Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ffxjackffxjack Posts: 47
    Just wondering why extended warranties are garbage? I know for Honda, you can buy online for much cheaper but it's the same Honda extended warranty.
    Where do you find the dealer hold back and incentive info?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,408
    edited October 2012
    Should also be on the Edmunds home page.

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• saz25saz25 Posts: 152
    Hold backs
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Incentives also show up when you price the car on edmunds.com and kbb.com

Steve
    Thanks. Interesting since the Edmunds explanation on hold backs tell people that many dealers are unwilling to negotiate their hold back.
    "Thanks. Interesting since the Edmunds explanation on hold backs tell people that many dealers are unwilling to negotiate their hold back"

That's the trick. You never mention holdbacks to them during your negotiation. You just tell them your price. No need to tell them how you arrived at that number. Once you start to give them too much information, the process goes against you from there.

I even avoid all the small talk about how many miles I drive each year, how many kids I have, what kind of driving I do, city vs. highway, what I do for a living, etc. Its a cash sale, so they shouldn't care (or need to know) about anything except the price.

Remember, these people are not your friends. They are adversaries in the negotiation process. Its strictly business at that point.

Steve
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    the difference between these two cars is this.the honda will get better resale value while the sonata will have way more features for the money including a better warranty.if you plan on keeping the car for atleast 5 years,the sonata is the way to go....
    what was your final negotiated price before TTT??
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    I know this strategy worked well for you on the purchase of a Sonata because this car is in high demand. I'm looking at purchasing a 3.8l Genesis Sedan loaded with Prem/Tech packages. Do ou think this would work on that car that's not in high demand like the Sonata? Looking to buy end of Nov. maybe Dec.
    Lashawn, I am Looking to buy a 2013 Hyundia Genesis, V6 with all the Toys, or the new 2013 Honda Accord, V6... EXL. The style is very similar, size, and the features are pretty close. My thoughts are if i opt for the Accord i will save about 12k. when i compare them side to side on edmunds they are pretty close in size, horsepower , V6 only, and tech features. Gas mpg better on Accord. The Genesis will be redesigned for 2014 with a 10 speed trans and i would think more updated Tech features. I dont want to wait till next Nov, 2014 . I plan to buy either car in Jan 2013. I have not decided yet. Price wise here in New york/ New jersey Invoice price on the Accord is do able right now. I would say by Jan 2013 I could buy for 500 below invoice. That is my target price on the Accord. The 2013 Hyundia Genesis Pricing will be determined by Supply and Demand. My target price on the Genesis will be starting at 1000 below Dealers Invoice price and No dealerships Doc Fee's added on to sale. I will work my below invoice number up to no more than 500 below invoice. Thats where my bottom line price to buy this car stands.. As you get older and wiser you look to get the best bang for your buck. The Hyundia Genesis is one of the best bangs for the buck out there. I own a 2012 Bmw, X5 and this one is my last high end vehicle. There are many good vehicles being built now under 45k.............. Good luck

• I just purchased the GLS with popular package, all mats, tinted window at $19019. $20600 OTD, about $2700 below invoice. I purchased it in Houston TX.
  • ref:8537
    WOW, that's an awesome price. Did you have any other rebates (military, loyalty, etc.) to get the price so low?
    Good luck with it...
    what was the msrp of this car...your price is way,way,below invoice..like the other poster mentioned,where there any rebates involved here to get to that price???
    Just an FYI. Anyone can get those rebates. I am not a veteran nor a former Hyundai owner but I was able to get all the so-called rebates, over $2000.

I was very clear that I was not a veteran or a loyalty customer but that I wanted to pay approx. $2400 under invoice.
    Two dealers agreed to my offer. Of course, three others didn't.
    Steve
  • 999eezz999eezz Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    I have no idea what type of rebates I have gotten. I follow Brian's and Steve's calculation to figure out my offer price. Initially, I asked for $20400 OTD for a basic model without package. The dealer agreed to that price. However, I went to the wrong dealer, that dealer doesn't have the color I want but they offerred me $20000 OTD to take another color. The 2nd color choice they have has the package built in. So I added $600. I guess we don't have to know of what current incentives or rebates, they always have something going on. Just follow Brian's calculation. You will never go wrong. Remember to purchase your car at the end of the month. Call all dealerships to tell them you offer price. It is so much easier than negotiating back and forth. Good luck.

Thanks Steve and Brian for your advices.

I was offerred $1295 for 10 yrs/?? miles, $0 deductible hyundai Platinum extended warranty (administer by Fidelity), should I buy it? Finance manager said I can purchase it within a week. The reason why I am considering is too many electronic components that can fail easily, like bluetooth, computer parts...etc. Please advice
  • Just looked it up, the msrp was $22595.
  • I was curious to see if you bought your 2013 SE, I am starting to look for a new car and am trying to get some figures to take into the dealership. Thanks.
  • Hey guys,

Been following the posts in here for the past month or so gearing up towards getting my new car. It's been so helpful and I'm starting to feel quite confident (although never as confident as until after you've successfully done something) about going through this process. I live in NY and we were hit hard with this storm as most who aren't from the Northeast probably know about. In any case, I thought I had the perfect situation with respect to going in on Oct 31 since Monday and Tuesday everything was shut down. I was expecting to be in tip top shape for prime negotiation, but was still unable to get there then :( I know the end of the month is always best, but I'm hoping that with this crisis that's been going on there haven't been many sales and they'll be willing to do a good deal, as I don't really have much of a choice now with my current lease set to go back on the 10th.

In any event, I've been going back and forth on what to do for this next one, but from your knowledge and experience, would this negotiation work just the same with respect to the sales price of the car within a lease deal?
  • kibbler1138kibbler1138 Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    I live in Maryland and bought my '13 Sonata Limited w/ Premium package in "Shimmering White" (+$200!) on the 31st. I thought I had done well until I read this forum. I've been having buyer's remorse since the drive home. I like the car a lot, but I wanted so badly to get a good deal and now I'm totally distraught over the price I paid.

All the dealerships in my area (Frederick and Washington counties) were either closed, had phone lines down, or were just otherwise not making a lot of sales on Monday and Tuesday during the brunt of Sandy. I figured I had picked a really sweet time to go for the purchase. I worked two local dealers on the phone (one about 50 miles from where I work) and they wound up coming to equilibrium. I picked the further dealership which I actually preferred because I had been in a year ago and they treated me much better than when I went for a test drive at the closer dealer.

After the deal was done, I immediately realized I paid too much: My "OTD" price was 27,050... but that included $200 doc fees (d'oh!), and -$1500 in rebates. The sales guy kept going on about how he had never seen a sonata discounted that deeply (yada yada yada). I had been using truecar and various sources to try to find a good price, but I missed out on finding actual buyer stories.

Oh... and that wasn't my OTD price. I said no to the extended warranty and service plans three times... but not a fourth. Tacked on an additional $1900 in the end. I knew it was dumb as the words came out of my mouth, but... what can I say. I'm a sucker. For the past two days, I've been calling Fidelity Warranty (owns the Hyundai extended service/warranty plans) to try to cancel. They don't have record of the contract yet (they do say it takes 2 business days to get into the system). If I can successfully cancel the contract (good luck to me), I'll at least feel a little better about the price I paid.

Blah.

Point being, I don't think Sandy gave anyone an advantage at the dealer that wouldn't already have an advantage due to their strong negotiation skills.