Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ram1500 Experiences

2»

Comments

• richram123richram123 Posts: 35
    Hello rammers,

Anyone notice the fan roaring when the a/c is on and you accellerate? I only have noticed this 2 times when I was accelerating fron a stop on a 100 degree day. (360 V8 auto tranny Ram1500 4x4)

Thanks in advance
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    just your fan clutch kicking in. The A/C makes it come more often, putting more heat thru the radiator. You just happened to step on the gas when it was locked in, and as your engine revved, you heard it roar. Normal.
  • Thanks for the info
    You are right.

Rich
  • ssoperssoper Posts: 2
    While test driving various '99 Dodge Ram 1500's (4x4) both 5.2L and 5.9L, I noticed some of the trucks had significantly more fan noise (Roar) than others. Does anyone know what would cause the difference in the noise levels? Could the Fan Clutch be engaged continuously?
  • I have a few questions for the Ram owners left in this forum. First off, how is acceleration, and more importantly fuel economy, specifically with the 5.2 (318) and 5.9 (360) engines? And is this thing as mulish of a handler as it is rumored to be? And last, even though all of you seem to have had some kind of mechanical or technical failure in your Ram, would you still rate it as reliable?
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    Lots of Ram drivers on my block. They love their trucks. They even have a secret club where they take turns picking each other up at the dealer when they have problems with their trucks. Between oil leaks, transmission problems, a/c malfunctions (this is Houston and it is hotter than hell, you are dead without A/C) and general problems with squeaks and rattles. They stick to the creed that the Ram looks better than any other truck on the market. One guy even admitted he would rather be seen broken down on the side of the road in his shinny black Ram than be seen in a sissy ford F-150. Be careful what you ask for - his Ram broke down on I-45 within two weeks and had to be towed in to the dealer because of an electrical problem. Buy what ever you want but over all the Ram will be less reliable and more important the dealer network Dodge has will be harder to work with than any other make. In the final analysis the dealer makes or breaks the overall ownership experience of any truck you buy.
  • ladyblueladyblue Posts: 326
    To answer some of your questions, I can only compare my Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L to my previous truck, an F150 4x4 4.6L.

Acceleration is not as quick or jumpy as the Ford, but still more than adequate. The Ford was sometimes too quick, causing me to chirp the tires at stop signs. The Dodge has plenty of power and shifts smoothly going up long hills.

Fuel economy in the Ram is not as good as it was in the Ford, but I attribute this to the slightly bigger engine in the Ram.

As far as handling, both are easy to handle, with the ride in the Ford being less bumpy. The Dodge has a stiffer suspension, but this makes it actually easier to handle off-road than the Ford.

I have had no mechanical problems with my Ram so far, but I've only got less than 7000 miles on it. I also had no problems with the F150 over the two years I had it.

Hope this helped a little.

ladyblue
    Community Leader/SUV Conference
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    21,000 miles on my black 1500 4X4 quad cab 5.9 liter dodge. Not a single problem. Somebody is not doing something right in Houston - like scheduled maintainence or a bad dealership.
  • Thanks for all of the responses. Fortunately, dealer problems would not be a problem for me. My Aunt is one of the Regional service reps for DC in our area. Any problems, they get reported. Some of you might want to do likewise if it gets bad enough
  • New Ram styling had me kind of puzzled when I first saw a spy shot in the Motor Trend in '93 but when the Club Cab finally came out I was sold. I wanted to wait another year untill 96 to make sure all the bugs were out and also so I can save up enough for a down payment but the day finally came. I had a front shock break, but my wife hit a nice pothole to cause that, and the dealer fixed that. It was fine for a couple of years and after hauling a pallet of grass which was way to heavy for my 1500, I discoverd a rear window leak. The dealer fixed that. It now has 48000 miles on it and it has been the best vehicle period, I've ever owned. Yes the dealership accounts for alot of your feelings about a car but the car itself has to be good to. I rescently dumped my Ford Excrement I mean my Ford Expedition and got my wife an Altima. This was steeming from a bad dealer expierence as well as a poor vehicle. I will not go into to much detail but that was the worst vehicle I ever owned. 1997 Expedition 4X4 with the 5.4 just to put it out there. I have talked to many service advisors and they say the tranny problems with the Rams steem from miss use from the owners. I can see that because I am guilty of that on occassion. My truck has been a god sent and cannot see myself with any other truck. I drive a 1997 F-150 as a company truck and it too is not quality, that is why I ordered a Dodge Ram for my next one here soon. Now its just up to the brass to see how much pull I have. In the south your truck is your life, and mine is just fine. Brakes to wear faster on big trucks like these because of their size. Ask any full size owner and they will tell you about it. But that is no reason to knock the Dodge, they all do that. My only suggestion to Ram owners is to remove the air filter and get a K&N as soon as possible and you should opt for the complete filtercharger system, belive me it works well with the 5.2. I get 21-24 MPG on the interstate since making this change. Ram owners and potential Ram owners, dont be afraid, you have a good truck and will last you a long time. Ouch on the 30K service but the small price to pay to maintain a vehicle, and what is up with the timing belt. A chain would be nice, but whatever, Its still a good truck.
  • What does it cost for the complete filtercharger system? Is it easy to install?
    jcmdie

how can scheduled maintenance or a dealership cause electrical or A/C probs? Transmission problems, yes, can come from bad maintenance; but how has Dodge had the worst transmission reliability this decade? a bunch of irresponsible owners? No. they're just less reliable. You can look those stats up in several places. I've seen them in Carpoint, Consumer Reports, and a dedicated auotmotive transmission website (can't remember address right now) all cited early Dodge tranny failures. The website claimed Dodge tranny's to average 50K, Ford ~100K, and GM ~130-150K.

At 21000 miles, you don't have much out of your truck yet. Besides, I've been pulling a 4000 lb boat, and other heavier loads with a 1/2 ton Chevy with an automatic and NO tow package for 5 years and 95K miles with no probs whatsoever. But, I know that won't convince you that Chevy's are the best to tow with... ;)
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    Scheduled maintainence on the transmission allows it to last as it was designed much like changing the oil in your engine. The comment regarding the dealership referred to not getting problems resolved the first time in the shop. Many of the posts regarding trucks not holding up have to do with repeated visits to the dealership (not getting the problem resolved the first time in).
    thats my point. Dodge's latest history shows no matter what maintenance you do to it, good or bad, the tranny's just don't hold up the same life as comparable Ford or Dodges.

Hopefully they've made changes to the '98/'99 models that have corrected that. We won't know for another year or so....
  • bamsambamsam Posts: 1
    looking for , d350 5.9cummings diseal repair munual to cover up to a 1992 dodge ram picktruck
  • info in Dodge Ram - II (Topic #865).

Bonnie Rick
    Town Hall Community Manager, Edmunds.com
2»
This discussion has been closed.