Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jefk56jefk56 Posts: 4
    Circle, shrewsbury
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Posts: 13
    I bought a 2013 Sonata limited 2.4 with mud guards, carpeted mats, cargo mat, wheel locks and ipod cable in Delaware.

MSRP $26, 995

Invoice$25,515

Car Price $23,299

Doc Fee $249

Rebates $2,000
    Tags$300

Tax (7%)

OTD $23,478

1.9 % 48 months through HMF
  • What would be a good OTD price for a 2013 Limited 2.0T w/ premium package and could you break it down similar to the post above this one? Thanks
  • I bought it from Conceilla Hyundai in Conshoken(spelling?), PA. It is about 2 and a half-3hrs from Long Island. MSRP was $27,700 and got it for $23,150 with taxes/tags included.

Way to get it down is to go in to a dealership, talk to them and make sure they know you are interested in purchasing a car within next few weeks.

Next, no matter what, you need to do is let the dealership know you will be going to another Hyundai dealership and get another quote. If you need to, tell the next place your going too that the other place offered you a deal $200-$300 less then the actual offer. Getting a good deal is all about bluffing. Regardless, you can always come back to the previous deal offered. Remember, dealerships do not want to lose to competition. Getting a good deal is all about bluffing in the right manner and have enough self control to leave. Also, I do not believe you will be able to get an extra upgrade for that price since the invoice was like 25,200 and I got it for 23,150. Maybe you can then, I did not want to go to each dealership more then twice.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    edited January 2013
    REF: 8777
    What was the price before tax and tags? Your numbers don't add up. What discounts (loyalty, military, etc.) did you have? Was 27700 the window sticker or a BS dealer pack sticker? In a previous post, your numbers were 1600 trade + 2000 down + 72 payments of 307...
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    I already have a loan approved for 3.9% for 72 months through HMF and I am planning to use this option along with $2400 rebates ($1500 HMF finance, $500 loyal owner rebate and $400 student rebate) to purchase a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. I have an offer ($18,750 before TTL) for a new 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS (RED) with the popular equipment package along with added features (carpeted floor mats, all-weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper protector, wheel locks, and auto-dimming rear-view mirror with compass and HomeLink ). The MSRP of this car is $23,110 and Invoice is $22,271 (destination fee included).

In early December, I was looking only at 2013 Sonata GLS only. I was able to get an offer lower than $18,750 before TTL but the travel cost to get the car significantly nullified the difference. However, after seeing the IIHS 2013 safety tests (Dec 20, 2012), I am kind of worried about Sonata 2013. It got only Top Safety Pick and not Top Safety Pick Plus. In the small overlap test, it's scores were lower than Accord 2013. The most worrying thing is the fact that side curtain air bags did not open.

It appears that Honda engineers (Nissan engineers for their Altima 2013 and others) knew about the new test and modified their 2013 design accordingly. However, in the case of Sonata 2013, it is primarily based on 2011 design and hence, it missed the mark. The Sonata may score better in their next model (2014 design). I am surprised to see Optima 2013 based on late 2011 design getting Top Safety Pick Plus (and not Sonata). However, Optima has a slightly lower score than Accord 2013. The significant difference is the fact that it's side curtain bags opened unlike Sonata. BTW: Camry 2013 has the worst IIHS ratings compared to these three cars.

However, in the case of NHTSA tests, Accord 2013 and Sonata 2013 are very similar.

It appears that some are getting 2013 Accord LX (Auto) between $21,000 and $22,000 OTD (in various states with tax ranging from 6 to 9%). The offer that I have on a 2013 Sonata GLS with PEP is about $19,900 OTD (after 6% tax). I am planning to keep the car for a long time.

2013 Accord LX Advantages ($21,000 and $22,000 OTD in various states with tax ranging from 6 to 9%):
    1. Better engine. Honda engines are known for their reliability. But, what about CVT ?
    2. Better gas mileage - 27/36 vs 24/35 (If I keep the car for about 10 years, then I could save about $2000 !)
    3. Better safety (IIHS 2013 Top Safety Pick Plus)
    4. Better resale value (It may not affect me, since, I am planning to keep it for a long time)
    5. Rear view camera
    6. Hill Assist

2013 Sonata GLS with PEP Advantages ($19,900 OTD after 6% tax):
    1. Longer warranty
    2. Better style
    3. Fog lights
    4. Heated front seats
    5. Heated side mirrors
    6. Power seat with lumbar support
    7. Auto dimming mirror
    8. 6 speakers vs 4 speakers
    9. Garage door opener (Home Link auto dimming mirror)
    10. Lower price (about $1000 - $2000).
    11. Front legroom is 45.5 in vs 42.5 in and headroom is 40 in vs 39.1 in (I am 6 ft 4 in and hence Sonata would be better)
    12. Additional accessories (all-weather mats, cargo net, rear bumper protector, and wheel locks)
    13. 8 air bags vs 6 air bags - NEED TO BE VERIFIED (Can someone confirm this ?)

Accord's better gas mileage could nullify the price difference, if I keep the car for a long time, provided Accord's shorter warranty will not give me huge repair bills. I don't mind loosing some features and style for improved safety ratings. If I haven't come across IIHS 2013 tests, I would have bought Sonata 2013 without any second thought. Am I giving too much importance to the IIHS 2013 test results ?

Any comments. Thanks in advance.
    REF: 8779
    great write-up! Not to add more work to your endeavor BUT the 2013 Optima LX can be had with the Convenience PLUS package ($1100) that includes a rear camera, upgraded mirror, power driver seat and the Microsoft UVO audio system. Total MSRP for that model is 23.3k

"COP - LX Convenience Plus Package - $1,100
    Includes Power Adjustable Driver's Seat, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror w/Homelink & Compass Also Includes Radio: UVO Infotainment System w/Rr Camera Display."

sample:
    http://kefferkia.net/2013-Kia-Optima-LX-Charlotte-NC/vd/13025853
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Sonata has 6 air bags, not 8.
  • The latest IIHS test is the small front overlap, which places just a fraction of the front end with the brunt of a full-force impact. It’s made automakers sweat the details a little more. And some have done a little better than others. The IIHS announced its new test in 2009, giving automakers plenty of time to make their vehicles safer.

A vehicle that came out all-new in 2011 might not have had the time to undergo any changes, as its design was locked into place years ago. But a new car only takes three years to reach the market. There’s really no excuse for any of them to perform too poorly, even if it is an all-new test.

View & Read: http://blogs.automotive.com/iihs-gives-2013-honda-accord-best-rating-in-new-cras- h-test-ratings-122825.html#ixzz2HnJWFk8R
  • bob225bob225 Posts: 46
    This was my deal on a 2013 Sonota Limited
    Tech Pkg.
    Nav.
    Carpeted mats, cargo mat, net, mud guards
    MSRP $29,880
    Rebate -$1,500
    Financing -$1,000
    Conquest -$500
    No trade
    Dealer discount -$1,968
    Purchased for $24,912
    Add local tax plus $225 fees/tag transfer
  • Hi there. Have been checking out these forums for quite some time. You wrote that you got the limited 2.0 for 23,150 including taxes and title. What was your price before tax and title?
    My son is interested in the se 2.0 and when I figure out the whole deal with what Steve writes, it comes to about 21800 without tax and title. (He wants spoiler and mud guards). If I add in tax and title, it comes to more than what you paid for a limited. We are from long island, but would be willing to travel for a price that good. If he could get the limited for that price, he would be extremely happy. Thanks for your help.

Maureen
    REF: 8784
    Don't believe everything you see on these forums. That deal is not possible unless it's a demo with tons of miles on it. His numbers don't add up and he hasn't responded to my inquiry either.
  • unlv_rebelsunlv_rebels Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for your suggestion.

I did look into Optima too. It appears that one can get a Sonata GLS with PEP for $20k OTD (with HMF cash, owner and student/veteran rebates), Optima LX with CP for about $21-$21.5K (with KMF cash and student/veteran but without owner or competitive rebate) and Accord LX for $21.5k-$22.5k.

An Optima's safety rating is below Accord but higher than Sonata. The mileage is same as a Sonata but less than an Accord. Hence, one will be paying about $1k more than a Sonata for its slightly better safety ratings.

IMHO, it may be better to spend about $2k more on an Accord instead of about $1k on an Optima (same mileage as a Sonata) because an Accord has better mileage (min $2k gas cost saving for about 100k miles) and highest safety ratings among these 3 cars. Hence, the effective cost of an Accord could be about $20k, if one is planning to keep the vehicle for a long time (> 100k miles), provided there is no huge repair bill due to its shorter warranty. In addition, one's mind will be peaceful knowing that he/she has the vehicle that has the highest safety ratings in its class at the time of purchase, besides the higher reliability and reputation of a Honda vehicle.

Earlier, I was ready to purchase a Sonata. The vehicle was supposed to be at the dealer's lot before Christmas. But it did not come due to some issues. It will be coming only towards the end of Jan. I have the buyer's order but did not sign it yet. Thankfully, I came across IIHS 2013 tests around Jan first week. After seeing the IIHS 2013 small overlap tests, I just cannot digest the fact that Sonata's side-curtain airbags did not open. IIHS says about 25% of frontal crash is similar to this test.

An Accord's style and warranty is not as good as an Optima/Sonata but it's mileage and safety ratings are better. Right now, I decided to go for an Accord 2013. May be it was a blessing in disguise for not getting the Sonata in time.

If, I would have across the IIHS 2013 test before Dec 31, I would have shopped for a Honda before Dec 31 and obtained a decent deal on Dec 31. Right now, I am getting offers for about $21,200 before TTL. I can get much cheaper price (around $20,600) in CA but its sales tax is very high and it negates the difference.
    edited January 2013
    I like your thought process. However, one rule i have is to NEVER buy a car in its first model year (even a Honda). I leased my new 2011 Sonata GLS in April 2010 since i knew it would be covered by warranty and 3 years has gone fast. I almost bought a 2010 Accord that time but i liked the Sonata better. It has been very reliable. Two recalls (both software) and one power window switch replacement are all the mx I've had to date. I've started the buying process for a replacement since the buyout price is too high (60% residual) and the value isn't there (sadly). I still like the car but not enough to overpay for it. The competition has caught up and there are many options in this class of sedan. One thing i've noticed already is that the lease terms in 2013 are NOT as good as they were in 2010 (for most cars). Good luck in your quest.
    Good point. Hondas are reliable but have been known to have problems, including in transmissions on Accords... and the Accord's CVT is a new design. Unless I were blown away by a car compared to lower-cost competitors, I'd tend to get the lowest-priced option that I like. And right now the lease deals and pricing on the Sonata seem excellent compared to competitors like the Accord, e.g. 3 year nothing-out-of-pocket leases on the Sonata GLS PEP for close to $200/month.

At least for the first two months of ownership, my wife's 2013 Sonata GLS has been perfect... tracks beautifully, no squeaks or rattles even at below zero F temps, no problems at all. So having been in production for nearly 3 years seems to have helped the Sonata.
    edited January 2013
    Accord has both direct injection and CVT as new powertrain technology; not new to honda but new on their mainstream sedan. i am waiting for the 2014 Sonata refresh if it ever comes out. Very limited info to be had anywhere.
    Where are you seeing those 200/month deals on the Sonata? Must include some serious lease incentives to get that low...
  • ruthg3ruthg3 Posts: 20
    Does the price of 21800 include the $595 fin fee in leasing? If so, that's a good price! I leased a 2013 limited in December with options for $21,370 but then added the $595, fees and tax. I also had the $1500 cash back, $500 loyalty rebate.
    Good luck with your purchase!
    I'm seeing those deals close to $200/month reported here at Edmunds.com. :)
    REF: 8791
    I remember you from 2010 and hyundai-forums.com. Deals reported on this edmunds web site are not always real. Wish it were so but the TRUE data does not support it.
  • We are purchasing an se turbo not the limited.

That was just the numbers I was figuring from the 3% holdback and taking 2000 off for incentives. Haven't tried to get it yet! He would be buying (not leasing) the se turbo with rear spoiler and mud guards. I am not sure if that is the offer we should make or if it is way off. That would be w destination fee, but not with tax and title. Dang tax!

This is how I figured it -
    MSRP 26035 3% is 781
    Invoice 24638 - 781 = 23857
    If I take off 1500 incentives it is 22357. If I take off 2000, it is 21857.
    Steve says to go for all the incentives and just put it in the price you offer. Does that seem right?

Thanks for any assistance. This is just so darn nerve racking.

Maureen