Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    I don't think the EPA city rating is based upon anything resembling NYC stop & go traffic. In fact, that 17 mpg is good IMO.
  • Great board folks, this info is much appreciated. I'll be testing a few trims over the weekend, and will purchase next week. I'll let y'all know how it goes...hdsit and others with the problem, best of luck with your car(s), I hope it works out for you.

Cheers!
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    For reference purposes, do a wheel shimmy search on Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, etc. on Google, and you will see it's a common problem all on makes of cars.
  • My 2006 Sonata V-6 runs fine except I find that the tranny upshifts to 5th gear real fast compared to my 2002 Sonata V-6 (4speed auto). While driving in town below 30 mph it's already in 5th and I can't say the engine is labouring but I do notice that the car seems to be 'chugging' along; kind of as if you were driving on slightly oval shaped tires. If I slapstick the tranny down into 4th gear, it's fine with no more sensation of 'ovaling'. Above 30 mph the revs go up accordingly and everything smooths out and the car runs fine all the way up to speeds I don't wish to say. I briefly mentioned this situation to the service manager and it's a new one to him. Has anybody else felt this sensation at low speeds?
  • miamixtmiamixt Posts: 600
    The REprogramming of the 5 Speed A/T was disappointing, and they have yet to work out some of these Transmission issues. In fact, they might not be working on this issue at all? :mad: :cry: :confuse: :(
  • Have a 4 cyl AT 1999 with 80,000 miles and the air bag sensor icon on the dash came on yesterday and has stayed on. Anyone know what might be the cause. Is it something that needs immediate attention. Under 100,000 warranty? Possible repair costs ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
    Did a 1999 have the 100,000 mile warranty? If so, that warranty is for the drive train, not the whole car. The present whole car warranty is 5 yr/60,000 miles, don't know what it was for 1999's.

I suggest getting it checked at a dealer. It could be minor or major. The dealer should be able to give you an estimated cost to repair. You could always then check with local mechanics, depending on the problem, to see if it'll save you money by them fixing it rather than the dealer.
  • This was a common problem on my 1999 4 cyl with the auto transmission. I believe there was a recall for this issue some time between 2000 and 2003. If my memory is correct it was tied to a wiring harness issue. It happened so many times on my '99 that it almost became funny.
  • tle2tle2 Posts: 4
    Proud owner of 4 Elantras '4, '(2)05's, '06, and
    recently purchased a '07 Sonata LX 3.3L and have noticed at 1500 miles Upper Valve train engine noise at cold start-up for apx 2-3 seconds. Once the oil light goes off (2-3 sec) the engine is smooth and quite. I have concerns about the long term effects of what seems to be an oiling issue.
    Has anyone else experienced this.
  • tle2tle2 Posts: 4
    I just purchased an '07 Limited and notice the same noise, it is defenitely gas tank related. With a full tank until apx 3/4 tank the noise is noticable when slowing and stopping. I have found that the noise is not noticable if I fill the tank to 3/4 full. I will be checking to see what luck you have with a resolution.
    This seems like an isolated incident that should just be posted with other Sonata problems?. My proven 06 LX, also with 1500 miles makes no noise whatsoever?. Oh except that Engine growl when you punch it! :)
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    I noticed shortly after leasing my 06 Sonata last fall that the airbag warning stickers were kind of peeled at the edges. I didn't think much about it, but then in the past month they looked really bubbled up. Go figure that after getting the dealer to order new stickers, in the mail was a letter from Hyundai about a recall. Included were new stickers, which I promptly replaced the peeling ones in my car with. There were also pics of what the affected stickers look like. For all I know, they took pics of the ones in my car! ;)

Speaking of issues that could lead up to recalls, has anyone else had the latch on the center console of their 06 (and up) Sonata break off? Mine just suddenly felt loose one day, and then before I knew it, it broke free in my hands as I tried to push it back into place. The dealer could just replace the latch, but right now Hyundai is requiring them to replace the whole center console. Seems kind of silly to me, but I guess that's just their policy. Anyway, considering that the center console can fling open at just about any time (either surprising the driver and/or flinging contents all over the place), I wonder if this will become the next (minor) recall for the new Sonata. Hopefully mine is just an isolated case.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    )) "The dealer could just replace the latch, but right now Hyundai is requiring them to replace the whole center console. Seems kind of silly to me..." ((

Maybe the company became aware of a latch alignment issue that necessitates replacement of the entire center console. It's unusual for any automaker to go to extra expense unless it's necessary.
    Very curious. That type of noise isn't unusual with hydraulic lifters until they "pump up" with oil pressure after sitting through the night, but Hyundai went to non-adjustable, solid lifters in the company's new lambda series V6 engines used in the Azera and Sonata lines. Check your engine oil level in the morning before you start it just to be certain it's not low. Anywhere on the dipstick between the low and high marks when cold is OK. (Park on a level surface the night before so you get a true reading.) If everything's OK, take it in to the dealer for them to evaluate - no sense risking damage and having them alleging that you materially contributed to it - and make sure they start an invoice so you have a paper trail in case something develops later.
  • Problem was caused by a disconnected harnass under the driver's seat. Probable cause was sliding the seat forward and back depending on driver. Hope this info helps others to save a trip to service. ;)
  • de1029de1029 Posts: 52
    I need to replace the rear brake light. When I open the trunk I can see what appears to be a shied that covser or houses the rear light assembly. There is an identation at the top that looks like all you have to do is flip it open or pull it down and you would have access to the light housing assembly. Am I correct? Is this how one opens the light house to replace the rear brake light? Or the replacement something the mechanic has to do.
    Have you checked your owner's manual? ;) The one for my '03 Sonata goes into various bulb replacements in quite a bit of detail in the "Do-It-Yourself Maintenance" section toward the back, complete with nice illustrations. I'd be surprised if Hyundai omitted that consideration with the new models.
  • de1029de1029 Posts: 52
    Stupid me! First, I forgot to include the year in my post: 2000. Then, I didn't even think about the manual. I will check my manual and see if that solves my problem. Big Thanks. But, I would appreciate any other 2000 sonata owners responding with their experiences.
  • godorigodori Posts: 3
    I have same problem with my 06 Sonata LX. I just bought it last week as used car with 11K miles on it. I could not notice the problem during the test drive because engine was running right before.
    I found out it is making a loud clicking noise for couple second after start up next morning.
    I am 100% sure it is oil related issue. (oil not covering upper valve train fast enough) It does not happen again if I start the car again right away. But if I wait 15 to 30 minutes, enough time for engine oil on upper valve train to go down to pan, it happens again. I changed the engine oil to Mobil 1 (5W-20) and change the canister style oil filter to improve oil flow but it did not help a bit.
    I just took the car to dealership and I hope they can fix this problem. The service guy didn't think it was a serious problem. I do worry about long term damage like tle2 mentioned and it is also very embarrassing for me to drive less than a year old car making this kind of noise.
    I will post what happen at the dealer later.
    I went snooping around the HMAService website and found the following TSB:

Issue Date: 10/09/06; #06-20-002
    DESCRIPTION:
    An updated timing chain tensioner* is now available. This part may help reduce timing chain noise that may affect some vehicles during the inital 10 seconds of operation after prolonged storage.
    VEHICLES AFFECTED:
    • Model:
    • 2006-07 Azera 3.8L - Produced through July 4, 2006
    • 2007 Entourage 3.8L - Produced through June 26, 2006
    • 2007 Santa Fe 3.3L - Produced through August 4, 2006
    • 2006-07 Sonata 3.3L - Produced through August 4, 2006

*New Part No.: 24410-3C300
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 383
    I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the Leather seats in the Sonata? I only have 28,000 miles on mine which I bought new in 2003 and the driver's side seat back has a lot of cracking on the lower side near the door. Dealer said it is normal wear and when I call Hyundai's national customer assistance number they said they will not fix it. I put leather conditioner on the seats twice a year and I don't feel this should be happening on a car with 28,000 miles. I could see if the car had 70,000 miles on it. I am so disgusted with this situation that I don't believe that I will ever consider another Hyundai vehicle. Does anyone have any advice? Hyundai won't let me talk to anyone except a customer service representative and all they will give me is a P.O. box to send a letter if I want. What bothers me most of all is that I have been one of Hyundai's biggest cheerleaders and I love the newest vehicles they have come out with and yet they treat their customers like this. Just when they want to build sales. I definitely will tell everyone that will listen, not to buy this garbage. I guess a car manufacterer has to be desperate for customers like Lincoln Mercury. They never give me any problem when I have an issue with my Mountaineer. Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan will probably be my replacement choices when I get rid of this Sonata.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Posts: 698
    There is no sense of having a general "Hyundai Sonata: Problems & Solutions" board. We need to go by GENERATIONS, just as was done with the ACCORD. An owner of a 2006 Sonata would be totally uninterested in the problems of a 1997 Sonata, since those are 2 TOTALLY different cars.

The owners of the newer generation, 2006+ of the Sonata deserve their own board.

Just as the owners of any older generation of this car deserve to have their own.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    The way these discussions are going, one could start a discussion for "2003 Hyundai Sonata: Cracks in leather on back of driver's seat near the door".
    Well, I drop off my car first thing in the morning and call the dealer around 3pm. The service guy acknowledged the problem (nasty noise after start up) but he did not know what is wrong with the car. I went back after work around 5:30pm The service guy led me to the car which was on the lift. He showed me the oil pan. It was dented slightly upward like it went over something on the road. (couple of scratch marks on frame too)
    I notice the shape of oil pan was little different when I did oil change two days ago but I thought it was support to be like that to help drain the oil.
    Mechanic told me that intake tube for oil was right above the bottom of oil pan with a very little clearance. He suspects that dented bottom of oil pan is partially blocking the oil flow to the engine.
    They have to order the new oil pan and I will go ahead and let them change for little under $200 on Friday. (not cover by warranty and I could not argue about that)
    I think I can change it out but I want them to work on it just incase this is not the cause of problem.
    BTW the mechanic told me that all 2006 V6 sonata has some issue with noise right after ignition. He said he seen many normal cars with some degree of noise (like half second?) right after ignition. Is this ture?
    I will post final result after Friday. I hope my engine did not suffered any long term damage…
    I am trying to program a new remote for 2006 Sonata LX.
    Can anyone tell me that where is a central locking signal control unit is located and how to get to it?
    I do have instruction to program (seems very easy) but I don't want to take a part every where to find this thing.
    Thanks.
    Your auto insurance would probably cover this, if your deductible is low enough and if you want to file a claim.
    Who files a claim for $200 now a days?.
    Who files a claim for $200 now a days?.
    I filed one that was worth about $300 the other day--wife's van was keyed, all but $120 was covered under comprehensive insurance and it didn't affect our premiums. It was fast and easy. Why not?
    "Comprehensive" claims (fire, theft, vandalism, flyig or falling objects, etc) are not classified as "at fault" accidents as striking another object, even a curb or bump in the road would be.

That being said, many insurance companies are now using rating tiers in addition to accident points and many other things, including discounts for homeownership, good credit scores and on and on to arive at a final rate.

If you had caused a serious accident a few days ago you would not see any affect on your premium until your next renewal is issued. In some states, a six month policy cannot be up rated until the annual aniversary of the original policy.

Also be careful about the number of claims you file. Insurance companies would rather pay one $8,000 fluke accident claim than several $200 claims.

You previously posted that your son had a minor incident backing out of the garage. If that was claimed against your policy and you now filed a claim for the "keying" incident, that would make at least two claims within the last year. Most insurance companies use a 3 year look back. If you have any additional incidents (including traffic tickets) in the next two years or if you had other incidents within the last 3 years, you could be in for an unpleasant surprize 30 to 60 days before your next renewal date. Your policy could significantly increase in cost or your present company may inform you that they are not willing to renew your policy. After being "dropped" by one company, replacement coverage will likely cost much more.

If I were your agent and you called to tell me about a $300 keying incident, I would advise against filing a claim that would only net you $180 and could cost you hundreds, if not thousands (with a young driver), more per year for a couple of years. As an agent, that $180 wouldn't come out of my pocket but it could come out of your pocket many times over.