Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chuck1919chuck1919 Posts: 176
    I find all the above posts about trying to get the right car very "amusing".

Car dealers are treating you guys the way they always have treated people when a new model is built that has "initial demand". Witness the last Thunderbird that Ford made, it was panned by critics, yet there were reports of people paying $10,000.00 over sticker thinking it was going to be a collector's item like the '57.

Unless your in to self punishment (OR your car suddenly blew up) you should think about waiting. Hyundai's resale value is questionable in the marketplace. Why pay more than you have to?

Give it a year and there will be rebates as always is the case with Hyundai.

If you want to buy right now you deserve to pay whatever the market will bear.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    why not just buy a limited without the navi, and then go buy a nice garmin for $200, and save yourself $3000 or so? just a suggestion.
  • hyundai2011hyundai2011 Posts: 15
    I have just bought sonata 2011 limited with navigation black/black with cargo mat, floor mats, cargo net, iPod Cable, wheel locks for $25988.00 + tax and fees.

The asking price was 28395 + 1935 add-ons = 30330.

I have bought 10year platinum additional service for $1981.00. Is it worth it? I can cancel it within 30 days for complete refund. I was told that I can't get this service later. So, got it. Please let me know your valuable suggestions.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    Is this the Hyundai extended warranty, or something else? Whichever, I think $2000 is too much, considering you can't make any use of it for five years or 60k miles, and then just for non-powertrain warranty repairs. If I were you, I'd invest the $2000 and then if you need extra money for repairs in years 6-10, you'll have that to draw on.

Also, if it's NOT the Hyundai extended warranty, I'd steer clear if I were you. Those warranty companies have a bad habit of going under, leaving you with nothing to show for your money.
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    It is called 'Hyundai Protection plan', which has 4 levels silver, gold, gold plus and platinum. The one I signed for is Platinum 10 years / 100,000 miles with $0 deductible, i.e, covers parts and labor. I have just read the complete contract. I can cancel it in CA within 60 days for complete refund. It is administered by Fidelity warranty services. Any comments?
  • abigmuttabigmutt Posts: 37
    edited May 2010
    To: hyundai2011:

So what happened? Did you end up buying the $30,330 Ltd w/Nav. for $25,988 ???
    I'm really curious to know. I hope you got there in time to get that deal.

I'm still flayling around in southern california trying to find one of those for less than $28,000.
    BTW, I have contacted the gouging dealer of mine that is getting "my" car (that I supposedly ordered from him almost 3 months ago) but the fleet manager is acting as intermediary between me and the GM and the sales manager. Apparently both have refused to budge a single penny from the jacked-up price they're now asking from me: almost two grand more than agreed.
    I did what was suggested earlier here: being diplomatic & talking nice to them, while hinting of filing complaints with BBB and Cal. Attorney General, etc. Offered to meet them half way; they said not a nickel less than their inflated price.
    but haven't talked in person to them; so the fleet mgr set up meeting for next Wednesday to meet them in person.
    I have already filed both of those complaints but didn't tell them I had. They must know by now because both agencies responded immediately saying they'd opened a case and had forwarded my complaints to the dealer.
    I think I may also file an action in Small Claims Court, but I need to get all my supporting documents together for that, plus find out the actual owners of the corporation.

Anyway, the search continues.
    I have to keep reminding myself "it's only a car" so that it doesn't get blown out of proportion.

Ultimately I think I'll search for a good deal on the east coast or the mid-west, because according to THIS edmunds townhall forum they're giving much better deals out there; and I want to take a road trip out there anyway to visit family, so I'd only be looking at a one-way air ticket to the dealer, and then only a return trip with the car.

Cheers!
    Yes. I bought it for $25988.00 + tax and DMV fees.

I have been looking for black/black with navigation + all options in Bay Area, CA for the past 3 weeks or so. I couldn't find one. But a dealer 100 miles from my place had it & He quoted me for approx. $26300. But, I am not sure it has all the options or not. I was planning to go there this weekend. However, I looked for inventory online last evening (BayAreaHyundai.com -- They have web links to all the bay area dealers) and found that it was available near my place.

I went to the dealers this morning ~9:30. They open at 9:00. Initially, the sales manager told me that he can't reduce a single penny & He offered it for 30k. However, I have done enough research in this forum and got a lot of helpful info from the members. Thanks to everyone. Based on the info I gathered here in this forum, I told him that I don't care about the add-ons. He took it off. So, it came down to the MSRP 28395. Then I told him that I have quotes between $25350 to $26000 and I can buy it for $25350. (I have looked at this forum to come up with these numbers. But I have not got any quote for 25350. One internet guy told me that he can give it for 25000 but he has not in stock. I don't believe that he could give it to me for 25k). We negotiated back and forth and this time He showed me the invoice price. It was something around 26700 & He offered it for 27k. I told him that I am not in a hurry. 'If you can't give it to me I can wait for couple of months. Also, I can go to the other dealer and try'. I was ready to go. He wouldn't let me go. Finally, I told him 'I can pay 25900. This is my final offer'. He wrote the number 25998. I told him 'if you add wheel-locks to it i will buy (it was the only options missing originally)'. He agreed. It is a long story. But, I hope it helps my fellow members here in this forum.
    edited May 2010
    Did the car your driving now blow up? Why all the effort, time, mental games etc. to buy this particular car?

What they did to you they have done to others, is common business practice, etc., etc.

After all they have put you through. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU BUY THE CAR FROM THEM NOW?

I think quite frankly, you have forgotten it's only a car, and you are getting ready to engage in a "battle" for reasons only known to you.

CHEERS!
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,323
    Check the exclusions on the extended warranty. Once the original one expires there will be a difference in what is covered. How many cars have you kept for 10 years or 100k? This is a very poor use of 2k dollars. You may want something different in 5 years. It will be a new world in the auto industry by then and the choices may make you want something different. You can put the 2k toward a new 80 mpg ride. ;)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,732
    One positive about Hyundai's extended "platinum" warranty is I think it extends bumper-to-bumper to 10 years / 100k miles, extends road service to 10 years, and is transferable--which would be a big plus on resale value. But IMO not worth $2000, especially since it has no value for five years/60k miles.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    edited May 2010
    Chuck you are wise man. Introductory models if they get good reviews, the dealers will milk it. I am in market for a new car.

I like Sonata, but I am getting killer deal for an Accord. Accord automatic 4 dr, LX-P at 18,700 plus TTL and EX for 20,300. GLS auto with performance pkg plus destination plus mats is being offered for 19,832 plus T T & L.

Both are excellent cars, Sonata is more snazy looking but its steering is slightly overboosted and introductory modles have inherent risk. Love the way Honda handles but Sonata has a lot to offer.
    Thank you. For what it is worth, I have an '07 Honda Accord EX-L (4 cylinder) that I have had for 29 months purchased new. I currently have 72,000 miles on it without any issues what so ever. I am in industrial sales and drive 100 to 150 miles a day.

Back to topic - The new Sonata is one beautiful car, no doubt. Hyundai dealers are playing alot of games because of the initial demand. Unless one is in dire need of new transportation, there isn't any reason what so ever to pay what some of the dealers want. It's stupid.

Wait and get a bigger discount and a rebate when they come. The bottom line is the economy is still very fragile and waiting will do everyone no harm what so ever.

Good luck with your Honda, while I am not overly impressed with the new Honda design, I will probably buy another.

They are great cars.
    edited May 2010
    Yes, chuck1919: I guess it is common business practice.
    But why do you question my desire to buy a new Sonata at this time? That's what most of the people posting on this particular thread have already done or are preparing to do.
    Because your current car blows up isn't the only reason people buy new cars.

But I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "mental games, effort and time". This is not what I bargained for but I guess we all have to go through some of this if we want a new car at a fair price.
    What's a fair price? well, when buyer and seller agree on a price, I guess that's the first step to a fair price.
    I question why you're dumping on ME, chuck1919; I'm the victim of these deceptive practices and I'm just reporting the facts as they unfold.
    I thought others here might want to know. (maybe you're one of THEM (the weasels) and you're defending these despicable practices, chuck1919)

But hey, guess what? Unbelievable !!!

It happened AGAIN; today! (only much shorter time-frame than last time).

This past Friday evening I contacted a dealer about 100 miles away; and told him the Sonata that I was looking for.
    Low and behold he had one! He replied to my email on Saturday with a price quote: MSRP price and the price he was willing to sell for to me.
    Good price: $26000. so I immediately wrote and called back saying I would take it. He said fine, he had to go to his other lot to get it, and I should call back in 2 hrs. In 2 hrs he said he was getting the exact car that I wanted, price was $26,000 and he'd put a Sold sign on it and wait for me to come in on Monday morning.

Well, today, Monday morning, I drove the 100 miles but when I got there he said "sorry, this car is in such high demand that the price had to be $26,850."
    I was stunned of course, because we had a written offer and acceptance deal !!
    He apologized but said nothing he could do; take it or leave it.
    I left it.

These are unscrupulous weasels, just like car salesmen have always been. Wasted a day and 200 miles driving !!

Dealer is Garden Grove Hyundai in Garden Grove, CA. but it could just as easily be any one of the dishonest snakes that pass for car dealers here in southern california.

Rick
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    Sorry you're getting the run around but thanks for mentioning the dealer...this forum would be a lot more useful if others would do the same...good dealer experiences or bad.
  • truelies1truelies1 Posts: 34
    I hope everyone here don't go to buy at Garden Grove Hyundai in Garden Grove, CA.
    edited May 2010
    I don't sell cars.

So a dealer does it TO YOU AGAIN. I hope you enjoy shopping for your car that is in "high demand" and seeing all the tricks the dealers will do with you. To save you some time, they will include-
    1) Telling you they have the actual car when they don't, just to get you in to the dealership.
    2) Changing the quoted price.
    3) Quoting you a price, but forgetting to add the freight line on the MSRP sticker.
    4) Quoting you a price, but telling you that YOU MUST buy an extended warranty to get that price.

I am sure there are so many others, but there are too many to list.

Good luck! BTW. To show you I am a nice guy I have included a link on how to bring a car in to California. (It does state to look under the hood for California certification as I have stated).
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/NonCAVeh/NonCAVeh.pdf
    edited May 2010
    by the way I have traded-in my 11 year old car when I bought this car. My insurance has increased by just $147 per year. pretty good. :)
  • brewerfanbrewerfan Posts: 1
    Anyone have an idea of a good OTD price on these? I got quoted at $15334 before TTF today. It seems TrueCar's and Edmunds' assessment of them is too high

What about a 2010 with 28k miles on it? I'm getting prices of 13500 out the door and that smells high for 28k rental miles on it. Edmunds doesn't let you do the TMV on a used 2010.
  • 7300valero7300valero Posts: 5
    edited May 2010
    2011 Hyundai Sonata SE with Navigation and all options for $24,900.00

I helped my mom purchase a Hyundai sonata SE yesterday. While the salesperson was tutoring on Navigation, sunglass box kept falling and we were not able to make it stay closed. We made an appointment with service department to address the issue.
    Now.. I come back from work at 2AM.. It seems like sunglass box stay closed in colder temperature. I noticed that rpm is idling very high and it took very long time to come down to about 800rpm. What it bother me the most is rattling sound when car is P positon. It sounds worse than the 10 years old car that we traded for. (2001 Acura tl 3.2 )
    When I pop the hood I notice that engine is vibrating much harder than any other car that I owned. Is this something common in 2011 Hyundai Sonata or did my mom just purchase a defective car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Comparing a V6 engine, known for years as one of the smoothest most refined engines (all of the Honda J-series V6 engines have been known for their silkiness) to a Direct Injection 4-cylinder engine isn't really a fair fight. Direct Injection type engines aren't usually as silky smooth as typical Fuel Injected engines, but the tradeoff is usually a worthwhile one to most people, because of the increased power and economy a DI engine provides.

If you're truly concerned, take it to the dealer, and simply ask to have another Sonata cranked and compare yours with the one on the lot.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    did you test drive this before you bought it?
    You sound much more educated than my saleman who keeps saying " It is normal, my 08 Elantra does it all the time. You are just being sensitive". I was able to convince the salesman to let me hear and see other engines on 2011 sonata. He showed me two with 300 miles and 15 miles. The engine on my mom's car shakes much harder. The hose coming out of engine and air vent unit rattles whereas other two do not. I made an appointment to get it serviced but I am afraid they will not be able to fix it and we are stuck with the car. BTW my mom is 72 years old and she has hard of hearing. Even she was complaining about the rattling noise.
    I did but I didn't notice it at the dealer.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well, I've come to realize that most car salespeople aren't car enthusiasts; they learn the product as much as necessary, but not being interested beyond job-requirements means they won't learn the intricate details that a car-lover does.

:shades:
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,323
    That's true because most don't stay in the job long enough to learn. I've found the most knowledgeable staff at the higher end import stores. MB,Infinity,Audi, BMW,Lexus and Acura. You can find an enthusiast once in a while at VW. Otherwise, they usually know very little except the sales script.
    Thanks, chuck1919:

you have totally redeemed yourself in my eyes, with your last post. :-) :-)

thanks for the encouragement; guess what?

last night my "Sonata-buying nightmare" came to an end.
    found THE car and got THE price.
    It was pretty tough, though, and the 4 hrs have left me exhausted, so if anyone want details, just let me know.
    I did learn a few new things, though.
    And yes, chuck1919, the list of tricks & ruses & lies & omissions is pretty long.
    But ya gotta adimire them sometimes. and they do have mouths to feed, so .....
    I'll not post some of the Hyundai-generated holdbacks, kick-backs, bonuses, and "private" incentives that help these guys make a living. At least I won't post it publically ..... if you want some details just PM me directly.

So back I go this morning, to pick up my new car; only 22 miles away so it's fairly local.
    I had been looking as far as 125 miles away, with well over a dozen dealerships involved in quoting me prices.
    (yes, I left the car there, without touching it, after the deal was all done & signed; they were REALLY p*ssed about THAT, let me tell you! wanted me to at least drive it around the block before leaving it there.) but I needed to sleep on it and let it all sink in, and gather together whatever residual questions I still have.

Thanks to you all who contributed to my ever-increasing knowledge about this process, and to those who sympathized with my various aborted attempts to become a Sonata owner.

.......later

Rick
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    Why did they want you to drive it around the block?
  • abigmutt: I'd appreciate hearing your info on price, kickbacks, incentives, etc. - my wife and I will be shopping tomorrow and frankly I could use the help.
    edited May 2010
    I found this website to be very helpful. www.capitalone.com
    I used this website in past and I find their auto buying program very useful.
    You don't have to get a loan from them. Just click on "Auto Loan" then to " Auto buying program" Once you select the brand and model with all the options, it shows you what dealers are willing to sell their cars for. Helpful section will be "what others really paid" This section shows true dealer cost, factory invoice, great price, and etc... If you click on tab, it shows what the holdback is for the dealers. This website will email you "guaranteed pricing certificate". I used this website to get leverage from nearest dealer from my house and it worked out great. I purchased 2011 Toyota Sienna and 2011 Hyundai Sonata. For 2011 Sienna, I was able to get $500.00 less and free oil change up to 30,000 miles from initial nego. On Sonata, I told the sales manager "if you don't discount another "$600.00, I will go to a dealer that guaratee me that pricing". Thank god he accepted because silver Sonata Se was selling like hotcakes and it was hard to locate the one that I like. BTW that other dealer was 146 miles away.

PS.. On these Sonatas, please check before you purchase
    1. look for center console rattle (assembled poorly)
    2. check the door latches (recall.. )
    3. sunglass holder ( I purchased with defective sunglass holder )

I have been to their service dept 2 times already and they are ordering me a new one.