to get them to cover the cost as the warranty had just expired (0f course). :mad:
  • pnurplecpnurplec Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 suzuki grand vitara and last dec i also rear ended a mini van going about 40 mph. My airbag did not deploy either but the front of my car was badly damaged. The transmission and AC were destroyed and the engine moved forward '3 inches' and it took nearly 2 months to get my car back from the body shop bc 'suzuki parts are hard to get'. BTW, while my car had to be towed, the mini van drove away with minimal damage. :sick:
  • I just bought a barely used 2002 Vitara from Saturn and I've been driving it around and I tried to put on the cruise control, but it doesn't seem to work [either that or I just don't know how to do it]. So how do you do it? Thank you so much! :o)

-- Mary Catherine
  • Press and Hold the up/down keys in the lower right corner. If I remember rightly Up is the hour change and down is minutes.
  • I just bought one and i cant get the bl**dy roof down either!!!! The bonnet catch is in the glove box .

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • hello im over in EN-GER-LAND
    IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET HOLD OF THE WASHER JETS FRONT AND REAR AND ALSO APETROL FLAP AS MINE IS RUSTING THRU

CAN ANYONE HELP
    THANX
    :cry: MARC
  • alexb2alexb2 Posts: 1
    RE GRAND VITARA V6 99' AUTO - I AM EXPERIENCING A SMALL NOISE INTERMITTENT WHEN MOVING OFF FROM START OR AT ABOUT 30 MPH 2OOO REVS - SOUNDS LIKE GEARS / PRESSURE MAYBE ?THE GARAGE HAS TOLD ME IT IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IT COULD BE THE HEAT SHIELD WHICH CAN EASILY BE SORTED ANY VIEWS?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,013
    Welcome to Edmunds.com Forums!

In the future, please refrain from posting in all capital letters. It's difficult to read and appears a though you are SHOUTING.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• beno_jxbeno_jx Posts: 1
    hey all... im 16 and i have a 89 model vitara soft top and ive had some engine work done...ive had my block and head decked, a 25 65 cam put in, a holley and a new cold air induction...my car is punchin out a compression ratio of about 9:1(new standrd wrx's are 10:1)...im installing a new 2 1/4 inch exhaust with a 3 inch tip and im in the middle of my already $2000 stereo install :) the only problem with the high compression means i cant run a turbo or supercharger...the colour is a custom bright orange which looks hot...im hoping to put it on the dyno in the near future...i am also removing the front drive shafts and diff...pics coming soon i hope

peace out all...happy drivin
  • lucerolucero Posts: 1
    i own a 1995 suzuki vitara. there's a new "noise" I noticed under the hood. it seems to come from somewhere on the left side (facing the engine, and the exhaust pipe on the right). probably the box where the air intake meets the manifols. it's like a "whirr" of a small motor. thanks for any advise/comment
  • Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to change the valve stem oil seals on a V-6 Grand Vitara (1999) without removing the heads?
  • hi,guys from england :) ,i have just brought a grand vitara 2.0 diesiel which is 2 years old,i have not got a manual for it yet as the garage i brought it from dont have any in stock.
    i was wondering what is the button that is by the auto gear box lever with the words HEAT on for ??? it also lights up when you press it,i dont know what it does can someone let me know please :blush:
    Thanks Micky
  • We just picked up a 'new to us' vitara and I have been unable to figure out how to set the clock - your information on how to set the clock is much appreciated!!
  • I recently bought a 2001 vitara jx complete with a soft top. I have since picked up a hard top that comes with a rear defroster on the rear window. The wiring harness from the hard top seems like it should connect in the rear corner of the passenger side but there is no matching harness on the car. Does anyone have any experience connecting up to this harness and is it easy to locate under the trim??

Thanks!