Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    I will be picking up my 02 Desert Sand Sonata GLS with ABS & Moonroof today, Saturday April 27, 02. I will give feedback in the future. Looking forward to joining the Hyundai Family and hopefully will be a satisfied owner. Just for the record, I live in Connecticut.
  • drimpledrimple Posts: 47
    I have a 2000 Sonata GLS with the wonderful light moss color that is no longer available. I bought it in March of 2000. So far I have put 35,000 miles on it without any major problems. You both will love this car!
  • denp3denp3 Posts: 99
    As i said on April 27th that I would give feedback. So far I am quite impressed with my Desert Sand GLS Sonata. This is my first import. I have had several new American Made cars. At this time I am impressed with the craftsmanship. This is the first new car that after 2 weeks I did not find any imperfections. All parts seem to fit accurately and trim pieces have no discoloration like some of my previously owned American made cars. Hopefully it will stand up well. I have only 450 miles on it so far, I hope the gas consumption will improve as it breaks in.
  • frohlingfrohling Posts: 8
    Has anyone been able to increase their Horse Power or Torque with any mods. If so please let us know what you did to get the increase and what kind of parts were us as well as where they can be purchased. Thanks in advance:)
  • In regards to post 36, Frohling, I bought a K&N Fliter charger and oil filter set. They are race spec and the air filter adds a little horsepower. I've used them before in different cars and had good results. The oil filter is really nice and is made of metal so it can take some abuse.

More information can be seen at:

http://www.knfilters.com

But you can take the part numbers to Autozone and they will order it for you. That's a little more expensive. I bought my stuff online at:

http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilters/start?kn

for a lot cheaper and didn't have to pay for shipping.

Here are the part numbers for the air and oil filters:

Sonata 2.4L L4 F/I K&N Air Filter 33-2188 All

Sonata 2.7L V6 F/I K&N Air Filter 33-2188 All

Sonata 2.4L L4 F/I K&N Oil Filter HP-1004 All

Sonata 2.7L V6 F/I K&N Oil Filter HP-1004 All

Granted the HP increase maybe 2 or 3 HP but every little bit helps. Plus you never have to replace the air filter. Just take it out every 30k miles, wash it off, apply some special oil to it and put it back in.

Now if you feel really froggy, check out:

http://www.hdkautosport.com/ and click on the webstore link.

Here's some more interesting stuff:

http://www.sharkracing.com/Hyundai/sonata.shtml

I hope this helps.

• frohlingfrohling Posts: 8
    Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunatly those sites offer almost nothing for the Sonata 2.5 which I have or the new 2.7 V6. There is a K&N air intake filter, but as for the HDK or Shark Racing they do not offer any superchargers, turbo's or catbacks. There is one new addition though at HDK for the 2.7 for performance exhaust. That of course leaves me and my 2.5 out in the cold or dust of someone else's car. I guess I'll have to find different alternatives, like dual exhaust with the K&N solution with performance spark plugs. Maybe I'll get 10 more HP. For those with the the 2.7 Tib or Sonata try HDK for their new exhaust manifold with the K&N airfilter + dual exhaust and performance plugs. This should realize a strong boost. This is my un-proffesional opinion. If anyone has some thoughts or ideas about boosting my 2.5 please let me know. Thanks again defiant for the effort it is appreciated when someone takes the time to reply.
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    I own a 1999 Sonata GLS-V6.

Thing is loaded minus ABS.

I am about 2 days from hitting 80,000 miules in uder 3 years of ownership.
    the only "big" problem I had was a few months ago.
    I had to have a "gas tank valve" replaced, but the cost was high...alittle over $300.
    ( If I had waited 3 more days, which I could have, and went elsewhere, at another Hyundai dealership, I could have saved about $100).
    The CD player is also KO'd, but the casette deck works along with the radio.
    Our fault; it was messing up under warranty, but waited too long. It died out last summer at 63,000 miles.
    (Note: Have owned 2 Nissans and Both had cassette players, both died. One died at 8000 miles, and replaced free, the other took 6 years to die).
    Good car, though.
  • lknepperlknepper Posts: 2
    I finally took the plunge about two and a half weeks ago and bought a silver 2002 Sonata LX. It's a really beauty and definitely a head turner. I'm very pleased with it for the most part, but the automatic transmission is not as smooth as I'd like when changing between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th (and back). From what I've read, the fuzzy logic computer that controls the transmission is supposed to need a little bit of "learning" time. I've got about 600 miles on it now and hope it's going to be done with its education pretty soon.

Today it's in getting solar film put on, a must down here in Florida and especially with the dark interior. If the silver had been available with a medium gray interior, that would have been great, but Hyundai isn't exactly Burger King where you can have it your way - if you want a silver Sonata LX, then you must want a black interior, right? This brings me to a question... Has anyone found a source for sheepskin seat covers that fit well on the Sonata front seats and don't cost as much as the car itself?

Thanks,

Laurie
    Merritt Island, Florida
  • hendrix4hendrix4 Posts: 1
    Hi, my name is Tim I live in Rapid City SD and have a 2000 GLS/V-6 with 24K of trouble free driving. It is dark blue and very sharp. I have been very impressed with my Sonata especially the power and ride. I recently took a 800 mile road trip and the Sonata "cruised" at 85mph and I got 27 MPG. We don't have a Hyundai dealership in Rapid City but the local Oldsmobile dealership is selling lots of Hyundai program cars in an effort to obtain a Hyundai lot. The Nissan dealership has been great at performing basic maintenence and any warranty work that should arise.
  • sonatavasonatava Posts: 75
    I haven't checked my warranty card lately, but I think the CD/stereo was only warrantied for 3yrs/36K
  • Hello all,
    I'm Bryan S. from the San Francisco area. I just purchased a 2002 Slate Grey Sonata LX with ABS/Traction Control and moonroof package for $18,500 plus tax and license.

I'm delighted. This car is luxury, styling and performance at discount prices. It's a smooth ride with a luxurious interior. The 5 year warranty is also reassuring.

My only concern is less horsepower than Hyundai reported in their specs. The Sonata sports 170 horsepower, instead of the 181 Hyundai reports. Does anyone know what Hyundai is doing to address this issue. There no doubt will be a class-action lawsuit, and Hyundai will have to settle with us 2002 owners.
  • I guess I'm a little late in getting to this site, but better late than never? My white pearl 2001 GLS V6 Sonata (with sunroof) is just about a year and a half old. Been loving it since day one! I traded in my 1992 Accord Ex due to a broken air conditioner/compressor. (Second time) I have over 26,000 miles and have only done oil changes and tire rotations. I did the (simple) air bag recall repair a few months ago. I am considering a more thorough "tune-up" at my next oil change next month. Just wanted to let you 2002 owners (LOVE the new style!!!!) that the 2001's are holding up GREAT!! Am considering a mini van, but I'm not thrilled with the KIA. I wonder if Hyundai will come with their own name??
  • Hi to all. First time Hyundai owner. Took delivery March 14, 2002 of a Sonata LX silver with moon roof, deflector, mats and mud guards, list of $20095. Bought for $18700 from a dealer in central Florida. They have not had a LX in stock for the 3 month i was looking. They come in and are sold the next day. Looks of the car is what sold me along with all the extras for the price. Traded a Camry, hope i"m not sorry. The dealer(salesman I delt with was super.) By the way, my name is Bob.
  • I just bought a 2003 Sonata LX and absolutely love it. Just came back from a 600 mile trup through the Pennsylvania Amish country and then up to the Poconos, the car performed flawlessly and did everything I asked it to do. Good mileage too. The V-6 had great get up and go and
    I felt that it had very good power. I thought Hyundais were junkers but several friends owned them and had been driving them for years. After my research at JD powers and Edmunds, I decided to go look at them. I absolutely fell in love and got the color that I wanted - Desert Sand with beige leather interior, ABS and traction control, moon roof and shiftronic to name a few things. I had previously driven Chryslers since
    1989 and have had problems with these cars that I won't mention here. I just found out that Hyundai is a major Korean conglomerate, the Honda
    of Korea, only bigger. I just love this car.
    Bob
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    The term "conglomerate" in the case of Hyundai includes bridges, sports stadiums, ships, shipping, railroads, railroad locomotives, heavy construction equipment, robotics, consumer electronics, turbines, dams, and jet aircraft engines. And, from the news several weeks ago and culminating yesterday ("today" in Korea) of Hyundai Group's CEO's apparent suicide who was under indictment for bribing North Korean head honcho with several-hundred-million dollar payoffs for the privilege of landing construction contracts to build railroads, industrial complexes, and a resort in the country of the avowed enemy of his own country and the U.S. Honda concentrates on cars, ORVs, motorcycles and bikes, corporate jet aircraft engines, and small aircooled utility/gardening engines. I share your enthusiasm for the Sonata's quality and performance, but, I'm now tempering it with the knowledge that we buyers are inadvertently helping to support a regime that's hell-bent to acquire WMDs while a prominent South Korean family acquires ever more wealth by illegally dealing with its country's enemy. As for yesterday's apparent suicide - dead men tell no tales, in or out of court.
  • dani24dani24 Posts: 9
    Hi everyone, my name is Danielle. I live across the bay from San Francisco.

After spending months researching to buy a new car I went from the VW Jetta, to the Honda Civic, to finally deciding on the Hyundai Sonata.

I got the Sonata GLS in Slate Gray with pkg 5 (sunroof, ABS w/ traction control) and the trunk cargo net. I paid $16,658 (with the $2000 rebate).

I decided against the Jetta because it was too pricey and I read it had too many problems. I decided against the Civic because it was too vanilla, and everyone had one.

I chose the Sonata because it is different. Not everyone has one. Plus, it kind of looks like a Mercedes/Jaguar mix. It's like owning an expensive car but only paying pennies for it. And as long as my car lives up to my expectations (few problems, great ride, last's me a long time) I'll feel like even more of a winner than I already do. Hyundai wasn't kidding when they said buying one is a "win-win" deal.
  • jwbeanjwbean Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a Sonata GLS 2004 (first-time owner), but would like some confirmation from others that fit, adjustability, and visibility are compatible with a 5'1" person. I've been driving a 1988 Honda Accord LXI for all these years --it's great on all those accounts. Any short people out there who can advise me on the Sonata GLS? Thanks.
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    Well, at 5' 11 1/2" I'm not exactly short, but... The Sonata's seats are height adjustable (whether manual or power), so you'll probably find them "up" to your needs. The steering column is likewise height adjustable (though no fore and aft adjustment). If you haven't sat in one at the showroom, you really should before you sign on the bottom line for any make you're considering.
  • dani24dani24 Posts: 9
    I'm 5'3" and fit well in the Sonata. My boyfriend, who is 6'2" has enough headroom, and is okay with legroom. But, for my height/size, the Sonata seems to be a good size. I can see out the window, I can reach the pedals, and I feel comfortable.

But, I would suggest going down to a dealership, getting in the car, and seeing for yourself. You may have a longer/shorter torso, or legs than I do, and that may make a different in personal fit.
  • 238000238000 Posts: 48
    I JUST RAED THE CLUB MEMBERS COMMENTS. DID YOU EVER BUY THE 02 SONATA AND HOW IS IT DOING? LAST YEAR JUNE 03 I BOUGHT A 2003 SONATA AND HAVE 16,800 MILES ON IT DESERT SAND AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. HAVE DRIVEN CONNECTICUT TO NEW ORLEANS AND THEN TO FLORIDA AND MANY OTHER PLACES. IT RAN FLAWLESSLY, AND I HAVE A GREAT FEELING OF CONFIDENCE AFTER 9 YEARS WITH A CHRYSLER LEBARON ON WHICH A WHEEL FELL OFF, THE ENGINE QUITTING, ETC. WITH THE SONATA I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY AND FEEL VERY SAFE WITH SIDE AIRBAGS,,ETC.
  • 238000238000 Posts: 48
    I JUST RAED THE CLUB MEMBERS COMMENTS. DID YOU EVER BUY THE 02 SONATA AND HOW IS IT DOING? LAST YEAR JUNE 03 I BOUGHT A 2003 SONATA AND HAVE 16,800 MILES ON IT DESERT SAND AND ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. HAVE DRIVEN CONNECTICUT TO NEW ORLEANS AND THEN TO FLORIDA AND MANY OTHER PLACES. IT RAN FLAWLESSLY, AND I HAVE A GREAT FEELING OF CONFIDENCE AFTER 9 YEARS WITH A CHRYSLER LEBARON ON WHICH A WHEEL FELL OFF, THE ENGINE QUITTING, ETC. WITH THE SONATA I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY AND FEEL VERY SAFE WITH SIDE AIRBAGS,,ETC.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Welcome to the Town Hall! Glad you're enjoying your Sonata.

Just one request...please do not use all capital letters. It is difficult to read and makes it look like you're SHOUTING. ;-)

Thanks for your cooperation!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dann_candann_can Bethel Island, CAPosts: 6
    After reading through some of the postings I took note of automatic transmission problems. This past week similar experiences occured twice for me. The difference was that my car's hesitation and grab was from first to second in full automatic mode while taking off from a stop sign. Not on the freeway at speed. Purchased new on October 20th., '04 LX. I have less than 600 miles. I have an appointment for this Friday morning for a couple of due bill items and will have them make note and check out. Any others out there with similar experience. Dealer's rebuttal?
  • Hi,

My name is Jessica and I just purchased a 2004 Hyundai Sonata and I absolutely love it! I am hoping to connect with other owners to share experiences!
  • sven1sven1 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My name is Sven and I own a new 2004 Sonata (2.4L/Manual Transmission) that I bought last September. It looks like most of you drive the sonata in the sunshine. Well I just want to let you know that it performes just as well in the snow and we have a lot of that up here in Duluth, Minnesota.
    I hope to exchange some experience with some of the members about this great car.
  • banditboybanditboy Posts: 54
    Been here for a while actually 3 years i think

I drive a 2000 GLS / Pkg11 .I have 80k on the car now.Recently i had the bearing .,speed sensor and brakes done other than that the car has been a pleasure to own.

I am from boston and this car sees alot of snow/salt and stones on I95 and tows my motorcycle when i take it to the loudon race track with no problem
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Can't believe I've had my '00 GLS V6 with 5-speed manual and Pkg 13 (ABS, sunroof, leather) for 63,000 miles and 5 great years. Mostly troublefree. Nothing major. Just had the right rear control arms replaced under warranty. Was glad I got the extra 1 year warranty extension due to the engine horsepower settlement. Even used the $25 settlement money to pay for recent oil change. Great car that has been very, very good to me.
  • ciras3ciras3 Posts: 16
    So far so good with my new Sonata. There are only a couple of things I have noticed that I wish were designed a little different. First, the coolant gauge is pretty useless since it only has a C on the bottom and an H on top. I'm used to seeing numbers associated with a coolant gauge so I can see an actual temperature range from 140-220 degrees. The next item is the readout on the stereo not showing the volume when I play a CD... all it does is show what track is playing.. kind of stupid not to show me the volume level. The last thing I've noticed is the humongous arrows for the turn signal indicators.. are those green arrows big or what ? It would look better with a simple plain green dot or a smaller arrow. I'm sure I'll find some other things that I find could have been designed a little different. Any others on the list have things that they think are designed poorly with their Sonata ?
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    ciras3, good luck with your new Sonata. I got a GLS SV on 4/13 and am completely happy with it. Flew to Naples, FL to pick it up because CT dealer wanted $1500 more before tax. (my parents live in Naples so I had no lodging expense & got to visit with them for a couple days as a bonus.) Price, including $1500 rebate, at the time, was $17826 out the door. But upon returning to CT, it did cost an extra $90 to complete CT DMV requirements. Trip home was 1365 miles. Dealer said I didn't have to worry about 50 MPH as long as I kept the rev's low. Driving with the cruise set at 70 for most of the way I averaged just under 28 MPG. The ride was quite comfortable and enjoyable. I also bought ($30), in addition to the above price, side window vents so I can crack the window(s) when it is raining. That's because I smoke cigarettes and windshiled wipers tend to channel rain into a car when the driver window is not closed. My last 3 cars, all bought new were '71 Volvo 1800E, '84 Chrysler New Yorker & '91 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. All had temp guages, but all just showed H or C, none showed actual temperature. If you haven't already, you'll soon get used to the normal operating range. RE: volume indicator, I'm a bit hard of hearing (at age 56) so I just set the volume to a "hearable" comfortable level. So far, I can't complain about anything with this car. The dealer in Naples was great. Gave him the highest marks on the Hyundai survey (anything less than the best is considered a negative by Hyundai). If my first 2400 miles are any indication, I'll be please with this car for years to come.
  • ciras3ciras3 Posts: 16
    My last 3 cars, all bought new were '71 Volvo 1800E, '84 Chrysler New Yorker & '91 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible. All had temp guages, but all just showed H or C, none showed actual temperature
    I dunno.. all of my other GM vehicles I've owned previously have showed the actual number for the temperature....

I did notice one other annoying thing tonight while I was driving my car (first time in the dark) The cruise control buttons on the side of the steering wheel could lite up. They are really hard to read in the dark. I suppose once I've driven the car for a while I'll know exactly what they are for, but for now it was a real pain trying to set the cruise on the freeway without being able to see the letters. I really am overall pleased with my new Sonata, just noticing the little things that could be designed differently than I'm used to.
This discussion has been closed.