Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    We all LOVE our cars here. But I think you have taken to a new level.
    :) :blush:
  • kurzzkurzz Posts: 4
    Thank You.
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Check the oil. If the oil looks the same way you're probably looking at a head gasket or cracked head.
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Was thinking the same thing alcan mentioned. I've heard of head gasket problems on the '95's, due to the use of the old "green" coolant on aluminum engines. This is one of the reasons why they switched to the orange DexCool for '96 and later NorthStars, and why I wouldn't put the old green coolant in. It's also why I get my coolant flushed regularly...

--Robert
    There are a couple of ways to clean fuel injectors:

1) Use a machine that hooks up in-line with the fuel system, and run a special fluid through the injectors
    2) Use a gas supplement like Chevron's Techron (the link to the additive must have moved, here's more info from a link talking about their gas with the Techron additive already in it. I can't get that here in Wisconsin - no Chevron stations :-(

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/techrongas/advantage.shtml

If you've never had it done, and/or you're having injector problems, I recommend option 1). If you've got a fairly new car, and/or you're not having any problems, I would go with option 2) (I do that on my wife's Envoy every 8k miles or so, and will do the same on my GTO - had #1 done on my Aurora last spring, and also put in the Techron).
    EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

From http://www.americascarshow.com/glossary/Welcome.html?index=E

"The EGR Valve is an intricate part of a car’s exhaust emission control system. Here’s what it does: the valve is used to introduce exhaust gases into the intake manifold air stream. By using this procedure of readmitting a small amount of exhaust stream into the engine’s combustion chamber, peak combustion chambers are reduced and so are engine emissions. EGR Valves are very touchy because of the very nature of their design and function, feeding exhaust gas back into the engine and are therefore susceptible to clogging up from carbon deposit buildup. This is why it’s so important to keep your engine in tiptop operating condition so that the engine runs clean resulting in a clean EGR Valve and system."

May be time to try to clean up the intake/throttle body (butterfly valve)/EGR valve with some intake cleaner (don't use carburator cleaner) and see if things are any better...

--Robert
  • alonzohamalonzoham Posts: 2
    I checked the oil and transmission fluid and they are normal.
    I'd get the coolant flushed, and put Dex-Cool in it, especially if you don't know the maintenance history. Maybe someone mixed anti-freeze types, or somehow put something else in. Flush, then monitor. If the new stuff starts to change color/you keep getting low coolant warnings (check the coolant level daily - a little air in the system the first couple of days after the flush is not uncommon), then Houston, you have a problem.

Any puddles under the car? (I had a water pump leak intermittently until it seized - thankfully under warranty).

--Robert
  • auroraloanauroraloan Posts: 1
    How do I remove the passenger side door panel on an 02 Aurora? I have a terrible squeaking noise and it's driving me nuts? I've read you just lift up, you loosen some screws that I don't see...anyone have the correct answer? :mad:
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    Well, I can't post a link to door panel removal instructions. So I will mention that I'm sure such information exists on the web. There's probably some kind of club for auroras in north america that could tell you how to remove a door panel. Good luck with it!
  • aurora1999aurora1999 Posts: 6
    I stopped by a shop in my town and the mechanic said that there was a gm defect reported that the torque converter, was bad and something that if you have a green dot on it GM has to replace that part. Have you heard anything about that?? I tried looking for it but I can not seem to find that defect.. The guy said that he had some record of the defect he just could not find it.
    However I was told that the EGR would bring up a code and it has not yet, so I'll go and have this guy look it over.

Thanks
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Posts: 61
    I have a 96 Aurora and the rear view mirror is very loose and shakes like crazy when I drive. Is there a way to tighten this up? It is not the part that glues to the windshield, it is the piece that goes onto it. It also has the autodimmer. Thanks

paul
  • coreyb99coreyb99 Posts: 2
    Hello out there. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. My 99 aurora starts hard. It will start after about 5 or 6 seconds. If it doesn't it sounds like it backfires, but when i try to start it again it will start up after about 5 more seconds of trying. When it starts black smoke comes from the tail pipe and it smells like fuel(real rich smell). The smoke only comes out when it is initially started after that it runs good. It doesn't bog down or hesitate at all. Black smoke does not come out during normal driving, but if you were to mash on the gas while driving you will get a puff of black smoke. I'm positive it's completely black smoke. Also you can hear the engine idling between 1000 and 1500 rpm(it never seems to level out). There is no check engine light. I've changed the plugs, fuel filter, I've added marvel mystery oil to my gas. Can someone help me with what is probably right in front of my face :confuse: . Thank you.
  • autobahn95autobahn95 Posts: 62
    Coreyb99-

The symptoms you are describing point exactly to the fuel pressure regulator. I also had this problem about 2 years ago on my 95. It starts hard, and mine did actually stall on me once before I was able to replace the part. It's a very easy job, you just have to remove the plastic cover over the engine. The new regulator was around 50$ (if I remember correctly ) and takes a total of 10 minutes to change yourself.
    If you need more details just ask.
    good luck
    Pete
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Posts: 573
    Fuel pressure regulator (FPR). If you search previous posts, you will find many discussions about it. Replace only with ACDelco part. About $45 from internet sources, $75 or more from GM dealers.

Les
  • coreyb99coreyb99 Posts: 2
    :D Wow thanks a million. It was the fuel pressure regulator. I really appreciate the feedback so quickly. I cant believe what a difference the part made. The car starts right up. :)

Thanks Again
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Posts: 61
    C'mon folks, anyone got an fix for this? I can't be the only one that has ever come across this. Thanks

paul
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    Today in BRooklyn the 95 starts to surge when I stop or slow down for lights (In Brooklyn a red light means "maybe I should think about stopping"). I also noticed that the car was overheating. Well I had to get it home from Brooklyn to New Jersey. This of course meant taking the car through the HOLLAND TUNNEL.

Given my history with this car, fuel problems and the Holland Tunnel, Iwas not a happy camper. Well as soon as I got about a 10th of a mile into the tunnel the car's rpms drop. I am like I dont believe it -- INSTANT REPLAY.

I looked again and the car had not shut-off, it had just stopped surging. For the rest of the trip on the highway the car seemed fine and I got it home with the SES light going on and off.

From what I have researched on this board, the surgeing may be a dirty throttle body, faulty FPR or fuel pump.

The overheating is of more concern, When I checked the coolant it was clear like there was not collant in it just water. I got the car home by turning on the heat to help cool the engine down. But now I am concerned as to why the car was overheating in the first place. It never actually got into the red, but when I opened the reserve tank the water boiled over the top. I am thinking it may be a simple thing like I need a new thermostat??

Comments, answers, questions are appreciated.

Henri
  • oldsmobileoldsmobile Posts: 1
    need to know where the starter is located on a 97 aurora
    I believe it is underneath the intake, in the "valley" of the engine, but don't know this from personal experience, sorry!

--Robert