Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• geejoegeejoe Posts: 1
    Well..I am third person here joining. Had same problem this evening when I stopped for red light. My 2007 Sonata (16000 miles) turned off by itself. I thought of checking the web if anyone experienced this problem. I will take take the car to dealer and probably they won't find anything.. :confuse:
  • osobienosobien Posts: 2
    This is a current NHTSA investigation. NHTSA Number PE08029. Check the NHTSA web site and complain. It will force the issue.
  • osobienosobien Posts: 2
    Tom, check the NHSTA web site, PE08029. This is an open investigation. People should be referred to NHTSA and complain. That will get Hyundai to do the right thing. Someone is going to get hurt with this situation unless the issue is forced.
  • bozybozy Posts: 8
    Excellent! Glad to hear that the NHTSA is looking into this. Maybe this will get Hyuandai to do the right thing for these owners.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Depends upon the dealer a lot - I've seen dealers OFFER to do the right thing some times, and REFUSE to do the right thing at other dealers. Shop around.
  • tntbakertntbaker Posts: 22
    Thanks for the heads up. I know of at least 25 people I have talked to. It is about time that NHSTA is looking into this. The number of people contacting me has grown weekly. I check this an other blogs on a regular basis to try to help anyone I can reach. When my car failed I found a similar investigation going on in Canada. Here is hoping Hyundai will acknoledge this safety issue. tntnknb@juno.com
    What I have found is that most dealers try to avoid the repair. Most of the time the Hyundai consumer afffairs has over wtitten the decision of their field rep and or dealer. I have been tracking this information since my car broke in November of 2006.
  • gnomadgnomad Posts: 17
    My new 08 Sonata I4/5M is losing coolant, I can't find a leak anywhere, and the shop did a pressure test on it when I first noticed the problem. They didn't find anything but I clearly have a problem. It's going back to the shop as soon as I can squeeze it in. Just curious, if anyone else has had an issue like this, what was the resolution?

Overall I'm damn delighted with the car, it's getting 28-29 MPG in mixed driving, and the comfort and ease of driving is great, but it is losing coolant at a rate comparable to my old cage, the Aztek with the 3.4L V6 with a bad intake manifold gasket.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    If the leak is not visible external, it would/could be internal - maybe a slow one in the cylinder head gasket that is hard to detect. If and when head gasket becomes worse, you would see frequent white cloud/vapor out the exhaust pipe.

It would be interesting to see if any coolant is in the crankcase engine oil - a positive sign of gasket problem. The engine oil level being too high due to coolant seeping in could be another indicator.

Seems too new for this problem - but there could always be one that occurs early due to manufacture/assembly problem.
    Since November 2006 I have been contacted by 25 different people who have all experienced a failure with the right front subframe rusting apart and actually breaking. Approximately 18 people have been settled with, either Hyundai repairing the car or reimbursing for the repair. Most people have been on the eastern have of the United States. I have been working with an attorney building a case for a class action Lawsuit. We are currently looking for anyone who has had this problem and not contacted me. The NHTSA Number PE08029 is an active investigation that report 40 known failures. I am especial interested in anyone from California.

If you own a 1999-2001 Hyundai Sonata I suggest inspecting your subframe for rust. If you are not sure where to look, you should turn your steering wheel all the way to the right. Look where the A-Arm bolts to the frame. You will probably find severe rust. If you do, I would like to hear from you at tntnknb@juno.com Even if it has not failed yet, I suggest taking it to a Hyundai dealer and filing a claim with Hyundai Consumer affairs.

My hope is that Hyundai, who has admitted to a problem by paying for repairs will soon address this obvious safety issue.

Tom Baker, Kansas City, MO
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    This should be addressed in the "K-thunk" thread, don't believe it applies in the 4G forum..older vehicle problem. I personally don't think we need to read about this AGAIN in the M&R thread. This is a problem with the older Sonata's and should be dealt with there. Thanks!

No let me rephrase this....it should be directed to the "subframe rust" thread. K-thunk has nothing to do with this.
    For the record, It started here and this has been where everyone has found out about this problem. As long as I keep hearing from folks I will keep hanging out.
  • franmartfranmart Posts: 16
    Has any one had to replace the brake light on the trunk in the center of the window and is it a big job is it expesive at the dealer :
  • homerjwhomerjw Posts: 13
    Hi,
    What model of Sonata do you have? I have an '06, and the center mounted brake light went. It is a job that required a really long screw driver and some circus level contortions to change. I was actually happy to let the dealer replace the bulb. I think it cost me about 30$ Cdn to have it replaced.

Cheers,
    Jon
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Try checking the coolant elbow at the lower intake manifold gasket. If it's a slow seep it may be burning off and leaving little evidence. Get down low and look at it from all angles.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Hey macakava... thought you were dead or something. :sick:

Haven't seen you on the "Smart Shoppers" board in a couple years. You ever coming back... or do you already know it all ? ;)
  • neworder8neworder8 Posts: 3
    Get it done! I just got the car back from my dealer, and they were astounded at the 17 teeth missing from my timing belt at 61000 miles. It was making a racket, and I knew that it was supposed to be changed at 60000 so I got really nervous Monday AM when it was acting verry erratically and lurched on me etc. I took it directly there, and they said if I hadn't the engine would have eaten itself basically. It was around $350, and I expected $500 so that was a nice surprise. My dealer is top of the line - Cochran Hyundai of the South Hills (Pittsburgh). They've got my loyalty - especially because of the way they handled the subframe rust issue, no questions asked, fixed, no charge. Just thought I should post my experience after my first post with the timing belt question. Don't risk it. I thought I could hold off for a while.
  • aneeshaneesh Posts: 43
    I have a 2006 Sonata GLS, it was relatively low milegae(17600 to be exact)..but I here a squealing sounds when I brake...do they need replacement already? I thought factory brakes should last longer.....also does air bag recall every 2006-2008 Sonatas?
  • tomk17tomk17 Posts: 135
    I've got an 06 LX with a high pitch squeal often. It's not an indication of worn pads, that's more of a grinding sound and you'll hear the wear indication chirp when pads are toast. Should get at least 50K from the fronts and maybe more from back pads. Just have to live with the slight squeal.
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    You may not necessarily have to live with it. I'd take it in (or look at it yourself) to see if someone just forgot to put the brake grease BEHIND the pads to stop them from their normal squealing chatter when they are pressed against the rotors. Not enough or not any at all sometimes leads to an unwelcome and unnecessary symphony.

good luck
  • travfam1travfam1 Posts: 5
    I have a manual drivers seat with an annoying squeak when any pressure is applied to the seatback, ie. during acceleration or trying to move in the seat. Before I take it to the dealer, I was considering replacing it with a power seat. Has anyone actually done this? Can it be done with the existing harness in the vehicle. The manual seat has 3 electrical connections. Anyone know how many the power seat has? Spoke to service dept.at dealer. They said would require additional harness. Anyone know for sure. Appreciate any info. Thanks.
  • I just replaced both CV shafts on my 1999 Sonata. Now I have a leak of either power steering fluid or transmission fluid. I can't determine if the hose/line is connected for cooling or where. Has anyone come across this before?
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    This is more likely transmission fluid. The half shafts slot directly into the transmission/differential (Transaxle) and there are/should be seals at that point and these may have developed a leak since you disturbed the original half shafts.
    Please check you engine cradle for rust where the control arms bolt on. This is a very serious safty issue. I have a 2000 where the engine cradle rusted and broke and have talked to over 30 peolpe and the nhtsa.gov has 40 complaints on the same issue. These cars have been rusting from the inside out on the subframe and Hyundai has been replacing them with some persuasion.
    If you find this corrosion you need to file a cliam with nhtsa.gov and hyundai consumer affairs. If you have any questions I can be contacted directly at tntnknb@juno.com. I have been collecting this information ever since NOV 2006.
    Tom Baker Kansas CIty, MO
  • mauritamiamauritamia Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a 2004 Sonata with 75,000 miles that is running just fine. I bought it used. I heard that the Sonatas need to get a service by the 80,000 to take care of brakes and more. Is this true? and if it is, what else should get fixed/replaced at the 80,000 mile mark. Thank you very much for your response.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Brakes are serviced as needed. Any reputable brake shop will do a check of your brakes at no cost to you. Your service schedule is a part of the car paperwork, have you checked there? Even if you're not mechanically inclined, you should familiarize yourself with the manuals. If they were not included in the purchase, you can acquire them from a dealer or on eBay. Last, but not least, establish a relationship with your local dealer. Your service manager will be able to tell you what is needed (as opposed to recommended) on your car.
  • tmorrow411tmorrow411 Posts: 11
    I had a squeaky driver seat on my 2007 Sonata. The dealer first replaced the rails under the seat. The problem left, but shortly came back. The second time, they said they didn't use the right grease the first time. They fixed it again by just greasing it, and it hasn't sqeaked since.
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    I have an 06 Sonata GLS (4 cylinder, automatic) with a little over 41,000 miles on it. I've noticed as of late that my brake pedal can get a bit firm occasionally when stopping, and it has happened at both high and low speeds (and not always with a panic stop). I can duplicate it to an extent by accelerating a little and then going for the brakes. The brake pedal will get firm for just a split second and then it'll feel more like normal immediately after. I don't recall ever having this sort of issue in the past. I'm still on my original pads and rotors and have had the dealer inspect, clean, and adjust the brake system every year. However, my dealer did replace the master cylinder recently because it was making an awful creaking noise when braking.

Any thoughts as to what might be happening? I'm going to have the dealer look at it Monday afternoon and figured I would ask about it here beforehand to see if anyone else can shed any light on this.
  • xfshhxfshh Posts: 26
    I bought my 09 Sonata GLS with package 2 two days ago. Today, I put my key to the "accessory" position (I thought it was in the "start" poisition). And then I stepped on the brake and shiftted the gear to "R", the car started to back from the parking lot. And then I shift the gear to "D" so I could adjust the direction of my car. The car Kept going backward. I was scared and stepped on the brake and the brake did NOT work - the car kept sliding backward!!! It only stoped when I shifted the gear to "P". I checked the shift - it was in the AUTO transmission mode (this is right). So why this happens? It is not safe at all!!! I remember my old car would not move if I do not start the engine. Isn't this the basic safety feature???

I tried 2 more times later this evening. One of these was just like I wrote above. I also smelled something burning. Anyone has similar experience? Would you please try (several times) to see whether it is just my car or it is a common problem for 2009 Sonata
  • bozybozy Posts: 8
    Anything new on the NHTSA investigation into this issue? The more that write into them and bring this safety issue up, the more it force Hyundai to own up to the problem.