Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    In my opinion, I don't think its worth it. I think it best either buying a GLS automatic or going straight to a SE. The only real difference with the PEP is a powers driver seat and alloy wheels. Unless you have many people that drive your car, you rarely change your seating and you can always get great deals on a set of wheels.

In the end, its up to you. Wish you good luck.
  • leahchchleahchch Member Posts: 10
    Is it true if I take the Collage Graduate Rebate, then I have to use the Hyundai Finance?
    This is a very good deal, I think.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    For someone like me with severe spinal issues, a power seat would be a must...it's nice to be able to manipulate the seat to a comfy position. From here on out, I'm only going to purchase a car with a power throne...and also with a seat that I can just slide over into...I drop down a bit in my current ride & it's getting old already!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tarheelcoastietarheelcoastie Member Posts: 1
    Stay away from Bob Dunn Hyundai in Greensboro, NC if you are going to rely on them for any service or warranty work - they automatically turn down all warranty work HANDS DOWN! Their service department to pretty lackluster and the personnel don't seem to be running on all cylinders while grossly overcharging for their services.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    edited September 2010
    As much as we would have loved to have power seats it is not offered in the base model. In order to get manual transmission we had to get the base model. In the past week we made two trips (almost 3,000 miles) We used our 06 acura tsx and then our 11 sonata. Very impressed with the sonata. The seats without power are rather confortable. We averaged 36.5 MPG.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hi all. I'm looking at replacing my '06 Accord with a Certified 2009 Sonata GLS V6, with moonroof. It is certified with the accompanying 100k warranty. 47k miles, clean carfax. The model I'm interested in is $13,990, and they're offering $14,400 out the door (tax is $508). Decent deal? I'd feel better if I could walk away for $14k flat or less.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Compared to my area, that is a steal. I did a search here in PA for that vehicle and came up with one in a 100 mile radius from my home. And that dealer wants $15995 for theirs!!!!! :surprise: And knowing the people in this area, they will probably get it.
  • eynonimuseynonimus Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have the upgraded speaker system with the navigation? The dealer I signed my deal with is waiting for my pearl white nmo navi but just got a pearl white with navi in...I didn't want the navi and upgrade speakers to begin with at $1900 extra (invoice..which is all I would pay extra regardless) but am wondering if it would be a good idea considering I wouldn't have to add anything at all to the car then?

Anyone have experience with it that loves/hates it?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Consider that a base Fit costs about $2000 more than that 2009 Sonata V6 with 100k warranty.

Now, if it were me I'd go for the Sonata I4, as 175 hp is plenty and the less I pay for gas, the better. But if you gotta have a V6, you gotta have a V6. :)
    I'd also go with a new one with the 4 cylinder as I would'nt need that much power & I prefer to use 87 octane and save the extra $. And the new Sonata is a beautiful car and not as plain looking as the '09 & '10 models. Does the '09 in question have the nicer alloys? I always prefer alloys to the bolt on plastic covers...just finishes off a car better and one can't beat the looks of the alloys. Just my opinion though.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited September 2010
    The 2009 is a good car, also, and costs many thousands less than a new 2011. But with the I4/5AT powertrain, plenty of pep for me. Heck, even my 2007 with "only" the162 hp I4/4AT is pretty quick. I don't think the GLS V6 has the 5-spoke alloys, though, nor the alloys introduced for 2009 on the Limited (which look like the vent on my cheap bbq grille, IMO).
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2010
    Grad, I know that you travel frequently to the coast, check with the dealers in Pensacola,FL and Eastern Shore, Al for prices on a new one..not sure, but think I saw ads recently for GLS for prices not much more.
    I live in P'cola and have been drooling over changing my 2006LX for something newer, no reason as I haven't even reached 30K yet...but ... they sure look tempting. Good luck in your decision, whatever.
    Just checked today's paper...shows 2011 gls 4 for under 19k..(sorry, but correcting earlier goof on my part) guess I wasn't fully with it for the day yet....but I am sure that is their basic come on thing with all the discounts, etc included (The EasternShorePlace). You might give them a call, can't hurt anything.
    van
    Very true!

In this forum the meaningful format should state the selling price (w/dest. inc.) than the sales tax (if applicable), dealer fees and title and reg fees. OTD is only relevant for same states and it helps since Hyundai dealers vary by their doc./process fees.

For Example:
    S.P. with dest. (state) ......
    S Tax .........................
    Doc./Process fees..........
    T & L............................
    Cpn.( disc).......................
    Total OTD............................

So, in general how much do you pay for the Doc./Process fees? Is this include the dealer fees? why all the dealers I contacted all charge me $599-$699 for dealer fees? It is really high I think.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    What would be a fair price for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS Automatic before TTL? I am in CA. Would like to hear from all of you no matter what state you are in. Thanks for your feedbacks.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to interview people who recently purchased (or are considering purchasing) a new Hyundai Sonata. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 7, 2010 noting your previous vehicle and sharing a few words describing your thoughts on the car.
    Picked up my Cocoa Metallic GLS V6 last night. It has the moonroof.

$13,892+$508 tax = $14,400 out the door. Cash transaction, no trade-in.

Loving it so far!
    Congrats on the Sonata but what car did you get rid of? Thought you already have 2 Accords?

I sold my '06 Accord EX (64k miles and very clean) for $13,750.
    Surprised the car didn't come with the nicer alloys I've seen but guessing there for the Limited models only. Would definitely look your car look really sharp...I just like alloys so much better than bolt on style covers.

I've considered alloys from the SE model (the 5-spokers), but the tires are brand new on these, and the inside is so nice, I forget about the outside altogether. ;)
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Congrats from me too and welcome to the club! You are going to love this car. I've had my 06 I4 GLS for 4 years now. Lot's of good forums out there so check em out.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Keep in mind the 5 spokers are 17" and your car with steelies should be 16". Major ride difference.
    I'm well aware; keep in mind I'm coming from a 2006 Accord, which rides much stiffer than the Sonata (and handles better, by comparison). The only thing is that these tires are brand new, and I doubt with 100k miles on the car when I'm ready to buy tires again that I'll want to spend another several hundred bucks on alloy wheels and more expensive tires, especially as a young married man.
    You'll need to save your $ for something important...like a house...or the pitter-patter of little one's. I swapped out my steelies for alloys but my house was paid off and my little ones were all in college.

• atlantaaaaatlantaaaa Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I purchased 2011 Sonata GLS (PEP, Floor mat, Tinted Windows, Blue tooth,XMRadio, Mud guard)
    Msrp..21850

OTD.. 21750(Tax 7%, Doc Fee, everthing except financial)
    Down.. 2000
    Finance..19750(2.9% 60month, $354/m)
    Total.. 23240

It's very hard deal with 2011 sonata. How's that
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    what fees were included in your OTD price (sales tax, etc)
  • kadenjkadenj Member Posts: 7
    I was quoted 21100 for a GLS w/ PEP2 , OTD but it's 3hrs drive from where i live ,sounds like a good deal???? what if I have to bring it for service ,I dont want to drive all the way there :confuse: can it be serviced at any hyundai dealership?
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 7355
    I was in a similar situation back in April when I bought my 2011 GLS with PEP (msrp 21765). I had a very good quote from a guy 2 hours away. I used that as leverage with a local dealer to get within $200 of that best deal. It was worth it for me to pay the 200 and avoid the hassle of a long-distance drive. Cars are the same and the warranty is valid throughout the CONUS. To date, I have not had one reason to get warranty work done although i only have 2000 miles on her. Good hunting!
    As with any major manufacturer, you can have your Hyundai serviced, including having warranty-repairs made at any Hyundai dealer in the country.
  • ben1986ben1986 Member Posts: 9
    Im live in NY but looked in NJ for a Phantom Black Metallic 2011 Hyundai Sonata 4dr Sedan I4 Auto Limited w/ Navi and I got quoted for $24,183. It also will come with CARPETED FLOOR MATS (CF) SUNROOF WIND DEFLECTOR (WD), WHEEL LOCKS (WL).

This is all without TTL.
    The MRSP is $28,360
    Invoice is $26,736

So my price is $2,553 below invoice. Should I take the deal or look for another dealer?
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    look for another dealer
  • ortegaortega Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    No offense, but why would you say to look for another dealer? The price quoted seems very attractive to me for a car that is in such high demand right now.

Would you care to elaborate becuase I will soon be in the market for basically the same model and had it been me I would have jumped at that offer.
  • ortegaortega Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2010
    Would you mind sharing the delaer? I'm in Jersey and would be very interested.
    Its a hyundai dealer in paramus, nj.
    I found these deals through zag.
    All my friends say if your gonna get a fully loaded sonata,
    they would put in a few extra thousand $ to get a better car.
    WHat do u think?
  • tmizzletmizzle Member Posts: 1
    I think that is a very good deal and you should take it
    Living down here in South Florida, I've been seeing a ton of 2011 Sonata's on the roadways, so they must be selling. Our local Hyundai store is right outside our development so I see many test drives also. Happens to be a great dealership, we take our kids Accent there, and we've had nothing but great service so far.

South Florida is similar to California in that we like cars & driving. The Sonata's, Camry's, Accord's & domestic makes make this a haven for family sized autos. See more of the foreign makes than Fusion's & Malibu's but I'm guessing other parts of the country see different mixes. Have to figure all the players in this segment are doing well even though I hear that the new car market is still having a rough time!

• cjgtcjgt Member Posts: 28
    I live near this dealer, Paramus Dodge and Hyundai I think it's called, and I had some bad experiences with them. One time I was just looking at a car, a new 2006 Sonata at the time, while my car was getting an oil change. I said I was just looking but just out of curiosity I asked what was the best deal I could get, but I also said I wouldn't get a new car at that time. They sat me down and showed me some prices. They were ok I guess, I really didn't look around, but they started with a sales pitch even after I said I was just asking for prices. I kept trying to walk away after my car was ready but they were so persistent it actually became comical to me. But (this is the part that pissed me off) they actually delayed giving me my car keys until they could pitch one last offer to me! That's what I get for taking them too lightly. I demanded my keys back and I never went back after that but this wasn't the only bad time I had with them.

After a bad accident in 2002 my insurance decided to use this dealer to fix a lingering issue with my car. A couple days after receiving the car it made a bad screeching sound every time I made a left turn. I took it back and they said parts of the suspension went bad. I don't remember what parts but I knew they said it would take about $800 to fix. To me this didn't make any sense because another shop did most of the repairs beforehand so all of the parts were new. I took it to another shop and it turned out to be a loose brake shield.

So I got it from both sides from this dealer. I should've learned from the first time I dealt with this dealer but I didn't think they would be that horrible years later.
    I haven't been to this dealer in years so maybe, and that's a big maybe, they changed their ways but if I were you I would be very careful.
  • cjgtcjgt Member Posts: 28
    To answer the question what do your friends consider to be a better car? It's already one of the nicest cars in the class. If they mean something like a Honda or Toyota, well look at all the problems they're having lately. At this point, as much as Hyundai as improved, I don't see them being better choice at all.
    Now if they mean better as in something in the large car or entry luxury classes; they may not have all the things a fully loaded Sonata may have for around the same price.
  • smuggymbasmuggymba Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2010
    How much should I pay for Hyundai Sonata Limited with Navigation and backup camera in houston, TX
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    Fellow about 5 posts earlier got one for $24,183, which is the best price I've seen. I'd say anything under 25K is excellent for that car. The car is in high demand and the dealers aren't exactly giving them away.

Give N Freeway Hyundai a shot. I'm not allowed to post a salesman's name, but think of a local game fish. My advice is to make a reasonable offer (25K) and stick with it. He can only say no, he can't kill you!
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Thanks for mentioning the dealer. Too many posters don't.
  • lordy1952lordy1952 Member Posts: 8
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100926/us_nm/us_hyundai_recall

I hope this will low the price on the sonata...
    Did you buy this for 24,183 or still looking for a better deal.

I'm planning to buy the same - 2011 Sonata Limited with Navi.

Does your quote include the backup camera?
  • kadenjkadenj Member Posts: 7
    I just bought our 2011 sonata gls w/ PeP2, floor mat, cargo mat for 20988 OTD, how's that!!!! Thanks anyway for posting your purchase ,I appreciate it, atleast I know where to start, N Freeway says it's a ridiculous price,, well turns out it's ridiculously good,,,the sales people were good to us although we were not able to get the color we want but we got a good deal,,,,Texan Hyundai check them out ,,,, :) we traded our car and given a better deal :surprise: compare to carmax,,,,we got 6k for our trade that bring us to 14613 coz we got tax break after the trade ins,,,,,@ 2.9% our monthly is 277$ sweeet
    I just bought our 2011 sonata gls w/ PeP2, floor mat, cargo mat for 20988 OTD, how's that!!!! Thanks anyway for posting your purchase ,I appreciate it, atleast I know where to start, N Freeway says it's a ridiculous price,, well turns out it's ridiculously good,,,the sales people were good to us although we were not able to get the color we want but we got a good deal,,,,Texan Hyundai check them out ,,,, we traded our car and given a better deal compare to carmax,,,,we got 6k for our trade that bring us to 14613 coz we got tax break after the trade ins,,,,, 2.9% our monthly is 277$ sweeet

Looking for a sonata 2011 limited with Navi....hub hyundai @ houston says 24,500 is a loss making deal. Any limited edition with Navi actual buyers here?
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    Thanks for mentioning the dealer...
    I decided not to get it. I'm waiting for the 2011 Sonata Hybrid. I wanted better mileage and i think it looks better than the regular model. Hyundai said it will come out Q4 of 2010.

You can get a deal like 24,183 for 2011 Sonata Limited with Navi and it does include backup cam from Zag.com. If your a member of any of those companies listed, you can get a great deal with no hassle or negotiation.
  • woodhill1woodhill1 Member Posts: 3
    I paid $24,813 on Limited with nav in New Jersey. Couldn't get them to match the $24,183 listed above, did not include the $720 destination I am pretty sure. Might have talked them down a little but had already had a long day at another dealer, who let me walk because he would not promise to pay off my trade until, "he got paid from Hyundai." That was a deal breaker for me. Trade had equity so that is not in the negotiated price.
    Good luck.
    edited October 2010
    Congrats and great price you got too.
    My quote did include destination. I also had a 500$ military discount included in the price.