Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Exactly.

"Oh, that's normal. Don't worry about it, and just turn the stereo up."

LOL.
  • slm1slm1 Posts: 28
    Hi Pruoff:
    I am glad you're back. I filed with the BBB, that was a waste of time and hope. I am so disgusted with Hyundai too. I am also writing a letter to the CEO, hopeing this may cause some action to get my car fixed. Let me know how it goes for you with BBB. I am so fed up I can hardly talk about my $15,000 dollar mistake anymore.
  • gibigibi Posts: 9
    Purchased new 06 Sonata. After 400 hundred miles car drifted to the left, Dealer aligned the front end twice with no solution found. They finally off set the camber, which eliminated most of the problem, but on the interstate or certain road surfaces it still wants to wander to the left.I have to hold the wheel to right to keep it between the lines. Any help or advise is appreciated.
  • tsingotsingo Posts: 3
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do feel the vibration of the engine at stop, but that is acceptable (comparable to other cars I drove). I hope a balancing will fix the problem. Will check it out with the dealer this week.
    Please post details of any repair your dealership does to fix your vibration problem. You would really be helping others out by doing so. What state do you live in and what car do you have. 4 cylinder gl or gls or v6? Also, my car (4 cylinder GL) only had a vibration in the steering wheel when I first bought it and many miles later (I'm at 5,000 now) I now have a vibration so bad I literally vibration in the seat, I have started to put the car in park at lights and traffic stops to release my foot from the brake and release my hands from the steering wheel to minimize my body from being subject to severe vibration. Guess what ~ Hyundai Corporation says this is how the car was designed! They are ripping people off and getting away with it.
  • joedirtjoedirt Posts: 36
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a new LX or GLS V6, but I'm a little bit nervous because of all the problems I am reading about.

I know resale will be pretty bad, but I'm willing to roll the dice on that since I plan on keeping this car for at least 6 or 7 years.

Have the problems with the new Sonata been prolific, or an expected level?

Also, how are Hyundai dealers and the company itself in terms of resolving problems?

Thanks.
  • pruoffpruoff Posts: 18
    I am one of the people complaining about the vibrations in my 2005 Sonata. I will never EVER buy another car from Hyundai. And my advice to you regarding even considering buying one is "Be afraid - be very, very afraid!"
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Pruoff,

While I feel sorry that you are having problems with your Sonata, yours seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I currently own an 04 Sonata LX (wife's car) and an 05 Tucson LX AWD and both have been rock-solid reliable vehicles that have not called for extra maintainence or repairs beyond their recommended services. As far as service, the dearship has been very good to us whenever either vehicle is in for routine service. For my part, I will and have recommended Hyundai products to friends and family when they are looking for new vehicles.

So for joedirt's benefit, I guess that means you can put me in the "will definitely buy another Hyundai" camp. ;)
    I will never buy another Hyundai, not only because of the problem I am having, but also because Hyundai has done nothing to solve the problem. No customer assistance what so ever. NO ATTEMPT TO FIX THE PROBLEM. Be careful!! My problem started after I left the lot and no one will help solve it. If as stated in the reply to Pruoff from Tenpin288 that it is isolated then why do they work so hard at ignoring the problem and acting like it does not exist. They should be trying everything to fix the car. Watch out Tenpin288, you may be in the same position too someday.
  • andraeandrae Posts: 18
    I bought my Sonata 2/23/06 and it's been great except for this annoying rear end noise. Today as I was removing some things from the trunk, I closed the lid and noticed that the license plate made some noise. I quickly disovered that the plate was loose and could possibly be the culprit of the rattling noises. I tightened the plate down and took the car for a ride. NO RATTLES!!! (so far).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • desertguydesertguy Posts: 730
    You have to take into consideration the nature of car boards in general. People who have problems with their cars post most often in hope of finding a kindred soul or even a solution to the problem. Those of us that have had NO problems seldom post saying how great the car is. This is true whether you read the Toyota board, Honda, etc. I have a Toyota Highlander as well and much of the posting on that board would make you think it had many problems when in fact it is one of the most problem free vehicles you can buy.
  • Has anyone had a problem with the belts slipping? I was driving my 2001 Sonata that has 69,000 miles and it sounded like one of the belts broke( had previously started squeeling) and then all of a sudden the car came to a slow stop. Everything was still running but the car. So I had it towed to the dealership and today they gave me the worst information. They say the timing belt didnt break it had a couple of teeth come off which made the belt slip and now my engine is locked up and will require a new one.. a new one is $4500 plus labor and a used one is $1500 plus labor ($3500 estimate) Since I was the 2nd owner and bought it at 29,000 miles in 2003 i'm pretty much screwed.. I still owe a significant amount of money on this car that now will not run... All the dealership could say is "did you buy a extended warrenty(no as the GM who sold it to me didnt offer it) and " it was recommended that you change the belt at 60,000 miles.. now who actually follows that to a T? I bought a hyundai since it suposedly was the best and had the best warranty.. I was tired of the american cars. As I look back my 99 dodge avenger with 110,000 miles and the prev 1992 Chevy Beretta with 189,000 miles wasnt so bad. :lemon:
  • skip000skip000 Posts: 13
    Hello Joedirt,I bought a beautiful Sonata LX last week and so far it runs flawlessly.I am very happy with it's silky smooth feel, and very quick acceleration. :)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Replacement of timing belt is crucial, regardless of car make.

In the early 90's Honda's were especially sensitive to the 60,000 mile mark, "according" to a mechanic friend. 60,000 meant 60, not 61,000. At the time, they were more sensitive to the milage interval than most other cars.

On a similar topic some time ago, someone stated that Accord's now have timing chains. Timing chains do need replacement eventually, but they don't suddenly "let go" the way a rubber belt can.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    If the Hyundai dealership you go to is not fixing your problem, then you should have raised the issue with Hyundai corporate. To my knowledge, HyundaiUSA is really good as far as customers satisfaction (loyalty within the top 5 last time I checked) is concerned. There are far worst automakers than Hyundai in this area.

Instead of dismissing a brand, just go to another dealership instead.
    Yeah, bhmr59 is right on...around 60-60k, timing belt should be checked and (most likely) need to be replaced).

Glad the Sonata uses a chain, which requires much less maintenance, if any :)
  • stockmanjoestockmanjoe Posts: 353
    Its only been a few months but I love my 2006 Sonata. I have an uncle that has a 2005 Sonata and loves it. It just sounds like some people are meant to have bad luck.
    Some posts here are indeed real problems (and as said, something that happens to all cars, and all brands); while others posts are here for whatever reasons they might be.

:)
  • sonotasonota Posts: 5
    WELL I HAVE A NEW 06 SONOTA LX WITH V6 AND THE OPTIONAL AMP AND SUBWOOFER WITH SUNROOF. ITS AT THE DEALERSHIP . HYUNDAI HAS SENT OUT A ENGINEER MY CAR GAS TANK SLOSHES THERE ARE NO BAFFLES IN THE TANK I WAS TOLD, AND THEY WANT TO BUY IT BACK BECAUSE IT MAKES A CLUNKING SOUND FROM THE PASSENGER REAR THAT THE ENGINEER DOES NOT KNOW WHY ? I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY WANT TO BUY IT BACK FROM ME .OF COURSE THEY WANT ME PURCHASE THE AZZERA. I AM REALLY STUPID WHY WOULD I PURCHASE THE AZZERA ITS NEW AND THEY HAVE TO WORK OUT ALL OF THE BUGS WITH IT. WHY DONT THEY JUST FIX THE DAMN CAR I HAVE NOW .DESIGN A GAS TANK WITH BAFFLES TO FIX THE FUEL FROM SLOSHING IN IT AND ISOLATE THE REAR END SUSPENSION NOISE WEATHER ITS A BUSHING OR A BUSTED SHOCK , JUST FIX IT AND GIVE ME BACK MY CAR. I AM IN THE AUTO BUSINESS, THIS CAR HAS DEVOLOPED A LOT OF LITTLE BUGS , BUT I LOVE IT . IT LOOKS GOOD AND RUNS LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL . NO I AM NOT GOING TO LET THEM BUY IT BACK JUST TO PUT ME IN ANOTHER PROBLEM CAR . THIS WAS MY SECOND HYUNDAI AND THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE.
  • joedirtjoedirt Posts: 36
    No offense meant, but I can't figure out if you're complaining or boasting about Hyundai???