Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• saz25saz25 Posts: 152
    Is this a typo?
    MSRP and invoice are the same?
    Steve
  • Sorry for the typo earlier. I really appreciate your prompt reply, Steve.

It appears that 2012 GLS is not available near my place. I am looking at 2013 GLS.

MSRP: $20,995
    Invoice: $20,105

Here is my calculation:
    Invoice: $20,105
    Dealer Holdback (-3%): -$603
    Manufacturer to Dealer Inc: -$2000 ($1500-$2000)
    Offer price: $17,502

I own a Hyundai ($500 discount) and I am graduate student too ($400 credit). If I take HMF, I am eligible for $1000 discount.

Does $2000 discount include all possible incentives (student, loyal customer, veteran, manufacturer to dealer inc, etc.,) except HMF finance discount ?

TIA.
    Hi,
    Yes, the $2000 is the total of all incentives I know about for the Hyundai Sonata. Its good that you qualify for many of them.

They may insist that in order to get the $1000 HMF discount you may need to finance at least some amount. In my case, I wanted to pay cash for the whole purchase, but finally agreed to finance the minimum, which was $6000. I later paid it in full before the first payment was due. It seems that the finance company pays the dealer something just to get a loan customer regardless of when its paid off. So this is another revenue source for the dealer.

I would offer a nice round number, say $17,600. I'm sure they will have to get the sales manager involved. Also, insist on no doc fee. If they say that you have to pay it then you insist on lowering the $17,600 price accordingly and tell them its a deal breaker and that you will go to another dealer who will meet you $17,600 all-inclusive price. Of course there is additional state tax and other fees which are standard among all dealers in a given state.

Don't tell them how you arrived at the $17,600 price. I would just say that "this is what I am going to pay. Do you really want to earn my business?"

Good luck. Let us know what happens. It should be interesting.

My only concern is that with a vehicle with not many options and a low price point, there isn't much margin for the dealer. So they may push back. With a $30,000 or $40,000 car, the dealer may have more wiggle room.

Steve
  • ms_mms_m Posts: 1
    I haven't "shopped" around for a car in 10 years but I felt that it was time to put my car [Annie Mae] to rest. The information and suggestions provided on this forum have been GREAT!!! I must admit that I was a bit hesitant to try [or present] some of the suggested methods...but I must say that IT WORKS!!! Pushing the calculation limits, I made an initial offer of $24,500 (no doc fees) with pick up by COB today. As a result of the counter offer...this evening, I will be the owner of a 2013 Sonata Limited with the Premium Package [yeah for navigation and panoramic sunroof!!!], mud guards [personal pref that I wanted] and some other extras for $24,800 (NO DOC FEES PLUS TAX). The counter was $26800 - $1000 for HMF - $1000 in additional rebates which brought the total to $24,800!!! I am on Cloud 18!!! :shades:
    Excellent !!
    Glad to help.
    This is awesome.
    Congrats. Enjoy.

Steve
  • Hi, I just left the dealers, I signed a few papers but its not in steel yet. I have some questions. I know I was taken advantage of. I wanted the tech package with the nav, backup cam, all the good stuff. Didn't get the turbo tho. I think the price was around 26,000. I plan on putting $1,000 down. He said my payments would be $329 a month. I feel like I'm getting ripped off, there are sooo many deals w Sonata's right now. I think they took advantage cuz I'm a young girl with no clue about sonatas cuz I was originally wanting an elantra.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,613
    Are you leasing? Because that payment seems way too low for a purchase...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I see your type all the time. Depending on the car and its availability and demand for it, will determine if I even take your offer to the manager. I have never and I repeat never, gave up holdback which can be anywhere from 200 and up depending on the price of the car. I have sold many at preferred pricing (GM) then minus rebates but never minus holdback. The only time I have seen us do it was on a 430 day old Corvette and we gave up 50% of holdback. We sell plenty of new cars and have no problem saying NO. I hear about kickbacks as reason to lose money on a deal. Kickbacks are given if you meet requirements on CSI, units sold, ect. If you are one away maybe, if not there is no benefit selling a car to someone who is taking it to another dealership for service. We get a $100 fine for a survey that is not COMPLETELY SATISFIED. My experience is customers like yourself hit you hard on the survey, you dont get referrals and repeat deals. Not worth it at all.

Oh, I understand why you think all sales reps lie but as a hole that is not true. I imagine you tell yourself that as a way to make yourself feel better about lieing to the sales rep. This is about CUSTOMER SERVICE and customer service has never been about money. It is how well you treat your customer, take care of them before, during, and after the sale. Those who pay more get there moneys worth, those who do not will get there moneys worth as well in the form of, TAKE A NUMBER!!!!
    Why do you keep posting the same message? You posted almost the same thing about 2 weeks ago.

In the meantime I and others on this forum helped people save thousands of dollars.

Is your intention for being on this forum to mislead people to pay more ?

Consider the recent poster who purchased a fairly loaded Sonata Limited for less than $25,000. This is probably a $30,000+ MSRP vehicle.
    This person is very happy to benefit from tips on this forum. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

I stand by my earlier opinion, even stronger now. Never trust a car salesman.

Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Steve
  • Yes I am 48 months
  • Thanks for everyone's input and advice on this forum (especially from Steve). This was my very first car shopping experience and before I went shopping I really dreaded it (I drove a 94 Camry that my family's had for 19 years into the ground just to avoid going car shopping). But because of the tips I found on here, the process went better than expected.

2013 Hyundai Sonata SE
    MSRP: $24,410
    Invoice: $23,339
    My price before tax: $20,840 (This included $1000 rebate for HMF. I financed $7500 and paid it all off before first payment was due.)

My cost included the title and registration fees ($296) so I paid my state's sales tax of 7% on top. My OTD price was $22,300.

Per the advice that I found here, I avoided extra fees (window etching and doc) by saying verbatim, "it's a deal breaker."

Happy shopping everyone! :D
    Great news. Glad we were able to help you get a great deal.
    And with no doc fee, thats even better.

Enjoy the ride.
    Congrats
    Steve
  • Hi Steve, Thanks for all the information your are providing, I am learning a lot from this forum. A couple of questions. Do you include the destination/freight charge in the invoice? You subtract the holdback and all the incentives from the invoice, anything else? And then add the tax and license fee, is that correct to get the OTD price. Thanks again.
    Hi,
    Yes, I include the destination/freight charge in the invoice price. You can't negotiate that since that's what the manufacturer/shipper charges the dealer on every vehicle.

Nope, that's it.

Glad this is helpful.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • db07db07 Posts: 3
    I'm on the market for a 2013 Sonata 2.0T Limited with navigatation and moonroof. I've been offered 29350 OTD. It sounds a litte high to me, just would like to know, what would be a relastic number to not be ripped off.
    I'm new on this forum and appreciate all the help i can get.
    Thx
    Hi,
    Not knowing what state you are in, we can't help you with OTD. Focus on MSRP, invoice, holdback, and pre-tax pricing, etc.

Read other articles in this thread explaining negotiating tips.
    Good luck
    Steve
  • db07db07 Posts: 3
    Forgot to mention, I'm in Illinois. The dealer already know, that i'm a tough buyer. To be honest i dont care how they come up with the number as long as i like it. Alreday told them that 29350 OTD not gonna fly.

I think i will offer them 27750 OTD take it or leave it. I can walk away as i did last year, and they are aware of that
  • I just got this exact car yesterday in Alexandria, Va (outside of Wash DC) for OTD $27,700 - provided I did the 2.9% financing through Hyundai at 5 years. (could have done the 48months at 1.9%.). To restate, I got the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T with panoramic sunroof and Navigation. Hope this helps.
  • Forgot to mention that I qualified for one rebate as a current Hyundai owner as well (Hyundai Tucson '06).
    Keep in mind, you can pay off that "forced" finance as soon as you want. They forced us to take a loan as well, but we paid it off in a matter of days. That way we get the $1000 financing rebate/incentive, but still do a virtually all cash deal.
    Steve