Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jmhjpjmhjp Posts: 10
    My credit is 693, maybe this is the problem with me not getting the best deal out there.

Let me know guys what do you think....the clock is ticking.....thank you .
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I don't like to put money down on a lease. The only reason I've leased cars (and I am leasing one now, FWIW) is because I have been able to get a very low payment with nothing or almost nothing out of pocket. And at the time I leased, that's exactly what I was looking for. So financially, it was a good deal compared to buying.

The only time I ever put significant money down on a lease was in 1997 when I leased a Sentra. The terms were $99 a month, but about $2800 up front, for 39 months. I figured my costs per month, including the up front payment, and figured it was far and away the best deal I could get at that time. In fact, I had salespeople from competing dealerships e.g. Honda tell me, "If you can lease for that price, I'd go for it."

My current lease is for a 2010 Sentra 2.0 S that I got for $179/month for 39 months, with only the first payment up front. So dealer paid all other taxes and fees--or they were included in the payment. They even tossed in a free Garmin nav system and a portable DVD player. Again, it was the best deal on a comparable car I could find at that time, and was almost nothing out of pocket.

So the question you need to ask yourself is, what is your total outlay per month, including up-front money? And is that a good deal compared to buying, or leasing from another dealer or leasing another car (if you are even considering another car)? Also you need to ask yourself how sure you are that you'll want to keep the Sonata for the entire lease term. If not, it will be very expensive for you to get rid of it, due to the up-front money you paid, which you will likely never get back if you have to sub-lease the car.

Also, how much negotiating did you do with this dealer, and with other Hyundai dealers? If you didn't negotiate much if at all, you likely didn't get the best deal possible. And at this time of year, you should be able to get a very good deal.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    backy: Good point on leasing being a good deal when no money upfront or VERY low lease payment with money upfront. Current lease deals advertise low payment but fineprint the $3000 down that works out to $80 per month or more to result in that low payment. Another trick is the ole lease acquisition fee that adds big bucks to the cost of the car ($500 or more at times). Another important point is that after 36 months of lease payments you do not own the car. A good low rate car loan ( 3-3.5% for 72 months) may result in you owing approx. 50% of the original loan amount for $30-$50 per month more in payments and you still own the car (or at least half of it). There is no one answer for all - low lease payments for 36 months and you start over with anew car and lease or pay more per month and you own half the car with 36 more payments to pay it off and you have a 6 year old car. Lease deals have current lease rates of 0 to 3% so there are some great deals if that suits your overall plan. Enjoy the new car!
  • kcmoverkcmover Posts: 29
    Trying to decide between the two vehicles. I would be buying the loaded Sonata Limited, Leather Seats, Navigatioin loaded vs a Toyota Camry. Price point the Sonata is about 2,000 less in price but am a getting an equel value today and when I sell the car inaobut 24 to 36 months.

Thanks,
  • Any feedback at all people? Especially the ppl living in the LA area who bought something similar or got a quote for the same vehicle?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    1) Which car do you like driving the most? Which car meets your needs better, e.g. passenger room, trunk space, features?

2) Given you plan to keep the car only 2-3 years, your best bet might be a lease. Have you looked at leases on these two cars?
    We faced the same question. Sonata (GLS with PEP) vs. Camry (SE model).
    Camry seemed dated and boxy vs. new Sonata with one year old styling. Also the price points were about the $2000 diff. you referenced. Same I- 4 with 6 speed and equipment so choice was warranty coverage price and overall apppearance. Resale on Sonata is very close to Toyota in addition to the Hyundai Assurance plan that guarantees value up to 48 months if car is trade in at Hyundai. We chose Sonata but each to his own. good luck.
  • benanddebibenanddebi Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Andrew, we currently have a 2011 and thinking about trading for a 2012. What dealer do you recommend. We live in Missouri the St. Louis area.
    Thanks.
  • jshaikjshaik Posts: 2
    I got my Sonata turbo limited with Navigation on 12/30/11

-500 (Hyundai finance rebate)
    6% MI tax
    190 doc. fee
    47 title transfer

29111 OTD
  • Bought my 2011 SE in June 11 for $21,000. ($24k MSRP) Just traded it towards a 2012 Limited.
    2012 Limited MSRP $27,255, bought for $24,444. Traded my 2011 (11,800 miles) for $18,800. That is some good resale value. Almost 90%.
    Loved the Sonata, but I already damaged two wheels. Had to get them repaired or replaced, chose to repair for $125 each time.
    SE was a little rough riding but I loved the look of the 18" wheels. But living in Northeast, I was probably going to spending a lot of time and money repairing the wheels.
    So here I am in the Limited. (No navigation)
    So far, so good.
  • Was your SE a 2.0T(turbo) and did you get the turbo on your limited?
  • No Turbo on either SE or Limited. I beleive Turbo comes with the 18" alloys, which I am avoiding like the plague after damaging two.
    We also made it a point to avoid the 18" wheel option vehicles that almost always come with the new (read VERY expensive) low profile tires. We have that setup on a 2010 Buick Lacrosse and it handles excellently but the sidewall clearnace between rim & road is much less than 60 or 65 series tires. On that car they are 50 series so not bad but those $500 aluminum rims want as much cushion as possible IMO, so we went for the sonata GLS with 205x65 -16" "normal tires". Car rides great and rims are more secure.
  • joez07joez07 Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Bought just before New Year (Harrisburg, PA)
    2012 Sonata GLS man, winter gray, cargo net, floor mat, mud guard
    Price: $18,200-$500 (Incentive via Hyundai financing, can be paid off in 3 mo)
    Final price = $17,700
    Fees: ~$220
    Total with sales tax: $18,980
    A happy owner
  • I'm getting a 2012 Hyundai Sonata for 20,500. With popular option, like the second option for the GLS model. Excluding taxes, dmv / title charges, and destination. Also im getting 2012 Honda Accord for 18,988 excluding taxes, dmv, and destination charges. My question is are the prices good, should I be asking for a lesser price? And which car do you think I should get for those prices. I live in NYC. If you have anyother suggestions. Please Let Me know. I don't know much about cars, so thanks for the help. =p
  • Regarding the Hyundai...

What is the "second option"? I assume this is an automatic which is an upgrade from manual?

Your car has an invoice price of $19,821. You should be paying BELOW invoice not ABOVE. I paid about $1,500 UNDER invoice.

Have you investigated Edmonds TMV (true market value)? Have you looked at TrueCar.com? Once you have those number KNOW YOU CAN DO BETTER. Those are average. You are not average because you are doing research and know you can beat average!!

Do your research and then tell them what you are expecting to pay UNDER invoice. Tell them that you know people are getting deals under invoice and shop around.

I got my 2012 SE with Turbo for $21,000 out the door including all fees, but excluding state tax and license. My car invoice was over 23,500 with my features. It appears you are paying almost as much for a GLS model that I paid for my SE with Turbo.

I walked away from a lot of dealerships before I got my deal. I was basically told I was crazy and that they would lose money on the deal. They wont. They CAN go lower.

Good Luck
  • Sorry, I didn't notice this message before now... I would recommend contacting the internet sales department and Green Hyundai in Springfield, IL. It's about a 2 hour drive from STL but for me it was WELL worth the trip.
  • Thank you so much! the second option is with the shiftronic automatic power driver seat and alloy wheels. Um btw where do you live which dealership did you get it from? and yes i will look around cause kbb was saying fair purchase price 20,900. so i thought it was a good price. and again thanks for replying!
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    Yes, GLS with Popular Equipt. Pkg. plus automatic should be around 19k-19.5k. Accord 4 door LX-P w/automatic is about the same. Frankly, in long run Accord is more solidly build car with quiter engine but Sonata offers a lot of features that you will not get on Accord at that price, such as XM radio, blue tooth, automatic lights and it does have better warranty. I was going to get Accord EX or Sonata SE but switched to Altima since they have rebates and dealer discounts and are selling for about 5k below invoice.

Check out 2012 2.5S Altima with Conv. Pkg could be had for about 18.5 or so and it offers a lot more than either car in terms of quieter ride, reliability but not better safety ratings.
  • alookmanalookman Posts: 141
    I forgot, use Costco or Amex or Zag car buying service with MD zip codes and you will get better pricing than NYC.

Know of a person who got superb deal in NJ on an Altima which has up to 3150 in rebates plus dealers will knock off 1600-2000 additional.