Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I am new to the forum and the whole car buying experience.
    I am looking to buy my first car.
    I graduated 2 years ago so I will not get the new graduate credit. I do not own Hyundai so I will not qualify for that credit as well.
    I want to make offers to dealerships this weekend and close the deal by Christmas.

I have couple of questions.
    Will dealerships have Christmas specials or incentives to meet yearly goals at end of December? Should I wait for last week of December?

I was also told if I go into dealership on a day when no one is around (snow storm or other holidays when people are unlikely to visit) I am more likely to get a better deal. Is that correct? Should I try to go in on a weekday or a less crowded day?

Could you guys tell me if the following offer is reasonable for GLS with Pop?
    Should I offer 19000 before taxes?

Invoice: $21540
    Holdback (-3%): -646
    Rebates: -$2000
    Offer price: 18893

Description Invoice MSRP
    Base Price $20,105 $20,995
    Midnight Black $0 $0
    PEP $660 $725
    Destination Fee $775 $775

Total Price $21,540 $22,495
  • saz25saz25 Posts: 152
    Yes $19000 is exactly what you should off. The only addition amounts are state taxes, no dealer documentation fees.

Don't explain how you arrived at that price and don't get into the legacy or student discount stuff. They may want you to finance a minimum amount in order to get to this low price. If so, I suggest agreeing but pay it off within days unless, of course, you want a loan.

With these numbers I doubt if Christmas sales will make a difference price wise. The closer to end of month the better.

Tell them you will call other dealers. I would do the negotiating on the phone. Less pressure and stress for you.

Good luck
    Steve
  • Thank you very much.

I have some money saved up but it might be good for my credit history to take a loan and pay it off.
  • First off, this forum was great help in understanding and going through the negotiation of a new car buying. I just concluded a deal on Sonata limited (Base) w/o any packages but with all weather mats/cargo mats for $22,500.00 OTD.
    Dealer has following listed on their website:
    MSRP:$26,915
    Mfg Invoice Price:$25,383
    Dealer online Price: $21,245
    My sale price was :$20,900 + T&T (approx)
    Dealer was adamant at $22.944.00 OTD price, however was able to negotiate to this price. This is the best deal one can get in DC metro area.
    I will be going to pick the car up in next couple of hours. Let you know how the deal go.
    Thx,
    baraan12
  • saz25saz25 Posts: 152
    Make sure they don't make you pay documentation fees which could be $400+. I would tell them that its a deal breaker. Maybe call before you go so you're not surprised.

Steve
  • In NC, I am seeing mid 17's for gls and around 21000 for limiteds. I've seen Limited models with tech going for as little as 23700. These mind you, are the internet posted prices. Do a cars.com search with a wide radius. I've found truecar to be super high for this model.
  • nassaujurnassaujur Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    21K for limiteds? That's an unbelievable price. Please keep us posted on what you actually end up paying.
  • That is a great price and great job. 22.34% off MSRP is very low.
  • 29845 MSRP Hyundai Sonata Limited with Limited NAV Package and misc options
    27843 Invoice (Including Destination)
    - 835 Dealer Holdback
    -2000 Rebate

I Offered 24900 +Tax/Tags. They agreed but with HMF financing for 1500 of the 2000 rebate.

Did I do it correctly?

Also I would like to thank everyone on the board.....very informative and extremely helpful.
  • db07db07 Posts: 3
    thx edmundsalex. It helps a lot, at least I know where I am with my prince range. i will keep you posted how the negotiations went.

Thanks a lot again.
  • Hi,
    Negociated a lease deal last night in Los Angeles. Haven't signed anything. Tier 1 credit. $26,490 for the car, 1000 down, taxes 8,75%, processing fee $80 and DMV Tags/Fees 312

Monthly payment $369.91 36 months, 12000 miles

Is this a good deal, great deal or can I do better?

Thank you!
  • to - caltexan1

do NOT take that deal !

For the monthly lease on your Sonata ($375)a month I got a 2013 Infiniti G37x with premium and Nav package tax included!

12k miles, 7% NJ tax and $1500 down on 36 month lase

Why are you paying $370 a month on Korean over styled copy of god knows what when for same price you can lease a Infiniti G37x ?

I am no ways putting down the Hyundai but Sonata vs G37 is no brainer.

The G37 is rear wheeled based and drives mush much better than FWD cars like Sonata.

Also the service is excellent - Infiniti is a ([non-permissible content removed]) luxury brand.

Forget the Sonata - check out the G37.One of the best lease deal out there now
  • In what area of NC and which dealer(s) have Sonata Limited in the $ 21000 OTD range? I am looking to get one in a month or so.
  • Check out Bob Mayberry in Monroe or Modern in Concord.

I just completed a gls purchase for 17,200 plus ttt. It includes premium package plus spoiler, mats guards, cargo mat, etc. Sticker was 23085.

There was auto show cash of $500 included in deal.

The Limiteds at Bob Mayberry were 21250 before ttt.

I highly recommend Modern Hyundai of Concord. Absolutely no haggling to get that great price and wonderful people!
  • Wow..Feasible to get Hyundai Limited with Premium package for ~ 24000 ? Great deal
  • Hey all, I followed all the advice from the forum and was feeling great about the results I was able to achieve. Had two dealers agree to my offer on a lease of a GLS with Popular Equipment Package which would have been based on a selling price of $18750 with only taxes and dmv. Was sure I got all the details worked out in the emails and made sure there would be no surprises. As it was the last day of the month and I was running out of time to make a deal, I didn't want to miss losing out on all the incentives that were in place for the month not knowing what's in store for next month, so I went to one of the dealerships. The mistake I know I made was not getting a full offer, rather being what I thought was perfectly clear in my questions of them and firm intentions. While there wasn't anything too absurd tacked on, it wasn't without any hitches. They added in the bank fee as additional, which I was not pleased with at all, but after walking out on the deal, I know they're not willing to drop that. I was still quite pleased with the deal even considering that, but when they told me all that added would equate to $2k out of pocket, something just didn't add up. You only pay taxes on the portion of the car you're using in payments and even with a $595 bank fee, that just doesn't add up at all. They were insisting on a dealer prep fee as well.

Not sure if I'll have any luck getting this great deal (without their attempted add-ons) again now that it's a new month, but as I'm new to all of this nonsense, are there any fees, like a dealer prep fee for example, that are really unavoidable and automatic for any car purchase? Certainly this can't be the case based off everything everyone has been saying in here. Where did I go wrong? Can this deal be salvaged? I don't want to go through all those games and nonsense again, I just want the deal I thought I had haha.

Also, does anyone happen to know how to find out what equity I have in my current car lease? I was hoping for it to at least end up covering some of the fee, but they claim there is no equity, but if I wanted to just turn it in, they'd take it. Something seemed a bit off with that too, but I'm no expert with that. Please help.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    wow,6 grand off the msrp is pretty good,was there any rebates involved??
  • ruthg3ruthg3 Posts: 20
    Just leased a 2013 Sonata Ltd 2013 and want to know if I could do even better. Another family lead is due in Dec and they want me to do the same deal.
    MSRP. $26,910
    Cap cost $22,200
    Did sign & drive including everything -7% tax, all fees, title etc got
    $290 per month. (35 months)
    Any input appreciated so I know this the best to expect or if I do it differently next time.
    Thank you!
    P.S. What would the residual & money factor be for Dec 12,000 miles? Same incentives? Thx!
  • Thanks. I'll contact Bob Mayberry and see what their deals are.
  • lucas999lucas999 Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Bought sonata gls, pref package,mats,spoiler and home link

$23145 msrp

$21045, less$2500 rebates

$18545 plus ttl

Plus, at no cost $300 free oil change and car washes and $455 pin striping and door guards

Don't know if this good, average or bad???