Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Sonata Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• What does everyone think about $16242 (off the lot price) for a base Sonata 4AT, with sunroof, ABS & traction control?

Also has sunroof deflector, mats, and mud guards.

They have it in stock.

p.s. How can a base unit have Traction control? The shiny brochure says "N/A".

thanks!
  • Karl:
    To see if the car you are looking at has traction control, look on the window sticker and see if it is listed. Also, when you turn the car on, the TCS light will come on briefly, and the car should have a TCS button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, next to the Cruise button. But, I don't think TCS is an option on the base model (I think you can get ABS only).

Lori:
    As for the deal you got, what did you get for your 2001? Quoting a price for your 02 LX may be misleading (they could give you a great price on the new car, but screw you on the trade to compensate). And why did you specify the payment that you wanted? I've found that it is always better to negotiate sales price rather than monthly payments, so you can be absolutely sure what you are paying. If you start with a monthly payment, they can get you to pay more for the car, or a higher interest rate without you realizing it. Just suggestions for people to be aware of.
  • I went down this morning (cashier's check in hand) and checked out their base Sonata with TC.
    Sure enough, no TC button. The salesman acted
    surprised. We had talked about TC many times.

Now get this, they won't lower the price. They
    quoted me a price for a feature that the car doesn't have but say the best they can do is to give me one free oil change.

Boy am I glad I didn't buy it and find out later.

thanks, ktrans (aka karl7777)
  • Black base model with 4 wheel disc brakes and a moonroof and v-6 for $15,000. Had 799 miles on it but was brand new. They would only com down to $15,995 so I told them later, Of course they chased me down and agreed. Out the door for $16,700
  • Have spent two very full days and two very full nights car shopping. Went with an '03 Sonata GLS (ruby red) w/sunroof and automatic for $17,600 in Houston (nearly $2,400 off sticker). Have admired this model for past two years. Owned an '86 Excel hatchback (stick) for 10 years, and felt just fine with Hyundai.

Only put 100 miles on it so far, but the ride is fantastic, and I think it looks GREAT, inside and out. Acid test: my 17 year old son thinks it's the best looking car of all we looked at, which included Passat, Mazda6, Altima, Solara, Camry, Honda, et al, and agrees the performance, ride and handling are excellent.

I've owned two Buicks, a Subaru, a GMC van conversion, the Excel, and two Saturns. This one finally got me excited about driving again!
  • Just got a silver 2003 GLS with automatic and sunroof for $17,500 in Virginia Beach. Also got better than Edmunds' value on our trade (2000 Honda Civic) despite having a dent in the front fender. While it wasn't as spectacular as some deals posted here, any time you can beat Edmunds TMV on the car and the trade, and get good financing as well, you have to feel good about the purchase.
  • have noticed Potakim Hyundai on Red Rd in Miami is
    tacking on a $2000 (upward) "market adjustment"
    on their Sonata's & Santa Fe's. The adjustment is
    on the window next to the Manufacturer's stickers...is this going on anywhere else here in
    good ol'wacky SoFlo or anywhere else?
  • Well I just picked up my new 2003 Black Gls with ABS. I really do like the way it looks. I believe a got a fair price but then who really knows for sure. The posting's I have read really have helped in making an informed decision. As long as its not in the shop as often as my Acura TL was.... (Over and over for the first 6 months) I will be happy.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hey i thought acuras were supposed to be very reliable cars. i had a brand new 92 integra which i kept for 8 years and 125,000 miles only gas, oil, and tires and right before i wrecked it a timeing belt but thats it. it was a great reliable car. steve
  • Just picked up my new '03 GLS last night. Options include Package 5 (moonroof, ABS, and traction control), moonroof wind deflector, mud guards, and the trunk cargo net. All total, my sticker price was $19,519. According to sources, the invoice price was $17,680. My price was $17,157. With the manufacturer-to-dealer incentive of $500 plus the dealer holdback of about $350, I figure the dealership made about $327 on the deal. I think I did pretty well with this price. Most dealers in my area (Northeastern MD / Northern DE) couldn't even touch that price. They all wanted to sell the car for invoice plus at least $200.
    For those interested in my process, here's what I did to get this price: I started by contacting my local dealer and talking to the internet manager. These guys are usually much easier to deal with than the regular salesmen. After deciding on the exact model and options that I wanted, I started requesting quotes through the Hyundaiusa.com web site. This was tedious as I had to go through the whole build-your-own process for each dealer I wanted to submit a request for. After receiving requests from several dealers, I chose the lowest one (which was actually about an hour+ drive) and started playing that card against some of the other dealers. Most said they could not touch that price, so I eliminated them from the running. But one dealer (Colonial Hyundai in Downingtown, PA) really wanted my business, and they undercut my best quote price by over $300. That's the deal I chose, although they were still about 40 miles away. It was worth the extra drive to save several hundred dollars. And the dealership staff were very friendly and helpful. They offered me a fair value for my trade, and the deal was very easy to complete.
  • Picked up our 1st new Sonata LX, 1/18/03, In the new orleans area. Highly impressed with the vehicle's details and quietness. MSRP listed at 20,301.00 w/ options Moon Roof, Wind Deflect or, Momelink & Electronic Mirror, Locking Lug Nuts, &
    Automatic. The 2.7 liter engine is quite peppy and as quiet as a mouse. As the vehicle gained popularity with the recent Consumer Reports articles it has become extremely difficult to deal as LX's are hard to come by. Still satisfied at a purchase price of $18,900.00, however had I acted prior the published articles I feel I could have had more room to bargain. If i'm as happy down the road as we are now it won't be my last Hyundai.
  • rcarlrcarl Posts: 3
    Is $15,232.00 out the door on a 2002 GLS w/ moonroof, 6000 miles a fair deal? Haven't seen it yet, but I don't believe it has the ABS. Does the Sonata live up to its press?? Thanks
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    Does that $15,232.00 include your state's sales tax, plates/registration, and any dealer added on "document fees"? (I've never understood why dealers feel they're entitled to an extra $50.00 just for submitting the required documentation to the state electronically over the internet...) If all the above are included in your price quote, it sounds pretty good. As to the "press", ~which~ press? Some accounts have been quite enthusiastic about Hyundai Sonatas, and some in the automotive enthusiast magazines have been downright hostile. (Car & Driver dismisses any marque that doesn't accelerate and handle like a 5 Series BMW M5.) I came from a '91 Sonata to a '96 Accord to an '03 Sonata. My new '03 Sonata is no Accord, but it's a darned side closer than that '91 Sonata was. (Frankly, my '91 Sonata was a disappointment.) The '03 Sonata's a very quiet car, and the body structure is quite rigid. No rattles so far, either. The Sonatas are not tuned to "spirited" driving the way Accords are known for, but I use a car for transportation instead of compensated macho manhood display, so it's not a problem. I'm at the point in my life where I value a compliant, but controlled, ride and a car sufficiently refined and quiet enough for me to enjoy my CDs at any legal (or slightly faster) speed on the interstates. The Hyundai all-aluminum V6 motor is adequate. Accords and Altimas are faster, but 0-60 mph in under 9 seconds won't hold anyone up. Reports I've read about the Camry V6 show the Sonata's on a par with it. While carrying less advertised horsepower than the Camry V6, the V6-equipped Sonata is lighter enough in weight that it performs about the same. After I hit 3,000 miles I took mine on a 450 mile run to Las Vegas and back. I averaged 32+ mpg going and 31+ mpg coming back. (It's uphill, overall, from Vegas to my home.) My in-town mileage is ~22 mpg. I currently have 3,300+ miles on the car and I'll be surprised if I don't add another mile or two per gallon to the stats by the time I roll 12,000 miles on the motor.
    Yes, that's tax, title tags, everything. Carmax is also telling me they have a LX w/ cloth seats?, abs, power seat, sunroof, etc for the same out the door price - 8000 miles. (that's why my local dealer mached it on the gls - he doesn't believe its really a LX) I've read nothing but more or less rave reviews - who is trashing the car? - I mean, it is a Hyundai
  • ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    "...who is trashing the car? - I mean, it is a Hyundai"

Car & Driver in the 2003 Feb. or March issue in a test of nine intermediates. (Can't locate my copy at the moment...) The Sonata V6 GLS just nosed out the last-placed Saturn LS300 V6. But we're talking about automotive "journalist" macho-heads who rarely exceed 21 or 22 mpg on the highway regardless what they're in. Cloth upholstery in an LX sounds bogus to me, too. (If it really is an LX, I'd wonder if the car had been wrecked and GLS seats were substituted during repairs...)
    Gee, wish I'd read that earlier. I pulled the trigger on the 2002 GLS - 12,000 miles for
     $13, 800 - out the door at $15,200. The carmax LX listing was a screw-up. Haven't had a chance to really drive the car yet - was out of town all weekend, but it seems like a good value for the money. We'll see how it holds up - I didn't buy it for performance - bought it for bang for buck, warranty, and it looks different than everything else. Hope I'm pleased, but if I'm not, I'll go back to the old Taurus. (My wife keeps asking, you're sure we couldn't get a Camry or a Taurus? Thanks for your help
  • Base, 4 cylinder, with sunroof. This is a little confusing to describe but here goes. $750 cash. $15,900 financed. Trade in of a 2000 Elantra on which was owed $7275 and had a bashed in trunk hood, but which had an insurance check of $917 which also went to the dealer. So MSRP, +17297; Tax, +847; License-Title-Transer, +25; Some type of deduction, -2000; Trade Allowance, -5877; Amt owed on Trade, +7275; Insurance Ck, -917; Cash, -750; Financed, -15900.
  • I bought Sonata GLS V6, auto, fully loaded (ABS, Traction, moonroof) for $18,000 (this does not include tax, title, doc, etc.). Is that a good deal?
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    Just picked up a new 2003 Sonata LX with package 7. I paid $17,683 after rebates but before TT&L. I cannot beleave how much car I got for the money. A Camry equipped the same as the Sonata was about $7,000 more. I love this car.
  • shifty54shifty54 Posts: 1
    Picked up an 03 4 cyl base model w/mud guards, cargo net, and floor mats for $14,200 (plus tax,etc) after rebate...lot of car for the $$...great ride!