Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• xfshhxfshh Posts: 26
    The parking lots I was at are level ground without wind.

What I did was to back up my car and get it out of the parking lot. However, the key was just at the "on" position, i.e., the engine was not on. Here were the procedures:

Stepped on the brake, shiftted the gear to "R", released the brake -> the car started to roll back

after a while, stepped on the brake again to shift the gear to "D" to adjust the direction of the car. Gear was at "D". Here it came: the car kept rolling back and brake didn't work.

Some of you think I should take it back to the dealer. What do you suggest I ask the dealer for? Say they test it and the same thing happens. I ask them to change a car (because it is just this particular car has the problem)? Ask for a refund because all Sonata has this problem (design problem)?

Thanks.
  • 2002slt2002slt Posts: 228
    The parking lots I was at are level ground without wind.

What I did was to back up my car and get it out of the parking lot. However, the key was just at the "on" position, i.e., the engine was not on.

Maybe you have a hybrid Sonata. ;)

If it's not running and on flat ground, how could it possibly move from a dead stop? Were you in a bar's parking lot? :D
    It's not a hybrid.

It's not running and on flat ground. In my post I said I shifted the gear from a dead stop. BTW, I'm not drunk. I tried this for several times.
    I'll ask again... What makes you believe it can defy the laws of physics?

You have to be on a hill, or it couldn't move from a dead stop? It's as simple as that.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    One thing to remember about most parking lots--even though they may look flat, they do have to have some slope to them to provide for adequate runoff/drainage. If it is a large enough lot, the slope may not be readily apparent but it is there and will cause a car to roll if it is not in park or braked. ;)
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    I keep wondering if you put a rolling object on this same "level" parking spot, if it would roll backwards as well. And I keep thinking to myself, yes it would. It's just impossible for a car with no running engine to make itself move by being put into "rear gear" without some sort of external force. In this case, gravity.
    Also the same thing should happen if you just put it into neutral. I don't think you're drunk, you're tricked by optical illusions of level ground. Almost nothing is actually level unless precisely measured against the earth's horizontal plane. And you've never said if you tried the same test anywhere else at all. It would be so easy to prove or disprove things with a few other simple tests using the scientific method, but all we get are the same thing over and over.
    This is definitely a magic car, it can move without any engine output backwards and backwards only :) Hyundai should advertise the ability to move without gas. :P
    And you've never said if you tried the same test anywhere else at all,

I have tried it at 3 different parking lotS (level ground). I definitely don't want to try it on the road.

I agree that this shouldn't happen based on the law of physics. That's why I am asking. The ground may be a little bit tilted for drainage. But this tiny slope can cause the rolling backward (The action of shift makes it move)? Even the gear is at "D"? And at the same time, pressing on the brake couldn't stop it!!! Any problem for the design? :confuse:

The key question is: Do you have the same problem if you follow the procedures in my post of #2529? Is this a common problem or not? So, please try it several times and report your results here. Thank you!

If it is not the problem of my particular car, what do you suggest to do? Return it and get the money back?
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Number 1, with a new car like this.. you shouldn't be having any problems, much less something as bizarre as this. I would suggest if possible ask the service manager or a mechanic go with you to this location, and show them the problem. Also, the fact of smelling something burning may very well have something to do with it. Whatever the case, it sounds like a problem for the dealer to deal with, as many here have already mentioned. They may also want to try to see if they can duplicate the problem at their shop first, which would be normal, just mention your having run into it several times, and also about the burning smell.. Some of today's electronics can mess up in the weirdest ways imaginable. Good luck with it. Most of us here have never encountered this type of problem ourselves apparently. Furthermore, you may ask the service manager to specifically address the ignition switch, as you are operating it. Sometimes with new equipment we all are victims of operator error, although it would seem you have that under control. I personally wouldn't think this is anything near normal at all. Hyundai does seem to check into a lot of the complaints that some other dealers may "sluff off", at least the better dealers. Oh, something else, does the car perform OK otherwise, in normal types of operations, etc..???
    van
    Do you have the same problem if you follow the procedures in my post of #2529? Is this a common problem or not?

Ok, I was bored.

At the great risk of running through the back of my garage, I went ahead and tried this anyway. However, I did not experience the same unprovoked inertia as you report. I was able to stick my foot out of the door and push it backward an inch, or two, though. It appears that you have something special there. :shades:
    Thanks. I live in WI and bought the car in Chicago. So I was hoping not to go to the dealer that far. Looks like I should at least ask the service manager on the phone and maybe drive down there.

The car runs pretty well in normal types of operations - quiet, smoth, good suspension, easy to access to the A/C, radio buttons etc., feels like a little too light while operating at 60-65mph (but I can take it). The only concern right now is the dysfunction of the "D" and brake when the key is at "on".
  • wanna_azzywanna_azzy Posts: 41
    I think we have a VERY inexperienced driver here, glad I don't live or drive in WI. ;)
    I'm a good driver that's why I want to figure it out. If you are SO experienced and good, why you couldn't contribute to solving this problem???
    Thank you for trying and reporting!

Did you put your key at "on" or "acce"? If your key was at "acce", everything is O.K. The problem happens when the key is at the "on" position. Shift the gears to "R" and then "D".
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    If you take it to a dealer you can take it to one close by you. You are not obligated to return to the selling dealer. Good luck.
    I see. Thank you.
    Yep actually that reminds me, always find yourself an awesome trustworthy service manager who will actually listen to problems and try to fix them. Don't bother going to any dealer with a crappy service guy. Hunt and poke all the ones around your area is my recommendation.
    It was in the "On" position. I didn't turn it past that to "Start", though.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    This discussion is unbelievably ill-informed.

The ignition "on" position is only designed for when the engine has been started. "On" means the engine and all systems are "on" assuming the operator knew enough to engage the starter. Accessory is for listening to the radio when the car is not running. "Acc" does not allow for turning the steering wheel.

Steering wheels do not unlock unless the ignition is "on." This is a safety feature (required by the gov't I think).

No car should be attempted to be moved unless the engine is running and all systems of the car are therefore operational.

Almost any paved surface has some degree of pitch to it. My garage, which by definition has a roof and 4 walls, has a very slight pitch in the floor. (Back in '89, I screwed up and left the auto tranny in drive when I removed the key from the ignition. The car rolled out of the garage. This was an '88 Chrysler which stickered for $20K in 1987.) Auto trannies due to the non-direct connection can go in either direction, when the engine is not running and the shifter has been changed from "park."
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,951
    If you would have read the thread closely nearly all of the points you just made have already been addressed.

Also, I don't know about you but I have had to move vehicles by hand many times in my 40 years of driving either because they wouldn't start or a dead battery. While it isn't ideal and one has to be careful, to say that it should not be attempted is a personal opinion. I brought up the difference in the key positions and just explained it a little different than you did. Someone else mentioned that nearly every parking area has some slope. So I really don't see where you can say that the conversation is "unbelievably ill-informed".

Steering wheels do not unlock unless the ignition is "on." This is a safety feature (required by the gov't I think).

He said the key was in the "on" position.