Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I was having some minor intermittent problems with the keyless entry system on my '02 Sonata, 4-cylinder, so I decided to try buying a new key fob and programming it myself. I have the instructions that I received from the person I bought the fob from, but I'm still having some trouble.

I've found the Central Locking Signal Control Module behind the climate control panel in the dash, and there's supposedly a "set/off" toggle switch on the Module, but I haven't been able to find it from feeling around with my hand. Does anybody know anything more about the programming process for my car? Can anyone give me a hint as so where I would find the "set/off" toggle switch?

Thanks for any help!
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    How did you remove the vertical console fascia piece? My '03 Sonata Shop Manual only states to pry it off with a screwdriver blade, but I have no idea how or where to apply pressure without damaging the dash padding and/or the fascia piece, itself.
  • It was actually really easy... I opened up the ashtray and started prying it off at the bottom, and then i worked my way up. It came off quite easily, and there was no damage. I've taken it off twice now.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    Thanks. Was this just with finger pressure or did you need some "help"?
  • I got our car back from Hyundai last week and it seemed to run fine with no check engine light on. The very next day, in traffic no less, the car started bucking and sputtering and then finally died, man was I pissed, and of course the service department wasn't open on saturday. We finally managed to get the car home with it running like crap. I run a code scan on it and it turns to be a crankshaft position sensor, no parts place has these in stock so I am waiting for that to come in. It almost seems as if Hyundai is sabotaging our car. Anyone else had this problem. :cry:
  • Just curious if anyone is using Bosch plugs in a Hyundai? I just had a pretty bad experience with a dealer because I had installed Bosch plugs. They said that Bosch plugs were never to be used in a Hyundai as they caused misfiring. (It turns out my problem was a bad plug wire, but they insisted on changing the brand new Bosch platinum plugs I had just installed with theirs for $340) Other Hyundai dealers I've contacted tell me the same thing, but I can't find any independent mechanic that's ever heard of such a problem. I've contacted Bosch and they tell me it's hogwash. Anyone familiar with Bosch plugs causing a problem in Hyundais? Thanks.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Not familiar with Bosch Plugs in a Hyundai, but they were a problem with my '71 Volvo which I bought new. Haven't used them in any car since.
  • Did you programmed Hyunday Sonata 2002 keyless remote?
    Please send instructions.
    Ben
    bfrenkel@comcast.net
  • I am having the same problem with my 2001 Sonata. Did you ever find out where the sensor was to replace it.
  • Sorry it took me so long to reply. I used a flat head screwdriver, and had no trouble taking it off.
  • Still trying to get the right instructions. The instructions I got said to remove the radio/climate control bezel, and on the left-hand side, kind of behind the ashtray, is a black box. There is a switch on the box that should be in the "off" position, then turn on the ignition. Wait 5 seconds, then flip the switch to the "set" position and press the LOCK button on the remote you want to program. Flip the switch on the box to the "off" position again, and you're all set. My only problem is that I can't find the set/off switch on the box. If you have any luck, please let me know!!
  • Not yet. We bought the sensor and got the tech at the dealership to tell me it was an easy job. But when I went to pick up the part the techs were to busy to show me.

If I find out I will let you know.
  • If your fog lights are the same as my 2002 Sonata, which I'm sure they are, then your need to get underneath the car, and remove a plastic cover with 2 screws, unscrew the fog light and replace the bulb. If you can't get the screws undone, the just pull it down like I had to, it is somewhat flexible. The number for the bulb is 9006. There is a new generic bulb at Auto Zone for $7.99. Hope this helps. :)
  • NOPE i'm sick of that car they changed sensors, plugs, wires, filters, MAF, and still the dumb [non-permissible content removed] cant find the problem but me i have to pay. I'm getting another car i've had it with Hyundai going back to American car or Honda and that's it. Sorry but enough is enough. In the mean time if anyone find the problem let me know. :lemon: :mad:

Ben
  • Recently, a computer revealed that my crank sensor is not working. My car exceeded warranty and this job costs about $300, but the part itself costs just $85.

Does anyone with a knowledge of Hyundai engines know how difficult this job really is? I know a mechanic in my neighborhood who would charge less, but I doubt he has much experience with Hyundai... is changing a crank sensor really complex or fairly simple?

FYI: the car has 78,000 miles. It recently started getting stuck at 3,000 RPMs (Check Engine was NOT on). I took it to the dealership and did a transmission fluid change maintenence, and a couple days later the car is running far worse and the check engine light is on.
  • Does anybody know where the amplifier for the 2006 Sonata LX (with 6-CD Changer, Subwoofer, and Amplifier) is located?

Thanks.
  • I recently chenaged my crank sensor on my 2001 Sonata, actually I have a new one unopened in its box, I had to order two because the first one took a week to get here, so I overnighted the other one.
    Mine is a V6 and it was not fun to change, it is located beside the front exhaust manifold. I removed the two electric fans and the hook for engine removal so I had a little more room, a few skinned nuckles later and it was installed.
    Good luck, Dave.
  • vsg1vsg1 Posts: 5
    sonata gold 2003 4 cyl, done 50,000 trouble free k.m's, stalled suddenly on the highway, wouldnt start,towed to a local garage, to find out Timing belt by BANDO without teeth but belt intact, residue of the belt cracked the crank sensor,sensor replaced, had to replace all belts as a precautionary practice,removed one engine foundation to access the sensor, timing marks on both the cam pulleys aligned with the master marks,both ignition coils replaced, re-assembled,now the engine starts,fires perfectly but ONLY NOW creates a HUMMING/VIBRATION between 2500 & 4000 R.P.M., CAN ANY ONE THROW SOME LIGHT HERE, thank you.
  • Dave,
    What's the brand/price of your extra crank sensor? If you're interested, I may be able to take it off your hands...

Dmitry
  • Just a reminder, buying/selling is not permitted in the Forums.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager