Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How it Works! Welcome to Auto 101

Comments

• Nevermind, I managed to get the wires off and I changed all the wires. But, I could only change the plug on the first cylinder because I kept getting the spark plug tool stuck in the hole. I tightened it with the wire and I'm sure that it will be ok because it was pretty secure in the hole. But, I think I should tighten it further and I want to change the rest of the plugs. So, I was wondering if there was a trick to keeping the socket on the ratchet rather than having it come off in the hole?
  • It's a 2004 Aveo.

OK, I just bought this car three weeks ago and I am fixing it up because I'm a perfectionist and like to have my cars idle perfectly. I have a rough idle and want to check the plugs. When I got to where the spark plug wires, I could not get the wires off! I managed to get one off the coil, so I know I can do it. But, I can't get any off of the plugs. I am very cautious about doing this because the car is so new to me and I don't want to damage the wires without being committed to changing them.

I've seen what the wires look like and they have a really long boot into a really deep hole. Is there a trick to getting them off if they are stuck? Also, what size spark plug socket do I need to get? And, what if the wires break and get stuck in the hole?
  • They make a tool available at auto supply stores that aid in safely removing the sparkplug wires.
  • Thanks, I got the wires off and changed, but now I have a problem with the socket getting stuck in the hole. I tightened one plug with the wire and it seems pretty snug, but would like the change the rest of the plugs.

I used the wire to tighten the first plug and it seems snug. I saw somewhere that mentioned using a rubber hose to tighten it, too. I might try that on another one. I just hope they're tight enough. The wires are pretty snug in there, so I doubt they will blow out.

I also saw another tool with a handle long enough so that the socket and handle are all one piece. I might get that and use that to tighten while using the regular socket wrench to take them out.
  • i have an 89 dodge ram 50 that needs new o rings. i need to know if this is a job that i could do myself . it has a 2.6 liter engine. i would consider my self above average when it comes to do it yourself projects.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Using the wire to tighten the plug, is no way near tight enough.
  • Thanks. I actually got a t-tool and managed to tighten them up the way I like it. I tightened them to where they were snug and tried to turn it about 1/4 to 1/2 inch further. Usually, this works fine unless I have a PCV issue. I will check to see if any are loose in a week or so before I take a long trip.
  • watt476watt476 Posts: 9
    Does anyone know why this is? It runs constantly, even when the motor's cold.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • I have a 01 Mazda b3000 went to have the fuel filter changed and was told that they could not get lines off on the tank side of the filter. this supposedly is a common problem that requires the fuel lines from the tank to be changed. is it possible to splice these lines as opposed to dropping the tank and replacing them.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,403
    Sounds like a bad temperature sensor. It thinks your engine is hot and grounds the circuit for the fan. Or a loose wire to the sensor is grounding.

If you mean splice them with neoprene hose that can be risky, since they could be pulled off on the road if you drag over something; also, unlike under the hood, these flexible lines are exposed to far more severe weather conditions.

One would also have to consider where the splice was made.

• wbunchwbunch Posts: 2
    hello am new to this site am restoring a 67 beetle it is a bajb and i need some help thx wayne
    First off you should read through books like this one:

Baja Bugs and Buggies

do a lot of homework before you begin a project like this, is my first advice, and plan out and budget out what you want to accomplish.

• rws800rws800 Posts: 4
    got a 67 chevy, 283, hedders, edelbrock manifold & edelbrock 1405 600 cfm performer carburetor.
    Problems while exercising my car I turned into a lot and it died. Got it started but it would not run unless the RPM's were kept up a little. So I figured time for new mechanical fuel pump. Installed new Holley 110GPM. Started up good idle, drove down the road nice and thought I'd get my foot into it a little. As I let up on gas to turn around it died as before. Start up & had to RPM up somewhat. Now same ole keep RPM up or dies and some popping. In playing with it today a good shot of fire came out of carb. The distributor is not stock ie points etc It has the look of a Summit HEI power type. I'm guessing carb float adjustment or rebuild or maybe timing. Thanks for any help. Rick
    Well if you have fire out of the carb, then either you have a camshaft timing problem (your whole valve timing is off), a valve problem (one intake valve leaking), or your ignition timing is way off.

Valves should be shut, when the cylinder mixture is compressed, and then ignited by the spark plug. If the intake valve is still open when ignition occurs, then the fire backs up thru the intake manifold and out the carb.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    How did you, or did you adjust the float?
    Sounds like the float level is way too high.
    When you turn or decellerate, the fuel sloshes out of the float bowl.
    Or, the needle and seat are leaking by.
    It will cause similar symptoms to being advanced.

Any fuel leaks in the carb?
    Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
    Kiawah

Thank you for the response.
    I had thought of timing issues but wasn't sure if I was on track.
    I also need to gear up and purchase timing light etc. I haven't fooled with the older cars for a long, long time and those days were the 60's & 70.s. So I am rusty .

I'll keep you informed as to the fix.
    Thanks again

Rick
    Opatience

Thanks for the response.
    No I did no work on the carb as all was working great and then at idle the engine died.
    Even by keeping the RPM's up and on higher end all things were good, so that's why I changed out the fuel pump. After changing out fuel pump it ran good as I went up the road, say 35 or 40, then after getting into the gas it went great but upon decellerating it again died . Same problems as before so I let it set for a while.
    I think there some issues with the carb & timing.
    Got it running today only at higher RPM's (1200 or 1400) Then I heard some back firing through carb.

Thanks again

Rick
    Do a compression test on each of the cylinders
    And check for a vacuum leak, too.