Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Nice price! That's including taxes?
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    edited November 2011
    Buy new due to warranty unless 100k is offered by dealer, its not transfereable between consumers.

I love Sonata but its price has gone up due to either dealer greed or less incentives. I was getting 2011 GLS with Pop. Equip. Pkg for 19,500 and now its 21,000. That was SE price last year and SE is 22.5k-23k.

So I got an 2012 Altima 2.5SL fully loaded for 23.5k and it has smoother quiter driving and rates as more reliable than Sonata. You can buy extended bumper to bumper warranty for up 96mths 120k for 1500 cash from Vaden Nissan, Savannah, GA or shorter length for less.

With 1750 rebates and over 1500 off invoice Altima 2.5S with convenience pkg. for about 20k. Intelligent key, power seat, auto on/off lights. automatic trans., blue tooth, aluminium 16" wheels, keyfob windows down and most other features are std on all mid size car. MPG is 26 vs 27 MPG on Sonata. Best part is most addons are done at factory like most cars come with mats, trunk organizer etc. and are invoiced at fair price. Tinting is offered free by most Nissan dealers.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who has bought a car, or intends to buy one in November 2011. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 18, 2011 and include your contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ytytytyt Posts: 1
    Shimering white and black interior.
    MSRP $31600
    Final base price $28000+tax (3.75%) +tag ($260), no dealer fee, documentation included in tag fee.

Purchase week before thanks giving, seems that end of the month trick do help.
  • Hi Folks.

I just wanted to give you the heads up that there is a $500 Prepaid Debit Card offer to folks who attend the LA Auto Show (Sign up at Hyundai kiosk) and purchase a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Hyundai Genesis Sedan, or a Hyundai Equus by (12/24/2011).

The offer details will be emailed to you shortly after you sign up.

Hope this helps.
  • Just bought my Sonata SE...... :)

Base Price: $23,946
    Floor Mats: 80.00
    Dealer fee: 597.00
    VR fee: 24.00
    Waste Tire&.. 6.50
    Sale Tax: 1,529.22
    Lemon law : 2.00
    Florida Title...: 399.00

Total: 26584.80
    Rebate - 500.00
    OTD 26,084.80 ">

Did i got a good deal????
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    Not too bad if you got the nav/sunroof version. I bought the same car without the nav.sunroof for the same price with a 4000 negative equity trade in.
  • derekstanggtderekstanggt Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    Just bought a new '12 2.0T today, thought I would share and offer some tips.

Round Rock Hyundai
    Just north of Austin, TX

2012 Pacific Blue SE Turbo

Factory options:
    Floor mats
    Cargo net
    Wheel locks
    (~$235)

Dealer installed options:
    Tint
    Pin strips
    Nitrogen in tires
    Door guards
    (~$1000)

After some intense negotiations, paid $23,499 +ttl came out to $25,240 with 2.9% for 72 mos that the dealer found at a local bank, which seemed high considering my 794 credit and my wife's 804.

So the sales manager showed me the car's "invoice" at $25,100 and tried telling me they were losing $1600 on the deal, but I honestly thought there was more wiggle room. I don't believe those fishy invoices for a second. Theres no way they would show their hand like that. Anyway, I was at my goal price already and didn't want to continue what had already proved to be a brutal fight for another couple hundred or so, so I settled.

I would advise others that if you want to get the best price possible, or your "goal" price, do NOT be intimidated by their scare tactics. They will push and bully you around, and try to make you feel stupid for offering such a "ridiculously low" offer. Don't fall for the "official, rock bottom offer" just because it's scribbled in sharpie. Also remember that you, they buyer, hold all the leverage in this deal (assuming you don't absolutely need a car today!) and can walk away at any time if you feel they won't budge or are trying to intimidate you. You can always come back later (end of month, or better, end of year) or visit another dealership. Make sure you visit at least a couple anyway, that way you can get the "best offer" from each dealership and play them against each other. Make them compete for your business.

Great car btw, we're very happy. 36.6 mpg on the highway tonight with cruise control set at 68
  • Just bought a new (5 miles) Sonata GLS Auto with no options in the Washington DC area. Used internet to receive quotes and back and forth emails to gain best price I could get. Final price I received was $19,200 +$10 title fee + $200 processing +$60 tags +$20 misc fees + state taxes. So total price for car and fees (no taxes) was $19,490. Recieved better pricing from MD dealers than VA dealers, internet pricing beat prices from haggling with salesmen by approx $900. Good luck.
  • Just bought a new (8 miles) Sonata GLS Auto with POP package, remote start factory installed (this option is very hard to find factory installed), cargo net, cargo mat, mud guards and all weather floor mats for $19,950 before taxes and fees from Fitzgerald in Gaitherburg, MD. Price includes a Hyundai $500 owner coupon and a Fitzgerald $50 referral coupon (wife car is a 2008 Hyundai Sonata also from Fitzgerald) and destination fee.
    Invoice + destination fee for the above is about $21,860. That makes it about $1900 under invoice. Dealer processing fee (extra) was $199. I believe MD limits it to $200 anyway. Everything else had to do with mandatory Maryland taxes. I got dinged about $200-300 less than what I was expecting on the trade in (this was after heavy negotiation and threatening to leave, the initial appraisal was $500 worse).

The deal seem to be somehow close with the post #8107 considering all the extra options and coupons. Might be useful for people shoping in the Washington DC area to establish a beseline.

Car manufactured 11/04 in Alabama, showed on the truck at dealer on 11/23. Seen it myself on 11/25 (Black Friday) but was no prepared yet for showing (still had dust from the transport on the paint) and I could not spend too much time in the delership as my toddler got bored realy quick. Emailed back anf forth with the sales man on 11/25 evening. Pulled a "certificate" from truecars.com (very important) that was matched over emails. Went back for test drive on 11/26 (now the car was looking very nice, prepared for show). I was the first one that tested it. While comming out of the test drive a different salesmen asked if I am stil interested as he has another client. Was ready to walk away as I do not like this kind of presure sales tactics. However I seen the "real person" with the Internet page open to the exact car I test drove. Aparently the "factory installed remote start" is quite a desirable option. Very litle bumps after that point. They insisted on a "soft credit pull" even I was not intereted in their financing and paid $1000 on a credit card (max allowed) and the rest with a personal check.

I belive the truecars.com cetificate saved me at least $800 extra from what I could have done just thru "regular negociations".
  • kmcatkmcat Posts: 1
    I am attempting to search for my new car via Internet Sales and have received several quotes from dealers. The dealer who provided the lowest "internet sales price" has now tacked on about $1300 worth of "dealer installed options" that was not included in the original price that he quoted me. ($649 for "Car Care Package", $249 for Door Edge Guards, $199 for Pinstriping, and $199 for Nitrogen in the tires.) I don't even know what the "Car Care Package" is, but I'm sure I do not want it! I do not want the other dealer installed options either. I do not feel like I should pay for any of these things! Any help/advice is much appreciated.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Run, don't walk.
  • please make sure you tell your friends about this crooked dealership so they won't go there when they are looking for a car. also, i'd throw in a complaint to the better business bureau in your state and also the internet service that steered you to this dealership.
    then go to another dealership.
  • $22644 out the door. This included a couple hundred dollars worth of extras as well. According to truecar.com, this would be the best deal ever in my area (Raleigh,NC) for this model. Pretty happy with the deal I got on this.
  • I used hyundaiusa.com and requested internet quotes from all the Hyundai dealerships in the VA & MD area and I received responses from all of them. I did this because only 1 dealer responded to my EDMUNDS.com quick quote.

I'm shopping for a 2012 GLS automatic with popular package, wheel locks, carpeted floor mats, cargo net and mud guards. I stated this in my quote request. I also stated I only wanted out-the-door prices. I got one or two email quoates that were not out the door and I responded that I only would deal in OTD quotes and they complied in their follow up emails.

So far the lowest OTD quote for the above car that I have received is $21399.17 from a MD dealership. I live in VA and this price includes all fees and VA sales tax. My price will be $500.00 lower than this because I qualify for the loyalty credit since I own a 2006 Sonata.

Since today is the last day of the month your chances are much better that a dealership will offer you their best deal. Back in 2006 I purchased a Sonata GLS V6 automatic that was stickered at $23K for $17K out the door. The dealership probably lost money on it (they had to go get it from a MD dealership) but I think they were desperate to make their number for the month because in the bigger picture, taking a small loss on my transaction probably allowed them to get some huge incentive from the Hyundai USA by meeting their sales number for the month.
  • jspamjspam Posts: 5
    edited November 2011
    Earlier this month I purchase a 2012 2.0T Limited w/cargo tray in MA.

$26,000 negotiated purchase price
    -500 loyalty rebate
    -500 motozuma match
    +70 all weather mats & mudflaps
    + 300 dealer fees
    + MA tax

The dealer is fairly new and had a very large inventory. They also gave me $1200 for my falling apart 2000 elantra. Overall Im happy with the deal.. still getting used to the funky transmission downshifts though.
    Remember the invoice price doesn't include dealer holdback (typically 15%) or other manufacturing incentives. Also, dealers get bonuses for the number of cars sold per month, so if at the end of the month and they need that one or two cars to get to their goal, they will deal. Instead of location, location, locations, it is timing, timing, timing.
  • Hyundai's holdback is 15%! Wow! Holdback is typically 2-3%, some manufacturers base it on MSRP, some on invoice.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

You go in assuming 15% holdback, you'll spend a lot of time going nowhere fast.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    The end of the month thing is not always true. High volume dealers like Town Hyundai in Dennville, NJ and Fiztmall offer the same deals throughout the month. Our most recent purchase was Feb. 2007; '07 Sonata SE MSRP $22,080, purchase price $16,650. OTD with 6% tax, registration and various fees was $18,189. This price was quoted by Towne Hyundai on Feb 16, 2007, the middle of the nonth. Our price included $500 owner loyalty rebate & $1,000 rebate for financing with HMFC.
    I noted the 15% dealer holdback based on an article I read (on edmunds) a few years back. It appears that number may be incorrect based on your link.
  • Beginning of month, emailed all dealers around me requesting quotes. I had to drive 100 miles for it, but local dealer only offered $1000 off MSRP in internet quote.

Options: Navigation, floor mats, cargo mat, cargo net, mud guards
    MSRP: $29645
    Invoice: $27939 (incl. $271 regional ad fee)
    Truecar: $27139

Final Price: $26200 plus $55 doc fee, title, taxes. Didn't qualify for incentives.
  • Just got a price from a Pittsburgh, PA dealer for 24,770 for a 2.4 limited - no navi, etc. - base package with carpet mats, trunk mat, cargo net - 26,781 with tax etc. Could be less depending on what my 2000 camry with 124K miles might take off. Decent price or keep pushing?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,769
    I saw a really good deal on a GLS lease in my local paper today, for Walser Hyundai in the Twin Cities: $140/month + $2599 down + TTL, for 36 months. Even spreading out the down payment over the lease term, it's a little over $210 a month, which is pretty low for a mid-sized lease these days. Another dealer in the same town and paper advertised $199/month with $2599 down for 36 months.
  • How did you like the Turbo so far, any feedback? i'm planning to buy one b4 X'mas,25370+ tax is a best price i guess for limited turbo! i'm looking for limited Turbo as well w/o nav.
    Thanx n happy holidayz
  • Been waiting all year to get the 2012 Sonata. Though I'd wait till they offered 2012 Sonata with 0% financing. That didn't happen.

Got a ton of quotes but decided to go Patrick Hyundai. They were the most communicative over the last few months

They had the iridescent silver blue pearl sonata marked for $22,899+tax. I had a quote for $19,937 from Lauren Hyundai and barely got them to beat it.

So for $20,217 I got the Sonata GLS with pop entrainment package, front and back floor mats, trunk net, mudguards and the door protectors (not my idea....mother was with me...she's paying for those).

My OTD price was $22,2xx. Was able to get the recent graduate rebate ($400)---I graduated 2009 and Motozuma match of $500...So I basically got the car for $19k.

Please message me if there are questions or comments. I can tell you who my salesman was or if need more details.
  • longo2longo2 Posts: 347
    Way to go!

I have been watching for the same model in that beautiful color.
    Only way I will ever get see one would be to special order it I guess. From what you paid for it, I think it's a much better deal than the Elantra.

Does it look more silver, or light blue to you?

Hope yours turns out great!
  • If your really set on that color, contact your local dealer, i'm sure they can do a trade.

At night, it looks more silverish, during the day ( or under light) its blue. It really changes colors depending on the angle.

Been waiting around for a good price. Got a few quotes. used truecar and carwoo to get good. Motozuma was great too.
  • Hey guys,

I'm shopping for a Lease. Been using Leaseguide(dot)com as my calculator.

I have 2 problems:

1) I cant seem to match the monthly payments from the dealers. Here are my numbers:

Sonata SE in Dallas TX:

MSRP: 24100
    Sale price: 21500 + TTL
    MF = 0.0019 (seems high for me)
    Residual Value = 60%
    36 months
    12K a year
    Sales tax: 6.25%

dealer quoted $335 a month with 335 for first month.
    I used Leaseguide(dot)com and I'm getting $211

Where's it going wrong here? Does anyone have a better calculator that they can share?

2) MF of 0.0019 seems very high. Car_Man is showing 0.00119. I have spoke to 3-4 dealers in Dallas, they are either pushing "Balloon Leases" or their Hyundai Finance lease rates are no where close to 0.00119.

Any ideas or suggestions on this?!?!?!
  • 2 weeks ago, I finally purchased my Sonata Limited 2.0T with Navi, carpet floormats, cargomat, cargo net, ipod cable, tinted windows, wheel locks, rear bumper applique - Total MSRP $31,435. Paid $27,700 + TTT. Came to about $31k OTD incl extended VSC warranty for 10 yrs or 110k miles. APR we got was 3.9%.

I got laughed at by the Brandon dealer for getting a fully loaded car for under $30k (invoice), but i was able to do it! So glad that I did not go with them, bad experience. Thanks to Crown Hyundai for your service! And thanks to edmunds for this forum. It helped alot in my research. I was able to get my price without the hubby's help. =)
  • Hey,

Been reading up on the forum and I'm ready to go in and negotiate for my 2012 Sonata Limited 2.4.

Been hearing that timing is everything and since the end of year and end of month is coming up I'm ready to go in. Does anyone have any tips on using this type of leverage?

Also couple of questions I'd like to clarify before going..

What is this Motozuma discount some people are getting?
    Should the recent graduate rebate be mentioned during negotiations or will it be honored after the final price is said and done?
    Finally what should I look out for when doing the financing? Do people generally use the dealership financing or should I go to my bank to ask for it?

Thanks a lot in advance and happy holidays!