Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• markm75markm75 Posts: 11
    Nice, thanks for that tip on the msrp and bluetooth.. i was hoping the bt was like the one that is integrated in the equinox.. oh well.. i use a moto headset, works fine though.

Sounds like they may be about $1200 too high, which is what i figured.

I'm not good at getting them to come down in prices.. i can mention that i know of some that have gotten the limitted series at the price they are offering.. maybe that will help.. or mention they are making $3k either way via rebates..

The limitted has the dual zone auto air conditioning doesnt it? IE: set it to 72 and it just runs (like my grand prix)?

Perhaps i could get a deal on a limited that had this feature at your msrp example/sale price.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    Not sure what part of PA you are in, but I also live in PA (Johnstown area) and we purchased two Hyundais last year. We ended up buying from a dealer by my sister in DC/VA because at the time, none of the dealers within a two hour drive of Johnstown would go lower than invoice minus rebates, and even that was tough to get! This PA market area doesn't seem to be as competitive as other markets so dealers around here are not as discount happy as others may be. :sick:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    ...or mention they are making $3k either way via rebates..

How do you figure the dealer is making $3k after the rebates? Markup on Sonatas including the holdback isn't anywhere near $3k. And wasn't their quote less than MSRP even before rebates were applied?
  • markm75markm75 Posts: 11
    by that I meant the dealer gets $3000 either way. Not that they necessarily make that in profit

so anyone care to conjecture what will happen w the rebates after nov 2nd. Stay same. Go away increase etc
  • Yes, the Limited has dual zone auto climate control. It also has leather, auto dimming mirror, Infinity sound system and sunroof. Please keep in mind that my deal was on a 2009 model. If you can find one in your area, you should try to get the same deal. No difference between the '09 and '10 models.
  • I was traded in a 2007 Hyundai Sonata with 58,000 miles. The 2007 needed brakes but had the sunroof, hubcap rims, had the I4 engine, and xm radio. Owed $9,100 and this is all I wanted on trade in value.

Purchased a 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited I4. Did not want navigation or bluetooth. Car was power white pearl had floor mats included. I did not qualify for military or college rebates. Dealer went to $23,100.00. This also included the $500.00 Hyundai loyalty rebate. I also finance with Hyundai Motor Finance for 1.9% over 72 months. I gave up the $1,000 rebate from Hyundai by doing this. I paid title tax and tags out of pocket.
  • Purchased a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited I4 with navigation for 21K + Tax+ DMV+Doc fee (55) (Bay area). I am not sure if the price is good and the vehicle quality. However, the edmunds forum information has been a good part of my decision towards this purchase. Thanks for all the postings.
  • dovid2dovid2 Posts: 90
    Congratulations on your new Sonata. I got the same car in April for $21.7, so I think you did pretty well. As for the quality, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. We've had four Hyundais in the last nine years and each has been great.
    One Web reviewer said this of the Sonata: "It feels like a quality car, and not in a cheap way". By which I assumed he meant it felt like Hyundai had not used cheap measures in the car in an effort to imitate quality.
  • Hello folks, sorry for replying kind of late to your post I just found it and would like
    to add a little information for the people who are may be looking at new Sonatas.
    We all know by now the 2010 has very little or no change from the 2009. I bought
    a new 2009 SE V6 in July this year with all the standard SE equipment plus a few
    add on's like mud guards, body striping, all floor mats including trunk, and a extra
    window tinting on top of the standard solar glass.No bluetooth or navigation in it
    (don't want it, don't need it).
    The MSRP on the sticker was $25,096. I don't know what extra options I could have
    got on it even if I wanted them. Compared to the V6 Limited @ $27,665. thats a huge difference $2569. I'm not disputing the $400. difference at your dealership but
    that is a ridicules price for the SE V6 considering Edmunds, KBB, etc has MSRP
    listed at under $25,000. If that is what they told you the difference was, it would be
    hard for me to believe anything else they say.
  • Wondering if anyone can give me an idea what a Base GLS 5spd 2010 Sonata may go for? I am looking for the entry level 5 speed, a second car for the family. Any help would be appreciated and any links to specials would also help. Fitzmall did not seem to be particulary cheap.

Thanks in advance!

mobo
  • mobo137:

I snagged my '09 GLS manual for $14,500 OTD back in April. You probably won't be able to get anywhere near that kind of price for a '10 any time soon. In fact, I wouldn't expect to be able to get a great price on the '10 until some time in the spring or even summer of '10.

Once the newly redesigned '11s start showing up on the dealship lots, I'd expect a HUGE price drop on the '10s, as most people will want the new design.

Do any of your local dealers have 09 GLS Sonatas in stock? You should be able to get a great price on those now.

If I had to guess what a base model '10 Sonata GLS manual would be going for right now, I'd say $17,700 - $18,500 would be considered a great deal.

I hope that helps.
  • dca4dca4 Posts: 5
    does anyone have an idea what's a good price on the 2010 i4 Limited? i got a quote for $21,500 +TTL (no navigation). MSRP is 25,700 including destination charge.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    OK, OK, so it's $0 after trade-in, before license and title fee. I couldn't resist saying $0. :)

I just traded my Blue Bunny (2007 Rabbit 2-door) even-up for a 2007 Sonata GLS I4 AT with the Preferred Package (power seat, trip computer, leather wheel with audio controls, auto headlamps, etc.). Has 37,000 one-owner miles (not a rental), new Kumho Solus tires, and looks and drives like new. It's steel grey, which is my favorite color from the 2007 MY.

I loved the Rabbit, had it only 8 months, but we just got rid of our Chrysler minivan and found my wife needs a little bigger car, and one that is easier to climb in and out of (she has a bad back and knees). Our other car at home is an Elantra. So I decided if I could trade the Rabbit even-up for a bigger car, I would do it. I found two Sonatas with exactly the same color and equipment, but one had the new tires and the other a bit fewer miles with original rubber. The dealer with the 37k Sonata finally agreed to the even-up trade after haggling; the other dealer stuck firm at $400 + T&L. Both dealers were pleasant to work with, professional and up-front, no tricks. I bought the car from Luther Hyundai Kia in Bloomington, MN.

I've always liked the Gen 4 Sonata and almost bought one a couple of times, including last spring when I bought the Rabbit. I think it has a great combination of room, quiet ride, and buttoned-down style for the money. And it will be a better car for my wife to haul the family around in, and even for the occasional long trip.

If anyone is wondering, yes, I did take the car for a long drive and checked for any unusual suspension noise. I drove on my favorite "test track", a back road with washboard surfaces, potholes, and curves. No strange noises from the suspension. I did notice a little tire whine on a textured freeway surface, but I've heard that kind of noise on the same road on other cars so I chalk it up to normal tire noise.

The "Internet special price" of the Sonata was $11k, down from $12k. Loan value is $12.3k per my bank. I bought the Rabbit last April for $11k + T&L, and put zero into the car except gas, so my cost of ownership for the Rabbit was pretty low. Book value is around $9500 for trade-in. Plus it's due for its 40k service, which would have probably cost a few hundred bucks, while the Sonata shouldn't need any major maintenance for 2-1/2 years based on how far we drive in a year. And it has about 2-1/2 years of factory warranty left.
  • Congrats on the car, man! Sounds like you got a fair deal on the trade in. I'm sure the steel grey paint job looks great with those tires (especially with a nice coat of Armor-All rubbed on).

Happy driving!
  • Hi - The delaer I am working with in Roseville CA offered 18K OTD for 2010 base GLS model. I am bargaining for 17.5k and will also ask for 0% PAR with tinted windows. Is it a fair price and what are the chnaces I will get it?

Any suggestions are appreciated
  • Just got home with a silver GLS, manual transmission for 15300 and 0% over 5 years.

Mobo
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,680
    mobo: Wow--that's a great deal on an impressive car! Please give a report on how the manual shifts. Was it hard to get that deal, or did they pretty much just give it to you?

Many congratulations. Again, that's an amazing price on a very nice car.

Any other thoughts on the car so far? I assume you do not have the dreaded suspension thunk that has plagued a few Sonatas over the years?
  • Lithia Hyundai of Renton (near seattle) is advertising the car for 12999 after all rebates. I do not qualify for the military, college, nor the 1000 so the price was 15400 including only floor mats. My local dealer who I bought my 2008 Santa Fe Limited would not match the price. Everett Hyundai (near seattle) actually bettered it by 100. but only if I took one in stock. Which I did, took about 1 hour including financing.

Lithia ad is still up until tomorrow. Good Luck.

No suspension thunk and the shifter is smooth like butter, much nicer than a 09 I test drove 6 months ago.

Mobo
  • Congrats on the car!

I have the '09 GLS manual, I paid $14,500 back in April. You got a great deal!

You're right, the shifting on the '09 GLS is not as smooth as one would like. The clutch takes some getting used to as well. It feels like you have to let the clutch out 6 inches before it will catch. After a while I got used to it.
  • Started looking for a base 2010 Sonata GLS 4 dr. automatic. So far the best OTD price I have found is $18,250 with 0% financing for 5 years in lieu of the 1k rebate. I think I can do better. Not in a hurry. Any thoughts?