Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Do both your Sonatas do it? Your problem is one of the reasons I always get the V-6 if possible - lots less vibration all around. And mileage isn't much different. It's gonna take so much energy to move that much weight, any way you produce it in a similar power plant.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    As you probably know there are a zillion sensors tied to the engine management computer and transmission management computer. Usually if there is a momentary or longer term glitch the computer will log a code that can be read and decoded by the service personnel. This being the case it is impossible to do a long distance diagnosis. However, in spite of a failute to determine a cause on two occasions your dealer is still the best equipped to find the problem. This car obviously has a problem that has yet to be found so equating it to an old Toyota isn't fair. I have a 200K mile Stratus that also starts on the first try but if something in the starting circuit or a critical sensor fails with it...well, it won't start either. It is a matter of being persistant and being lucky (having it at dealer at the right time) and sooner or later the dealer will find something. Still I assume you left it at the dealer so they could try to start it after the required 2 hours? Further, does it start on the second try or do you have to crank and crank??
  • Options
    johnlee5johnlee5 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your reply. I understand the cars nowadays run on more sensors than can be counted on both hands. :-)

I've left the car with the dealer overnight both times. In fact, when they changed the knock sensor this past week I left it with them for a couple of days. That's how they got the code to change the knock sensor. The morning after taking it out of the shop, the car did it again. :-(

So, I'm carrying a video camera with me at all times and recording every start so the technician can hear what's going on. Perhaps if they hear it enough, they can get a better assessment of the problem. In the meantime, I'm also collecting input from people who might have had similar problems so I can suggest a starting point for the technicians at the dealers. My car only has 33,000 miles so I still have quite a few miles left in the warranty.

Like all things, other than this one nagging problem, the car is great. :-)
    Again, thanks for your input.
  • Options
    sunkleepsunkleep Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 that has similar problems starting... sometimes it works, and sometimes not... I work in the computer industry and from my limited expertise with cars, I've come to realize that when the car doesn't start immediately, I recognize that the ignition/computer is telling the engine not to start. I have not been able to track a specific pattern -- this intermittent problem happens at various times (car sits for a while / or, even right after it's been running). For me, it's more prominent when the weather is colder (I live in Wisconsin). I've even had the car not start in the morning, then by noon, it starts immediately. I can tell when the engine is trying to start or when it's simply turning over (and not firing). I'll be watching this thread for more info... thanks.
  • Options
    braggonbraggon Member Posts: 8
    Check out http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ there are complaints listed on 1999-2002 models so far and more will prop up as they age. Everyone with the same problem should file a compaint and maybe a recall will get started before someone gets hurt.
  • Options
    norcal_lawnorcal_law Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06' Sonata V6 with 44k mi, and for the past month it's had a really annoying dash rattle or buzz. Comes from the passenger side, deep in the dash, toward the windshield, sounds like it's right under the headlight sensor area in back of the airbag. Some would call it a rattle, some would say it's a buzz. I have taken it to the dealer twice, they can hear the noise but can't determine where it's coming from. -And since I'm past 12k mi, I have to pay for each visit. I removed the glove box, cabin air filter, checked around in there and nothing is loose Vents are fine as well. What can it be? It's driving me nuts and I'm ready to trade this car in because of it, it's really loud!
  • Options
    wanna_azzywanna_azzy Member Posts: 41
    Why do you have to pay? Your car has a 5yr/60,000mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. If the dealer is charging you for problems within that warranty period, it would seem to me to be fraud. Check into it. I think the dealer is taking you for a ride. Good luck. :confuse:
  • Options
    norcal_lawnorcal_law Member Posts: 2
    It's actually in the fine print of the warranty, a rattle, squeak or noise is considered an "adjustment", and are only covered for the first 12 months or 12,000 miles.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    This is directly from the Hyundai web site about the 5yr/60K miles warranty:

Covers repair or replacement of any component manufactured or originally installed by Hyundai that is defective in material or factory workmanship, under normal use and maintenance.

Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:
    - Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles
    - Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles
    - Battery: 3 years / unlimited miles (100% covered 2 years / unlimited miles; after 2 years and within 3 years, 25% cost of battery and 100% labor cost covered)
    - Air Conditioner Refrigerant Charge: 1 year / unlimited miles
    - Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles
    - Wear Items: 1 year / 12,000 miles (e.g. belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses)

I don't see any fine print there.
  • Options
    So much for the 5/60000 bumper-to-bumper warranty. With all the "exceptions", they might as well give a "lifetime warranty on everything, with exceptions". Hope I don't need to use the warranty, as it sounds as though they can, or will try to, get out of about everything and anything. :(
  • Options
    I'm sure this is not common knowledge to most car buyers. I researched my purchase for several months, and was not aware of all the limitations of the warranty. Not a good selling point, IMO.
  • Options
    liuliu1128liuliu1128 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same situation as you this morning. When stop at a red traffice, it stalled. When I start again, it works fine. I sent to the dealer, they cannot find any problem. No wrong code shows up when do computer check. My car 2007, 13700miles. Did this issue come back again in your car? Do you have any clue right now? Thank you very much. Worry about so much.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    " Adjustments: 1 year / 12,000 miles " and a rattle is an adjustment. The 5/60 is for mechanical problems the way I read it.

It's not in fine print it is in full size print.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    What if the rattle is caused by a flaw in a part or a flaw in assembly? Then it's not an "adjustment", but a problem with the car.

I have taken my two Hyundais to the dealer (two different dealers actually) for squeaks/noises past 12 months/12k miles and they never refused to work on it nor charged for the service. They sometimes had a lot of trouble finding the problem, but they at least tried (sometimes multiple times), with no charge. I suggest this Sonata owner try a different dealer, one with a more service-oriented attitude.
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    A rattle is a defect not a adjustment. No adjustment that I know of thats needed under the dash. Rattles and squeaks are hard to find, thats why they don't want to deal with it.
  • Options
    No manufacturer will warranty "wear" items such as the ones noted in a previous post e.g. wiper blades, brake pads, clutch disk, etc. for more than an industry standard amount of time/mileage. It stands to reason that by definition they (brakes and clutch) wear every time they are used because they are designed to sacrifice their friction material in order to start/stop the car. Individual drivers can "ride" the brakes or clutch and render them worn out in an unusually short amount of time. I guess what I am trying to say is that no manufacturer can place a long iron clad warranty on something as fleeting as brake pads for example, especially since there are those of us who go through them on a regular basis (city stop-and-go...mountain drivers...the "speed up to a stop sign and slam them on" driver...and the careless who ride them. Use common sense and you will see my point. Hyundai has the best warranty going but even they cannot warranty items that are designed to wear out. Yes brakes are designed to wear out..!!
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    For the past year or so, the ABS-ESC off light would come on everyone once in a while so I went to the dealer to have it fixed.They changed the part and tested it out. everything was great for a few days. The light came on again this morning when I was parking...it has been raining in NY and I was braking a light hard..could the light be on because of my braking or should I contact the dealer about it?
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Do you have a good feel for what is considered an adjustment? Is it as it sounds.....some part just needs to be adjusted or moved in some way???
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    In the case of a dashboard rattle something moved or came lose that shouldn't have. This would be a manufacturing defect and not a normal adjustment due to wear such as tires or brakes etc. Dealer should repair this within the 5/60 warranty period.
  • Options
    flipur422flipur422 Member Posts: 1
    I complained about it & was told there is a recall on the windshield. They will fix it.
  • Options
    Backy,
    Maybe I read my warranty wrong. I know my local Hyundai dealer would tell me tuff luck. Guess what? The next nearest Hyundai dealer would be 220 miles east or 230 miles south. I agree that rattles and buzzes can be annoying but if they happen 36,000 miles into my ownership I would take care of them myself. Maybe I'm just lucky my car performs well. Knock on wood. :P
  • Options
    Well, there are some benefits of living in a metro area with several Hyundai dealers to choose from--and compete with each other. ;)
  • Options
    cace2002cace2002 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 Sonata GLS 6cyl w/ 104K miles. Just a couple of days ago my Hyundai service tech told about multiple cracks and rust in my subframe. The next day I called HMA and received a case number (3219606). File a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is next.
    HMA said the same thing as they told all others, " it's not covered". They referred me to Users Manual section#5 re: arbitration (which I have yet to read).
    What I would really like to know is: :confuse:
    (1) what is the e-mail address for HMA customer affairs?
    (2) what did people say to HMA to finally get their repairs covered by HMA?
    (3) How often did they write and what did you say each time (the same thing)?
    (4) is email acceptable communications and do they reply back?
    (4) what were the case numbers of the ones who had their repairs covered by HMA?
    (5) is there a class action lawsuit in motion anywhere?
    Please Advise :cry: ,
    Carl
  • Options
    gwdgwd Member Posts: 3
    My dealer gave me a required maintenance list for my Sonata and said I need to have the timing belt changed at 50,000 miles. I was talking to my Goodyear Dealer that does my regular maintenance on the vehicle and they looked up the timing belt and said their info showed my car has a timing chain. Do you know which is correct? I currently have 60,000 miles on the vehicle and am concerned that if it has a belt that it may break soon, but don't want to spend $500 to have it replaced if it is indeed a chain. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    You have a timing chain.
  • Options
    and you need to find a new dealer.
  • Options
    Thank you very much!! I can sleep tonight.
  • Options
    That does bother me a bit about the dealer. I am going to go in and talk with them and ask one more time to see what story they give me this time. This is the dealership I bought the car from and I really liked the salesperson!! Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    bozybozy Member Posts: 8
    Hi Carl,

I was also assigned a case number for the same type of situation with my car. The case number was 710170.
    I have a 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS. At the time of the discovery of the sub frame problem, the car had less than 100K miles but was well beyond the 5 year warranty limit. Therefore, HMA did nothing for me.
    Instead of paying the outrageous amount of the repair cost at a Hyundai dealer, I had my local mechanic make the repair for me at a lower cost.
    I'm very dissappointed :mad: with the Hyundai company and would hesitate to buy anything else from them or make any positive recommendations about their 'reputation'.
    If there is a class action law suit started on this ( which I think is a good idea ), I'd like to join in on this.
    Choose Hyundai if you like to drive a :lemon: !!!!!!
  • Options
    braggonbraggon Member Posts: 8
    I haven't found an email address, just kept calling the number from the manual. Hyundai did finally agree to pay for half the parts, they are fixing it this week and it's been there 3 weeks, so basically their giving me the parts at cost.

I never got anyone to call me back, just kept calling, and calling.

Everyone should file a complaint with the BBB and the NHTSA. www.nhtsa.gov. I think that's the best way to try to get a recall going. Also email your congressmen and senators, state and federal as they may be able to get something started.

If you haven't gotten it fixed yet take pictures before you do to help further the cause.">
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2006 Sonata GLS V6 32000 miles which I purchased new in Atlanta, Jul 2006, and imported to Canada at that time.(cold temperatures a factor ) I really like the car and have not experienced any problems until today, when an apparent glitch with door locks/anti-theft alarm system surfaced. Until now we didn't think we had the auto lock system feature installed/activated however today I started car to allow it to warm up while I finished loading trunk.... when I closed drivers door all of the doors locked and would not open using the electronic keyless entry and although I am not positive did not seem to open using the manual spare key, (not sure I tried door handle as nothing felt when turning key) Now the auto is running and locked while still parked in garage and although garage door is open I still have concerns with respect to carbon monoxide. I track down the "valet key" and was able to open the car with that. Immediate problem solved. I carry on with chores and discover that doors will not stay unlocked while driving nor parked with engine off, but lock themselves after 20 to 30 seconds. On return home I unlocked all the doors, parked car and shut off engine however as soon as I used trunk release in car the doors locked again.
    This is getting long however wanted to add that after doors self locked and I used key to manually unlock drivers door the anti theft alarm activated as soon as I opened the drivers door. I am thinking that I might be experiencing some intermittent problems with respect to interior lighting and park lights as well.
    Have not yet approached service but was curious as to whether anyone else out there had experienced similar problems.
  • Options
    neworder8neworder8 Member Posts: 3
    I felt it was my responsibility to logon here and post my experience - I found info here right away after the same problem was found with my car during the yearly inspection.

I have a 2002 Sonata which I absolutely love. I bought it about 16 months ago and have had very few problems with it save a rear brake cylinder that went bad - and was immediately repaired under warranty, and the paint on the rear drivers side door handle chipped off. I was given touch up for that at no charge. Ok, not too bad.

When I took it in to be inspected and returned to pick it up, the service person at Monro told me that they were shocked to see a huge hole rusted through the passenger side of the sub frame and they had to fail it. They had never seen anything like it on that young a car. Everything else they said was mint. Crazy.

I did some research, thanks very much to this site, and determined the problem was the same as the other posted here. I called my Hyundai dealer here in Pittsburgh (Cochran Hyundai on West Liberty Avenue) and took it in. They knew immediately what the problem was, I sat in the waiting area for about 30 minutes, and they came back to tell me that although the car was out of warranty both time wise and mileage wise (60,010) that Hyundai would be happy to repair it at no cost. I was so relieved.

They ordered the part. Over the weekend I got a ticket for an expired inspection. I called on Monday to see if the part was in. This was about one week. It was in, but they didn't have an opening to do the work until the following Monday. I explained that I'd gotten a ticket and it was urgent. They told me to drop off the car on Wednesday night and if they could, they would get it in on Thursday if there was any way that they could.

I picked up my car on Thursday evening with a bill for 20something dollars for the new inspection sticker and the labor charge to replace 2 bulbs. I wasn't charged for the bulbs. They could not have treated me any better. End of story.

I could not be happier with my car. The service that I have received from my dealer and Hyundai have been absolutely top notch. I will buy for myself, and recommend Hyundai to anyone.

Judging from the time it took to get an OK from Hyundai to cover this under warranty (30 minutes from walking in the door, with no questions asked) - I honestly believe that the problem lies with your dealer and not with Hyundai. How else could my guy make one quick phone call and boom - fixed - Under warranty?

I have found that apparently this problem arises from the incorrect placement of drain holes on the original subframe, and the typical rust area lies beneath the A/C compressor. So, you would think that this problem would be awfully widespread. Overall, the number of posts I've been able to hunt down have been few in relation to the number of 2000-2005 Sonatas on the road. I'm led to believe that there are more cases of it being repaired - as it should be - right off the bat by Hyundai than there are the horror stories that we're hearing about here.

I plan on writing a formal letter about the level of service that I received to Hyundai, and copying my dealer, the original inspection station, and heck I may even copy JD Powers and Assoc. for that matter.

I hope this post is some help to someone having this problem. If you have any questions that I might be able to answer for you, please send me an email.
  • Options
    These comments are being made without knowing anything about your driving climate i.e. the "rust belt" where salt is liberally used or some other detrimental environment to vehicles or what your personal maintainence habits are i.e. do you wash your car on a regular or semi regular basis? BUT I think it is absolutely unfair to label Hyundai as "lemons" in a blanket statement. That Hyundai upon seeing a trend (if there is one)of cracking/rusting subframes in certain year and model vehicles should,as a good-will gesture, repair or replace this item on a case by case basis but lets be honest here you and some others are driving 8 and 9 year old cars (yours is a 1999 and another is a 2000) with unknown (to those of us on this board) maintainence habits and driving environments. For all we know you could live in Rochester or Buffalo NY (possibly the salt use capital of the world) and never wash your car. There have been instances of suspension and sub frame problems (cracking and rust out) with other manufacturers as well. No, I do not know the disposition of those problems but I do know that I am offended by your "lemon" statement. Hyundai is a fine car and if you think you are having problems getting them to cover an "out of warranty" problem on a 9 year old car try getting "in warranty" work done on a Ford sometime.
  • Options
    You should start by reading your owners manual however, there may be several features in play here
    1. Hyundai has a feature that allows the the doors to re-lock if, for instance, you unlock them (using the remote fob) and for some reason don't open them within 30 seconds or so. The assumption is you didn't get into the car therefore it (the car security program) should relock them for security.
    2. Your car has a dealer activated "auto lock" feature that locks all the doors at a predetermined speed. If you bought this new you should have already been acquainted with it (if activated in your particular car).
    3. it is possible the battery in your key fob remote is weak not allowing it to function properly. And I seem to recall that if you lock the car with the fob and unlock it with a key the security system will activate...horn and flasing lights until you disable it.
    4. You actually have a problem with the security system module and should have the dealer evaluate your concerns.That will be your best bet, good luck
  • Options
    knsgeeknsgee Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for info I did read owners manual however never came across info with respect to doors auto relocking if unlocked with fob and than not opened. Just prior to reading your post I had tried that ie: unlocked with fob than opened passenger door and it seems to have stayed unlocked now. Perhaps it has been resolved.....hope so...and thanks again!
  • Options
    tstrick320tstrick320 Member Posts: 64
    Bozy,

I have to differ with you about Hyundai being a lemon. My wife drives a 2000 Sonata GLS (bought new) that suffered from the subframe rust problem and was declared "un-fixable". After a few calls to Hyundai Consumer Affairs over a period of 2 weeks, they agreed to repair our car at NO CHARGE.

The car had 94k miles on it and we live in NH where we have plenty of snow and salt. I think Hyundai might have reasonably refused my request for a repair. They didn't.

BTW, my other car is a 2006 Toyota Avalon and while it is an outstanding vehicle and Toyota has a great reputation for service, I really couldn't expect that they would do the same.

Will I buy another Hyundai? You bet. They went above and beyond to make this right. That's hard to find nowdays and is a relationship worth continuing.

--Tom
  • Options
    tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    I have tried to keep up with all the related posting about this issue. I have managed to help at least 11 people get reimbursed from Hyundai. You have to stay on top of them. It took me 4 months of email, faxes and phone calls. I have put my claim number in other entries. contact me at tntnknb@juno.com for any questions.
    Tom Baker Kansas City MO
  • Options
    tntbakertntbaker Member Posts: 22
    I have found cars with the same problem across the U.S. and Canada. They can make up any reason to blame this. The bottom line is that this is a bad design. It had no way to drain misture that was trapped inside the frame cavity. I Like my Sonata otherwise. I have help 11 people to date get reimbursed for this repair. I have been collecting this data for my own purpose.
    Hyundai should step up and admit this problem.
    It has been my experience that after the dealer and the district reps refuse to do anything and if you stay on top of them, Hyundai America will with no explanation reverse any prior decisions.

I have made it my own personal mission to find and help anyone with this same issue on 1999- 2001 vehicles
    Tom Baker
    Kansas City MO
    tntnknb@juno.com
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    I bought my 2007 Sonata Limited Limited V6 last summer and in the past 2 months I noticed a single tick or click sound when I select reverse from a stop. The sound source seems to come from either the front or rear at times and does not happen every time I select reverse. The car has less than 5K miles on it - so I am discounting any major issues like CV joints, axles or bearings.
    I know that a certain amount of noise from the gear engaging is normal, but I am not sure of this one. Maybe the noise was there from new and I did not notice as the stereo was on from the time I step into the car.

In addition, I do notice some dashboard creaks/rattles at times and I am working to fix it using some of the methods readers in this forum have discussed. Other than that the above issues, the car drives great with the gutsy V6 and is very comfortable for long trips.

I have not taken the car back for any warranty issues since new.

Do any of you folks notice the same sound in your Sonata?
  • Options
    dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    Has there been an aftermarket remote car starter installed?
  • Options
    dadof6dadof6 Member Posts: 61
    '07 Sonata GLS 48,000 miles with OE carpeted floor mats. I have a hole through, to the sheet metal, in the main carpet at the left most bottom corner of the drivers side left foot rest. Hyundai rep says it's corrosion & normal wear/tear. Didn't know carpet could corrode & I can't get my foot over that far if I tried. Car has been through 1 1/2 salty winters & gets the interior cleaned out about every 2 weeks.
    Anybody dealt with this?
  • Options
    vinny8841vinny8841 Member Posts: 1
    After replacing the battery on my 2002 Sonata my heater and radio quit working. The fuses have been checked and I was told that that isn't the problem. Unfortunately I live in a rural area and the local mechanics have all requested that I find the wiring schematics for the car. Any suggestions? does anyone else know what could be the problem?
  • Options
    Vinny,
    Try looking here www.hmaservice.com. You have to register and they will send you a password but all the info you need should be here (at least that's what I've heard). Good luck!
    Craig
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Try looking here www.hmaservice.com

They have revamped that site and renamed it.
    It is now http://www.hyundaitechinfo.com. You still need to register, unless you had a logon/password at the old address. If you did, that logon/password should work at the new site. ;)
  • Options
    majjrmajjr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Sonata that has become a huge money pit. First, the timing belt broke @ 45,000 miles, then my alternator went bad and had to get a new one. The brakes had problems after that, I had problems with the power windows and need new motors (2 for driver window, and 1 for window in back seat). The car constantly lost momentum while driving and now with no warning the engine blew. Still trying to figure out what caused this as the car has been well maintained (and yes, oil was in the motor). So now I have a 2001 broken car, that needs a new engine. I was fortunate and happened to be on a side street when the engine blew had it been five minutes later, I would have been on the interstate during rush hour traffic. Any one thinking of buying a 2001 hyundai Sonata should look at a differant vehicle. From the postings I've read, there seems to be many problems with this car.
  • Options
    Try again with someone who doesn't know anything about engines:
    1.the timing belt is a maintainence item and admittedly according to the schedule should be replaced @ 60K miles but I have found they last much longer than that if you care to take the chance. If it broke at 45K miles there may have been a warranty claim or at least a shot that Hyundai would repair damages due to premature failure. That said, if it broke your engine( being an "interference" type) would have suffered bent valves at the least and most likely damaged piston crowns where they collided with the valves and even bent connecting rods. This damage would have required extensive engine repairs. The engine would be done at this point unless you chose to repair it.
    2. Your alternator went bad? Welcome to the club bucky. I had alternators go bad on various Ford Taurus over the years. Ask any mechanic, they fail. Conversely, (knocking on wood) I currently own a 1995 Dodge Stratus that has 201,088 miles that has the original alternator. Also our son has a 2000 Elantra that recently had its original alternator fail @ 160K miles. You pays your money and takes your chance.
    3. Brake problems? what... like worn pads? warped rotors? worn rear shoes? if something other than those things like a master cylinder for instance you might have had unusual brake problems otherwise you experienced normal wear and normal replacements.
    4. power window motors? not unheard of but I'll give you that one since 3 motors IS unusual at 45K miles.
    5. That your "engine blew" sometime after the timing belt broke is a surprise to me too since it probably didn't survive the broken timing belt. There is a very, very slim chance that it did survive and if so damage incurred at that time finally caught up with you and it. Sorry I don't buy it.
  • Options
    majjrmajjr Member Posts: 2
    I am well aware of when the timing belt should be repaired. It was not covered by hyundai, and my father-in-law who is a mechanic repaired it. I have had several other cars in my life and not had as many problems with them as I have this one. As far as the engine blowing - I now have 80,000 miles and it blew - timing belt still intact no teeth missing - most of the rockers blew off. The 3 motors for the windows were quite excessive in my opinion as well. When a person buys a new car (40 miles on it when I purchased it in May 2001), you don't expect these things to happen. My ford escort never had these problems (timing belt lasted until 70,000 miles on it and alternator never went bad). I only list a few of the major issues I have had - Many problems with this car minor and major and I am talking about problems with the breaks other than pads and normal wear and tear. Also, this car was maintained very well, always taken in at the required times and oil changed frequently. According to this forum - I'm not the only person with issues. :lemon:
  • Options
    rustygutterrustygutter Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Sonata with 27k miles on it. It's the first new car I've ever purchased. A few months ago I noticed a couple of small spots where paint was starting to peel off the outside door handles. As the problem started getting worse I finally got around to taking it to the dealership; where I was told in no uncertain terms that they were not going to be able to help me (in any way) since I was almost 4 months out of (paint) warranty. According to what they told me, Hyundai's 3 year paint warranty was better than most. To say they were unhelpful is a gross understatement. So I called Hyundai and was told that they would consider my case and render a judgment on whether to cover the repair costs. Today I came home to an answering machine message saying that they were denying coverage.

I have several questions. Is this paint problem common on Hyundais? And are are all dealers/auto-makers so unhelpful when it comes to fixing problems like mine? Would I be better off buying something other than a Hyundai next time?
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    What color is you car?

My Sonata is an '05 also.

From time to time many manufacturers have had paint problems, usually limited to certain colors.
  • Options
    How long of a paint warranty would you like to have on your Sonata? Five years? Ten? Maybe lifetime?

I'm not sure what you mean by "lousy warranty support." The car is out of warranty for the problem you reported. It would have been a real nice gesture for Hyundai to give you special consideration and take care of the problem even though it's not covered by the warranty. But they are under no obligation to do so.

Maybe if you had taken the car in to the dealer a few months ago, when you first noticed the problem and the car was still under warranty, it would be taken care of by now?