Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Getting a two-year-old (at most) car with 30k miles that lists for about $25k new for $11.7k is not a good deal? Edmunds.com's TMV for a private party purchase (which this was) of that kind of car now, nearly 9 months after the purchase that was reported last July, is $13.3k in my area. Maybe Sonatas aren't depreciating as much as you think they are.
  • marauder73marauder73 Member Posts: 15
    You got a pretty good deal I would say. Since it was the LX. The miles are a bit high, but still not bad. I think it is truly a good sign that Hyundais are starting to keep their resale value better than they used to. I think Edmunds was right on the money with $13K, so you saved $2K. Well done!

I think since the 2006 model year, Hyundai has really dramatically improved their quality and design of their cars. I think we will start to see a significantly different company now. I still remember when I was very young, that Toyota and Honda were total crap in the 80s. By the 90s they had dramatically improved and these days they are on par with any German make. The same will happen with Hyundai. I think we are where Toyota and Honda was in the early 90s.
    I think it was a good deal too, but it wasn't my deal. :blush: Wouldn't mind getting a deal like that next time I buy used, though!
  • bandit10bandit10 Member Posts: 28
    Hang tough with the HYUNDAI Dealer{S} go to more than one dealer and give them your nimbers and e-mail. I know from experience it's a beautifull time of the year, BUT IT'S ALSO TAX SEASON and people are wondering where their standing as far as getting a refund or having to pay the IRS. The dealers know this. And use this as a wedge for barganing to get the price you want to pay. Cars are not flying out the door of dealerships as Tax Season approaches. And do see a couple of of dealers it works, and let them know you've negotiated with other Hyundai dealers. Remember the time spent could amount could amount to serious savings. Good Luck. Ben
  • sonata4lifesonata4life Member Posts: 20
    Any ideas where I can find the build date of the car? I see every where (maybe, not in the right areas, obviously) - under the hood, on the door sides, under the arm rest... nada! I know its there some where but can't seemed to find it... Any ideas?

Btw, the V6 is unbelievably smooth as you already know by now and with so many awesome amenities in Limited, I don't know why people spend so much more on other cars. If you drive for 8 years, then the car is practically free and who cares about the resale value at that point? Any how, that's for another post altogether ;)

Over 1000+ miles so far and averaging about 25 - 26.5 mpg (60% highway and 40% city) and hope the engine breaks-in in another 200 miles or so and can test 70+ on the highways! First Hyundai and sure feels like I am going to be a long and strong Hyundai fan! Kudos Hyundai for building a solid and remarkable V6 engine!
  • southhavenjensouthhavenjen Member Posts: 22
    Sorry to hear about your experience w/ Family Hyundai. I too dealt with a saleswoman at Ettleson (I don't think we can name names but it's got to be the same person) and she was utterly professional, no BS. Quoted me a price via email and when we got there, there was no upsell. Just a very matter of fact deal. We drove in from Michigan to do the deal as the dealers here were not nearly as low as those in the Chicagoland area.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new Limited!! You may not have gotten the best price but it's not an awful price either.

Mine is Deepwater blue BTW, I love it!!
  • godwheelgodwheel Member Posts: 25
    Feld,

Which dealer gave you this deal? I've been looking for a similar deal but I can't get them below $15,500 OTD.

Thanks!
  • slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    I don't think so!

Just yesterday, as much as i regret doing so, we traded in our 07 Sonata SE 3.3 V6 w/ XM which has served us outstandingly well since we bought it new in July 07 and very much in excellent condition at almost 12,000 miles.

Edmunds listed the trade-in value at about 14,600 and though the dealer initially tried to value it at a much lower price (i.e. based on other web sites), i stood firm on edmunds valuation and even furnished them a copy. In the end, i got it spot on the price above and with tax credit, that was a total of about 15,800 in gross trade allowance! For just about $200 off private party value, it completely takes away the hassle of having to sell the car myself! :)

I know what you're thinking... i did my research and i made sure i also got a great deal on the new car we got with great pricing as posted here on the boards, current incentives/rebates, no hidden fees, low miles (i.e. 6 miles), feb 08 build date. But enough said on the new car because this post is to pay tribute to the 07 Hyundai Sonata.

FYI, We originally purchased the Sonata for $16,900 (i.e. w/c was a great deal back then here in our place) and with the above figures and Edmunds True Cost to Own (TCO) figure of $0.51 operating cost, i would say that, as opposed to earlier post/s, this is very much within the same radar scope of Honda and Toyota!

Hyundai's gaining grounds!

And thanks to the transparent views and reports from Edmunds, it has made us better informed consumers. :shades:
    Slamtaz, what "tax credit" are you refering to? I wasn't aware that there was a tax credit associated with buying a Sonata? :surprise:
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    He probably bought in a state where they charge sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and the new car rather than on the selling price of the new car.
    So, he got a "credit" on the amount of sales tax paid because of trading in the old Sonata.
  • slamtazslamtaz Member Posts: 55
    He probably bought in a state where they charge sales tax on the difference between the trade-in and the new car rather than on the selling price of the new car.
    So, he got a "credit" on the amount of sales tax paid because of trading in the old Sonata.

Almost like that, because i was assessed sales tax based on the new car's selling price then deducted the sales tax credit based on the trade-in value of the Sonata. Net effect is exactly the same as what you said. :)
  • njboy1njboy1 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning to buy the Sonata GLS 2008 at a dealership in NJ. They gave me a OTD price of $15900.00. Can the wise folks on this forum help me in deciding if this is a good deal? Thx in advance for your help!
    If it includes all FEES including TTL, then it's not a bad deal, but I still think you could do a little better. If you are buying the base model with no options, you should be able to get it for $1000 less, but if you have one of the options packages then I'd say go for it.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    This is probably a 4 cyl, but you did not say what transmisson type. Also, is this the base GLS or are there any options (package or individual)?
  • njboy1njboy1 Member Posts: 2
    This is a 4 cyl with auto transmission. Yes - this is the base GLS without any options. I tried a lot to get the dealer to lower the price below the given $15,900, but they did not budge.
  • 7milehi7milehi Member Posts: 28
    I'm looking very close at the 09 Sonata. I drive around 30k miles a year and usually put 225-250k miles on a car before replacing it. Will the newer Sonatas make 200k+ without much problem? At first I thought about buying a low mileage used Sonata due to the high initial depreciation but now understand the great Hyundai warranty is only for the original buyer. With a few 07's still on the lot and quiet a few 08's left I must assume it will be awhile before any 09 model incentives.
  • samduhmansamduhman Member Posts: 9
    I would love to buy a new 2008 SE but Im pretty sure $17k out the door won't do it right?

So if not Im looking at used Sonatas. How much should I be paying for a 2007 SE V6 with 10k to 20k miles on it out the door?

Also I would like to confirm the gas mileage of the V6. It is around 27mpg on highway?
    The Sonata will probably make it to 200K miles, but a Honda or Toyota 4 cylinder will be less of a risk for high mileage.
    You should probably go with a 4 cylinder Accord or Camry if you are going well beyond 100,000 miles.
    There is supposed to be a $1000 rebate on the 2009 Sonata and a $3000 rebate on the 2008s. If the local dealers still have some 2007s, then you may not see many 2009s in your area for a few months.
    Hyundai's latest engines, which are used in the Sonata, are designed to go 300k miles without a failure. So if you maintain your cars properly, there should be no reason why it won't last 7-8 years at 30k a year. At least you'll have over 3 years of powertrain warranty--that's more than you'd get on some other mid-sized cars, at 30k miles a year. I'm not sure why you are worried about the Hyundai powertrain warranty applying only to the original owner; given how many miles you put on a car each year, you'll have no problem using it up yourself.

As noted, there's a $1000 general rebate and $500 loyalty rebate on the 2009 Sonata now. I predict the general rebate will go up once the 2008s are cleared out; they are getting the bulk of the rebate money now.
    He mentioned buying a used Sonata. If he does that, he doesn't get the powertrain warranty.
    If that's really important, there's always the option of buying a used Sonata with either the Hyundai Certified used car warranty or a third-party extended warranty.
  • gnomadgnomad Member Posts: 17
    On Friday I was bored at the office and perusing various car websites, looking for incentives-really, I was trying to verify if the Saturn Astra indeed had loyalty incentives available. I find the Hyundai site, check the incentives as I had driven a Elantra Thursday, and holy cow, $3000 on the Sonata? Searching the dealer site yielded a 2008 with the I4 and a 5 speed, and since fuel economy is important I definitely want to check this one out. I print the page, check for the boss, sneak out and hit the delaership.
    Went for a drive.
    Almost a year of searching for just the right car, it was over that fast. Inked the deal. Back in the office for lunch. After the rebate and the discount, the price was right under $15K, with DMV fees, $15,251, for a brand new midsize car with all of the expected amenities.
    Just for reference, the other cars were the Pontiac G6, finally rejected due to a spotty reliability record, and the new Saturn Astra, a car I was literally hours away from buying. At that price level, there was no AC, no mp3 playback, no ESC and no trunk. It would have worked and I liked the build quality and general sportiness, but how can a guy resist a new well equipped midsize for 15 large?
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Welcome to the club! You got a great car at a great price!
  • feldy6feldy6 Member Posts: 4
    I got mine two weeks ago for $12,955 plus $598 dealer fee from an add in the newspaper. Manual I4. Just what I'd been looking for. What a great driving car. Even my wife who wanted to stay with a Honda loves it. MPG has been about 28 mostly city.
    That is by any standards an excellent deal.
    This morning was my first ride to work. And the more I drive it, the more I like it. For me, it's a work car, I drive a 40 mile commute and then drive from office to office doing service calls. I find the 5 speed rather entertaining, driving is fun again.
    What would I change? Firm up the suspension a bit. raise the front of the seat cushion. And most of all, put another XM satellite in a polar orbit so I can reliably pick up the bird.
  • chicagoan2chicagoan2 Member Posts: 3
    Dear All,
    I got a 08 Sonata GLS I4 engine AT at the price of $14100 after 3000 Manufacture rebate at Chicago. Plus T.T. L and document fee, the OTD price is slightly lower than $16000. Chicago's tax is 9.25%. The mile on the car is a little bit high, 6000 miles.

Is this a good deal?

I noticed Sonata I4 GLS 09's engine is a new generation, better than 08's.
    See here:
    Horsepower 09's: 175 hp @ 6000 rpm ; 08's: 162 hp @ 5800 rpm
    Torque 09's 168 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm ; 08's: 164 ft-lbs. @ 4250 rpm

In addition, 09's interior is redesigned and especially looks ready to compete in the most hotly-contested segment in the industry, with quality materials and a much more pleasing design with more features than the current model.

I think the dealers have to blow out 08 sonata as soon as possible at this moment.

:P
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    Read post #4595 and draw your own conclusion......
    Sounds not bad.
    Just worry about the high mileage. 6000 is not low for a new car, am I wrong?
    After seeing #4597 it seems that I paid about $700 more. Of course, it depends on the configuration.

The MPG is only about 20-25 in highway according to my testing using a full tank of shell gas in 40-60 mph.
  • sonata4lifesonata4life Member Posts: 20
    That's what makes purchasing a car an unpleasant and a sick process. Two buyers walk into a dealership and sign the papers at the same time for the same car, with 100% ditto configuration, will end up paying different! Go figure! May not happen if you buy the same thing at WalMart on the same day, can it?

The better-researched-tough-negotiator *usually* gets a better deal!
  • jim1299jim1299 Member Posts: 16
    Price was only $20103 with title, taxes and tags. As this was only a hundred-odd bucks more than a corresponding '08 model, the decision was a 'no-brainer'. This particular vehicle --which didn't even have floor mats or mud guards-- was $2250 cheaper than the V-6 '09 Sonata Limiteds with Nav system and other goodies, which I can understand. What doesn't make sense is that it was $500 cheaper than a corresponding '09 Sonata V-4 Limited with floormats! (Must be some pricey floormats. I'm perfectly happy with the nice matching set I found at Costco for $17.97)

This was literally the Sonata on the showroom floor (although it did have 35 miles on the odometer already) and they had to drive it out so I could take it on the road. (Had already spent an afternoon there testing '08s and '09s in both 4 and 6 cylinders.)

I noticed that the current Internet price was $300 lower than that listed on the sticker, and the dealership (Fitzgerald in Gaithersburg, MD) unflinchingly gave me that price with no questions asked. Didn't get more than a token effort to sell me an extended warranty-- this was the smoothest and fastest closing I've ever encountered on a car purchase. (The fact that it was now after closing on a Sunday night may-- or may not-- have had something to do with this. These guys wanted to go home!)

The funny thing is, before finalizing my purchase, I went through the Costco auto buyers service to see what price they would come up with, and it was nearly $3000 higher.

Am VERY impressed with the features of the car, its look (my Bright Silver car has been mistaken for a baby BMW a couple of times already in parking lots) the purchase experience, and (of course) the price. :)

Jim
    How could it be only be about a hundred dollars more than a 2008 when a 2008 has a $3000 rebate and the 2009 does not?
    Also, how much of the price was the sales tax and state vehicle registration?
    No one can tell how much the dealer charged for the car and all their dealer fees if the only number posted is the total with tax.
  • jim1299jim1299 Member Posts: 16
    Guess I was typing too fast in my original msg-- the first line of the text should have read $21102 with TTL (and $99 dealer processing), not $20102. Fitzgerald Automall posts all their prices inclusive of rebates and the transportation/delivery fee, so the differential between the '08 Limited at ~$20100+ with $3K incentive and my '09 at $20282 with a mere $1K incentive has me stumped. The dealership Costco sent me to (when I was checking the Fitzmall price) pulled the VIN of the one I was considering up and said they would lose thousands of dollars if they tried to match it. Maybe this is hyperbole, or maybe Fitzgerald (being a network of multiple dealerships) is sufficiently high volume that they get a different rate of 'hold back' rebate from Hyundai (assuming there are such). Either way, all I know is I was charged $20282 for the car, and $21102 once TTL and processing were added it.
  • gabebalazsgabebalazs Member Posts: 18
    Fitzmall's processing fee is only $99.00. I bought my 08 from them too. I wish I had waited a couple more months... At the time of purchase (January 08) I didn't know that the 09s were gonna come out so early. Wow, what a good price on the 09!!!
  • feldy6feldy6 Member Posts: 4
    I couldn't agree with you more. The 5 speed is fun to drive (even with all the South Florida crazies) and I'm liking the car more and more also. I think this car is the sleeper that few people know about. Only unknown is long-term reliability. But don't have to worry about that for 60,000 miles.
  • bluedevil7321bluedevil7321 Member Posts: 5
    Afternoon!

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I think I have done a good job of negotiating this down and this is where I am.

2008 GLS Sonata with popular package and Pearl White Paint. I have this down to $14,496 before Tax/Title/Reg.

I think that is a good deal. When I went back to the dealership I noticed a Silver car same package except add Leather after market (put in by the dealership). I asked if they would match the price and they said no I had to add $1200. This car is for my wife and she prefers Silver greatly...she actually dislikes the White. So this has kind of put any deal on hold.

Which should I take and should I go back with a new offer? Two ideas are that I can offer to meet them halfway? Or I can ask for them to throw in a car starter and heated seats. I have no idea how they would feel about either. I am actually sitting here at work hoping that they will call me!

Am I crazy for not just taking either of these? Also, both come with lifetime oil changes not only for the car we are buying but also any other car that we own.

Thanks for all the help!
  • family44family44 Member Posts: 19
    The $1,200 they added seems reasonable as I was in similar situation. My wife insists on a dark interior due to a messy son. The dealers I spoke to, 5 or 6 different ones, all said they'd charge about 1,300 for leather to be installed. The white car costs about 200 more than the base colors, so they're in ballpark. I'd offer to me them halfway. make your wife happy and get her the silver for the cost of about $650 (addl for taxes etc). Over the life of the car, the extra $650 should be, at most, $10/month. It's worth the $10 to make the wife smile a bit each time she sees car as opposed to hating the color.
    Good luck
  • jwarriojwarrio Member Posts: 3
    That is a pretty good deal. I would also go half way for the leather. What state are you in? I was asking the dealers around here in TN and they said there are only 87 GLS out there in the states as of today! They are not even going into the 15k range with what they have. I must say I would definitely go for the leather seats 650 up.
    I don't have to worry for 100,000, since I did get it new. The 100K will go long before the 7 years, I'm 6 years into my old cage (01 Aztek) and at 168,000 miles. It's a working/commuter car.
  • bluedevil7321bluedevil7321 Member Posts: 5
    I am in NY. I actually mis-understood their quote I guess. When they said $14,996 they meant for the Elantra. It is $15890 for the Sonata without the Leather and I am trying to get them to go down to 16,490 w/ the leather before the trade-in. I also have a quote for an 09 GLS Pop package $17,795

These are my choices

Sonata GLS 09 any color, w/pop package $17,795
    Sonata GLS 08 Silver w/ Gray Leather w/pop package $16,490
    Elantra SE 08 Any color $14,996
    Afternoon all,

I have been getting a lot of help from this forum and tried to deal at the prices mentioned before. However, the best OTD price I have got so far was $17000 for a white 08 GLS AT V4 with popular equipment package. I didn't want a white car and requested a silver but all they could find was a black. However, with this black car, the dealer gave me a OTD price of 17680. I was confused by this huge difference. What do you all think?

Thanks for your help!
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The 08 20000 msrp Gls with popular package wholesales used for about 12500 in a year. A good price on it new is about $15000. The dealers seemed to have a big incentive last month to clear out stocks from the factory. If stocks are manageble or low now the dealers will work the leftovers for more money. A good price on an 09 would probably be around 17000. Any more than this one would want to look at the chevy malibu, saturn aura, honda accord, camry etc.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Afternoon all,

I have been getting a lot of help from this forum and tried to deal at the prices mentioned before. However, the best OTD price I have got so far was $17000 for a white 08 GLS AT V4 with popular equipment package. I didn't want a white car and requested a silver but all they could find was a black. However, with this black car, the dealer gave me a OTD price of 17680. I was confused by this huge difference. What do you all think?

Thanks for your help!
    Maybe the black car has a moonroof?
    I don't know what your local taxes and fees are. The OTD price seems a bit high with the $3K rebate, almost like you're looking at the 09 instead of the 08.

MSRP on my Sonata was $18,280, the dealer gave me a $300 discount and the $3K rebate. I'm thinking even with at AT you're at least $1000 above where you should be. Maybe you need another dealer?
    Thanks for your help. I guess I needed to be more specific. The OTD 17680 blk 08 GLS AT V4 with popular package had only a mudguard that was different from the OTD 17000 wht 08 GLS AT V4 with popular package. The tax here in TN is 7% btw. The dealers here were saying that the difference between MSRP and invoice is only 700 since Hyundai sells alot to make profit. Also they kept mentioning that blk cars are more expensive which I have never heard before. They said this would be the best price ever. I don't know why the dealers here are so tough. I've been to four dealerships here and they are dealing at about the same price.

What price should I be looking at before TTL given a 08 GLS V4 w/ popular package? Should I have dealt with price and not OTD?

Thanks for your help guys.
    Also they kept mentioning that blk cars are more expensive which I have never heard before.

You haven't heard it before because it isn't true. The only color Hyundai has charged more for on the Sonata is the powder white pearl. Maybe the salesperson should have said, "Black cars are more expensive at our dealership." ;)

IMO you should not settle for more than invoice less any rebates you qualify for on a 2008 Sonata. You can get the invoice numbers here at edmunds.com. Since the 2008s are nearly a year old now (they came out last June I recall), I'd personally haggle for under invoice before rebates. I know dealers in my area and other areas are offering that kind of deal w/o negotiation on the 2008s.
    I wish I knew exactly what package I had, they delivered the car without the window sticker which is apparently illegal, but unless I can figure out some benefit to me I don't think I'm going to dime them out. Not that I would know who to dime them out too...

I did a build your own on the Hyundai website. 08 GLS AT with the 4 and the pop package came out at $19,520 before frieght, that was to Ak and I would expect frieght to TN would be less--$3K rebate is $16, 520, add 7% sales tax and you're right at $17, 676. Sounds like they are pretty close. We don't have sales tax in AK except for a few municipalities and they usually cap it at $15, that saved me 1100 right there, plus my DMV fees are $275 all inclusive and they didn't charge me a documentation fee.

So, compared to my deal- $600 for the AT, $650 for the popular equipment package, $1156 for sales tax, I don't think you are going to do much better on the Sonata than what's offered. For reference, try this- http://www.hyundaiusa.com/ and use the build your own function.
    Hope this helps a bit. If you can find a "strippo" like mine, which is not even close to being a strippo, maybe you can get a better OTD. FWIW, the 5 spd really makes the car fun to drive. Honda and toyota may offer 5 speeds but I have never seen a 5 spd on a mid size car here, the local dealer does not order them so equipped.
    FYI "freight", or more accurately destination charge, is the same for all delivery points (in the continental U.S. at least). I've never heard of it being negotiable, so it should be added onto the price of the car--before tax. For the 2008 Sonata it's $675.
    Sure enough, that;s what the destination charge was. I guess I always think of the gentle caressing we Alaskans get from the freight companies.
    It doesn't seem fair though that someone down the road from the Alabama plant and someone in Alaska should pay the same "destination charge", does it? :confuse: