Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I also own a 2000 sonata GLS that the check engine light is on and it has the same symtoms as described in item 54. It runs rough, small back fires and also down shifts to lower gear, sometimes extremely rough. The dealer replaced the timing belt and said crank sensor was ok, also replaced plugs and plug wires, and number two fuel injector. Need help please. Any solutions will be appreciated.
  • Am I the only one with the sound of a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk. only happens when tank is 3/4 to full. Most pronounced at low speeds and stop/start conditions.
  • I have been chasing a secondary thumping in the trunk area after going over a bump. Have not noticed your symptom but have seen some early posts on your issue. When did you take delivery on your 06 Sonata LX? Just wondering if there were some corrections made by the factory on the fly.
  • It almost sounds like the baffles which should be in the gas tank to prevent the sloshing sound of gas were left out of some tanks.

I would make sure that the exhaust pipe is not hitting the under carriage at some point. I had this on a new VW GTI and when I would go over certain kinds of pavement bumps it would bang in the trunk area. Simple bracket change fixed it.
  • Delivered in August. Told by Hyundai that it is a "normal" noise. If no one else has it I guess it's not normal.
  • jeffcjeffc Posts: 16
    No, I also have those sounds when I fill up the gas tank. Once tank gets down to 3/4, the sound goes away.Only at slow speeds, braking, etc.

I wonder if they will repair this at some point? I've bought 5 Hyundai's, maybe they will do it to keep me happy!!!

Love the car (06 GLS-V6), not sure why some feel it is a bland exterior, I think it is one of the best looking cars out there, but i guess everyone has their own tastes.I do wish the dash would flow down into the console, that would be the one thing that would improve the interior....
  • cxccxc Posts: 122
    I heard the same kind of sounds that you are discussing here for 2006 Sonata LX when its gas tank is almost filled up. I do not consider it is a problem. Lexus ES300 and Honda Odyssey EX have the same type of sounds after their gas tanks are filled up. The sound from Honda Odyssey EX is much louder. I simply ignored it.
  • I just bought a 2006 Sonata LX (like yesterday), and am generally happy with it, but I noticed that it doesn't automatically lock the doors once you put it in drive. I checked the owner's manual, and on page 7 it says some Sonatas have this feature, i.e. "if installed". It's not on my window sticker, and I can't find it on the Hyundai website. My dealer pleads ignorance. Does anybody know if this feature is standard on the LX, or how I could go about finding out if my car has this?
    Thanks!

P.S. I haven't noticed any problems with excess vibration or noise, and in fact I find it quieter than my 2005 Sienna. So, whoever got told "that's how this car is" is being given the runaround...
  • Is this Ray from the "old" Hyunda site? If so this is Phil with the XG. Please drop me a note.
    Thanks
  • zen2zen2 Posts: 226
    I just got my quick start guide for my Sonata in the
    mail. It says the car has automatic door locks,
    but they must be activated by the dealer.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    This was discussed some time ago.

I think there are 3 different speeds at which you can choose the locking speed (this is why the factory doesn't activate this feature). Dealers are supposed to activate this feature at your desired speed choice when they sell you the car. DO NOT pay the dealer anything, or feel that he did you a big favor, to do what he is supposed to do as part of selling the car.
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    It only says "can be activated at speed above 25 mph..."
    Does anybody really want this feature activated, since the driver can control all Windows and doors? What if there is an emergency like falling in a lake/river, or trying to get out in an accident?
    IMO Driver's controls are more than enough!
    Check again. I think the speed options were something like 8, 12 or 15 mph.

If Sen Kennedy should happen to be driving you :) , you should be able to open the doors from the inside even when they were automatically locked upon reaching the set speed.

The doors on my prior car automatically locked at 10 mph and could be opend from the inside. Some cars lock as soon as the car is put into gear.
    Check again. I think the speed options were something like 8, 12 or 15 mph.

I just got by Mail a "Sonata Quick Reference Guide" from Hyundai; and that is all it says! Period!

"Automatic Door Locking:
    Your Hyundai is equipped with a feature that will automatically lock all the doors when driving above 25 mph. See your dealer to activate this feature."
  • Thanks for the tip--I called the dealer back, and suddenly the service guy had a recovered memory of doing this sort of thing before...(Hmmm). Anyway, I'm supposed to take it in tomorrow, and I'll find out what the activation speed is.
  • Per TSB 05-90-006, the Auto Door Lock Feature is programmable from 20 km/h (12 mph) to 40 km/h (25 mph), in 5 km/h (~3 mph) increments.
    Post # 1821 in the Sonata 2006+ forum has more information about this feature.
  • vsg1vsg1 Posts: 5
    It's impossible to procure Spare Parts for my Sonata here in India as HYUNDAI & their dealers follow a MONOPLY-stic policy of not selling parts to a genuine customer, they insist on bringing in the vehicle to their workshop, so they can Strip you to your bones, There should be an International Law for these auto mfrs. forcing them to supply spare parts atleast for a period of 10 years from the date of mfr., to any tom, dick & harry who walks upto the spare counter with his owners manual/service booklet, all who agree should write into Hyundai at whatever level they can...thank you for your patience...HYUNDAI IF U R LISTENING, DO SOMETHING for crying out loud...........thanks
  • Love the car also-my 4th Hyundai-never had this problem with any other car before. Hope they do come up with a fix.
    There should be an International Law for these auto mfrs.
    It has nothing to do with Auto Manufaturers... It is the country's responsibility to prevent monopolistic practices.
    Here in the US they used to require cars to be Serviced by dealers...but they outlawed that requirement; even though most people still take their cars there, to be stripped to the bones!