Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Just curious, as I have that same car with 56k miles and the power and FE seem pretty good still... how many miles are on your car?
  • atallatall Posts: 7
    I have only 54K miles on my car. Everything else seems quite clean. Just the power & mileage is lot less than optimal.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Posts: 139
    I have the same car, but 2006 with approx. 45k miles. Hwy only, I average about 28-30mpg with 2 adults and traveling approx 70mph. City varies considerably, depending on weather conditions also. I would say between 16-22 mpg, all depending on snow, warm up, traffic and traffic lights etc.. Overall lifetime I have about 20-21 mpg. I've gotten as little as 13 mpg in the winter, between the stop and go, warming up the car and any tirespin (very little with the traction control). I've also gotten as much as 35 mpg on the hwy with the hills and wind in my favor. Something to check that will improve mpg is the tire inflation. As for wires and plugs, I have yet to touch them. Air filter is a K & N and cleaned out yearly. Motor oil I recently changed to synthetic. Every oil change I also add in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. I stick to regular gas, no premiums. What kind of mpg readings are you getting?
    Just a thought... try changing the plugs only first. Spark plug wires should last longer than 54k miles. Plugs don't cost much, and they are due for replacement at 60k anyway. Wires cost more.
    As for the plugs, there's lots of options. Originals are iridium so you might want to go that route, they aren't very expensive. Here's one online source for plugs that I found by googling on "2007 Hyundai Sonata spark plug":

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1433546&parttype=7212- &partkey=272220&a=FRc1433546k272220-903868
  • Hi seeklinge,

I have 2006 Sonata......recently I started facing the exact same problem as you have described. I was just wondering if you could find any solution to this problem. When this happens I unplug couple of fuse and start again. But I am not quite sure how to fix this problem. I would be of great help if you could let me know if there is any solution to this problem.

regards
  • Dear Ravi
    Not yet. I still have no solution. Yesterday I found a new mechanical service that told me that they were able to solve the problem trough an exhaustive diagnosis of all systems involved, anyway expensive and slow.
    When I have news I will inform you. Wish me luck ¡¡
    Regards
  • gayle13gayle13 Posts: 1
    My 2006 Hyundai Sonata has had a noisy engine since soon after I purchased it new. We thought it might be valves at first. Dealer claimed not to hear it. Finally at 55K the dealer addressed by replacing timing tensioners. Noise was a bit less, but has gotten worse and worse again over last several months. Loud "put-put" when accelerating around 20-30 mph, especially on a slight grade. Lasts many minutes, not seconds, but seems to go away as get to higher speeds.
    So maybe it really was valves? Would this be a warranty issue or not?
    Any thoughts on whether timing could be off again, problem with chain itself, or something else?
    Thanks!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    Hard to hear a noise on the internet, so I'd just be guessing. A timing chain will generally only make noise when slack or when the engine is loafing...so on hard acceleration, not the chain. You could have an exhaust leak perhaps?
  • federale46federale46 Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    my 2010 sonata has been at the dealer for a week now because I can't put gas in it. Dealer replaced canister, valve, and gas tank, and it still will not take fuel. What can they do after that
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    Never heard of that problem before. Was the car ever in an accident? Sounds like the filler tube is constricted. Dealer going after the canister, valve and gas tank seems like a good idea. If the overflow is kinked or blocked would that cause a vaccuum block also?
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Did they check to make sure the fuel neck was free of blockage? That's pretty much the only thing left that I would think is causing the problem.
    The dealer was informed by the Hyundai technical support people of a check valve that they were unaware of. Once the check valve was replaced, they were able to fuel the car without difficulty. Unfortunately, the fuel level sensor in the gas tank was damaged through all this work, and it won't be fixed until tomorrow afternoon. I will be so happy to get my car back. I wonder if this fueling problem is general, or is confined to Hyundais. Thank you for your input. :)
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Glad to hear they've got the problem corrected.
    Thanks! I picked up my car today and I was happy to have it back.
  • I just bought a 2004 Sonata GLS 2 days ago. The air vent controls were working/changing properly. As of yesterday, the air blows only through the top vents onto the windshield (with or without the AC on). I push the buttons to change air flow to dash or floor vents, the lights light up on the buttons but the air flow does not change?
  • pekelopdpekelopd Posts: 139
    perhaps some connections came loose. I know on one of my previous older cars, vaccuum tubes came into play. On more modern cars, it might be a bad switch or some other connection, possibly electrical. Feel brave enough to take apart the center console?
  • masipalmmasipalm Posts: 3
    I have a Hyundai Sonata model 2003 and the drivers door is stuck, won´t open from the inside or the outside, and to repair it i think i have to remove the inner door panel which seems impossible to remove when you can´t open the door, its design i think to take it of while the door are open.. :S any suggestion how to do this ?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    I don't know that I can offer any real help, but I would like to know exactly how the door is stuck. Is it stuck closed because the handle mechanism has failed? Or is it literally "stuck"; i.e. parts are rusted shut/the rubber trim won't release, etc.?

If the handle/lock mechanism is broken, then you could also try a "manual open" by essentially breaking in to the car using a slim jim or other tool that a locksmith (or car thief) would use to unlock a car from the outside.

From the inside, you might be able to remove the arm rest or other parts of the door panel. It depends on the car and I'm not sure about Sonatas of that vintage, but on some (generally older) cars the arm rest was a separate piece and would be removed to expose one or more of the screws that held the door panel in place. The rest of the screws/clips are probably along the bottom of the panel; that's where they've been in my limited experience. To access those, you do need to get the door open.

If the arm rest isn't removable there may be other panel pieces that unscrew/can be pried off (like a plastic insert) to expose the panel screws. Of course, if they're also using screws along the bottom it might not really help a lot.

You might also check with local junk yards to see if a replacement panel is readily available. If so, and the price is cheap, you can attack your current panel & rip it to shreds to gain access.
  • masipalmmasipalm Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply, I can lock and unlock the car with the key, but when i try to open using the door handle on the inside or the outside, i can feel there is no resistance, like some wires or cables have disconnect that controls the locking mechanism. The door panel is in one piece :( I have thought about it to attack the panel and rip it to shreds :) Thanks for a quick answer :) dose someone here know about any repair manual for sonata online for free ? :P