Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora: Modifications

Comments

• HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I would like you guys to see the Pioner I am talking about. Can I send one of you the picture and have you post it on the photo board??

Henri
  • whoever was asking about the tires for the 18's. do not listen to the reccomendations. I did and now I am screwed . I used to have 235/40/18 and my car ran fine.....now I have the 235/50/18 and MY car immediately began to struggle more to get going .this obviously cant be good for the transmission...so do not use 235/50/18 ..it makes the car taller than stock .Maybe a 245/45/18
  • Thaks for the info Seth. I will go with the 40 series.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277

soon this will be me: image
  • I am considering putting in the RSM Racing air intake. I just wanted to get some feed from others that have put it in and have been using it for sometime.

800Wattaurora- I see that you have had yours for a while and you state that it idles and runs just as well as a stock air intake. Are you still happy with it or have you had any type of problems. Also is the heat sheild necessary or will I have problems if I dont build one?
  • I've had ZERO problems with my intake kit or throttle body. Go for it. The heatshield is not necesary, I choose to build one. Now I know that I'm getting fresh air. I would recomend screening up the 2 fender holes, though. I would check for water when I first put it in and there would be some in that area. Filter was dry, but I could see a couple of splash marks on the intake piping. With the srceens in place, splashing is better and no more leaves. Remember that the stock air box takes in some water too, don't be too conserned.

You should spend the extra cash and get their ported throttle body. This puts the gain more across the board and noticeable to you. Intake helps more on the high end. With both your car will have a different personality. It also adds a little more Growl coming from under the hood, I like how it sounds, then I put on the Corsa exhaust on and I growl from the front and the back. I'm into good sounds, that why I'm a stereo addict as well, If you don't already know.

Oh ya, If your going for the ported TB too, spend an extra 100 and get the TB plate behind it ported as well. (Not listed) Worth a couple low end numbers.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    I agree with most everything Taylor (800wattaurora) said. We basically worked together on the same mods - intake, TB, and Corsa exhaust.

My opinion on the intake is that if you do the cone filter like Taylor, you should also do the heat shield like he did. I just think the possibility to pull hot air off the engine is too great without it and hot air will hurt power. There is a post on caddyinfo about the performance of a cone filter (on a caddy though) and it lost a little power. I think virtually most of the gain is from the K&N filter media itself. I also think RSM should work with Taylor to implement his heat shield. It's better than what I've seen from K&N on their FIPK kits.

I opted to just gut the air box and open up the bottom larger to match the existing hole below and use the K&N panel filter. I dyno'd it (results and pictures on caddyinfo.com) and it performed well - perhaps about as good as the cold air intake. And I know I always have fresh air too. I also like the fact that the intake duct matches the MAF diameter. You can also pull the sleeve out of the duct and file the edge off of it to smooth the air flow. If you look in there the sleeve creates a large bump in the flow path. I've been really happy with the intake.

The RSM throttle body is great. Taylor and I have both dyno tested it and the thing works. It's not that hard and does add power throughout the power band. With the intake and throttle body, the car is different. Probably in the 270 HP range. If you ever do the throttle body, get the mounting plate (or plenum) piece between it and the intake manifold and have RSM bore that to 80 mm too. Again, these jobs are not hard - Taylor coached me through.

Do the Corsa exhaust and the Aurora gets mean, but is still a totally quite luxury machine on the highway or cruising around town. It's an incredible exhaust system with the quiet cruise.
  • Thanks for the info guys. I am deffinately doing the TB (and plenum). And I am going to go with the RSM air intake just because it just looks cooler. I can live with doing the heat sheild and screening for that.
    For the exhaust I have read in some previous messages that people have had good things to say about the Dynomax turbo mufflers. I guess I will go that route and keep the exhaust pretty much stock. I just want a better sound and a little more flow , but I cant justify spending the loot for the Corsa. Although that is a dream of mine because that system does sound awsome.
    Once it gets a little warm here in Minneapolis I will be doing the TB and air intake jobs. Taylor Im sure you will be hearing from me then for a little instructional help.

Thanks Gentelmen
  • No problem on the info, email me anytime, taylorsturf@attbi.com, you can call me if you have/want to. I'll send you a copy of the install instructions.
    Garnes is so right on saying how the car transforms with this mods. Whole new animal. Figure 290hp with everything. You should be fine with the Dynomax mufflers, but get the overal pipe diameter increased to 2.5 from cat back, stock I believe is 2 1/8 and smaller in the y-pipe back. Corsa is 2.5 stainless throughout.
    If you just went dynomax and increased all the piping to 2.5, you would probably get some great results for power. The stock resonator is straight through, but is small and has some sort of crappy perforated hokey sleeve thing in it as well. It really seems like it would screw with gas flow at higher rpms. If you can lose the resonator and it's not too loud for you - go for it. Others have replace the resonator with another high-flow, straight-through large diameter muffler. That probably mellows it out and still maintains the high performance.

Good luck.
    I am so freaking pleased with this Corsa system, it is just crazy. I want to drive over to each of your houses and take you for a spin so someone will share the experience with me (my wife thinks it sounds nice, but obviously doesn't care as much as me). I had class tonight, so I got to drive it an appreciable distance (about 35 miles). It is sooo great. When you cruise at under 55, there is a bit of a note you hear. But, it gets less and less the faster you go. Above 65 and the cruise is very hard to distinguish from stock (and below 65 it isn't objectionable, but it is louder). When you get on it, the sound is deep, smooth, and burbly. It sounds soo awesome. I'd say it sounds like a muscle car, but in fact it sounds better than a lot of muscle cars. It has more of a smoothness and a very well-defined burble that many muscle cars don't have. Plus, there is zero resonance. The sound is just incredible.

As far as performance, I can honestly say that this one mod made the most noticeable performance difference of anything I've ever bought. The part-throttle punch is noticeably stronger, and it peels out for about twice as long as before. Full throttle feels stronger and the car revs quickly. On the good shifts (still haven't figured out how it picks the shift points) it snaps off at about 6400 rpm instead of the previous 6200.

To quantify my initial statement about the performance, I'd put Flowmasters, a cross-over rear Y-pipe, a larger front Y-pipe that removed two cats, a cold-air induction kit, SLP intake runners, and a performance MAF on my Corvette (maybe more, but I can't think of any. Oh, it had a Hypertech chip, pulleys, and a K&N already when I bought it). None of those mods added as noticeable a performance boost as this Corsa has. The SLP runners felt strong, as did the larger front Y minus the cats. But the Corsa feels like it made a more obvious difference. Maybe this is because the Corvette was already a torque monster and had a weak top end that no bolt-ons could fix (10 fewer hp than the Aurora, but 85 lb-ft more torque)? Or maybe it's just because the Corvette is more distant in my memory. I don't know. I do know the Aurora sounds better than the Corvette did (the Corvette sounded louder and more aggressive and was definitely cool, but it had a drone to it and wasn't as burbly). So I am just floored by the Corsa. It sounds so damn cool, but then quiets down when you want it to.
  • What do you figure was the total costs was?
    How many of your hours involved and did you have to buy anything extra locally to make it all work.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Long time since we've heard from you! I hope all is well! The Corsa system was about $1030 with shipping. And I bought a $20 exhaust cutter because I couldn't find a store that loans them. Trak Auto used to loan tools, but they closed up. All in all I probably spent about 8 hours on it. Not that many all at once, though, but tweaking the tips and retightening everything after a drive. Initially probably 6 hours to jack the car, cut and remove the stock setup, and attach the Corsa (with a lunch break). But it took some tweaking to attach because at first I didn't think it would fit. So someone else could probably do it in less time since they'll have some feedback on it.
    Glad you like it. I was amazed too. However, at a steady cruise, my 98 is extremely quiet at any speed. I don't notice any additional tone around 55 or whatever. But your impressions are basically the same as mine. I personally think a lot of the stock exhaust systems out there are a crime now that I've had this.

NOW - get someone to rev it for you, or drive away. Oh man. It sad you don't get that experience as the driver. You will flip.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I was talking to my mechanic today and we both agreed taht somewhere out there someone has put the caddie 4.6 northstar in the Aurora. But who and where he is nobody knows. Maybe one day he will find our little group.

Hey you Corsa guys, it is the next logical step.
    Your Corsa system reunited with the 4.6?

Garnes, 800watts, Javi ?????
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Posts: 134
    RJS,
    That sounds awesome! I think it backs up the Hot Rodders line that there are few mods you can make to a car that give you better bang for the buck than a well designed exhaust system.
    (Everything you said about the Corsa on your Aurora I found after I put a Borla system on my Ford Probe. I know it sounds like two completely different applications, but the two motors are similar in being much more highly tuned right from the factory than most. I wish I could afford to put the Corsa on my Aurora too, but I just can't justify the $1000. (The Probe's Borla only cost $450!) I guess I'll be doing DynoMax or some mild Flowmasters.

Anyway, congrats! I know exactly how you feel, it's like driving a whole new car, isn't it?
    Now get out there and womp on some "fast and the furious" wannabes!

Jim

PS: Being that it's a "cat-back" system, shouldn't the Subject line be "Holy Cats"? Egad. Bad joke!
  • I am thinking about changing out the mufflers for something that gives more power without a lot more noise. I DO NOT want my wife to notice an increase in noise if possible. I hear of brands like Dynomax and Flowmasters used. What would be my best choice for something I can do locally as far as muffler replacement?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Henry - the next logical step is for YOU get the Corsa system.

Aurora5000 - any free flowing exhaust improvement is going to make it louder. There is no way around it. However there are a lot of differences in sound quality. Raspy and blatty (even if not really loud) will offend. I have a hunch the Corsa system is the best thing going for the Northstar. It's literally tuned for the engine. At idle or cruise is virtually stock quiet. The added sound under throttle is not rude or anything. It sounds really nice - kind of like hearing a muscle car, but smoother.

That's about all I can say. I was VERY worried about being loud and I LOVE the Corsa system. My wife thinks it's plenty quiet and really doesn't even notice. If you get this, the car will not be embarrassing or anything. Road trips will be pretty much stock quiet.
    If you go with typical baffled or packed mufflers, the only real way to get less restriction is to allow more sound through. To some extent, better materials and designs also play a role, but when you are talking about Flowmaster or Dynomax, they are probably similar in tech to the OEM mufflers. Dynomaxs will probably have a similar sound if you get a similar size, but they will also probably have similar restriction to the OEM exhaust. If you step up to larger or freer Dynomax's, you will get more sound. Same with the Flowmasters. They have a series of quietish mufflers, but I'd bet they would still be a fair amount louder than stock. If you want to car to be as quiet as stock, you probably aren't going to be able to improve the flow at all. You could try a performance cat or something, but that too will probably add sound.

As I've been driving the car more, I've noticed some things. As I said, cruising under 50-55mph there is a tiny bit of a note. It isn't stock quiet. Over 55, it is basically stock quiet unless you push the gas a little. But the nice thing is the note under 55. It isn't a resonance or droning. It is a very subtle burble. The burbling is still quite well defined, though. So, it's like a subtle reminder of what's under your foot. It's really cool. Also, the sound does seem to come basically from the back. Obviously it bounces around and such, plus low tones are not directional. But it does seem to come mostly from behind.

Steve, if you want your wife to not mind the sound, the Corsa or a stock sized Dynomax is probably the best bet. If you want to change it on the sly, the Corsa would never pull it off. But the Dynomax may not either, and won't give nearly the boost. Perhaps you can sell it as a fuel economy booster?
This discussion has been closed.