Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older S-10's

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    Thanks a bunch, Joe. I enjoyed your post very much.

I have done some of the things you mentioned, or at least checked them.

It looks like the plug wires have already been replaced on my truck, so I think I'm in good shape there for a while.

The radiator was replaced during the rebuilding of my truck, since it was damaged in the accident that resulted in the truck being totalled.

I did have the cooling system flushed shortly after buying the truck. I thought that just cause the radiator had been replaced didn't mean there might not be some crud in the block. The radiator shop where I had the flush done reported that the stuff that came out of it didn't look bad at all.

I have replaced the PCV valve and the air filter.

I've had the serpentine belt checked and was told by a mechanic that I trust that it still has some time to go before it needs to be replaced.

We were going to check the front wheel bearings, but the grease looked real fresh, so it appears that they have recently been cleaned and repacked. I will need a brake job in the next few months, so I agreed to the mechanic's suggestion that we just wait until then to inspect the bearings.

I really hadn't given any thought to vacuum lines, so your tip on that was really useful. I'll get that done before too long.

Also, I will probably check on that fuel injector cleaner that you mentioned.

Thanks, again, Joe, and please respond to my question about how fast I should drive on the highway. I don't want to needlessly drive slow, but I SURE don't want to put too much stress on that little 2.8 either. It really seems to like to go 65 to 70, and I don't think it's under much strain at that kind of speed. I would like to hear other peoples' opinions on that.

Sure do love that little truck! I think I have a good one, and it was a steal at $2450 on the road price.

tom
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    My mom had an 87 blazer with the 2.8. Blazer was great only had one problem with a hose when new but it was taken care of under a recall. Never was in the shop after that. She sold it May 2000. Truck was 13 years old had 136K on it. Only thing wrong was the air conditioning needed a new compressor. Guy didnt care.

She didnt drive it crazy and it lasted. It was tough to get the thing up to 70 but when it got there it was fine. I dont think it ever seen 75.

Ryan
  • I have been the proud owner of a 1991 S-10 Blazer that currently has 148,000 miles on it. It is my daily driver since I don't like to get my 2000 3/4 ton Silverado dirty... but we won't go there.

The Blazer has been a great vehicle and the reason I bought the new PU. (there was a day when I said I would never own a chevy)

Anyway, my reason for posting is I have experienced a problem now for a while and I am hoping someone here can help. My Blazer has the 4.3 V6 with auto trans. The water pump started leaking and was changed out at about 120,000. The shop that did the work had to change the water pump two more times because the replacements also leaked... but they did it under warranty and it did not cost me any additional money. However ever since the first change out of the water pump the temp gage has always read hotter than the truck ever did before the change. Before the water pump was changed out the gage never read above 200. Now on a hot day the temp will almost go to the red line. I have taken the truck back to the shop that did the work and they flushed the system and changed out the thermostat (twice) but I still have this problem. I have not driven the truck much this summer due to it getting so hot in traffic. That is the other thing.. while driving at highway speed the thermostat will read below 200, but will rise when in stop-N-go traffic.

Also a little more history about the truck.. I bought it in 1992 with 25K on it and have always had the oil changed at 3000 miles. It now needs some minor cosmetic work but other than that it has been a great truck. Hope to get over 200,00 on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
  • PAmanPAman Posts: 207
    Speed: Speed is relative and not much of a factor in a vehicle with an overdrive transmission or 5-speed. At 70 in 5th gear, the engine is probably turning about 2200-2400 RPM, depending on your rear axle ratio. However, it can put a load on other components. So, I would recommend driving it reasonably as long as everything else has checked out OK. About 70-75 shouldn't be a problem, as long as you know your brakes, steering and suspension are in first-class condition. You can actually do more damage by leaving the truck in 1st gear too long when driving away from a red light. That is because the engine could easily see 4500-5000 RPM if you "dog" it.

Heat: Welcome to Texas, NativeTX! Sounds like the shop has an air pocket trapped in your engine's coolant system. Check with the Chevy dealer or have the shop pull your truck's information up on Mitchell's or AllData to see if there is a proceedure to bleed any trapped air out of the cooling system. Otherwise, I would suspect they damaged the fan clutch when they replaced the first water pump. Have them check it; they should have looked at that already.

Good luck to all!

Joe
    Thanks for your post. I was going to suggest some kind of fan problem, since you said it stays in the normal range at highway speeds. PAman beat me to it.

Sometime when the temp gage is showing high temperature, park the truck and leave it running. Then pop the hood and see if the fan is turning. Also, check the condition of the fan blades and the shroud. (AFTER you shut off the engine, he he).

tom
    Thanks to both of you for your posts.

tom
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Could be air in the system, but if the fan clutch does not do a full engage at idle in heat, I guarantee that 4.3 will heat up. On mine, it was quite obvious when the clutch locked in as the roar from the fan increased a lot. Also, check that the fan blades are not cracked. If so, they will flex and not move as much air. And you sure don't want to throw a blade at speed or you will see how fast hoses and belts can be removed!

Jim
  • I have always suspected the fan but was not sure. Too me it just does not seem to be truning as fast as it should, however, with my limited knowledge I was unsure. I will check it and see what happens.

Thanks again.
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Posts: 172
    whats it cost to get hoses replaced and belts replaced on a 1993 chevy s-10 with 2.8 V6?
    also it may need a clutch...are we talking $199 here or like $599?
    thanks for the help guys...
    mine has 109,000 miles on it and runs like new...i love my truck. 1993 s-10 Tahoe with five speed...one great little truck.
    i am currently looking for a new ranger to replace it, because even though it gets 23 mpg in all-around use, the rangers get more like 26 and the new four cylinder has more power than my old V6.
  • '83 S-10 4x4 Extended Cab 2.8 4 speed from 1986 to 1990. I loved it and kept it in beautiful condition. It was a great truck until one day, with 107,000 miles, the intake manifold gasket failed. The first symptom was the bang-bang-bang of a collapsed hydraulic lifter. I was only doing about 30 mph and stuffed in the clutch and shut it down within 10 seconds of the first bang. Towed it to a shop to have the lifters replaced. Mechanic calls with the bad news...half a gallon of coolant in the oil pan...all bearings shot. Wants to know "rebuild or replace?" I was a senior in college, driving school busses for a living and engaged to be married...the cost of either option might as well have been a million dollars, because I couldn't even come close. Had to sell it in "Does not run" condition and buy a rust-bucket '78 C-10. About three years later I saw a high school kid driving "my" truck...broke my heart. (I know it was mine because I put the toolbox, running boards, fender flares, bug deflector, stripes and alloy wheels on it myself...would be one hell of a coincidence if somebody else made exactly the same choices.) I'd probably still have it, if I'd been able to affoard a small-block swap at the time. I've still got the wife and the degree, and she still has the diamond that made me so broke at the time, so I guess I'm not doing too bad, but I may have to find an old S-10 to fix up just right for one of my sons....
    Hi Folks! Got that bench seat re-covered today. I just had the seat bench re-covered, since the seat back was in good shape. Cost me $100.00.

The new material is a very close match to the seat back, so I am going to stop here and save the extra $75 it would cost to have the seat back done.

Now the inside of my truck looks as good as the outside.

tom
  • I saw your post about speakers, and was going
    to recommend you have a look at crutchfield.com,
    but it looks like you've gone ahead and had
    some new ones installed already...I'm leaning
    towards upgrading my factory stereo system one
    of these days, and Crutchfield is a very good
    source for car stereo components and assistance.

You sounded worried about how fast you can take
    your truck up to and not damage the motor...where
    I live, there are hundreds of old S-10's and
    Sonomas around, and they're always tooling down
    the interstate at 75mph+...the speed limit where
    I am is 70, but that doesn't stop many folks from
    doing 80-85...as I mentioned before on the S-10
    board, I have a 1997 with 145,000 on it...I change
    the oil religiously every 3000 miles, and I'm
    always doing 70-75mph on the highway...I drove
    it to Chicago last summer when it had aroung 120K
    on it, and that was an 800 mile trip one-way on
    all interstate highways, and never had a problem
    with it...

Someone mentioned the relatively easy access to
    used parts, and most new ones...well, I can tell
    you first hand that there is no aftermarket fan
    clutch for my truck, and the part runs $162
    from a GM dealer, even though the equivalent part
    for the 1996 model year can be had at any parts
    store for only $30...what's up with that ???

You seem to enjoy playing with your new toy...I
    like to tinker, too, but I also have to realize
    that my vehicle is my only means of getting to
    work (which is 60 miles one-way, thus the high
    mileage I have), so I don't want to fix something
    that's not broken, if you know what I mean...

Talk to you soon....

Doug
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    I seen my moms old 87 blazer which she sold may 2000. Still looks and runs great

She still wishes she had it but 3 cars in the family is enough 4 would be crazy
  • PAmanPAman Posts: 207
    the5car,

Don't know who is telling you those fan clutches are not available, but www.autozone.com lists one for $64.99 on their web site. The fan has a lifetime warranty, too. I read your S-10 as a '97 based upon your last post, and I assumed it had the V-6 with air. The make of fan is an Imperial, and the part number is 215158. Depending on where you live, the price may vary by a couple of bucks.

If you don't live near an Autozone store, see if you can order one online, or try Pep Boys. A parts store not having a fan clutch for a four-year-old Chevy truck is ridiculous!

Good luck!

Joe
    Well, I have put enough miles on my S-10 that I have the confidence in it to take it on a trip.

I will be going to Nashville today, which is a couple hours away. If it does ok on that trip, I will drive it to Chattanooga on Tuesday. The Chattanooga trip will be about 240 miles each way.

I'll be due for an oil change after the Nashville trip, so I have to make up my mind about which oil to use. I have just about settled on a synthetic blend. I believe Valvoline has one.

Any thoughts about the best oil for my truck?

tom
  • All this month there is free shipping from Crutchfield. I have bought all my stereo equipment from them and have never been disappointed for instance if you buy any car stereo you get the plastic custom dash kit and adapters so their is no splicing necessary. These install pieces alone cost about $40 minimum which is why most places install radios for free except the parts. Did I mention that tax is not included which again saves you money?

\Loud and Proud/
  • Synthetic blends are a rip-off. Most blends only have about 10% synthetic in them. If your truck takes 4 quarts, it is cheaper (and works fine) to buy 3 regular quarts and 1 synthetic quart. That way you will at least have approx. 25% synthetic. I run 5W30 full synthetic in my S-10 with a premium filter (mobil 1 which can be found at Autozone or AC Delco Ultraguard Gold which can be found at Pep Boys) and do 10,000 mile changes. If you're not comfortable with an interval this long, do at least 5-6K. I will say it again---blends are a waste! At least make your own!!
  • How do you know the percentage of synthetic in blends? (I digress)

Friend of mine is mechanic for King Soopers (grocery chain) in Denver. Says they have fleet of GM Astro Vans that use the 4.3L V6 engine. He told me laughing with embarrassment about how many miles they put on those trucks, many with over 200,000 hard city driven miles, and 1 with 277,000 and still going!
  • I've been to Autozone in person...the guy
    let me watch as he punched in the info
    for my application, and the part was not
    available...I had to have my truck towed
    to my friend's repair shop, and they tried
    every source they could to get the part
    without having to go through GM, but no
    one had it. I checked on many other websites
    too, like carparts.com and Summit Racing, and
    if they had the part, it was an AC Delco
    replacement for roughly the same outrageous
    price that I quoted earlier. I just hope
    that the new one lasts as long as the original,
    because I'll probably have a new truck by then.
    Thanks a bunch for the info! I guess I might go with the Valvoline "Max Life," which is a regular oil supposedly blended for high mileage vehicles.

If that's a rip off too, please let me know. At least it only costs about 30 cents per quart more than plain Valvoline.

Thanks again.

tom
This discussion has been closed.