Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gas-Electric Hybrid Vehicles: Features you'd like to see.

marcbmarcb Posts: 152
edited March 21 in Toyota
Gas Electric Hybrid vehicles are coming. By starting this topic maybe we can tell the manufacturers what features we'd like to see. I'll begin by posting some of my own wish list...and just be gone soon after.

Features I'd like to see in a Hybrid Electric Vehicle:

1) Ability to use the Gas-Electric engine as a 110v power source while camping.
(I have previously mentioned this in the Prius topic prior to the Dodge RAM contractor special).

2) Optional battery recharge plug for the occassion when I would like to fully recharge prior to long trips. This may prove most useful when preparing for long mountainous trips, when expecting heavy loads, or simply to proactively save on fuel.

3) Ability to activate regenerative "engine" braking on long downhills via a button. The feel should be something similar to turning off the OD button on long slopes.

4) Heat/cold air recirculating button when car is off/parked.

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I wouldnt like to see this feature. Leave the
    V-8's alone!
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Posts: 419
    Enough electrical power to run a TV and microwave oven.... a mini-RV if you will :)
  • rfruthrfruth Posts: 630
    The ability to switch between which engine is the default Rob Fruth Houston Tx http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth/
    Reasonably priced upgrages (new battery technology etc) Rob Fruth Houston
    We've all seen manufactures put high dollar station wagons on truck chassis and declare them SUVs. Please don't approach hybrids this way, don't add a few more idiot lights a CVT transmission electric motors & batteries then say heres your point A to point B hybrid machine that gets 40 MPG just like you wanted - thats part of it but only part. Rob Fruth Houston
    The Honda Insight HEV is nice in my opinion but the instrument panel looks like something out of a space ship, not very user friendly, there must be a better way.
  • I agree with rfruth's comment about instruments and I think that the Toyota Prius is even worse. The principles of good ergonomics and HMI design don't become obsolete with the change in drive system. The need for legible, linear scale instruments for vehicle speed, engine speed, engine temperature and fuel is no less in a hybrid than a conventional vehicle. Add to that the need to monitor the electric motor and battery condition/state of charge and a well organized instrument cluster DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE DRIVER becomes even more important.

Form must not compromise function!
  • marcbmarcb Posts: 152
    Not sure if current HEVs already work this way...but it would be nice if the car can self diagnose a defective cell. The Battery banks in turn should be easily accesible so I can replace malfunction batteries as easily as I change flashlight batteries.

In fact, if battery banks are easily replaceable and enough people start using HEVs, maybe it's possible to just stop at a gas station (or Walmart) and swap your discharged batteries for fully recharged ones (...sounds like a good future business).

Also, why not use the VW 1.8 litre TDI engine technology? TDI makes 42 to 49 mpg as is. Mated to an electric engine it could shrink further to perhaps around 1 litre or less. Modify that into an Atkinson cycle and you have fuel consumption reduction serious enough probably to get consumers streaming.

When that happens government may start requiring lower diesel sulphur content or seriously push biodiesel for further pollution reduction.
    Force assist (sometimes want both motors) and force regen (sometimes want no motors) said differently the driver should be able to over ride what the car thinks is best. Rob Fruth
  • "Force assist (sometimes want both motors) "

Rob, not sure what you mean by force assist, but if you want power from both motors, that's what you get (except at very low speeds, IIRC). They are parallel designs, meaning they work together, as opposed to a series hybrid (which has never been put into production). If the driver was able to manually override this feature, I don't think the vehicles would be certified for their higher mileage and it would also likely adversely affect their emissions certification. You run into a similar situation as flex-fuel vehicles, they get credit (CAFE credit, that is) for running on alternative fuel, but the benefits of that technology are never realized. In a hybrid, I suspect many people would manually override the engine control permanently for more power. The transmissions may also not be able to handle the additional torque at low RPM, but I'm just speculating on that one.
    I don't have one but understand Honda Insight has a idle stop feature so at a stop when the clutch is pushed in (don't know about the CVT) the gas engine shuts off, to get rolling again the gas motor restarts and is the only power source for awhile, wide open throttle will bring the electric motor into play. I didn't even think about someone selecting both motors all the time so they could get a tax credit & use the HOV lane. Rob Fruth
  • Rob,

I think you may have it backward,

At a stop, the ICE shuts off and only the electric motor is used. Once underway (~15-17 mph) the ICE rapidly starts (it's imperceptible) and you're off and running, or jogging in the case of the Insight, with both the electric motor and ICE working together. At highway speeds, the ICE is only used unless extra assist is needed.

Re: the CVT, I was referring to the Toyota, but Honda will be coming out with an automatic (i.e. CVT) Insight for 2002.

I don't know where hybrids are granted HOV lane privileges. I know in California they do not qualify. Only dedicated AFVs (pure electrics and CNG) are allowed in HOV lanes. Hybrids are not AFVs because they use gasoline as their fuel.
    I would have it backward if describing the Toyota HEV (cause only the electric motor does the work from a stop) but the Honda Insight uses its gas motor to get going http://www.honda2001.com/models/insight/engineering.html?show=ima never-the-less you are correct in saying there is one source of power until a predetermined speed or load is reached, it would be nice to have both from the get go sometimes (standing start with a heavy load on a hill etc) but then both could be used all the time thus defeating the purpose. Rob Fruth
  • My mistake. Admittedly, I have not paid as close attention to the Insight as I have the Prius. I assumed they followed the same philosophy.
    The Escape & Prius do it one way (electric then gas) the Insight & Civic HEV will do it the other ? (gas then electric) not sure since haven't seen the description of the upcoming Civic HEV but I would imagine (hope ?) they (Honda) will leverage off the Insight, not bad for Edmunds townhall users but a mess for the general public some who have to think twice about 4 cylinder vs 6 vs 8. The beta max wars all over again ... Rob Fruth
  • Hopefully this time, the better technology will win!

Okay, but what features would I like to see in a hybrid?

I would like to see a hybrid that can be used in electric-only mode and have an electric-only range of around 15-20 miles. I would also like a plug-in for recharging that electric only range. That way, for trips around town, I don't have to use gasoline. Hopefully the electric motor would be able to get me up to neighborhood/boulevard speed adequately. When I run out of "juice" I can let the engine control system take over and run in normal hybrid mode (albeit with depleted batteries).
    I'm tempted to say things like GPS and leather but the *main* thing I'd like to see is not a feature, its a reasonable price. For instance if a plane ole gas powered vehicle is 20 grand then the same vehicle in its hybrid form should not be 30 grand. Its a new world, time for a decent vehicle at a decent price. Rob Fruth Houston
  • How about performance?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Insight
    When you step on the gas pedal (the motor STOP feature is deacticated with either manual or CVT tranny equipped Insight), the gasoline engine as well as the electric motor provide power. At cruising speeds, only the gasoline engine works. During acceleration, the electric motor would again assist the gasoline engine to provide the extra power. During deceleration, the batteries are recharged.
    abbanat, the Insight has been available with CVT with the 2001 model.

Civic HEV sedan
    We should have this car in USA by Spring 2002. It uses an advanced version of IMA-gasoline technology found in the Insight. The gasoline engine is a new design, with iDSI (intelligent dual sequential ignition). The gasoline engine also uses a 'variable' cylinder logic (shuts off one of the four cylinders when not needed). The displacement is 1.3 liters, and the gasoline engine alone is rated at 86 HP@5700 rpm, 88 lb.-ft@2800 rpm, and gets 47 mpg in Civic. This engine will be coupled to a more advanced version of the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) found in the Insight, and supposedly delivers upto 30% more power, while being lighter and more compact (than in Insight). The overall mileage on the CVT equipped Civic HEV is expected to be 68 mpg.

There is one possible improvement, however. The electric motor should be able to intercept during cruising, as well as be able to recharge the batteries during cruising. This will help further improve highway gas mileage.

crossedreality: How about performance?
    It is too early to expect these new concept play a larger role in terms of performance. I don't see how they can't be applied to performance models though. The problem might be in profitability. Hybrid technology is currently an expensive option and not easy to get a customer base on. For that matter, the Civic HEV might have performance similar to that of Civic LX, perhaps even better, but with almost twice as good fuel economy. The downside, it might cost, atleast 1.5 times as much or more at the show room with a smaller trunk.
    In light of the recent happenings in the middle east how about a 20 grand GM vehicle that runs on peanut oil so we could tell OPEC to find another sucker ? Rob Fruth http://freeweb.pdq.net/rfruth
This discussion has been closed.