Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I was at red light two weeks ago after getting off the Interstate and the same thing happened. I had less than 600 miles on my 2008 Hyundai Sonata. They were not able to "duplicate the problem", as they call it, in the service dept. I have the General Manager involved at the dealership. I will keep everyone posted. Do you mind giving me more info on your situation??
  • Hi,
    I am also victim for this bad design of 1999 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6. I narrowly escaped from an accident because of this. My car's subframe broke and tire was almost dismantled from the axle while I was taking a turn into our apartment complex.
    The mechanics in our area said it unfixable. While searching in internet, I saw your comments regarding the same problem. I hope you will help me in this regard. My car as just 97K mileage. Please respond me how to proceed further, to get my car fixed.
    Thanks in advance.
    Sasi
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Although I am not an owner of an affected Hyundai vehicle I would suggest you read all the posts here pertaining to this "defect". You will find phone numbers to Hyundai USA and posters who have had a similar problem . You can follow up with them and gain information on the sequence of events you need to persue.
    While the damaged sub-frame is not repairable Hyundai (according to others here) has been replacing these on a case by case basis as a good-will gesture even though many of the vehicles are long out of any type of warranty and technically not Hyundai's responsibility to replace free of cost. Also, you can phone your local Hyundai dealer and order the part and have it replaced on your dime. This is going to be expensive and probably not worth the costs depending on the condition of your car.
  • Hi i have just bought 1995 sonata and had to replace starter i got it running but not on its on. And when i tried to restart it in wont crank up. what could be the problem? I have replaced plugs and it has new wires. battery is chrged and good. I just cant seem to figure it out. Does anyone have any ideas? If so i would greatly appreciate them.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    you meant to add the part about a quality filter. :surprise:
  • enricongenricong Posts: 7
    I've got a 2006 sonata GL. Recently, I looked at my driver's side, side-view mirror and noticed that the black plastic piece which is normally on the bottom of the mirror cover is missing. It must have gotten hit by a rock or something and fallen off.

Anyways, does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a cheap replacement?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Why buy one? The car is still under warranty, right? If so, take it to the dealer, tell them somehow the part fell off the car (they can't prove otherwise, right?), and have them replace it under warranty.

Now, of course this won't work if there's some damage to the rest of the mirror and it's clear something thwacked it pretty good, causing the mirror to break.
  • enricongenricong Posts: 7
    well there's a pretty light but pretty long scratch on the door right under the mirror.
    thats why I think a rock hit it or something.

I have to bring it in for some sort of recall so maybe I'll ask them about it.

I figured they wouldnt cover it, thats why I was looking into how much it might cost.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Posts: 139
    I have a 2006 LX I4 and had a bus rip off the entire passenger side mirror. It cost me $300 to replace the entire unit (dealer item only) with matching paint for the top half. This was done by a local shop that was referred by my auto insurance so that the work is guaranteed for life. Unfortunately, my deductible was $500, so I had to "eat it"
  • My 08 sonata is less than a week old, Today the Left turn signal started blinking really fast with less sound than when it blinks normally. After the turn, I tried couple of times and it was still this way. After about a mile of driving, when I tried again, the turn signal seems fine.

If it happens again, i will take it to the dealer....

Any ideas ? what this might be, Has anyone had a similar issue...
  • eclarkeclark Posts: 12
    On other autos I have seen this when either the front or rear turn signal bulb is not working. This condition will cause a fast blinking indicator on the instrument cluster. Next time it happens get outside the car in a safe location and verify front and rear lights are blinking. If not then you can suspect a bad connection of bulb to socket, bad bulb, bad wiring, loss of ground to the affected bulb. Probably a simple fix once the actual problem is located.
  • lmaxicklmaxick Posts: 46
    It's either a bad bulb or a bad relay, usually when it blinks fast it's the relay, have your dealer check the relay, very simply unplug one put a new one in and your done.
    Don't feel too bad I get 16 around town and as much as 30 on the hwy, but CA gas has a lot of ethanol i it. so I just accept it, runs like a bat out of hell though. For the money you can't beat that little bugger.
    WEll folks here is one you won't believe. I'm in my car and put down the sun visor and see this little thingy in the head liner that looks like a small vent or some kind of light. So I call my fiiendly dealer and ask for service and the guy tells me that it is is fact a vent he says when you put the visor down and lower your window it lets out all the stale air. NOW then ready for this? He tells me to hang on for a minute and come back on the line and tells me now it is a light that when you open your door it come on. So I try it NOTHING !!! the I look at the visor and notice the vanity mirror and just happen to flip it open... GUESS WHAT WAHT? WHEN YOU LIFT UP THE MIRROR THE LIGHT IN THE HEADLINER DOES IN FACT COME ON. I felt like going down there and ripping them a new butt hole, they absolutely know NOTHING about the vehicle they are selling. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!
  • fannibalfannibal Posts: 23
    I just got a 2008 hyundai sonata I4 limited yesterday and I have the similar/same problem. it vibrates at 4th gear around 40mph. anyone find a solution to this?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    They should have known, but that's probably also listed in the owners manual.
    I would look there before bothering to call the dealership and attempting to describe it verbally.
  • lmaxick, Thanks.

This happened to me again. I checked this time, Both the front and back light-bulbs were blinking fast and DIM.

I took it to the dealer, The problem is by the time I got to the dealer, the problem disappeared. The service Manager, took the bulbs out and put them back-in and said, please bring it back when it consistently fails....

I asked about the relay, he simply said, no that cant be it... I guess I will WAIT until it fails more often or completely

Any other ideas are welcome ....
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Oh, I believe it. More often than not, I know far more about my cars, no matter the make, than the dealer servicing it does. Even at Lexus......
  • Update :: Dealer finally reproduced the problem, Issue was that the, bulb was not making contact correctly inside the headlight assembly. Dealer replaced the whole headlight assembly and now things seem to be fine.
  • sonlxsonlx Posts: 21
    Hello,
    I took my 03 Sonata LX to NTB (National Tire and Battery) to have the alignment fixed. They fixed the alignment and very well at that, but the problem of my car pulling left even when in the right lane of the highway was not resolved. Long story short, they found my front passenger side Camber to be off by -0.7 degrees. Camber on the sonata is unadjustable. Some suspension component is most likely bent, warped, or broken and I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with camber issues and how they fixed the problem. What component was damaged and causing the camber offset? If a part was replaced, did that fix the camber issue?
    Any and all information is greatly Appreciated!
    Thank You
  • pes1pes1 Posts: 2
    Hello, I just registered to tell my own story. I own a 2001 Sonata GLS with 148,000 miles. I hope my story will help others.
    While I had my Sonata at my mechanic for a ball joint and a new tire, he called me to tell me my subframe was completely rusted out and it is a safety issue and I should take it up with Hyundai. So I did, I called Hyundai consumer affairs and made my case very strongly that this is a clear safety issue and a subframe on a car should NOT be rusting out and if Hyundai does not fix this on their dime that I would make a huge stink about this. They admitted to me on the phone that this is not "normal" and to take it to a dealer for them to confirm the issue. I did that and they did confirm the problem. The service manager said to me he would talk to his rep and call me on Monday(today), but stated that because of high mileage and the fact that I havent been doing regular servicing and been a "loyal" Hyundai customer they might noy pay for the repair. Watch out for them playing the" loyalty " card. It's bull#$@!. Force the issue with them, this is not a mechanical thing, it is a safety thing and this should NOT happen! Be forceful in your comments, but remain respectful so they will owrk with you.
    I just now got a call and they are ordering the part and repairing it at NO COST TO ME! I will have my car back bby Thursday or Friday with a new subframe.

So I hope this info helps someone out there. If you own a Sonata have the subframe checked before it breaks while youre driving. Luckily mine was found out before any more damamge was done to me or my car.
    You can refer to my case number : 3254818

email me if I can be of help or support, Hyundai will pay for this to keep it from becoming more publicized and becaome a recall.

pesphoto@gmail.com
  • braggonbraggon Posts: 8
    Please mention what state you drive your Sonata in, this may have something to do with how "familiar" they are with the problem. The northern states seem to get more help since it's more common with the salt. I drove mine for three years in Mass. but have been in Tenn. for the past five years and went round and round with Hyundai about my 2000 model but I'm supposed to get a check in the mail.
  • tntbakertntbaker Posts: 22
    I have been collecting data since November 2006 when my 2000 sonata rusted apart. I believe I was the first to publicly get Hyundai to pay for this repair. I am in Kansas cit, Mo and have heard from 20-25 people from all across the country. mainly the coast but not exclusively. the cars have had anywhere from 85k to 145k miles. There are plenty of examples out there and Hyundai has been paying on a case by case buisness. I can be reached at tntnknb@juno.com and will be more than willing to give anyone my claim information. I have posted my informaatiopn in this forum several times. Best thing to do is to ionsist on adealer making the repair and get the district rep involved.
  • tntbakertntbaker Posts: 22
    Insist on the dealer making the repair. I have found the cost of the repair to be from $1200 to $2500. The fix is by replacing the complete undercarriage. I have spoke to 20-25 people and Hyundai has been paying for these repairs.
    I am a sonata owner and had this problem and with persistence got Hyundai to make right on the repairs.
  • I am also a new Hyundai owner,08 Sonata Limited. I have approached my dealer in Memphis,TN on numerous occasions concerning the vibration. The GM and service manager all "agree" it's a "characteristic"of the car. BS...now the 2009 Sonatas are ALL 5 speeds, not 4 speeds. Why would that be I wonder??? Hmmm...class action lawsuit sounds good to me!!!
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Wonder no more....all Sonata's are now 5 speeds for two reasons:
    1. to increase fuel economy somewhat, notice the 4 cylinder EPA sticker now indicates a modest increase over previous years with a 4 speed auto.
    2. to keep up with the competitiion. Honda,at least, has had 5 speed automatics in their 4 cylinders for at least one model year.
    I love conspiracy theories...X Files material for sure!! ;)
  • hdsithdsit Posts: 58
    Not just all 2007 models - was a "characterisitc" from the beginning of the NF-model:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f148eb4/18!keywords=#18
    And according to my testdrive last weekend of the facelifted 2009 3,3 model - they still havent solved this annoyance. A lot of other improvements, but obviously not this specific (most likely A/T-related) problem.
  • cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Posts: 52
    I was just wondering if anyone has been having a problem with their air bag light keeps coming on. My light has come on 3 times in the past year, and it's been the same code every time (high resistance in the passenger seat belt buckle or something like that). I bought the car in August '05, so I think the Illinois Lemon Law doesn't apply to me (someone tell me if it does cuz I wouldn't mind a new car!). I have 45,000 miles, so I have a little while left to go before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up, but that would suck if this keeps happening forever.

Oh, and another thing... I got a bubble in each of my front tires after the pot holes this winter, and the dealer recommended I change them. Is it okay to change just 2? Like I said, I have 45,000 miles on the other ones. I was thinking about getting Kumho Solus KH16s cuz they're only like $100 each, and they have pretty good reviews/ratings... much better than the stock MXM4s...
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    Changing just two tires should be just fine. I wouldn't hesitate if I needed to do this to my car.
  • I had Kumho Solus tires on my previous car and LOOOOVED them! I wouldn't hesitate to buy these. I hate the stock tires on my Sonata - Hankook something or other.