Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    No one should pay sticker. Try Amex/ Zag Auto Buying Service with various zip codes and you should target 25k. If you go back to the old posts on this forum you should be able find a NE area purchaser who got a good deal.

As for trade in I would not even bring it up till the new car price has been negotiated. You will get better trade in at Car Max than at new car dealership!

Since its end of the month you will get good deal but must be patient. Never deal with salesman but contact internet/fleet sales mgr. by email and than phone if he has the car and is willing. Hyundai has factory to dealer incentives (varies each month) and you should be able to buy well below invoice!

Good luck!
  • Thanks for the feedback/advice.

It has been a while since I last bought a car. I guess I was foolish to think that walking into the dealership in Framingham MA would yield me positive results. I still can't believe they actually pretend to charge MSRP. All that did was make me upset. Too bad too...I work at a large company just down the street - I could have posted nice things about them to the company intranet and maybe swayed some people to consider the Sonata. Their loss.

I have done as you suggested an contacted the internet sales managers at several local dealerships. Hopefully they will be able to price the cars in the mid 24,000 range. That is the price point where I will buy.
  • sporky944sporky944 Posts: 2
    I agree with others here on the tactic to use when negotiating. Contact internet managers and get a price up front before discussing trades. I bought mine at Ed Voyles in Atlanta. Great experience. In and out in about an hour. Lived up to everything they promised via email.
    Paid $22000, plus $599 "doc fee" , plus tax. Probably could have gotten a better price a few months ago but dealer inventory is low now. Almost no one had a Harbor gray SE left so I''m happy.
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    A $599 "doc fee" is totally outragious!

Some states have placed a mandatory cap of $50 for doc fees. This, in my opinion, is wrong as no government should regulate what a business can charge for a service....that said, however, no dealer should charge such an outragious fee for a service that probably takes the salesman less than 15 miutes to complete.

I paid $99 back in 2009...only because the dealer said he wouldn't lower it as that was what he was charging everyone else.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,810
    edited June 2011
    Living in Florida, that's the usual doc fee that we have to pay...outrageous, absolutely, but it is what it is. Dealers use this fee as extra profit and good luck trying to get this fee waived. I was lucky when we bought the '05 Mazda 3s six years ago and the internet guy just lowered the price of the car to make up for the doc fee. Floridians are not happy about these high doc fees but usually, we have no choice!

The Sandman :( :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• abenaben Posts: 1
    Philpal,
    I have been following your posts with stevefromoz and others. I am also in Houston and interested in a Sonata limited turbo with nav. Please let me know if you have made a deal.
    Thanks,
    Ben
  • nelson1nelson1 Posts: 40
    My Sonata Ltd. does not have the Nav, but has everything else. The MSRP was 26,250, and I got it for 23,000 +TTL. The car is ok, mpg is great, consistantly over 35 highway. However, make sure you test drive it over a rough asphalt road at highway speeds. The noise is terrible. I have 2500 miles on mine, like it pretty well, otherwise, but will probably trade it on something else pretty quickly, because of the road/tire noise. It is the noisiest vehicle I have ever owned.
  • woost007woost007 Posts: 2
    Hi Ppl,

Finally closed on a 2011 Sonata SE with NAV and sunroof. 3 yr 12K miles. 1500 down with 232/pm (inclusive of tax, title and fees). However, the vehicle had 2000 miles on it as one of the managers was using it. So they took of $200 from the residual. I will still get 36K miles for my lease and they also threw in 3 oil free changes. My question is is there any negative implication (for me) of the 2000 miles that were on the car in the situation a) return the vehicle after lease end or b) lease end purchase? Your inputs will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • seaurchinseaurchin Posts: 57
    I live in Brooklyn NY and i am trying to buy a Sonata GLS with automatic tranny and no other options. I haggled and finally walkedout of this deal,

$21,000 for GLS with Automatic tranny, 21K is the TOTAL OTD price, it includes taxes (8.75%, title registration of $300 and whatever else), 2K downpayment and i think 3+% for 48 months loan. I offered $19,500 and i was ready to buy it right there on the spot but they refused, should i offer $500 more here or is this it?
  • brianb50brianb50 Posts: 25
    edited June 2011
    Go to TRUECAR.com put in the model and options. Truecar's price is usually a good price to pay. My experience in NY was bad most dealers on Long Island wanted MSRP. We got are Sonata Limited at a slightly better price then true car.
    I didn't go into the dealer with the true car offer in hand,but I had an idea of what we wanted to pay. Good Luck shopping in NY....
  • brianb50brianb50 Posts: 25
    You should be able to pickup the Limited w/NAV for under 25,000. dealers on Long Island wanted MSRP. Drove to NJ and got car for almost $4000 of MSRP. Good Luck
  • Can you please give me some tips how you got your deal? I'm trying to get a new Sonata as i love the new look. I would appreciate your experience in purchasing my first Sonata!

THANKS!
  • jbramsjbrams Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    It's all complicated by limited inventory and the days away arrival of the 2012 models (arriving locally over the next 10 days apparently). I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, there are perhaps a dozen Sonata Hybrids in the area.

I want a red one, but I got a great price for a sky blue model. It comes with the floor mats, ipod cable, and standard stuff (not the extra $4500 package).Factory Invoice is 25,398
    MSRP is $26,545
    Truecar prices it locally at $25,698 (Santa Rosa)
    Future Hyundai in Concord offered it for $25,750

Saleswoman Chong was very helpful and pleasant, though the manager (perhaps in his role as a "heavy") was unnecessarily aggressive. They did allow me to take it home for my wife to see but she agreed that the color wasn't great (we love the red).

What do you think? Should I jump or wait for the 2012 models or wait for a better price?
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    edited June 2011
    Don't buy it if you both hate it!

On the other hand if it were my decision, I would keep the sky blue car and enjoy a color that is eisier to keep looking new, cooler in the heat and doesn't create all the drama of visible scratches and rock chips like a red car does.

The new Hyundai metalic red is stunning tho...(when it's just been detailed)

Your quoted price is probably spot on considering all the market pressure for 40 mpg vehicles these days.
  • 161river161river Posts: 1
    I got mine at Central Valley Hyundai in Modesto. They gave the same deal and located the exact color I wanted
    Just emailed their internet sales rep, it's 2 hours away from me, but for the right color and price ...
    Thanks for the info 161 river.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    I am in the market for a new 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.4liter with no extra options. What is the lowest price I can get before ttl? I am in Northern CA. Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    Maybe you can be of help. I am aggressively looking for a new 2011 Sonata SE with no extra options. Do you know of any good dealerships in the Bay Area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! So far the best quote I got is $23,800 plus ttl, which I think is a rip off!
  • $23,800 for a 2.4 SE without options?
    that is insane.
    are you in bay area?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    Not sure where you ended up, but $21k OTD with NYC taxes, assume a $75 doc fee and $200 for plates is right at $19k selling price.

I work at a Hyundai store in jersey, and unless there was loyalty money involved we'd pass on that deal. Inventory over the past 2 weeks has dropped to near zero levels.... we sold over 80 Sonatas last month. We have 9 in stock. What I'm seeing is a lot of local dealers are getting a lot less aggressive of late.

$19,500 OTD? That's closer to a $17,600 selling price. Used ex-rental 11s are doing that wholesale.
  • how come your interest rate is so high? is your credit a little banged up? i think you got a good price. i think i would seriously consider 21k otd. show me how you did that.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    Small world. I just picked up a 2012 Sonata SE from Ed Voyles in Atlanta. I paid $26,200 out the door, but I had $4500 negative equity on my trade in, so I can't complain at all. I had tried to make a deal with Cherokee Hyundai, but they were over 30k for the same vehicle, as was Cobb Co Kia for the Optima. Go figure.
    Before you buy the navigation, check it with polarized sun glasses on. I noted a really weird discoloration of the screen with the glasses on. Of course if you don't wear polarized sunglasses, this is not an issue.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Are 2012 Sonatas in? Is there any change in model? Hope they raise the front passenger seat. My wife could not see the road in 2011 Sonata.

If they don't fix it than I see that as major reason why we will not buy Sonata. Great styling, lots of features and great MPG and all that @ a reasonable price.
  • nelson1nelson1 Posts: 40
    I know of another reason why you might to reconsider buying a Sonata. I have a 2011 Limited, with 2750 miles, and I have to say, it is the noisiest car on the road that I have ever had. On certain road surfaces, forget trying to carry on a conversation, or listen to the radio. Dealer is no help, tire dealer is no help, either. I do believe it is the Kumho tires.
    Yes, the 2012's are in. As far as I can tell, not much in the way of changes. My wife is 5 ft short and has no problem seeing the road in this car. The tires are noisy on some surfaces, but I got such a good deal, I figured I could always change them out if so inclined.
  • azureskyazuresky Posts: 10
    Can't find a 2012 anywhere in Southern Calif. What state are you in?
    edited July 2011
    Just outside of Atlanta, GA. The armpit of the south.
    Just bought from Stevens Creek Momentum Hyundai. GLS with popular package 2: $20,908.80 before doc fee, tax, tile, license.

They had a couple others; they're dropping everywhere in California as of three days ago. Helped by youngest associate, he was great, very helpful.
  • that seems really high. couple posts back another poster passed on 21k otd price. is it for a 2012?