Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older S-10's

Comments

• mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    thanks for the fast reply. youre right...it does seem to downshift late and when i stomp on it to go up a hill or something, it does take forever to shift (if at all.)
    so its just a adjustment huh? well under the hood is a sticker that says the PCM was repleced already. (powertrain control module). sounds like a frequent problem. maybe itll happen again and i can get a new FX4 or something, under the lemon law...lol yeah right.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Hi Everyone! Just wanted to let you folks know that I have now put 10,000 miles on my little truck since buying it on 7/16/01. It had 134,502 on it when I bought it, and this past Monday on the way to work, the odometer rolled over to 144,502.

I am so happy with that truck! I've had to have a few things taken care of, but they have been things that you could only expect an old truck like that to need. These things included the following:

Front and Rear U-Joints
    Heater Fan
    Water Pump
    Fan Clutch
    Catalytic Converter

I bought the truck with tax, license, and all for $2450, and it has probably already paid for itself by keeping those 10K miles from being put on my 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

It runs as smooth as a sewing machine, gets great gas mileage, and it is all a guy could ask for in a work truck.

tom
  • havent posted since October however I havent forgotten about this site! I have a 91 S-10 I bought in May, paid 3950 for it as it had only 48K miles. As of today I have 54K on it and havent had any problems with it. I has the 2.8 with the 5-sp man. tahoe pkg, no air, power windows or cruise. I use it on the week-end only to haul stuff, i.e. dirt, mulch, wood. Have done a few things to it, put on new monroe sensimatic shocks,load-levelers on the rear, installed a tach and have changed all the fluids and replaced the belts and hoses as well as the vaccum lines. Also put a set of BFG Long Trail TA's on (205 75R14) I also recently put in a hypertech chip and a k&n air filter. It seems to help the performance, havent tried it with premium fuel like they reccomend since I have no pinging using 89 octane. On another site they reccomended that when you install the K&N filter you flip the air cleaner cover to let nore air in. I've done this and it seems to help although I cant qunatify it. Recently bought a Delco am/fm cd player off of ebay. It was out of a 96 Camaro, it fits in the dash with no problem however the radio harness plug in my truck is different from the plugs on the back of the new radio. Any suggestions on where to find an adapter? Any Help would be appreciated.
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Brent how do you like the tires? Are they good in snow? Where did you get em and how much?
    About time we heard from you again! Hope you ain't gonna wait that long again before your next post!

I'll bet you love to hear stuff like I and others here have posted about our high mileage S-10's being so reliable. I love to hear about people with over 200K on their S-10's. I sure plan on getting all the mileage that I can out of mine.

That was sure a lucky find on your part, getting one with so few miles on it.

Oh, I don't know what to tell you about your wiring harness, but I have heard that the people at www.crutchfield.com are real nice and offer lots of advice. They may even have an adapter that will work.

tom
  • usn1usn1 Posts: 1
    ..ok, I bought my 1986 S-10 Blazer, 4x4, Tahoe Pkg, 2.8 V-6 brand new...I have 176,000 miles on it so far..had the transmission overhauled at about the 130,000 mile mark...uses about 1/2 to 1/3 quarts of oil between oil changes.. I usually change the oil at the 3 to 4 thousand mile mark...changed all vacuum hoses at about 140,000 mark...still drives good...want to keep it till it quits, but at the same time, I want an 8 cyclinder silverado pick-up..I know if I sell it I will probably regret it..it is the first one I had bought new..been driving it for 16 yrs now..I don't know how much longer I'll keep it..it has been a good one so far...
    "I know if I sell it I will probably regret it"

Yep my mom sold her 87 blazer in may of 2000. She ordered it factory new in 1986. To this day she still talks about it. We see it occasionally. Sold it when it had 135K on it. Never had any problems
  • Hi all,

91 2wd 4.3L - 157k miles (50k on engine #2)

Right now, I have a set of air adjustable shocks on the rear of the trunk and they were ok for a few years but they leak now and are starting to bother me. I tow a 1700# trailer quite often so I need a set of shocks that can handle a decent load and keep the rear off the ground. I kinda get sick of putting air into the air adjustable shocks so I am looking for a standard heavy duty shock. Any suggestions?
  • I also have a 91 S-10 and I put a pair of Monroe Sens-a-Matic Load Levelers on mine in July. I have no complaints I don't haul a trailer very often but I do haul dirt and mulch and these do a great job of keeping the rear end from dragging on the ground and the ride is good when the bed is empty. I paid around $120 for the pair but they are well worth it.
  • I like my BFG Long Trail T/A's-they have done real well in what little snow we've had this year, of course it doesn't hurt that I put 4-70 lbs bags of sand in the back. I got them at the tire rack in So. Bend, paid $58.00 apiece.
    do you live in the South bend area?

HMMM $58 a tire isnt bad. I live 1.5 hrs away wouldnt be a bad deal and also a friend of mine can get a small discount there
    Thanks, Bob, for reviving this thread. Will it be moved to the S-10 owners club? Would get more traffic that way, I'll bet.

tom
  • gcosh1gcosh1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1989 S-10, which I bought a year ago for $3k. It now has 102k miles on it. I have a long bed 4.3L V6. I recently put a new catalytic converter and muffler on it, which improved performance dramatically. I am very happy with how the truck runs, my only complaint is that I have a rear wheel drive model, and the handling is absolutely awful here in the Midwest in the snow. Even 300lbs of tube sand in the truck bed has a negligible effect, so I have to drive very cautiously & carefully in snow and ice.
  • jim4444jim4444 Posts: 124
    Maybe you need some good tires? Ask anyone with a new S10 what they think about the uniroyals that come with it.

My friend also has a S10, I have good tires, Michelins, and he uses sand bags in the bed.

I only slide around when I want to!

Does your truck have positraction?
    Hey everyone, why no posting?

As long as I'm here, I will tell you that my little truck has over 146K miles on it now, and I have personally put over 12K on it since I bought it last summer.

Still looking and running great! Love it!

Tom
  • rmyers76rmyers76 Posts: 34
    160K miles down on my 91, 40K more to go before I can put it to sleep.

Only new problem to report is a minor (but frustrating) electrical problem. My dome light went out and I can't seem to get it fixed. I replaced the bulb but that didn't help. Got out the volt meter and no juice getting to the light. The lights at the floor level light up which are on the same circuit as the dome so a fuse isn't the problem.

Oh well, if I get some time I will be tracing the wiring and trying to find an answer.
    Thanks for posting. Geez, I thought I might be the only one left in here!

Tom
  • sonjaabsonjaab Posts: 1,057
    Puter been broke..so no post ! Dads 99 S 10 30k
    trouble free miles ! Hes hauling winter
    debris to the dump today !
    Yup, Hard working, long lastin, Chevys !
    Stay cool dude !...Geo
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern). This week, our topic will be:

Import Trucks: Can they compete with domestics?

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Sure has been quiet in here for a long time!

Nothing new to report, but my little truck has over 147,000 on it now and is still doing great.

Let's have some posting!

Tom
This discussion has been closed.